Tips for a mask mandated cruise…

chefchick

Let’s try a new topic…for those of you who have actually been on a mask mandated cruise (Carnival or other lines) can you give those of us who haven’t some tips to make it at least seem a little more palatable?  Of course, most of us have been wearing a mask at least in part for a year or more, but I haven’t taken a vacation in one. So….

Other than the obvious (stay outside or stay home) how would YOU make your mask mandated cruise more “fun”?  FYI, I am traveling to Alaska so hanging out by the pool won’t necessarily work for me 100%.

Honestly,  I’m not trying to start some sort of divisive argument here, I am trying to reframe my thoughts around the cruise “I thought I was going to have”. So please, no stop you’re whining , you’re on a cruise comments.

Edited by chefchick
  • Like 6

We went to Disney last November - December - we had to wear masks outside and inside. Quite frankly, it wasn't awful at all.  For the cruise - you will wear them in the terminal and while inside. You will remove them while dining or at the bar drinking etc. We have no problem wearing them, especially if it means keeping others possibly safer, as well as ourselves. have you seen what people do on vacation??? It's gross!   Anyway even in Alaska, you are so port intensive, you will be outside more than in.  We are planning to sail in late November again - no issues with protocols. It would be easier without them, but if it means we can travel and have a great time - we are all for it. 

• Like 7

I did Disney fully masked, even outdoors, for 3 days and it was brutal. Not the breathing through them part, just the act of wearing them so long. I doubt that it will be as bad on a cruise ship since there many more places you can take masks off. If you are more sensitive or plan on being masked even when not required, this is what I learned. If you want a well fitted mask that you need to wear for long periods of time, don't rely on ear loops. After 3 days the backs of my ears were extremely tender and in horrible shape. Either bring a few masks to wear that tie or get any of the variety of devices that connect the ear loops together behind your head. 

Second thing was to always bring at least 2 masks. Again, not too much of an issue since going back to your room on a cruise ship is relatively easy compared to a Disney park, but might be something to think about. Masks can get nasty. They can get wet. Have a backup. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brew12 said:

I did Disney fully masked, even outdoors, for 3 days and it was brutal. Not the breathing through them part, just the act of wearing them so long. I doubt that it will be as bad on a cruise ship since there many more places you can take masks off. If you are more sensitive or plan on being masked even when not required, this is what I learned. If you want a well fitted mask that you need to wear for long periods of time, don't rely on ear loops. After 3 days the backs of my ears were extremely tender and in horrible shape. Either bring a few masks to wear that tie or get any of the variety of devices that connect the ear loops together behind your head. 

Second thing was to always bring at least 2 masks. Again, not too much of an issue since going back to your room on a cruise ship is relatively easy compared to a Disney park, but might be something to think about. Masks can get nasty. They can get wet. Have a backup. 

That's a good point about being uncomfortable. We found Hanes masks, they feel like t-shirts and are extremely comfortable all around. We wore them for 10 days in Disney!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, disfan13 said:

That's a good point about being uncomfortable. We found Hanes masks, they feel like t-shirts and are extremely comfortable all around. We wore them for 10 days in Disney!  

Would you say they fit properly? Snug on your face without gaps? I was given 2 of the first Hanes masks that looked like cut up t-shirts, with the 3 slits on each side and they felt nice on but didn't stay in place. Never tried the more traditional ones they released. No doubt that material is nicer feeling than most.

The masks I've switched to have a much better fit on the face and are comfortable for around 6 hours. After that my ears start to hurt. The extenders give my ears relief if I have long flights or waits in the airport.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, disfan13 said:

Are Hanes masks in the Hanes underwear department?  Thanks!!

9 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

Would you say they fit properly? Snug on your face without gaps? I was given 2 of the first Hanes masks that looked like cut up t-shirts, with the 3 slits on each side and they felt nice on but didn't stay in place. Never tried the more traditional ones they released. No doubt that material is nicer feeling than most.

The masks I've switched to have a much better fit on the face and are comfortable for around 6 hours. After that my ears start to hurt. The extenders give my ears relief if I have long flights or waits in the airport.

I would say so- i throw them in the wash as well. They may feel a little tight at first but they stretch. They also have the metal piece that over your nose. 

• Like 1

I wore masks every day for summer school and at night for credit recovery classes for students.  I just want to sit on the pool deck with no masks. I will do what it takes. I am hoping by christmas we are over the surge. but who knows. I will pack my patience and do what is needed to be done to sail MG.

1 minute ago, disfan13 said:

I would say so- i throw them in the wash as well. They may feel a little tight at first but they stretch. They also have the metal piece that over your nose. 

Will definitely give them a try if I find myself needing more. Thanks!

• Haha 1

HUbbs and I did a Bermuda cruise on another cruie line 3 weeks ago.  We flew into/out of Bermuda.  The cruise just went round Bermuda and overnighted in Hamilton and the Dockyard ( its a small ship- mac passengers is 950 and we had about 405 on board).  We had to have a neg PCR test 4 days prior to arrival in Bermuda ( Bermuda's rules)

It was 100% vaccinated ( passengers and crew).  We got tested (saliva PCR test) every day by the crusie line.  A tube was left in our cabin that se had to fill with 2 ml of saliva.  Masks were worn EVERYWHERE on board the ship.  Exceptions were when seated and eating/ drinking, at the pool or in your cabin.  ALl shore excursions were also masked ( unless swimming, hiking, etc- outdoor activities)  All transportation was socially distanced.  We had audio boxes so we could hear the guide for inside tours- thus making it easier to maintain that social distance. Bermuda also requires masks indoors unless eating or drinking, so we put on masks when going into shops.  The cruise line also did a daily temp check.  Multiple handwashing/sanitizing stations.  At the buffet, you ppinted to what you wanted nd they plated then handed it to you

It actually wasn't that big a deal.  Basically wore masks going to/from venues and if inside- the masks stayed on.  A couple times ( after several adult beverages😁) hubbs or I would forget to put on our mask after leaving the bar and going to our room.  Crew members gently reminded us.  There was no shaming.  I would do this cruise again in a heart beat.  I hope Carnival's protocols are similar.

They had disposable masks for us in our cabin, but we use Tommie COpper masks.  We have found them to be the most comfortable.  Wore those  same masks during flights and at the terminals.

• Like 7

I went to Disney in January and was there for 8 days and what can I say I still had a good time. I knew what I was getting into and I wasn't vaccinated so I saw it as a necessity. I really didn't do anything to prepare, I had been wearing one at work through the duration so it was what it was. In the end I don't know that there's much to making it more fun. You either do it or cancel and depending how close you are you take the penalty hit, maybe the entire cost of the cruise, according the John Heald- no refunds. However, you can play around with it a bit. I decide to make the best and went for something out of the ordinary- maybe I'll build up a steampunk look around it for a night. And yes, before any "doctors" chime in this isn't a "covid" mask. I'll need to wear a disposable under it but it's something fun and unique. Mostly I'm testing this cruise I'm leaving on in two weeks out for the future. They're already talking about two additional variants coming down the pike-so I don't see any end to the panic. Therefore if I end up really disliking the mask thing I can cancel my cruises on NYE and next year so some benefit there. Anyway- try dressing it up and building around it as an accessory instead of a necessity.image.png.42acd5b3cafa90380f29e7123363eb93.png

Edited by Jasonsterling
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

We also did WDW twice when masks were required at all time (inside and out, in 96 degree heat and incredible humidity).  You really do just adjust to it.  

One thing that did get annoying was the way the mask causes your sunglasses to fog up.  Since then I have read these tips to help with that:

Clamp your mask securely across your nose, spray your glasses with an anti-fog product, or  lower your glasses so they rest across the mask.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

We also did WDW twice when masks were required at all time (inside and out, in 96 degree heat and incredible humidity).  You really do just adjust to it.  

One thing that did get annoying was the way the mask causes your sunglasses to fog up.  Since then I have read these tips to help with that:

Clamp your mask securely across your nose, spray your glasses with an anti-fog product, or  lower your glasses so they rest across the mask.

I've also heard putting a small piece of tissue inside your mask helps reduce the fogging.  I haven't tried it but probably will this cruise!

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

I have a neck loop like you can get for glasses .  This allows your mask to hang from your neck when you not using it instead of having to take it off and put it somewhere multiple times a day. Easy to just lift up and place and take off again 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

I went to Disney in January and was there for 8 days and what can I say I still had a good time. I knew what I was getting into and I wasn't vaccinated so I saw it as a necessity. I really didn't do anything to prepare, I had been wearing one at work through the duration so it was what it was. In the end I don't know that there's much to making it more fun. You either do it or cancel and depending how close you are you take the penalty hit, maybe the entire cost of the cruise, according the John Heald- no refunds. However, you can play around with it a bit. I decide to make the best and went for something out of the ordinary- maybe I'll build up a steampunk look around it for a night. And yes, before any "doctors" chime in this isn't a "covid" mask. I'll need to wear a disposable under it but it's something fun and unique. Mostly I'm testing this cruise I'm leaving on in two weeks out for the future. They're already talking about two additional variants coming down the pike-so I don't see any end to the panic. Therefore if I end up really disliking the mask thing I can cancel my cruises on NYE and next year so some benefit there. Anyway- try dressing it up and building around it as an accessory instead of a necessity.image.png.42acd5b3cafa90380f29e7123363eb93.png

Steampunk! Badass! Now ya need some goggles. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Steampunk! Badass! Now ya need some goggles. 

I've got some- LOL! And Airship pants, a hat, a utilikilt- going all in on the look. Big fan of the Steampunk vibe so I had everything but the mask. When I heard about the mask mandate I was p-ed off but then I thought, well if I gotta do it I gotta have some fun with it. One Amazon search later!  😛

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, disfan13 said:

Unfortunately cloth masks do nothing. Not flaming,just facts. Even on cdc website whom I cant stand it states that.Particles go right through cloth masks if thats your intent. If you just want to look good then cloth is fine🤣. I work as a firefighter /paramedic. Wouldnt be caught dead with a cloth mask trying to prevent anything.

Edited by rtazz17
  • Like 3

Just now, Jasonsterling said:

I've got some- LOL! And Airship pants, a hat, a utilikilt- going all in on the look. Big fan of the Steampunk vibe so I had everything but the mask. When I heard about the mask mandate I was p-ed off but then I thought, well if I gotta do it I gotta have some fun with it. One Amazon search later!  😛

Please Post pics of the whole getup! Might as well have some fun during this tricky situation for sure! Now if only you had a sonic screwdriver……I bet the alchemy bar is gonna love you! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Unfortunately cloth masks do nothing. Not flaming,just facts. Even on cdc website whom I cant stand it states that.Particles go right through cloth masks if thats your intent. If you just want to look good then cloth is fine🤣. I work as a firefighter /paramedic. Wouldnt be caught dead with a cloth mask trying to prevent anything.

Not sure it makes a difference, but Hanes says the masks have 3 layers. Anything must be better than nothing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

Hope you don't get stuck and have to call maintenance to get you out. Film at 11.

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 1

Oh man.. this just got me realizing my Cruise is set for October. It's a Halloween cruise and Carnival clearly states that "If you decide to spend Halloween with us, definitely bring a costume… but plan for one without a weapon. (Real or fake, doesn't matter.) Masks aren’t allowed either."  😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brew12 said:

Oh man.. this just got me realizing my Cruise is set for October. It's a Halloween cruise and Carnival clearly states that "If you decide to spend Halloween with us, definitely bring a costume… but plan for one without a weapon. (Real or fake, doesn't matter.) Masks aren’t allowed either."  😜

Not only is that ironic, it’s funny as hell. Man oh man, I can see the costumes now. Maybe I should change my September cruise to October just so I can play up the mask for Halloween. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rtazz17 said:

Actually the CDC says cloth masks actually do something and not nothing like you state. (You didn't read it did you?)

Multi-layer cloth masks block release of exhaled respiratory particles into the environment,3-6 along with the microorganisms these particles carry.7,8

Cloth masks not only effectively block most large droplets (i.e., 20-30 microns and larger)9 but they can also block the exhalation of fine droplets and particles (also often referred to as aerosols) smaller than 10 microns ;3,5

Multi-layer cloth masks can both block up to 50-70% of these fine droplets and particles3,14

It isn't rocket science. Spit out of your mouth. Now, put on any cloth mask and spit again and then come back here again and say that they do "nothing". You can try to make the argument that cloth masks aren't as effective as surgical or respirators but coming here to say they do nothing isn't a position that holds up to scrutiny.

Now, if you are referring to the single layer buffs that some pull up to mimic masking, then I would agree that those are much worse than a multi layer cloth mask. (but even these would do something even if minimal).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1