Canadians Looking to Sail With Princess...Check The FAQs!

ceilidh1

17 minutes ago, Barry H said:

Here are some things I learned.

Princess is following CDC rules on vaccination. This also applies to cruises out of Southampton.

Carnival Corp Executive Management has decided to require vaccinations through the end of 2021 (past the conditional sail order). That is not to say that the mixed vaccination rule could change. Everything is in flux. Check the web site daily.

When these threads first started showing up, I was convinced it was the CDC behind all of this as it went across the board to all cruise lines sailing out of the U.S.  This is yet another reason why the CDC's waffling and last minute goal post moving is causing them some trouble in the U.S. Courts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisintoddler said:

I read that article, and it's pure sound bites from the premiers. The government can't do anything with WHO without peer reviewed, substantive, scientific studies to back them up. And those studies have not yet been completed. 

And AZ is not the problem, since it is WHO approved. It's the mixing of AZ with mRNA vaccines thats the problem. And that approval will take time. Using unproven shortcuts like a 3rd shot might cause more problems  than it's worth, if it causes severe side effects...

And it's interesting that some of the Canadians here harp about the US only accepting CDC approved vaccines, but they have no problem with Canada only accepting Canada's approved vaccines, and not the full roster of WHO approved ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry H said:

This morning I received a phone call from Julie in response to my email to Jan Swartz. This confirms that all e-mails sent to jswartz@princesscruises.com are read.

We talked for ~40 minutes on the mixed vaccination topic and other related issues. Here are some things I learned.

Princess is following CDC rules on vaccination. This also applies to cruises out of Southampton.

Carnival Corp Executive Management has decided to require vaccinations through the end of 2021 (past the conditional sail order). That is not to say that the mixed vaccination rule could change. Everything is in flux. Check the web site daily.

Her first suggestion was that I get a third vaccine. When I told her that the Ontario Provincial health department (Hamilton) notified us that booster shots are not permitted she investigated whether I would get a medical exemption. Unfortunately for me our cruise is at capacity for medical exemptions.

If you cancel before final payment due to having mixed vaccines Princess will waive all cancellation fees.

I did mention that RCI is accepting mixed vaccinations for European cruises and the medical studies from UK and Europe that show better antibody response from AZ/mRNA mix than two AZ. 

If Ontario won't offer a third shot, I wonder if I could drive to Quebec to receive one. 

I have also sent emails to my MP, Christine Elliott and Chrystia Freeland regarding this matter. I have not received a response from any of them.

Thanks for the summary.   It appears to be very inconsistent and unreasonable as the UK may have their own rules that may be in conflict with the CDC. 

In regards to cancellations, my understanding is that you have up to 30 days before the sailing date, without penalty.   Instead of getting a refund though you will get a future cruise credit.

3 hours ago, cruisintoddler said:

LOL.  If PM JT can't/won't arm twist POTUS to open the land border to match Canada's opening of same, then I doubt he is going to arm twist the US policy on vaccines.  And the US isn't going to be the only country where there may be issues accepting a mixed vaccine schedule.

PS - I do see you added the eye-roll emoji, so thinking you see same situation as me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

LOL.  If PM JT can't/won't arm twist POTUS to open the land border to match Canada's opening of same, then I doubt he is going to arm twist the US policy on vaccines.  And the US isn't going to be the only country where there may be issues accepting a mixed vaccine schedule.

PS - I do see you added the eye-roll emoji, so thinking you see same situation as me.

A bunch of you could join the Florida lawsuit against the CDC, but you would need to do it in a different Court than Florida.

This is getting a lot of press.   CBC released a summary of what quebec is doing.   This is going to put a lot of pressure on the federal government in an election year to resolve this issue, by either provided additional doses to those who received the mixed vaccine or work with other countries to accept the mixed dose.   I would think the pressure will start to raise on the feds.   The ontario government sent a letter to Trudeau on getting this resolved.   There is no love lost between Ford and Trudeau.   Ford will want to make Trudeau take the fall for this.   Trudeau's has to get this resolved, or it will cost him votes, and he will need the most that he can get!

Dr. Tam normally gives her briefings on Tuesday.  Lets see how that goes...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Barry H said:

Here are some things I learned.

Nope, ain't gonna do that.

As I posted on the RCI board (we're active RCI and Princess cruisers) they can keep their damn cruises. When I have to check web sites daily because policies are constantly changing, find out today I can't cruise but yesterday I could, be told I can cruise when I can't, learn that the agents on the phone know less than I do about their own policy, can't get a straight answer out of anyone, see CDC rules that are constantly fought over and changed in the courts, have to practically beg people to take my money, well, I'm just not going to do that. When the cruise lines are able to provide a service that I want to pay for, they'll get my money. Until then, they can all rot afaic.

We had a cruise planned for November and we cancelled it. Got our money back in full before its too late. We have a 12 day scheduled for next year in the UK which is looking more in doubt as the days pass and a 10 day in 2023 - God knows if that one will be possible. Why anyone would book a cruise for this year without a written guarantee that their situation will be considered fully vaccinated is a mystery to me. 

The cruise lines made a terrible error in my books. This entire vaccine nonsense should have been resolved BEFORE they lurched out of the starting blocks not mid-race. What they've done is allow people to book under one rule, changed it and as a result excluded good loyal paying customers. Lets face it, ain't no noobies looking to cruise right now. Its people who have cruised before and are itching to cruise again so yeah, lets go ahead and screw them over. It'll be great for business. All these cruise lines have armies of lawyers, this should have been fought over and resolved one way or the other BEFORE trying to resume operations so that people knew where they stood from the get-go. Then as time progresses, rules could be relaxed and not tightened as they have done.

For an industry that has been shut down for over a year and already had a bad image, it boggles my mind just how poorly this has been handled and communicated. At this point, I seriously wonder about the future of this industry given its current leadership, the legal fights on-going and a country that has lost control of the virus once again.

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, mom says said:

And AZ is not the problem, since it is WHO approved. It's the mixing of AZ with mRNA vaccines thats the problem. And that approval will take time. Using unproven shortcuts like a 3rd shot might cause more problems  than it's worth, if it causes severe side effects..

Just come to the US, and get a third shot.

Even with lottery tickets, gift cards, etc the US can't give away vaccine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Just come to the US, and get a third shot.

Even with lottery tickets, gift cards, etc the US can't give away vaccine.

It is what I would likely do if I were in the mixed dose situation.  Land border should be opening soon - my bet is right after Labor Day.

Edited by Steelers36

We have spare doses in Canada.   Now that Quebec is giving third doses, other provinces should follow.   This will be an interesting week.  Lets see what the feds say in their briefing this week.

I don't think the CDC is going to change, and hence the cruiselines won't as well.

1 minute ago, tert333 said:

We have spare doses in Canada.   Now that Quebec is giving third doses, other provinces should follow.   This will be an interesting week.  Lets see what the feds say in their briefing this week.

I don't think the CDC is going to change, and hence the cruiselines won't as well.

Think you are right with Quebec allowing 3 rd dose for travel reasons. Saw in News today Sask May follow as well. Best to get it in Canada , keep it in your Ontario Health records. 

when are you travelling?  

52 minutes ago, dog said:

Think you are right with Quebec allowing 3 rd dose for travel reasons. Saw in News today Sask May follow as well. Best to get it in Canada , keep it in your Ontario Health records. 

when are you travelling?  

The more provinces that sign on to providing doses the better.   This will put pressure on the other provinces.   Trudeau came on a press conference and talked about how great it is that there are more vaccines now than is required to vaccinate the target group.   He talked about how he is working with other countries on getting the Canadian vaccination approach approved.    He could be talking from now until the next election in four years with the CDC. 

I have a trip originating out of the UK in September.  I contacted Princess and they said they are following CDC rules.  It makes no sense to me that a ship sailing out of the UK is following the CDC rules.  However, when I escalated it to customer service they said a decision has not been made.   If you look on the website for UK cruises, it is very unclear on the vaccination policy for UK cruises after the ones that are just for the UK citizens. 

Celebrity Cruises allow mixed vaccines out of UK.

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

The more provinces that sign on to providing doses the better.   This will put pressure on the other provinces.   Trudeau came on a press conference and talked about how great it is that there are more vaccines now than is required to vaccinate the target group.   He talked about how he is working with other countries on getting the Canadian vaccination approach approved.    He could be talking from now until the next election in four years with the CDC. 

I have a trip originating out of the UK in September.  I contacted Princess and they said they are following CDC rules.  It makes no sense to me that a ship sailing out of the UK is following the CDC rules.  However, when I escalated it to customer service they said a decision has not been made.   If you look on the website for UK cruises, it is very unclear on the vaccination policy for UK cruises after the ones that are just for the UK citizens. 

Celebrity Cruises allow mixed vaccines out of UK.

What are those who live in UK on your cruise say their requirements are?

That should give you a better idea then what you are being told on phone/email to Princess IMO.

Sept. 2021--Are you thinking this will go or be cancelled?

Are you allowed to fly into UK testing? quarantine?  ( I have not kept up with your situation.)

My cruise out of Southampton isn't until March 28/22 and I am not confident it will go.

Anyway, today I heard more in Ontario news about mixed vax travel...so hope the best for you---soon.

I see you are on Regal Sept 30/21. I did the Spain/ France cruise a few years ago. Stop in St Peter’s Port too. One port cancelled. Wonder about restrictions covid in France?  

1 hour ago, dog said:

I see you are on Regal Sept 30/21. I did the Spain/ France cruise a few years ago. Stop in St Peter’s Port too. One port cancelled. Wonder about restrictions covid in France?  

Yes, you are right.  It is looking that it may be better not to go.   However, with a mixed vaccine, who knows what kind of future issues that we will have. 

I should have stuck with a second dose of AZ, but the recommendation even from my doctor was to go with the mRNA.  

Our Prime Minister gets on the TV to talk about the great vaccine rollout.  He neglected to say anything about the hundreds of thousands of people are going to have ongoing problems travelling in other countries.  

i wonder when he is going to get a third dose.

• Like 1

I sent an e-mail to my MP, Christine Elliott and Premier Ford this morning. Maybe if enough people make their wishes known, we can get a third shot. Here is the content:

I followed the advice of the provincial covid task force and took the first vaccine available to me. That turned out to be AstraZenica in April and then Moderna in June.

On July 16 Carnival Corp announced that those with mixed vaccination would be considered as unvaccinated and would be denied boarding.

I appreciate the province requesting the federal government to approach WHO to get mixed vaccinations accepted as fully vaccinated internationally.

However, I recognize the WHO moves slowly and the issue would not be resolved prior to my planned cruise.

Cruise Lines refer to CDC rules and I cannot rely on those rules to change in the near term.

The Quebec government is permitting those with mixed vaccination to get a third dose of an mRNA vaccine in order to travel internationally.

I request the Ontario government to follow the lead of Quebec in allowing those with confirmed 2021 international travel plans to get an additional shot of mRNA vaccine.

Like Quebec, this third dose would be provided at the risk of the recipient (as there are no scientific studies).

I will take an additional shot if it means that I can complete my vacation plans.

At the present time Canada has received 68 million doses of vaccine, more than two doses for every eligible Canadian.

With an excess of vaccine and as mass vaccination clinics are being wound down, getting an additional dose would not delay others from being vaccinated.

I request your advocacy on behalf of those who followed the government recommendations and are now being discriminated for doing so.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Barry H said:

I sent an e-mail to my MP, Christine Elliott and Premier Ford this morning. Maybe if enough people make their wishes known, we can get a third shot. Here is the content:

I followed the advice of the provincial covid task force and took the first vaccine available to me. That turned out to be AstraZenica in April and then Moderna in June.

On July 16 Carnival Corp announced that those with mixed vaccination would be considered as unvaccinated and would be denied boarding.

I appreciate the province requesting the federal government to approach WHO to get mixed vaccinations accepted as fully vaccinated internationally.

However, I recognize the WHO moves slowly and the issue would not be resolved prior to my planned cruise.

Cruise Lines refer to CDC rules and I cannot rely on those rules to change in the near term.

The Quebec government is permitting those with mixed vaccination to get a third dose of an mRNA vaccine in order to travel internationally.

I request the Ontario government to follow the lead of Quebec in allowing those with confirmed 2021 international travel plans to get an additional shot of mRNA vaccine.

Like Quebec, this third dose would be provided at the risk of the recipient (as there are no scientific studies).

I will take an additional shot if it means that I can complete my vacation plans.

At the present time Canada has received 68 million doses of vaccine, more than two doses for every eligible Canadian.

With an excess of vaccine and as mass vaccination clinics are being wound down, getting an additional dose would not delay others from being vaccinated.

I request your advocacy on behalf of those who followed the government recommendations and are now being discriminated for doing so.

Great Note.  I sent one earlier in the week, similar to what you said.  I called my MPP again today. We need many people talking to our elected officials.   It will be swept under the carpet if we dont keep them on it.   Who knows how long it will take the world health or CDC to accept mixed vaxines.  I think we will need to look at a plan B if you want to cruise in north america in the near future.

• Like 1

@Barry H I noticed that nowhere in your letter  did you cite any reliable scientific evidence that 3rd doses were safe and without significant side effects.  Ford and Elliott both have a history of not following the science if they think it will benefit them politically. I would much rather wait for the science than to jump in blindly,  out of expediency, not need. And tourist travel is not a need. 

Just because Quebec is allowing it- and I'd really love to see the science behind that- doesn't mean everyone should blindly follow suit just because a few people want to jump on a cruise ship this year. 

Every time I read something like this I'm reminded of a certain politician loudly singing the praises of hydroxychloroquine and swallowing disinfectant. Because, hey, couldn't hurt to try, right?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, Barry H said:

This morning I received a phone call from Julie in response to my email to Jan Swartz. This confirms that all e-mails sent to jswartz@princesscruises.com are read.

We talked for ~40 minutes on the mixed vaccination topic and other related issues. Here are some things I learned.

Her first suggestion was that I get a third vaccine. When I told her that the Ontario Provincial health department (Hamilton) notified us that booster shots are not permitted she investigated whether I would get a medical exemption. Unfortunately for me our cruise is at capacity for medical exemptions.

If you cancel before final payment due to having mixed vaccines Princess will waive all cancellation fees.

I did mention that RCI is accepting mixed vaccinations for European cruises and the medical studies from UK and Europe that show better antibody response from AZ/mRNA mix than two AZ. 

If Ontario won't offer a third shot, I wonder if I could drive to Quebec to receive one. 

I have also sent emails to my MP, Christine Elliott and Chrystia Freeland regarding this matter. I have not received a response from any of them.

Barry,

I just found this on the Holland America website.

For cruises departing outside of the United States, you may be regarded as fully vaccinated if you have received your first dose of AstraZeneca followed by a single dose of mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) to complete the 2-dose series.

Jan Swartz is the President of Holland America, as well as Princess and is part of the Carnival Corp Executive.  Holland America allows it, but Princess does not??

The message is so inconsistent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tert333 said:

Barry,

I just found this on the Holland America website.

For cruises departing outside of the United States, you may be regarded as fully vaccinated if you have received your first dose of AstraZeneca followed by a single dose of mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) to complete the 2-dose series.

Jan Swartz is the President of Holland America, as well as Princess and is part of the Carnival Corp Executive.  Holland America allows it, but Princess does not??

The message is so inconsistent.

Indeed and its why we have cancelled all cruise plans for 2021 with 2022 now on thin ice. How can you book a cruise when you have no idea if they will actually let you on board? When we booked both of our fall cruises were were assured that our vaccine regimen was fine and no Princess documentation indicated otherwise. A few weeks later we find out maybe we can't cruise. A call to Princess resolved nothing as the agents kept telling us we were ok to travel while their own FAQ indicated we weren't. Even customer relations had no idea what the policy was. So, unless and until I get a written guarantee that I will be ok to cruise, I will not book another cruise. Travelling to another country, booking air and hotels, rental cars, shore excursions takes a lot of work and money. With the possibility that it all gets flushed at the last minute with a shrug by Princess or any other cruise line is bonkers. Not doing it.

I just can't believe how poorly they've managed this and its given me serious pause to ever consider stepping foot on a cruise ship again and this is from someone who has been on 30 cruises. We all know that newbies are not cruising now so it boggles my mind that they're treating loyal returning customers in such a slipshod fashion. They can ill afford to do so.

When and if they get their poop in a group I'll reconsider cruising but not until and even then I'll do so with a healthy dose of suspicion.

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 1

Other than the concerns regarding mixed vaccines, has any concerns been raised regarding the interval between the 2 vaccine doses? According to the CDC, the second dose is to be administered within 4 to 6 weeks of the first dose (based on what I saw before, I may be wrong). However, in Canada, our second dose typically was beyond that timeline. Will that be deemed to be unacceptable by Princess? Do you think they will check that? 

20 minutes ago, CCBB said:

Other than the concerns regarding mixed vaccines, has any concerns been raised regarding the interval between the 2 vaccine doses? According to the CDC, the second dose is to be administered within 4 to 6 weeks of the first dose (based on what I saw before, I may be wrong). However, in Canada, our second dose typically was beyond that timeline. Will that be deemed to be unacceptable by Princess? Do you think they will check that? 

I would like to clarify that my above question was referring to the two doses both being mRNA type, e.g. Pfizer.

18 minutes ago, CCBB said:

I would like to clarify that my above question was referring to the two doses both being mRNA type, e.g. Pfizer.

My second receipt/ proof of vaccines does not give date of first dose. Says I received 2 valid does of Pfizer.