Bed width - Queen configuration

ILCTCRUISER

There has been a thread about this before, but I’m not sure if there has been a final, definitive answer.  I’d appreciate any help finding out the overall width of bed in queen configuration.  Strange question, I know…but knowing this would help.  

Anyone currently on board who might be able to check this.  Thank you in advance.

23 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

The old post you mention might be the old bed measurements too.

Not on board a ship, but here is Customer Service for Princess Luxury Bed.

(702) 479-4045

retail@princessluxurybed.com

I'm not sure if "Luxury Bed" folks can help. They sell mattresses of all sizes for home use.

The mattresses used on the ship are not queen sized, but 2 twins put together, and I'm not sure if they are the same size as those made for the home market.

• Like 1

Just now, skynight said:

The queen is actually two 30 inch wide single beds together. Therefore, 60 inches wide.

Good to know as I have not measured, but I did think the Queen config was slightly wider than a normal Queen (which is indeed 60").  Sure it isn't any wider than 2 x 30"?

• Like 1

Sixty inches wide is a standard queen in N. America and Australia. Europe and Latin America have a different standard.  I would have thought the ships beds would be Euro sized.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Good to know as I have not measured, but I did think the Queen config was slightly wider than a normal Queen (which is indeed 60").  Sure it isn't any wider than 2 x 30"?

If the single beds are 30" wide, how can a queen configuration be any bigger than 60" ? After all, the same beds are used.

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If the single beds are 30" wide, how can a queen configuration be any bigger than 60" ? After all, the same beds are used.

Okay, I will re-phrase.  Are we sure each single mattress is only 30" wide?  I was thinking the total width was a bit wider than the normal Queen (60").  A while back we switched to singles config as it gives us a more open space to work with.

Thanks to all for your comments. I did do an online chat w/Princess and the rep researched and came up with zilch.  She could tell me the size of an upper berth.  She could tell me the specs of the ladder to reach the upper berth.  But that was it.  I think it may have something to do with sourcing of mattresses.  If the Princess beds follow the euro standard, then they may be bigger than the American standard queen.  Two singles together become 71 inches which is the equivalent of the euro grand king and close to the American California king.  That may also help to explain RCL's king-sized bed.  It's not an American standard king.  I've never measured but it simply doesn't look that big.  THANKS AGAIN for all of your help!

Popular European mattress sizes:

• Grand King = 180 cm x 200 cm – 71 in x 79 in
  • King = 160 cm x 200 cm – 63 in x 79 in
  • Double = 140 cm x 200 cm – 55 in x 79 in
  • Single = 90 cm x 200 cm – 35.5 in x 79 in

1 hour ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Thanks to all for your comments. I did do an online chat w/Princess and the rep researched and came up with zilch.  She could tell me the size of an upper berth.  She could tell me the specs of the ladder to reach the upper berth.  But that was it.  I think it may have something to do with sourcing of mattresses.  If the Princess beds follow the euro standard, then they may be bigger than the American standard queen.  Two singles together become 71 inches which is the equivalent of the euro grand king and close to the American California king.  That may also help to explain RCL's king-sized bed.  It's not an American standard king.  I've never measured but it simply doesn't look that big.  THANKS AGAIN for all of your help!

Popular European mattress sizes:

• Grand King = 180 cm x 200 cm – 71 in x 79 in
  • King = 160 cm x 200 cm – 63 in x 79 in
  • Double = 140 cm x 200 cm – 55 in x 79 in
  • Single = 90 cm x 200 cm – 35.5 in x 79 in

If it helps any, the Princess mattresses are produced by a Florida-based company.

A few years ago we purchased a queen mattress from them bearing one of their brand-names, so we didn't have to pay the inflated Princess price.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

3 hours ago, skynight said:

The queen is actually two 30 inch wide single beds together. Therefore, 60 inches wide.

Mathematically how does this play out?  Is the mattress 30 inches or the box spring?  What about the gap between the mattresses when you put them together?  Just thinking out loud.

16 hours ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

There has been a thread about this before, but I’m not sure if there has been a final, definitive answer.  I’d appreciate any help finding out the overall width of bed in queen configuration.  Strange question, I know…but knowing this would help.  

Anyone currently on board who might be able to check this.  Thank you in advance.

The Majestic Princess is sailing on an Alaska cruise now and there is a "Live From" thread for the cruise.

Post your question there and maybe someone on the cruise will answer it.

• Like 1

In the USA and Canada,

The main difference between these two types of king-sized mattress is: the size.

A regular king mattress is 80” long and 76” wide and gives sleepers 6,080 square inches of sleeping space.

While the California king is 84” long and 72” inches wide, giving sleepers 6,048 square inches of sleeping space.

• Like 1