Is tipping in cash still preferred by cruise staff ?

runningtide

On 8/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, zitsky said:

I would prefer to give tips to people who earn it.  Yes I think salaries are low but then we should have minimum wage laws.  Should I give the pool $100 because they are sharing instead of the $20 I was going to give the waiter? 

Oh for pity sake. The cruise I just took on the Equinox has excellent service from the bathroom attendant to the cruise director. They could not have provided better service.  Therefore, I believe everyone is fine tuned into providing excellent service and pooling tips is totally appropriate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:23 AM, GottaKnowWhen said:

Every since I’ve been on Celebrity (2015) we have had to pay for gratuities up front. Sometimes it was called out as an extra charge, like taxes or port fees, sometimes it was included as part of a package deal like now with the “always included” promotion. But it has always been there. Which is good, because there are many who would tip nothing if they could get away with it. And making it part of the total cost allows the staff director to allocate portions of the gratuity overall pool to the “invisible “ crew members who would otherwise get nothing extra.

Stan

Tips included happened when Celebrity introduced anytime dining.  While it is included, (because often people would leave with no tipping), a passenger can go to the bursar and have the prepaid tips removed.  (Disgusting how many people actually do that, because almost none I would wager then go back and individually tip).  Unlike Silver Seas or Crystal which include the gratuities in the base price of the cruise. 

7 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Oh for pity sake. The cruise I just took on the Equinox has excellent service from the bathroom attendant to the cruise director. They could not have provided better service.  Therefore, I believe everyone is fine tuned into providing excellent service and pooling tips is totally appropriate.

Agree. We have yet to have bad service that warranted removing gratuities or thinking someone didn't earn their gratuity. It's none of my business if gratuities are pooled or not and who gets how much. If service from a certain discipline was that bad I would have no issues with speaking with them or their supervisor in private about it. I consider that my obligation.  

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Tips included happened when Celebrity introduced anytime dining.  While it is included, (because often people would leave with no tipping), a passenger can go to the bursar and have the prepaid tips removed.  (Disgusting how many people actually do that, because almost none I would wager then go back and individually tip).  Unlike Silver Seas or Crystal which include the gratuities in the base price of the cruise. 

Not true for US bookings. There was the option when SD was introduced to prepay but I never elected to prepay. I have never had prepaid gratuities added to any of our Celebrity cruises and we have done SD since it started. Now with AI, totally different and we like two out of three AI add ons. Gratuities and CBP being the two. 

The easiest tipping option available: add money to the gratuities in your account.  You may not get the same credit from the front-line staff, but they all get paid better and that's more important in my book.  I can't tip the laudry staff and tipping the person cleaning the public restrooms seems fair but a bit weird.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:35 AM, Pinboy said:

Pinboy can't talk about bars ( not a drinker ) but assume the Bar Tenders would share the tips after each shift.

In the Specialty restaurants , we were told on more than one occasion , if you add the tip to the bill , it goes into the tip pool for that restaurant. If you give a tip directly to your Server, that person keeps the tip-- no sharing with the pool.

A tip given directly to your Room Steward is not shared in the tip pool--- and, why would it ???

It's awful when those " sleezebags " remove their Gratuities !!!

Sleazebags??? Just because tipping is a Custom preferred by Americans (and Canadians?) why do Passengers from other Cultures HAVE TO adopt these practices? Cruise Lines should pay a decent wage to ANY/ALL of their Employees, then they would not have to depend on Tips!! 

Tips should be reserved for people who give me EXTRA GOOD SERVICE, - and should not just be applied (and expected) automatically.

Just extrapolate the Automatic Gratuities of $ 15.00 charged per Passenger on a fully booked Ship of 3 - 5000 Passengers? It's a hefty sum that Cruise Lines receive to subsidize their Operations. And where is the incentive of Staff, to provide (very) good Service on a fully-booked Cruise, when they already know, that they will receive their share anyway?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, awinkl said:

Sleazebags??? Just because tipping is a Custom preferred by Americans (and Canadians?) why do Passengers from other Cultures HAVE TO adopt these practices? Cruise Lines should pay a decent wage to ANY/ALL of their Employees, then they would not have to depend on Tips!! 

Tips should be reserved for people who give me EXTRA GOOD SERVICE, - and should not just be applied (and expected) automatically.

Just extrapolate the Automatic Gratuities of $ 15.00 charged per Passenger on a fully booked Ship of 3 - 5000 Passengers? It's a hefty sum that Cruise Lines receive to subsidize their Operations. And where is the incentive of Staff, to provide (very) good Service on a fully-booked Cruise, when they already know, that they will receive their share anyway?

I totally agree; firms should pay decent wages to their employees. I also believe that airlines should increase space between the seats, bars should give more generous pours, there should be enough deck chairs for all passengers, and I also believe in the Easter Bunny. Meanwhile, cruise lines are not paying such wages, they give us the illusion of lower prices, knowing that most will do the right thing and provide that extra small % in recognition of the fine service we are so fortunate to receive.

Stan

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, awinkl said:

Sleazebags??? Just because tipping is a Custom preferred by Americans (and Canadians?) why do Passengers from other Cultures HAVE TO adopt these practices?

Simply put, it's called respect. When I visit a foreign country, I adhere to their customs. I'd feel like a sleazebag if I didn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, awinkl said:

I guess when we go to your country we should not bother learning your language and should not follow any of your customs?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, awinkl said:

And where is the incentive of Staff, to provide (very) good Service on a fully-booked Cruise, when they already know, that they will receive their share anyway?

What the Staff receive from the Gratuities Included portion of the cruise fare is really part of their salary.

There is a huge incentive to provide the excellent service we always receive because " some " passengers are more generous than the sleezebags that line up at the end of the cruise to remove the gratuities that the entire Staff rely on. They are smart enough to know that if they remove the Gratuities at the beginning of the cruise, the Staff are made aware of it , and , treat them accordingly. 

Knowing how to say Thank You ( $$$$  ) is not a "cultural " thing , it a " person " thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awinkl said:

I think the vast majority of cruisers would agree with you that the staff should be paid a living wage. Regrettably  that is not the system in place, so we must adapt to the custom and practice in place. Yes the cruise lines  should just hide the cost in the fee and it is all sorted. 

The incentive to provide good (exceptional) service is pride in their work. The same as similar workers in a system similar to Australia  where people are paid a living wage...what is the incentive to provide good service?

2 hours ago, awinkl said:

That’s nice and all, but not the way it works…if I ever get the pleasure of visiting Australia, I’ll do it y’all’s way.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, awinkl said:

And where is the incentive of Staff, to provide (very) good Service on a fully-booked Cruise, when they already know, that they will receive their share anyway?

The incentive is that they keep their job. More than once I have had service or wait staff express the their hope that we favourably complete the post cruise review and mention their names. It's how they not only keep their job but also gain promotion. Sure, slip them some extra $$$ if you think their service was above and beyond but remember that it doesn't get them promoted.

Like you, I do not agree with the tipping culture. However, I am cogniscant of the method of remuneration used by cruise lines and if I cruise with a line that charges gratuities on top of fare I am happy to go with it - "when in Rome....".

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, canderson said:

See post #315.  If YOU know where to find the dunny, you're ahead of most Canadians.

A number of years ago, we had a table in the MDR with us the Canadians, a couple from the UK, and a couple from the US. We spent most of dinner translating comments by either couple for the other as neither understood some of the more colloquial phrases they were using.

I always make sure I know where the dunny is, as it is no longer outside. Also,

I have the wisdom if I happen to be watching an Aussie Football game, no to ask

Someone which team they root for, as root has a much more risqué meaning.

Catch you later.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ScubesDad said:

A number of years ago, we had a table in the MDR with us the Canadians, a couple from the UK, and a couple from the US. We spent most of dinner translating comments by either couple for the other as neither understood some of the more colloquial phrases they were using.

Catch you later.

That sounds like it would have been fun.

Sometimes when in New Zealand I would have to ask my wife to translate for me.😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScubesDad said:

Catch you later.

Many years ago I took my wife on a business trip to Australia.  We had dinner with 2 customers and their wives.  After dinner we were asked for dessert, my wife’s response - “Dinner was great, but I am stuffed”.  Table got very quiet.  

We (pre Covid) usually travel with NZ friends once a year.  So our phrase understanding is pretty good.  There are a few that we need translated, more phrases than words.   

• Haha 2