Boarding denied for NOT bringing a CPAP?!

June Bug

I'm on a BIPAP and can not even take a nap without it. We always use bottle water when traveling,  and if not mistaken the water on board a ship is distilled sea water then filtered and reverse osmosis. Safe to use from the tap, you just don't want to use hard water or water that may have bacteria In it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nascarcruiser said:

But again of they bring you the water I've never heard of them asking to see it. 

Maybe this is a new protocol because they don't allow ones that use O2. But again, that wouldn't have been a concern since she didn't have it. Still mysterious.

3 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Certainly a Facebook post was true and complete. 

It was detailed but I missed the exact reason why the first passenger was denied boarding for failing to fill out the health questionnaire. I'll have to watch it again later to see if I can catch that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It was detailed but I missed the exact reason why the first passenger was denied boarding for failing to fill out the health questionnaire. I'll have to watch it again later to see if I can catch that.

Yes, that was very confusing. I couldn't get the correlation between the missing health questionnaire and her limit on her debit / credit card?

16 hours ago, roguebandit1441 said:

I'm on a BIPAP and can not even take a nap without it. We always use bottle water when traveling,  and if not mistaken the water on board a ship is distilled sea water then filtered and reverse osmosis. Safe to use from the tap, you just don't want to use hard water or water that may have bacteria In it.

While I've been told that using ship's water is okay for a CPAP for a short period, there are some considerations to be taken.  First, ship's water is either distilled or reverse osmosis, they don't do both to the same water, just two different ways to make water.  Also, some ships that are port intensive, will need to take on water in port, so your tap water on the ship can be a blend of distilled, reverse osmosis, and local municipal water, so hardness can vary.  Further, distilled water is acidic, so it attacks piping, and also tends to draw minerals from your teeth, so it is "rehardened" by passing it through calcium carbonate (the antacid ingredient in Tums), so there will be some carbonate in the water.  All of this can lead to mineral deposits in the CPAP water reservoir and tubing, and so it may require cleaning more often.  Finally, while the tap water at home is chlorinated at the municipal plant, by the time it gets to your house the chlorine is generally dissipated.  A ship is different, and must maintain, and continually measure, a residual chlorine content in the water at all times.  So, using tap water on the ship directly into your CPAP can lead to inhaling chlorine fumes.  To counteract this, fill the reservoir with water in the morning, and leave it sit.  By bedtime, the chlorine will have dissipated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If someone uses a CPAP I can see them trying to get by for a few days without.  Not that I would under threat from DW that she'd toss me off the balcony😁 But I would think that a BiPAP user would never want to leave home without it. so either there's more to the story that we don't know ( and maybe never will) or the woman is a blithering ejit.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

If someone uses a CPAP I can see them trying to get by for a few days without.  Not that I would under threat from DW that she'd toss me off the balcony😁 But I would think that a BiPAP user would never want to leave home without it. so either there's more to the story that we don't know ( and maybe never will) or the woman is a blithering ejit.

MY husband too. 

2 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Yes, that was very confusing. I couldn't get the correlation between the missing health questionnaire and her limit on her debit / credit card?

I'm glad it's not just me. In re-listening it almost sounds like she could have done a questionnaire at the pier and paid a fee but she couldn't pay the fee since she had no money on her debit card. But it was my understanding that any fees at that point would have been charged to the onboard account.

3 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

When she didn't complete the hq they cancelled the reservation and started the refund process.

She would have been allowed to board if she could pay the fare, but she couldn't due to the funds in her account because she only had a debit card.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

What he stated happened was, (or is my understanding of the situation), that she stated she filled out her form 72 hours in advance, but for whatever reason, Carnival didn’t see it, so they canceled her cruise and issued an automatic refund to her, which takes 3-5 business days to show up in her bank account.  When she got to port and found they didn’t have that form, it sounds like that they possibly were going to allow her to fill out the short form there, but only if she could repay the cruise fare that she now owed since it was refunded.  But because the credit wasn’t showing up on her debit/credit card yet, she did not have enough funds to pay for the cruise yet again.  That’s why she had to leave.  But my brother is a travel agent. I told him this story and he said if she had a PVP or a travel agent, she could have called them and they could have gotten her banking company and Carnival on the phone regarding this credit issue.  He said he’s actually done it for cruises and flights several times, and gotten it resolved so people could move forward on their vacations…so never leave until you’ve called your bank and Carnival and your travel agent.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, June Bug said:

What he stated happened was, (or is my understanding of the situation), that she stated she filled out her form 72 hours in advance, but for whatever reason, Carnival didn’t see it, so they canceled her cruise and issued an automatic refund to her, 

OK so that Health Assessment has to be filled out 72 hours before the cruise. Just When is it suppose to be available to fill out? Plus Carnival didnt seem to mess around. I wonder if theres any way of verifying that they received the finished form?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sailingships said:

OK so that Health Assessment has to be filled out 72 hours before the cruise. Just When is it suppose to be available to fill out? Plus Carnival didnt seem to mess around. I wonder if theres any way of verifying that they received the finished form?

I believe I've read here somewhere that it becomes available a couple of weeks before your cruise. I also have read that people have filled it out and it reflects that it is done, but when logging back into Carnival later it reflects that it has NOT been done. Some people reported filling it out several times before it finally took. I suspect it might read like the 'View Vaccination Status' that I can see on my account - since I have filled it out there is a line through that form name showing that it is no longer needed. 

7 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I believe I've read here somewhere that it becomes available a couple of weeks before your cruise. I also have read that people have filled it out and it reflects that it is done, but when logging back into Carnival later it reflects that it has NOT been done. Some people reported filling it out several times before it finally took. I suspect it might read like the 'View Vaccination Status' that I can see on my account - since I have filled it out there is a line through that form name showing that it is no longer needed. 

I cruise in 7 days.  It states that they’ll send you an email to fill out the remaining health question form 72 hours before your cruise. The 14-16 days link is for registering all your info and choosing a boarding time. It only asks at that time if you are vaccinated but not if you’ve had symptoms or exposure. That’s to be answered at the 72 hours mark. I have no way of knowing if there’s a way to verify they received it.  I may take a screenshot and print it outside take it with me, in case.   

49 minutes ago, sailingships said:

I believe it stated to be on the lookout for an email to link to the form, to be filled out 72 hours prior to cruising.  I’m going to take a screenshot of mine, after filling it out, and print it and take it to port with me.  We cruise in 7 days so I’ll let you know how it goes. 

4 minutes ago, June Bug said:

I believe it stated to be on the lookout for an email to link to the form, to be filled out 72 hours prior to cruising.  I’m going to take a screenshot of mine, after filling it out, and print it and take it to port with me.  We cruise in 7 days so I’ll let you know how it goes. 

Thanks My cruise is in August. I cant keep up with all the new requirements.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sailingships said:

I’m going to take a screenshot of mine, after filling it out, and print it and take it to port with me.

That would not help you much.  From what I understand, Carnival had already cancelled the Woman's cruise before she got to the Port because they didn't have the HQ on file.  You would still need to pay your cruise fare again, since Carnival would have already refunded your money for the cruise.

I wonder if somehow it came out that she had medical conditions that made it where she couldn't sail and it actually has little to do with the CPAP.  Or, alternatively, I wonder if she somehow found out that she could not bring the particular type of bipap or Cpap that she had (perhaps one that required oxygen) and then they found out that she didn't bring one at all and worried that she would be a health risk. One has to remember that these are not normal times.  Their concern might not have been so much that when well she needed it but should she get Covid and need to be quarantined for an extended period of time that she would be without it.  I can see the need for a bipap or cpap being more serious if one is ill with a respiratory disease.  

I just showed the video to my husband who is a physician and he said he understands why they would not let you on there if you use one. It sucks, but he said he understands it because they don't want to be liable if you go into some sort of respiratory distress. Moral of the story: If you don't use it regularly, don't mention it on the health questionnaire. If you mention it on the health questionnaire, you better darn sure bring it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

Video is way way off topic re CPAP. I will leave this as it is for now but please get back on topic. Thanks 

The video does talk about the CPAP. You just have to watch it all the way through. He first talks about the women who did not have the funds on her card and then, about half way through, talks about the CPAP issue. He is talking about the two issues related to why he has seen people denied boarding lately. Frankly, I think this is good for people to know because it would suck after not cruising for so long to literally be on board and have to leave.

• Like 1