John H announced masks and Mandatory testing,

kdr69

1 hour ago, sassy0930 said:

I can't imagine being so sensory challenged that a mask is a huge deal. I'm really sorry for those folks with sensory processing disorders who are upset about that. Those without who are just whiney, well, I am happy to not see you on my cruise!

You are probably wearing a cloth mask which is about as effective as duct taping a couple of pieces of toilet paper to your face.  A properly fitted N95 mask is not pleasant to wear for an extended period of time.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sassy0930 said:

I can't imagine being so sensory challenged that a mask is a huge deal. I'm really sorry for those folks with sensory processing disorders who are upset about that. 

I wear eyeglasses that fog up when I wear a mask. Is that a sensory processing disorder?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHARTWICK said:

Still researching - the problem is the turn around time, along with long lines here.  It was one of the lead stories last night on the local news, which I only watch the first 5 minutes of to get CV updates. We were planning to drive to the port.  Would really need test results before leaving home so that we don't waste 8 hours.  I'm really trying to think everything through before cancelling, but that's probably what it will end up being. I wasn't able to think about it very clearly yesterday as my BP was so high - literally.  Believe me I realize I could have MUCH worse problems, but having to make sudden changes like this are stressful.  So glad we cancelled our original SEP Mardi Gras cruise and booked this one.  The MG cruise would have required flying, and we would have already bought airline tickets by now. What a mess!  Seems to be the common phrase these days.

I totally agree with you, it is stressful. I also live in a small town, would have to drive 3 hours to take a test. I do have to fly, I really don’t want to cancel but will have to see if everything can fall into place! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vintagegarage said:

I was going to ask who John H is, but i see by reading the thread that he is a poster on Facebook.  I don't think I have ever seen a post from him on Cruise Critic.  Are we now saying that we should go to Facebook for information instead of Cruise Critic?  I don't get it..  If he's not on Cruise Critic, and least then why isn't his info on the Carnival Web site if his information is so important and "official"?  I get updates by mail at least once a week directly from Carnival, and trust them for the Company facts and updates to policy more than a Facebook poster who doesn't even seem to have an official connection to Carnival.

36 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

John H is John Heald, the Senior Cruise Director for Carnival

25 minutes ago, asalligo said:

John Heald the Carnival PR head. 

Calling John Heald a "poster on Facebook" is kind of like calling Jeff Bezos a "book salesman".  It understates what he does and his role with Carnival.  HIs official title is Brand Ambassador.  He is a Carnival employee.  He used to be a cruise director, and he has a lot of fans in that role - here and elsewhere.  His current duties, the best I can tell, is to spread (mostly) positive information about Carnival far and wide through his posts and videos on Facebook, and to transmit important news from the "beards" (executives) and the PR department to his viewers.  It's a tougher job than it looks, since he gets blamed for a lot of the bad news that happens at Carnival - most of which he deflects with grace and humor.  He's been a good source of information - especially in the past few months, when there was actual information worth handing out.

As far as CC's relationship with Mr. Heald, some of the members here don't care for him and say so, and some of them admire and respect him.  Most are somewhere in the middle.  Mr. Heald mostly respects us, though he sometimes gives certain members grief when they ask tough questions of him, which causes him grief.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Honolulu Blue said:

It's a tougher job than it looks, since he gets blamed for a lot of the bad news that happens at Carnival - most of which he deflects with grace and humor.  He's been a good source of information - especially in the past few months, when there was actual information worth handing out.

I'm a fairly good shot and the messenger is always closest. 😜

No doubt he is in a tough position, especially since things are changing so quickly. It's easy to accuse him of putting out bad information when the reality is that plans have changed within hours of some of his announcements. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Calling John Heald a "poster on Facebook" is kind of like calling Jeff Bezos a "book salesman".  It understates what he does and his role with Carnival.  HIs official title is Brand Ambassador.  He is a Carnival employee.  He used to be a cruise director, and he has a lot of fans in that role - here and elsewhere.  His current duties, the best I can tell, is to spread (mostly) positive information about Carnival far and wide through his posts and videos on Facebook, and to transmit important news from the "beards" (executives) and the PR department to his viewers.  It's a tougher job than it looks, since he gets blamed for a lot of the bad news that happens at Carnival - most of which he deflects with grace and humor.  He's been a good source of information - especially in the past few months, when there was actual information worth handing out.

As far as CC's relationship with Mr. Heald, some of the members here don't care for him and say so, and some of them admire and respect him.  Most are somewhere in the middle.  Mr. Heald mostly respects us, though he sometimes gives certain members grief when they ask tough questions of him, which causes him grief.

I like John, he does the job the best he can. People get mad at him for delivering the corporate line, but that is his job. Telling the whole truth that CC often gets mad at him for not doing would simply end his position. Yes, often he is in the position of knowing what he says is a lie or half truth, but that's just working in corporate America these days. It is what I like least about my job. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cyclist_guy1 said:

i think youre confusing the pcr test which takes 1-3 days for results with the rapid antigen test which takes as little as one hour to get the results. vax folks can take the rapid antigen, accepted by carnival.

i have a funny feeling your "took 3 days to get the results" was a pcr test.

No - I live in a remote area of the US.  Local testing facility states current time expectation for test results.   However, you are correct regarding rapid test results - YES, I can travel by car approximately 4 hours (each way) to get one of those on the day before we depart for our flight.

Edited by MT_Sea_Cruisers

19 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

No, you will not have to cancel your B2B.  If currently on a B2B, Carnival tests everyone on debarkation day around 830-900 am.

The Antigen tests take awhile for results.  PCR tests take 20 minutes at a local facility near me.

Whew on not having to cancel B2B!  Unfortunately, closest Rapid result test facility is a 4 hour drive each way for me.  Looks like a long day of travel (before flight travel day) to get a rapid test 🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dmg00 said:

I totally agree with you, it is stressful. I also live in a small town, would have to drive 3 hours to take a test. I do have to fly, I really don’t want to cancel but will have to see if everything can fall into place! 

Same here!  Unfortunately, I think people who live in metropolitan areas do not understand the complexity of everyday things that those of us face who live in remote areas of the US . . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I don't want anyone to think I was the one who said what you quoted though!  I think people should be understanding of those who find the masks uncomfortable for whatever reason.

Sorry lol, I just know that sometimes struggles are not apparent but to the people struggling it's all they can think about.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

You are probably wearing a cloth mask which is about as effective as duct taping a couple of pieces of toilet paper to your face.  A properly fitted N95 mask is not pleasant to wear for an extended period of time.   

Agreed. If you wear a proper mask for 6+ hours in a day you should expect facial bruising. Those poor doctors and nurses when this thing first started taking off that had to wear them 12+ hours a day until their faces adapted. 

• Like 2

Lots of discussion about the various test types, and whether the Abbott ID Now test is PCR or not.

I found this website, which seems to indicate it is a PCR test, though different from the traditional PCR test that takes 2 to 3 days to get results:

https://physiciansimmediatecare.com/clearing-up-the-confusion-on-types-of-covid-testing/

Rapid Molecular PCR Testing

While PCR tests for COVID-19 once could only be done in labs, they can now be carried out quickly on-site, producing results in a matter of minutes. Where these rapid COVID testing units are available, they are a great option for getting fast and reliable results.

At Physicians Immediate Care, we are able to offer the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 Rapid Molecular PCR test (This is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test – NAAT) with results in under 15 minutes. We prefer this test due to its high accuracy (less than a 0.5% chance that a negative result is inaccurate) and speed of results. Results are available in less than 15 minutes, making it the fastest rapid point of care molecular COVID-19 test. Fast, accurate results help us follow up immediately and provide the best possible care for our patients.

8 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Lots of discussion about the various test types, and whether the Abbott ID Now test is PCR or not.

I found this website, which seems to indicate it is a PCR test, though different from the traditional PCR test that takes 2 to 3 days to get results:

https://physiciansimmediatecare.com/clearing-up-the-confusion-on-types-of-covid-testing/

Rapid Molecular PCR Testing

While PCR tests for COVID-19 once could only be done in labs, they can now be carried out quickly on-site, producing results in a matter of minutes. Where these rapid COVID testing units are available, they are a great option for getting fast and reliable results.

At Physicians Immediate Care, we are able to offer the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 Rapid Molecular PCR test (This is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test – NAAT) with results in under 15 minutes. We prefer this test due to its high accuracy (less than a 0.5% chance that a negative result is inaccurate) and speed of results. Results are available in less than 15 minutes, making it the fastest rapid point of care molecular COVID-19 test. Fast, accurate results help us follow up immediately and provide the best possible care for our patients.

It's my understanding that there are two different Abbott ID Now tests, the RT-PCR and the ID Now test.  Both are NAAT but only the 1st is considered a PCR.  I've called two different Walgreens this morning and the Legacy Health center where I got my ID Now NAAT test a few weeks ago.  They all confirmed that the regular ID Now test is NOT a PCR.

I wish this wasn't so confusing and that Carnival would simply clarify if the ID Now tests were acceptable.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MT_Sea_Cruisers said:

Same here!  Unfortunately, I think people who live in metropolitan areas do not understand the complexity of everyday things that those of us face who live in remote areas of the US . . . .

That is true.  I am spoiled since within 2 miles of my house there is a Lowes, Target, gas station, 2 supermarkets, Panera Bread, Wendy's and Chick-fil-a.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brew12 said:

I am beginning to think you are correct that it is not a PCR test. Oddly, at least a few Countries that only accept PCR tests seem to be accepting the ID Now test. 

I've found some websites that call it a PCR test, which only adds to the confusion. But... I can't see any reference to PCR on the Abbott labs page for it. 

Hopefully it is a change Carnival makes soon. I know it is almost impossible to get an antigen test by me right now since the ID Now has become dominant. 

Looks like Walmart is offering 24 hour turn around on PCR tests in my area, so that could be an option.

That is correct. ID Now is an isothermal test - the temperature increases to a set point, but it does not go through the numerous cycles that make millions of copies of a small amount of template, which is what makes the PCR tests so sensitive. I did see on the Abbott website that they sell reagents for other rapid diagnostic tests as well (like strep), that use the same piece of equipment.

It would seem to me that ID Now would be on par with the rapid antigen test as far as a quick diagnosis goes, but I have not read any papers comparing the two in a clinical setting. I do not understand why cruise lines would not accept ID Now if they accept an antigen test - makes no sense to me.

• Like 2

So, just an update.  I was able to cancel our 9/11 cruise with a full refund and my FCC and OBC will be banked for a future cruise.  We have until the end of the year to book a future cruise that sails before Sept 30, 2023.  I was on hold for approx 40 min and the consultant couldn't have been nicer.  No problem at all.....

Now I'm off to call the airline, fingers crossed for the same pleasant experience I had with CCL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found Carnival's press release on the subject here:  https://carnival-news.com/2021/08/04/carnival-cruise-line-to-implement-new-mask-guidelines-for-all-guests-and-pre-cruise-testing-requirements-for-vaccinated-guests/ ,

We've discussed most of the content of the press release already here, but one thing I don't remember being noted is that there is a deadline.  It's mentioned in the release that for both the mask and testing requirements, they're for cruises through October 31, 2021.  Two immediate, irreverent thoughts:

1. This is a trick and not a treat.  Not fun, Carnival. 👿
  2. Halloween fans can save money and packing room because they might not need to bring costume masks. 😁
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Carnival is saying that the CDC is the one making the decisions of what tests are accepted. So I would think the only sources of what is or is not accepted is to begin with the CDC definitions and approvals.

I think that may be an easy out since the CDC isn't requiring any testing for vaccinated guests, unless that just changed.

I would think they could accept whatever tests they wanted but are finding it easiest to stick with the CDC requirements for unvaccinated guests.

18 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

I just tried googling COVID antigen test near me. It pulled up several urgent care clinics that conduct the antigen tests with results in thirty minutes. The downside is there is a fee, and I could not tell if insurance would cover it. According to a different person's post their PVP stated that the day of cruise departure counts as day three of the time period. We may end up going this route if the testing requirement is still in place in late September

We did schedule our tests for next week through Quest. There is one right down the street from us. It does say that it is "No Cost to You." It is a PCR test, but it does say that test results are typically available the next day.

https://patient.questdiagnostics.com/no-cost-covid-test

14 hours ago, EdmundXXIII said:

Can we all just appreciate how badly Carnival screwed up this announcement?

The wording was vague as to what “3 days” before meant, IE: does embarkation day count as day 1 or day 0 in your math.

This is the difference between being able to test on Thursday or not for your cruise Sunday cruise.

And amidst this confusion, John Heald has posted one answer, and people’s PVPs are sending them a different answer!

What a mess!

Why would embarkation count as day 1? That makes no sense. When you’re born, do you start counting your age from 1? (Please no comments about how Japanese people count age. That’s a culturally-influenced special case.) The day is counted *once the day has completed.*  That’s always how counting a current or future span of time works. You start from zero because no time has passed yet at the point you start counting.

Edited by Noami