Deployment 2023-24 booking season begins

10 hours ago, fsjosh said:

Which would make the return on a Sunday, when Oasis is already there. 

But if like the PP said, they won't use Terminal A for a rotating ship schedule, it's not really an issue. 

When NV came out of amplification on the initial 9/5 rotation they used terminal G until she settled into the 3/4 using terminal A.

• Like 1

Explorer 9/5 rotation is up. 9-nighters go out on Thursdays and are all Eastern; there are several different itineraries. 5-nighters go out on Saturdays and alternate between Eastern and Western.

Navigator is also up. Nothing new there, same 3, 4 and 7 night itineraries out of Los Angeles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

Just to note that in an interview today, Michael Bayley confirmed that Icon’s homeport would be Miami.

I don't see that he said that? He mentioned going to the UK first but nothing about a home port. Where did you see this?

Not going to happen before 2024, if ever, but:

A New South Wales Port Authority proposal to allow Oasis-class ships carrying more than 6,000 passengers to dock at Eden on the south Sapphire Coast of New South Wales is currently under consideration by stakeholders.

The proposal includes the construction of additional mooring infrastructure, as well as an option to install a fixed passenger walkway from the existing edge of the wharf.

A A$44m wharf extension was completed in August 2019 to take ships up to 325 metres in length to eliminate the need for tenders to ferry passengers between ship and shore.

A A$6m Welcome Centre for cruise ships was unveiled in April last year.

Government wants restrictions removed

Transport Minister David Elliott said the New South Wales government wants to remove restrictions that currently allow a maximum of 60 cruise ship visits a year. He also wants the curfew that prevents ships berthing at the port between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. to be lifted.

‘With Eden strategically located between Sydney, Melbourne and New Zealand cruise destinations, we know there is an appetite for increased cruise visits and modifications would allow larger vessels to add this beautiful part of NSW to their itineraries,’ Elliott said.

Plans for Oasis-class ships to visit Eden Australia’s Sapphire Coast (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not going to happen before 2024, if ever, but:

A New South Wales Port Authority proposal to allow Oasis-class ships carrying more than 6,000 passengers to dock at Eden on the south Sapphire Coast of New South Wales is currently under consideration by stakeholders.

The proposal includes the construction of additional mooring infrastructure, as well as an option to install a fixed passenger walkway from the existing edge of the wharf.

A A$44m wharf extension was completed in August 2019 to take ships up to 325 metres in length to eliminate the need for tenders to ferry passengers between ship and shore.

A A$6m Welcome Centre for cruise ships was unveiled in April last year.

Government wants restrictions removed

Transport Minister David Elliott said the New South Wales government wants to remove restrictions that currently allow a maximum of 60 cruise ship visits a year. He also wants the curfew that prevents ships berthing at the port between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. to be lifted.

‘With Eden strategically located between Sydney, Melbourne and New Zealand cruise destinations, we know there is an appetite for increased cruise visits and modifications would allow larger vessels to add this beautiful part of NSW to their itineraries,’ Elliott said.

Plans for Oasis-class ships to visit Eden Australia’s Sapphire Coast (seatrade-cruise.com)

Royal is desperate to find ports for the big iron but Sydney OPT can’t cope with 6,000 passengers plus crew.  At the pace  the NSW government operates, Botany Bay wont be finished for 10 years.  
I guess they want to home port an Oasis class in Brisbane when Lelepa opens.  Eden would be a call on the occasional cruise to Tasmania.  

Early 2024 deployments.  I have been searching for an early 2024 cruise and compiled this summary of home ports. 

All ships except Spectrum (and Icon) are accounted for now, here are their home ports the first few months of 2024:

Adventure - Galveston
Allure - Port Canaveral
Anthem - New Jersey
Brilliance - Tampa
Enchantment - Australia
Explorer - Miami
Freedom - Miami
Grandeur - Miami
Harmony - Galveston
Independence - Miami
Jewel - San Juan / Barbados
Liberty - Fort Lauderdale
Mariner - Port Canaveral
Navigator  - California
Oasis - Miami
Odyssey - Fort Lauderdale
Ovation - Australia
Quantum - Australia
Radiance - Tampa
Rhapsody - Panama / Colombia

Serenade - World Cruise
Symphony - Fort Lauderdale
Vision - Baltimore
Voyager - Port Canaveral
Wonder - Port Canaveral

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

All ships except Spectrum (and Icon) are accounted for now, here are their home ports the first few months of 2024:

One can assume that Icon won't reposition from her Miami home port before April 2024.

23 hours ago, geoff2802 said:

Royal is desperate to find ports for the big iron but Sydney OPT can’t cope with 6,000 passengers plus crew.  At the pace  the NSW government operates, Botany Bay wont be finished for 10 years.  
I guess they want to home port an Oasis class in Brisbane when Lelepa opens.  Eden would be a call on the occasional cruise to Tasmania.  

On a 7/8 day Oasis Class from Brisbane  the only ports Lelepa and Eden. I hope not.

Geoff I actually think it will be Icon not Oasis for Brisbane. Probably work in with Seattle off season.  

12 minutes ago, springaussie said:

On a 7/8 day Oasis Class from Brisbane  the only ports Lelepa and Eden. I hope not.

Geoff I actually think it will be Icon not Oasis for Brisbane. Probably work in with Seattle off season.  

I havent seen any positioning for Icon class - are they targeting warm weather like Oasis or also cool weather like Quantum?  
Wondering whether they will keep Icon in Florida and Europe for the first few years in any case.  

1 minute ago, geoff2802 said:

I havent seen any positioning for Icon class - are they targeting warm weather like Oasis or also cool weather like Quantum?  
Wondering whether they will keep Icon in Florida and Europe for the first few years in any case.  

Perhaps they are giving up on trying to define cold vs. warm.  It binds a ship to a specific region and impedes deployment options.

Look at Anthem.  Lots of folks in the Northeast would love to see another ship take her place but Anthem was built to be cold weather.  That limits their choices to send her somewhere else.  Voyager class is decidedly not "cold" weather but she visits many regions in all climates.  

Maybe making cold weather ships was a mistake.  

4 hours ago, springaussie said:

Icon would go well with the carbon neutral Lelepa but I think we will see a older oasis 24-25 .
They could do interporting between Sydney and Brisbane ,with a regular run to Lelepa.That would take the load of Sydney OPT.

9 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Early 2024 deployments.  I have been searching for an early 2024 cruise and compiled this summary of home ports. 

Adventure - Galveston
Allure - Port Canaveral
Anthem - New Jersey
Brilliance - Tampa
Enchantment - Australia
Explorer - Miami
Freedom - Miami
Grandeur - Miami
Harmony - Galveston
Independence - Miami
Mariner - Port Canaveral
Navigator  - California
Oasis - Miami
Ovation - Australia
Quantum - Australia
Radiance - Tampa

Serenade - World Cruise
Vision - Baltimore
Voyager - Port Canaveral
Wonder - Port Canaveral

Likely that Spectrum is still homeported in Singapore in 2024. Of course things can change, i don't see them switching to Icon anytime soon.

• Like 1

From December, 2023 through March, 2024 Jewel of the Seas is going to be dual home-ported. 

They are running 7 night cruises - the ship will be in San Juan every Saturday and Barbados every Monday. You can board on Saturdays in San Juan or on Mondays in Barbados. Always for 7 nights.

I found something interesting - maybe you will find it interesting too.

This arrangement seemed inefficient to me because if someone books a cabin from Monday to Monday from Barbados, then someone else books that same cabin the following Saturday from San Juan, that cabin is going to sail empty from Monday to Saturday. The same can happen the other way with cabins empty from Saturday to Monday.

I took a closer look at reservations and found that each cabin can only be booked from San Juan OR from Barbados. If you do a mock booking to sail from San Juan you see a certain set of available cabins. If you book to sail from Barbados you see a different set of cabins, and the San Juan cabins are all unavailable.

I think it's interesting that they do this, and also that they have (maybe) figured out the demand for boarding in each port. A lot more cabins are available to be booked from San Juan than from Barbados. For example there are two grand suites available only if you leave from Barbados, all the rest can only be booked from San Juan.

Edited by SG65CB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SG65CB said:

This arrangement seemed inefficient to me because if someone books a cabin from Monday to Monday from Barbados, then someone else books that same cabin the following Saturday from San Juan, that cabin is going to sail empty from Monday to Saturday. The same can happen the other way with cabins empty from Saturday to Monday.

I took a closer look at reservations and found that each cabin can only be booked from San Juan OR from Barbados. If you do a mock booking to sail from San Juan you see a certain set of available cabins. If you book to sail from Barbados you see a different set of cabins, and the San Juan cabins are all unavailable.

I think it's interesting that they do this, and also that they have (maybe) figured out the demand for boarding in each port. A lot more cabins are available to be booked from San Juan than from Barbados. For example there are two grand suites available only if you leave from Barbados, all the rest can only be booked from San Juan.

RC are no strangers to Interporting, they’ve done it for years on Med cruises from Rome and Barcelona for instance. I’d assume they shift inventory from one home port to another based on demand. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, SG65CB said:

Adventure - Galveston
Allure - Port Canaveral
Anthem - New Jersey
Brilliance - Tampa
Enchantment - Australia
Explorer - Miami
Freedom - Miami
Grandeur - Miami
Harmony - Galveston
Independence - Miami
Mariner - Port Canaveral
Navigator  - California
Oasis - Miami
Ovation - Australia
Quantum - Australia
Radiance - Tampa

Serenade - World Cruise
Vision - Baltimore
Voyager - Port Canaveral
Wonder - Port Canaveral

No Europe on that list?

6 hours ago, SG65CB said:

From December, 2023 through March, 2024 Jewel of the Seas is going to be dual home-ported. 

They are running 7 night cruises - the ship will be in San Juan every Saturday and Barbados every Monday. You can board on Saturdays in San Juan or on Mondays in Barbados. Always for 7 nights.

I found something interesting - maybe you will find it interesting too.

Barbados is a popular embarkation port for UK residents while San Juan is a popular embarkation port for US residents.  Interporting with these two embarkation ports is the best of both worlds in terms of market appeal and potential target audience.  Starting this deep into the Caribbean allows them to reach ports that require longer cruises from the US mainland.  

P&O used to home port decent sized ships in Barbados.  With direct flights from the UK Barbados is a gateway to the Caribbean for UK residents and they don’t have to fly to the US to reach deeper into the Caribbean.  It’s a pretty attractive solution.  

A decade ago I sailed Carnival from San Juan and those ships interported with Barbados as well.  I would see them mustering after coming back from a day in Barbados.   

It’s good to see Royal thinking beyond more of the same Florida based operations.   

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, springaussie said:

That’s because the list is covering the first few months of 3024.

Europe/UK 2024 cruises won’t  be on sale until November at the earliest. 

Yup, exactly, plus they won't actually start sailing there until Easter-ish 2024 at the earliest. 

• Like 1