John H announced masks and Mandatory testing,

kdr69

13 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Well - she's the main recipient of (suffering from) her own attitude. She's not trying to make lemonade. It can be challenging for most of us occasionally. Sometimes I have to remind myself to sit back and reevaluate things - to get a better perspective.

Tom

I understand. Said good morning and she just snubbed us. Lol- it is what it is. We had a power outage the other day for a while-seemed to be not everywhere though.

Speaking of lemonade, I have yet to find a lemonade dispenser (they seem to have the juice all day). Not a big deal, it must be somewhere but I haven’t been able to crack that nut yet. Water and cocktails will be just fine😀.

I have and will be wearing a mask at airport/airplane for hours, so it’s just not a big deal to me. We are outside most of the time on ship until evening anyway.

• Like 1

Just checked in for our masked up August cruise. Extra steps kinda stink, but we are already starting to re-mask when we're out and about again. We've been vaccinated since April but IMO It's better to be safe than sorry. And wearing a mask has never made my day more or less bad. I can't imagine being so sensory challenged that a mask is a huge deal. I'm really sorry for those folks with sensory processing disorders who are upset about that. Those without who are just whiney, well, I am happy to not see you on my cruise!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, kleibo said:

Not sure where you are located but have you tried local Walk in clinics - some people have said they got their tests there.

Still researching - the problem is the turn around time, along with long lines here.  It was one of the lead stories last night on the local news, which I only watch the first 5 minutes of to get CV updates. We were planning to drive to the port.  Would really need test results before leaving home so that we don't waste 8 hours.  I'm really trying to think everything through before cancelling, but that's probably what it will end up being. I wasn't able to think about it very clearly yesterday as my BP was so high - literally.  Believe me I realize I could have MUCH worse problems, but having to make sudden changes like this are stressful.  So glad we cancelled our original SEP Mardi Gras cruise and booked this one.  The MG cruise would have required flying, and we would have already bought airline tickets by now. What a mess!  Seems to be the common phrase these days.

22 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

So, from what I've read, normal cancellation policies are still in place.  We are 37 days out, which puts us in a 50% refund pool.  

Also, your last sentence...completely not necessary.  This is the sort of comment that start conflicts among posters here on CC.  

Well, I am just paying forward the fact that multiple people have reported on these boards that they have indeed been able to get a refund.  It is typical of Carnival to send out mixed messages since JH reported that cancellation policies would be in place.  Obviously once people got a hold of their PVP, things changed.  I don't have a stake in this, since I am not cancelling or seeking a refund.   I have cruises booked at the end of August on the Horizon and at the end of October on the Mardi Gras.  I fully intend to go on both cruises and follow the protocols that are in place at that time.  

3 minutes ago, sassy0930 said:

Just checked in for our masked up August cruise. Extra steps kinda stink, but we are already starting to re-mask when we're out and about again. We've been vaccinated since April but IMO It's better to be safe than sorry. And wearing a mask has never made my day more or less bad. I can't imagine being so sensory challenged that a mask is a huge deal. I'm really sorry for those folks with sensory processing disorders who are upset about that. Those without who are just whiney, well, I am happy to not see you on my cruise!

Smart folks here. Able to understand, adjust, move on and have fun. By taking responsibility for themselves, they show consideration for and responsibility toward all fellow passengers. Although we won't be there, thank you for that. Consider these folks some of the "A" listers on-board.     

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Still researching - the problem is the turn around time, along with long lines here.  It was one of the lead stories last night on the local news, which I only watch the first 5 minutes of to get CV updates. We were planning to drive to the port.  Would really need test results before leaving home so that we don't waste 8 hours.  I'm really trying to think everything through before cancelling, but that's probably what it will end up being. I wasn't able to think about it very clearly yesterday as my BP was so high - literally.  Believe me I realize I could have MUCH worse problems, but having to make sudden changes like this are stressful.  So glad we cancelled our original SEP Mardi Gras cruise and booked this one.  The MG cruise would have required flying, and we would have already bought airline tickets by now. What a mess!  Seems to be the common phrase these days.

I'd recommend giving it a few more days before deciding anything. I get the impression that Carnival rushed this announcement out and hasn't really given it much thought. I wouldn't be surprised if they make more changes to their testing and mask policy in the very near future. 

I would go so far as to say I would be shocked if they aren't revised in the near future.

On testing, I would expect them to add the ID Now test to the approved list which should be very helpful. In fact, they may consider it an acceptable PCR test already. This should be available at almost every Walgreens. I know the Bahama's accepts it as a PCR test. 

Masking is a bit more challenging. Based on what they have put out, you could basically walk around the entire ship with a water bottle and only wear a mask when using an elevator and waiting in line to get into a dining area. Not sure I'm buying that. 

Unless you are traveling in the next week or two, I'd relax and see how this develops once implementation starts. 

Edited by Brew12
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Kind of odd that JH hasn’t had a video or post this morning. He’s usually doing a video 7-7:30 Miami time. It’s 9:30 now. wonder if there’s news he’s waiting to be finalized.

Seems the delay was likely for their prepared statement on Vista implementing the mask protocols early.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I'd recommend giving it a few more days before deciding anything. I get the impression that Carnival rushed this announcement out and hasn't really given it much thought. I wouldn't be surprised if they make more changes to their testing and mask policy in the very near future. 

I would go so far as to say I would be shocked if they aren't revised in the near future.

On testing, I would expect them to add the ID Now test to the approved list which should be very helpful. In fact, they may consider it an acceptable PCR test already. This should be available at almost every Walgreens. I know the Bahama's accepts it as a PCR test. 

l

Unless you are traveling in the next week or two, I'd relax and see how this develops once implementation starts. 

I’m hoping that they do accept the ID Now test because that is much easier to get in my area. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shayhooper said:

I’m hoping that they do accept the ID Now test because that is much easier to get in my area. 

I'm 90% sure it is a PCR test, and results in 15 minutes. I just don't know if Carnival accepts it or not. If they do, this is an easy way for almost everyone in the US to get a PCR test. 

I don't think ID Now is available in Canada, still going through approval there.

17 hours ago, Mandar13077 said:

If we use CVS, should there be any concern that it says "Not accepted for all purposes"? Wonder what they are referring to?

I had a COVID test last year, but it was through the Health Department. I've never gotten one for travel before.

CVS Image.JPG

As Scottie stated - they just want to cover their bases and let people know that antigen is not approved for all travel and places.  For cruises, it is.  

• Like 2

I was going to ask who John H is, but i see by reading the thread that he is a poster on Facebook.  I don't think I have ever seen a post from him on Cruise Critic.  Are we now saying that we should go to Facebook for information instead of Cruise Critic?  I don't get it..  If he's not on Cruise Critic, and least then why isn't his info on the Carnival Web site if his information is so important and "official"?  I get updates by mail at least once a week directly from Carnival, and trust them for the Company facts and updates to policy more than a Facebook poster who doesn't even seem to have an official connection to Carnival.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, mredandchis said:

You are an optimist, and I really like an optimist and you may be right.

With the UK,  I have been in shock with the decline and the vaccination rate is only 57% full and 67% with one dose .  Some are saying they hit herd immunity. 

India is also dropping but it appears they got to a herd immunity the natural way. 

Meanwhile Israel is losing the battle even with higher vaccination totals.  

I am concerned of some sort of shut down here in NC as we will be maxing out our ICUs before end of month.  

I do think that the cruise companies are also very concerned about the way this variant is spreading.   I will do what they ask until this variant is contained.  

100%

3 minutes ago, vintagegarage said:

I was going to ask who John H is, but i see by reading the thread that he is a poster on Facebook.  I don't think I have ever seen a post from him on Cruise Critic.  Are we now saying that we should go to Facebook for information instead of Cruise Critic?  I don't get it..  If he's not on Cruise Critic, and least then why isn't his info on the Carnival Web site if his information is so important and "official"?  I get updates by mail at least once a week directly from Carnival, and trust them for the Company facts and updates to policy more than a Facebook poster who doesn't even seem to have an official connection to Carnival.

John H is John Heald, the Senior Cruise Director for Carnival

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnitaVacation said:

So, from what I've read, normal cancellation policies are still in place.  We are 37 days out, which puts us in a 50% refund pool.  

Also, your last sentence...completely not necessary.  This is the sort of comment that start conflicts among posters here on CC.  

From everything I've read, Carnival is refunding if you call and ask for it. 

I'm sure they understand that most CC companies have protections against this. The cruise received will not be the cruise paid for. So even if they fight you on it, the CC company will have your back. 

I think we're going to keep our 30th cruise and cross fingers that it sails though. We already got such a good rate and with the onboard credit included, I feel like that's enough payment for the hassle of strapping some cloth to my face. The only thing I'm really concerned with is being able to get a test within 3 days. Even if it looks fine to schedule one now, whose to say in 3 weeks we wont have a shortage of antigen tests and toilet paper again? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nerdluck said:

The only thing I'm really concerned with is being able to get a test within 3 days. Even if it looks fine to schedule one now, whose to say in 3 weeks we wont have a shortage of antigen tests and toilet paper again? 

This shouldn't be too much of a problem. Walmart is offering PCR tests with next day results at most locations. And I'm pretty sure the ID Now rapid test (available at most Walgreens) is a PCR test so it SHOULD be acceptable. 

54 minutes ago, sassy0930 said:

That's great that you are still going on your cruise!  I hope they can fill up the ships.  As far as the enjoyment of wearing masks or  the desire not to wear a mask, I don't get the need for those who have no issue with masks to insult those who prefer not to vacation with the mask requirements.  It's a personal opinion.  There's nothing wrong with people who find the masks unpleasant and choose not to put themselves in situations where they are required.  Enjoy your cruise!  I hope the new requirements help cut down on the positive cases.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I can't imagine being so sensory challenged that a mask is a huge deal.

But yet many people are affected and nobody can know the depth of someone's sensory level or challenges. So this is a great post to show that not all people deal with the same things and someone else may be floored with something you shrug off. Love each other and try to see their side before you condemn anyone. They might surprise you with a perspective you didn't think was relevant.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vintagegarage said:

John Heald the Carnival PR head. 

2 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

But yet many people are affected and nobody can know the depth of someone's sensory level or challenges. So this is a great post to show that not all people deal with the same things and someone else may be floored with something you shrug off. Love each other and try to see their side before you condemn anyone. They might surprise you with a perspective you didn't think was relevant.

I don't want anyone to think I was the one who said what you quoted though!  I think people should be understanding of those who find the masks uncomfortable for whatever reason.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I'm 90% sure it is a PCR test, and results in 15 minutes. I just don't know if Carnival accepts it or not. If they do, this is an easy way for almost everyone in the US to get a PCR test. 

I don't think ID Now is available in Canada, still going through approval there.

Based on my experience, I don't think it is.  Per the Walgreens I called, not all NAAT tests are considered PCR and the Abbott ID Now test falls under the NAAT but NOT PCR umbrella.  What makes this so frustrating is that I had to test a few weeks ago prior to a medical procedure and they test the facility wanted was the ID Now.  It just seems odd that Carnival isn't', at the moment, accepting it.

Unfortunately my cruise leaves on the 21st, so there isn't much time for us to allow for Carnival's growing pains with the new policy.  To be clear, we fully support the change in policy and will do everything we can do abide by it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shayhooper said:

Based on my experience, I don't think it is.  Per the Walgreens I called, not all NAAT tests are considered PCR and the Abbott ID Now test falls under the NAAT but NOT PCR umbrella.  What makes this so frustrating is that I had to test a few weeks ago prior to a medical procedure and they test the facility wanted was the ID Now.  It just seems odd that Carnival isn't', at the moment, accepting it.

I am beginning to think you are correct that it is not a PCR test. Oddly, at least a few Countries that only accept PCR tests seem to be accepting the ID Now test. 

I've found some websites that call it a PCR test, which only adds to the confusion. But... I can't see any reference to PCR on the Abbott labs page for it. 

Hopefully it is a change Carnival makes soon. I know it is almost impossible to get an antigen test by me right now since the ID Now has become dominant. 

Looks like Walmart is offering 24 hour turn around on PCR tests in my area, so that could be an option.

5 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I am beginning to think you are correct that it is not a PCR test. Oddly, at least a few Countries that only accept PCR tests seem to be accepting the ID Now test. 

I've found some websites that call it a PCR test, which only adds to the confusion. But... I can't see any reference to PCR on the Abbott labs page for it. 

Hopefully it is a change Carnival makes soon. I know it is almost impossible to get an antigen test by me right now since the ID Now has become dominant. 

Looks like Walmart is offering 24 hour turn around on PCR tests in my area, so that could be an option.

I also did a dive into the Abbott website and walked away with the same impression.  If it was in fact a PCR test, it seems logical that they would state that plainly.  Still I'm hopeful that Carnival will accept them.

Another poster directed me the Quest who is doing the PCR test at Walgreens.  According to their site, the results will come in a day after the sample is picked up.  So if I am embarking on Saturday, my test is Wednesday and the sample is picked up the same day, I can expect my results either Thursday or Friday.  If the sample is picked up on Thursday, then results either Friday or Saturday.  It frankly makes me a bit nervous.  

• Like 1