The Daily for Friday August 06, 2021

richwmn

35 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

What hotel are you staying at?  I’m thinking of changing our plans. 

I'm curious too.  I didn't think there were many hotels by the Smith Cove Pier 91 -- only at the other one at Alaskan Way.  I'm confused -- which wouldn't be a first.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Hi! When’s were you in Iceland? I was there July 8-18. We may have passed each other!

Ann

Hi Ann,

We arrived the morning of the 16th, walked around Reykjavik, and boarded Viking Sky around noon on Saturday. We might have passed each other!

Jack

• Like 5

Just catching up after a long day at work...this IS a wonderful group and I thank you all for such a warm welcome!  I would love to cruise with each of you some day!

I feel as though I should share a bit to introduce myself - my husband and I are in NJ and he is just recently retired after 39 years in the financial world.  I remain at work for a few reasons, most of all that I still love my job...and we still need health care!  

We both love cruising so much and truly cannot wait to get back to sea.  I booked the NS for next March almost a year ago, hoping that by then we'd be back to some semblance of normalcy.  Such high hopes for the restart, but feels like there are still some hurdles to get through.  Final payment isn't due until December so we will wait and see.  In the past year we've travelled only to our daughter's home in VA and one long weekend to Cooperstown NY.  I'm anxious to get back out and travel more.  We hope to get to Hilton Head this fall, but the conditions with Delta will drive that decision.

I feel for those of you struggling to find testing centers.  Here in my town, they announced just two weeks ago that they were closing the regional testing center for lack of use.  Not sure where I would end up going if I had to test...

Love reading about all of the wonderful places so many of you have been to - many are on my bucket list.  Thank you all for sharing your photos and memories.

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

When in March? We are booked for March 27...

We are the cruise before...March 16-27.  It will be our longest so far at 11 nights.

Funny, when we first started cruising my husband said "Just one week - I can't be away any longer", and we were always in an inside stateroom.  Cost effective.

A few years ago, for the first time, we booked what was for us a 'last minute' trip...an inside guarantee at about five weeks out for just $499 on Westerdam.  Pricing dropped just a week later and my PCC let me upgrade to a balcony guarantee for just $50pp more.  I kept it a secret from my husband, and when we got our room assignment I was beside myself with excitement...it was Deck 5, center aft.  My very first balcony was one of the awesome DEEP aft staterooms.  Two loungers, two regular chairs and a small table.  We were HOOKED.

Hubby then said "This cruising thing really IS relaxing...maybe we could try one a little longer".  So I found a 10-night on RCL and we loved it even more.  The very next HAL trip was then booked...10 night Sunfarer on Zuiderdam.  This time I REALLY splurged.  The Signature Suites were just $300pp more than the balcony I wanted, so I went for it.  Then...Explore 4 came out and for just $89 TOTAL we were able to add that.  The icing on the cake?  Upsell to a Neptune 10 days out for $299 each.  It was a trip to remember and probably the one that really, truly, made HAL my line of choice.

When I suggested 11 nights next...hubby said OK...and then added "When you finally retire, we'll go for 14 nights".  Yeah, he's hooked on it too!

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Good morning from a somewhat damp Pacific NW.  Woke up to a tiny amount of rain this morning.  It was sad to hear of the loss of life on the float plane; I have heard of that happening before.  Since it is Hiroshima Day,  I was about to post some pictures of our stop there in 2018, but @bennybear just posted similar, but better ones.  While the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were tragic events for the persons who lived and died there, there is another way to look at it.  Without the bombing, the war would have gone on for as long as a year more, with an invasion of Japan with an unknown number of deaths on both sides.  It was better to end the war in August, 1945 than sometime in 1946.

I totally agree, from a personel perspective.  My father was a flight mechanic in the US Army Air Corp and  on 25 Jul 1945 left the US and flew to Manila (or rather puddle-jumped).  If the bomb had not been dropped, I often wonder what could have happened to him.  

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 6

Thanks for all the daily information.

We have been to Albany twice, on Volendam and Maasdam Circumnavigation cruises. The ANZAC troops sailed from Albany to Gallipoli.(First World War)

The free shuttle bus runs frquently from the ship up to the shopping area.

@kazuyour flowers are beautiful.

@ger_77 pleased that your friend is doing well after the Mastectomy.  Enjoy your family visiting.

Take care, stay safe  everyone

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 8

Good evening,

Enjoyed reading all the news on here this evening.  My heart also goes out to those lost in the floatplane accident.  Prayers to all the families involved.

I like the breathe fresh air and wiggle your toes.  Good to do together!!  Our first visit to Hiroshima was with our family when the kids were 3rd, 5th, and 7th day. It was a very sobering moment when we saw all the hanging, folder cranes that Japanese school children were bring to the site.  For as crowded it was with school groups, it was amazingly quiet and everyone so respectful.  A place well worth visiting with our family.

Haven't been to today's port and enjoyed the pictures.

Welcome to newcomers.  This is a wonderful read everyday.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Prayers to all on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.  Thank you to all who take time to post.  

Stay well and safe.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily information.

We have been to Albany twice, on Volendam and Maasdam Circumnavigation cruises. The ANZAC troops sailed from Albany to Gallipoli.(First World War)

The free shuttle bus runs frquently from the ship up to the shopping area.

@kazuyour flowers are beautiful.

@ger_77 pleased that you friend is doing well after the Mastectomy.  Enjoy your family visiting.

Take care, stay safe  everyone

🚢Our Volendam cruise was from Vancouver Sept.24,  2014 also included the 'Circumnavigation' part and ended Nov. 22, 2014....from then on, we were "hooked" on longer cruises and loved Australia!🚢  We returned to Australia on a TransPacific from Seattle on the Maasdam in October,  2016.😎

FB_IMG_1628260277320.jpg

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I totally agree, from a personel perspective.  My father was a flight mechanic in the US Army Air Corp and  on 25 Jul 1945 left the US and flew to Manila (or rather puddle-jumped).  If the bomb had not been dropped, I often wonder what could have happened to him.  

My DFIL worked in San Diego building the B29s during the war.  When the planes were ready to begin flying, he and others in the plant were asked to join the Army Air Corp and go to Guam to help maintain the engines.  His specialty was the spark plugs.

Lenda

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@mamaofami. Carol, it's always nice when someone notices a big improvement after not seeing someone for awhile.  Such good news that Sam is doing better.  Continued good thoughts for a steady improvement.

Lenda

Thank you

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, Sharon in AZ said:

What hotel are you staying at?  I’m thinking of changing our plans. 

On 8/6/2021 at 5:33 PM, AncientWanderer said:

I'm curious too.  I didn't think there were many hotels by the Smith Cove Pier 91 -- only at the other one at Alaskan Way.  I'm confused -- which wouldn't be a first.

😉 I'm thinking they must have stayed at the Expedia Seattle Campus to be that close 😉

• Like 3