Tips for a mask mandated cruise…

chefchick

We also did Disney for 4 days masked up. I wouldn't pay a 1/5 of what I did to do that vacation again. Brutal. I'd much rather spend my vacation at home than be masked up. 

We're on the Mardi Gras now. No masks. It's a great time onboard. Getting off is terrible 90+ degrees masked up is ridiculous.

My advice is reschedule till carnival quits with this mask stuff or your not gonna have a good vacation.

100% vaccinated cruise no masks is what they need to do.

Edited by jperry2011
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think the other poster is saying they would like a clean mask every day, not re-using the previous day's.

Hi,

Yep, that’s what I meant! 😁😷  As a woman over 50 with some underlying conditions I have been wearing a mask since this all began. Last year I didn’t even go inside a grocery store till August.  My little family (myself, hubby & grown son) are vaccinated.  And we live about 20 minutes outside L.A. CA.    The small community I live in , it’s the norm to see people masked.

My hubby & I are sober, but we still have drinks (of our choice) in our hands on our cruises. Sparkling water is mine.  I can people watch with clarity and feel fantastic in the morning. Works for me anyway. 🥳

We are on the Panorama next month, the Radiance in December and back on the Panorama in April ‘22.   I’ll be on all 3 cruises 🥰🥰🥰!  Too many of my cruises cancelled these last 14 months or so. So, hopefully everyone will do whatever is asked so WE ALL and get back to the joy of cruising❣️

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 1

I haven't been on a cruise but since April I have been to Planet Hollywood Cancun, Barcelo Maya Riviera, and Cozumel. They all had an indoor mask requirement. Most of those areas are outside. So you really just needed to use your mask when going to eat. Just put it on walking into and out of the restaurant. And if you go in a gift shop or something. A cruise is going to be a little more challenging. I'm on Mardi Gras in a few weeks and plan on using the outdoor walkways as much as possible. But what I used at the resorts is I have a few masks on lanyards and when I was going somewhere that I would need a mask I would throw a lanyard around my neck. It's there when I need it and I don't have to worry about losing it. I was hoping to never have to use them again but I'll be bringing them with me on Mardi Gras.

C783B2A8-4ABB-43B6-BBF8-4F2C27E23144.thu

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Still have not seen a single rule other than the generic "eating", "drinking", and outdoors. Seriously, that $3 box of popcorn will be sold like crazy and carried around for a week.

Watching John's videos is interesting. He has said you need it in the elevator. But he made it sound like you don't necessarily always need it walking around inside. It sounded like only when you're around a lot of people. He also said you won't have to wear it sitting in the piano bar which is interesting to me. I would think that's when you need it the most. A bunch of people packed into one room screaming and singing. If anyone is spitting on other people on the ship, that's where it's happening. But that gives me hope for not needing a mask sitting in the comedy club or at a show.

Edited by Saint Greg

Yes, it is no where near detailed enough. People are stating on the Vista that you must be masked in the Piano Bar and Comedy Club even with drinks. If you are not taking an active drink, mask must be on and they are watching it and policing it from what people have said.

On 8/5/2021 at 4:36 PM, Brew12 said:

Oh man.. this just got me realizing my Cruise is set for October. It's a Halloween cruise and Carnival clearly states that "If you decide to spend Halloween with us, definitely bring a costume… but plan for one without a weapon. (Real or fake, doesn't matter.) Masks aren’t allowed either."  😜

Oh my, hadn't occurred to me either. We are on our third Halloween cruise this year and I had not even considered that I could incorporate a mask for the first time!! 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Yes, it is no where near detailed enough. People are stating on the Vista that you must be masked in the Piano Bar and Comedy Club even with drinks. If you are not taking an active drink, mask must be on and they are watching it and policing it from what people have said.

So John is talking out of his you know what to make it sound better. He should get on masked ship so he can show us all the fun people are having.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Vista has actually had covid cases. It would be inexcusable if they didn't clamp down.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, kdr69 said:

I have a neck loop like you can get for glasses .  This allows your mask to hang from your neck when you not using it instead of having to take it off and put it somewhere multiple times a day. Easy to just lift up and place and take off again 

Great idea.  They should be required in the dining room to keep people from putting their bacteria laden masks on the table while they eat.  That is just as bad as if you put a pair of dirty socks on the table.  (I was going to use another example, but decided to keep it clean)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

This is what I am looking for from Carnival.  On RCL they have been pretty specific about which venues will be for  Vaccinated vs non Vaccinated passengers and where specifically everyone needs to mask up.  If everyone knows what the rules are beforehand there will be less stress overall.  I don’t blame J H. He’s just the messenger and It’s his job to sell cruises.  I just hope carnival corporation decideds to be more transparent.

Hi all!

Interesting thread. Looking forward to cruising at the end of October so hope things change by then but if masks are needed that's fine, I'm going!.

I would like to know about the lanyard for the mask & possibly a holder. Anybody have those & a recommendation please?

TIA & stay safe.

~ Jo ~ 😊

On 8/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, ninjacat123 said:

My DH says he's going to keep a cup in his hand with a straw in it attached to his mouth.  It's gonna be the new look onboard 🤣

Basically walked around my NCL cruise with a drink the entire time. Only one person ever said anything to me and it was in the fun shops while I was actively drinking the drink. 

Generally speaking, when distanced, they didn't seem to care ever. A few people walked around all the time without them (and no drink/food). The staff would often have them off when doing games since they were so far from the audience.  That was also NCL & 100% vaccinated cruise.

Only quality advice is to get the most comfortable mask possible and have at least one per day. I only brought one with me (mistake, but NCL did have a mask for each person that was pretty comfortable, so then I had 2, but over a weeks time in 100+ degree weather without washing, it was gross by the end).

The problem with masks is that it is incredibly hot, and can chafe your skin, especially when wet or humid.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:58 PM, ninjacat123 said:

I've also heard putting a small piece of tissue inside your mask helps reduce the fogging.  I haven't tried it but probably will this cruise!

Even better, if you get cloth medical tape (available walmart first aid isle) and you put 1/2 of the tape on your nose and the other half on your mask, your glasses won't fog up.  My daughter got this tip from a surgical nurse.  I have used it (as well as my students) when we have to wear masks along with safety glasses.

• Like 1

Hi,

I’ve been fiddling around here at home with masks.

I had in my closet a package of N95 and a package of  disposal light blue paper masks ( we’ve all seen them). I also had this black Velcro strip designed to pull the loops away from your ears.

Then I experimented. One day using one mask with Velcro. The next using the other mask & Velcro.  I went out and about my day … driving, grocery shopping, etc etc 😷😷

Both days were a success!!  NO Fogging on my glasses, a snug comfortable “mask” feel, and obviously NO pain on my ears.  🤓

My choices for masks are done. I will be bringing my cloth masks as a back up. I naturally only wear cloth or paper masks just once. But, if on the dressy night (in the MDR)  I want to match with my outfit, I have the option with my cloth masks. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Just bought ten Hanes Masks at CVS. They were $7.50 for a 5 pack and the second pack free. I also had just received a $5 off any purchase so the masks cost 25 cents each. This way I can wear fresh masks throughout the cruise. 

We leave Monday to fly to Seattle so we did a rapid test today and now it actually feels like we will really be cruising.

As far as fun, we are planning on spending a lot of time on our balcony where we can be mask free enjoying the scenery and reading kindles. We’ve been to Alaska many times and are looking forward to getting out of the triple digit heat and smoky air of California. That in itself will be “fun” or maybe enjoyable would be a better description. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 2:49 PM, chefchick said:

Let’s try a new topic…for those of you who have actually been on a mask mandated cruise (Carnival or other lines) can you give those of us who haven’t some tips to make it at least seem a little more palatable?  Of course, most of us have been wearing a mask at least in part for a year or more, but I haven’t taken a vacation in one. So….

Other than the obvious (stay outside or stay home) how would YOU make your mask mandated cruise more “fun”?  FYI, I am traveling to Alaska so hanging out by the pool won’t necessarily work for me 100%.

Honestly,  I’m not trying to start some sort of divisive argument here, I am trying to reframe my thoughts around the cruise “I thought I was going to have”. So please, no stop you’re whining , you’re on a cruise comments.

We've all had to wear masks pretty much everywhere for more than a year.  Why would having to wear one on a cruise be any different?  I recently traveled by plans...cumulative time in a mask was over 18 hours.  I survived.  A cruise is much easier since there are many places you don't have to wear one.