Is tipping in cash still preferred by cruise staff ?

runningtide

16 hours ago, Madio said:

Reminds me of my youngest daughter, who seemed to often lose her luggage when she flew.  I finally asked her how much she was tipping when she checked in at the curb.  Answer: “Oh, you’re supposed to tip?” I always overtip those guys, and now she does too (LOL).

Different country, different rules I suppose.

In another thread, it was pointed out that a lot of crew who are based out of ports convenient to Amazon deliveries for packages and mail (e.g., any of the Florida ports) will often make purchases from Amazon while onboard, and receive their packages 'on the turn'.  For those who wish to assure that a particular crew member receive an un-pooled tip, it has been suggested that Amazon gift cards might be a good alternative.

• Thanks 1

Reading this topic with interest. Being from the U.K. we tip in a restaurant and for taxis but it’s not common to do this for any other occasions I can think of. We would never remove the gratuities and always tip the cabin steward  and bar staff, but never until we have left, we hand the bar staff an envelope on leaving the bar for the last time and leave an envelope for the cabin steward to find  after we have left. Our tips are a Thank-you for  good service received whereas it seems that some tip really early in order to receive better service. I think that’s more of a bribe that a tip and not a classy thing to do at all. 

• Like 3

On 8/13/2021 at 2:33 PM, Laurab23 said:

I've seen them put tips in a cup at the martini bar so I guess they pool tips. Unless they are working alone when you give them a tip. Then I've seen them put it in their pockets.

Laura

If he worked alone,  the tips were pooled, but the pool size was one. 😉

2 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Reading this topic with interest. Being from the U.K. we tip in a restaurant and for taxis but it’s not common to do this for any other occasions I can think of. We would never remove the gratuities and always tip the cabin steward  and bar staff, but never until we have left, we hand the bar staff an envelope on leaving the bar for the last time and leave an envelope for the cabin steward to find  after we have left. Our tips are a Thank-you for  good service received whereas it seems that some tip really early in order to receive better service. I think that’s more of a bribe that a tip and not a classy thing to do at all. 

I totally agree with everything you say. Well, not everything, I can't say that I am from the U.K. But other than that. To go a bit beyond your comments, I think that bribing, aka early tipping, is not only not classy, but it also disrespects the server, steward, whoever. If I were in their position, I would resent the implication that I have no pride in my work, and that I would not do a good job unless given cash incentives up front. 

Stan

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I totally agree with everything you say. Well, not everything, I can't say that I am from the U.K. But other than that. To go a bit beyond your comments, I think that bribing, aka early tipping, is not only not classy, but it also disrespects the server, steward, whoever. If I were in their position, I would resent the implication that I have no pride in my work, and that I would not do a good job unless given cash incentives up front. 

Stan

tip early and tip often

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

Agreed 👍 

2 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

Just curious as to why this is preferable, do you think it gives an advantage? Would you tip in a restaurant before you are served a meal. Genuinely trying to understand the logic? 

Tipping before you are served a meal is a faulty analogy. It's more like if you plan on eating in the same restaurant 2 nights in a row, do you not tip on the first night?

This is not meant to endorse any method, it's just a way to explain the logic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

Just curious as to why this is preferable, do you think it gives an advantage? Would you tip in a restaurant before you are served a meal. Genuinely trying to understand the logic? 

No I would not, though good question,  I don’t spend 12 plus days in any restaurant I go to.  Just my thing on board and it works for me.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:04 AM, RichYak said:

Simply put, it's called respect. When I visit a foreign country, I adhere to their customs. I'd feel like a sleazebag if I didn't.

You may expect to HAVE TO GIVE TIPS, when visiting the USA, because it's ingrained there. But just because US owned Cruise Lines "underpay" their Staff - and then expect Passengers to subsidize their Salary Expenditure for Cruise Staff - doesn't sit well with me.

I am happy to Tip for extra good Service (on a Personal basis), but NOT when it is enforced on me and made "compulsory"!

On 8/31/2021 at 10:12 AM, zitsky said:

I guess when we go to your country we should not bother learning your language and should not follow any of your customs?

Hahaha -  NO, "you" don't have to learn our language, since the British left you with that legacy already. And whenever I go to your country, I can hardly overlook the "Held-out-Hand" everywhere - from people expecting a TIP for anything & everything🤣

2 hours ago, awinkl said:

You may expect to HAVE TO GIVE TIPS, when visiting the USA, because it's ingrained there. But just because US owned Cruise Lines "underpay" their Staff - and then expect Passengers to subsidize their Salary Expenditure for Cruise Staff - doesn't sit well with me.

I am happy to Tip for extra good Service (on a Personal basis), but NOT when it is enforced on me and made "compulsory"!

That's why they make you pay it up front - part of your cruise fare.  You pay it one way or the other.  Same for drinks.  They just include the tip and up the price.  You pay for it one way or the other.  😉

2 hours ago, awinkl said:

Hahaha -  NO, "you" don't have to learn our language, since the British left you with that legacy already. And whenever I go to your country, I can hardly overlook the "Held-out-Hand" everywhere - from people expecting a TIP for anything & everything🤣

We kicked you way before either of us were born.  You don’t like tipping then don’t but my philosophy is when in Rome do what the Romans do.

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2021 at 10:39 AM, Auntiemomo said:

That's why they make you pay it up front - part of your cruise fare.  You pay it one way or the other.  Same for drinks.  They just include the tip and up the price.  You pay for it one way or the other.  😉

You are right - one has to pay one way or another. The whole tipping discussion could be put to bed - if it was automatically included in the Cruise Price!! But a Passenger is given a choice - if they want a Drink-package - OR the Internet package ..... and if they want the Tip included!?!

I simply prefer to be able to Tip .... at my Discretion! And I also don't like anything that is COMPULSORY. And to the people who mentioned "Sleazebags" .... YOU can tip whatever you want and increase the (suggested) daily amount 10-fold, just don't throw around labels, when there is a FREE CHOICE given.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:11 AM, sunlover33 said:

Perhaps some people tip early on to make sure that they still have cash left in order to do so. Tipping in cash was historically a problem because many passengers would up spending their money and then shirking the crew.

• Haha 2

On 9/20/2021 at 11:20 AM, GottaKnowWhen said:

I think that bribing, aka early tipping, is not only not classy, but it also disrespects the server, steward, whoever. If I were in their position, I would resent the implication that I have no pride in my work, and that I would not do a good job unless given cash incentives up front. 

In the " real world "---

" NOPE-- I ain't acceptin no $50 tip --- and DON'T disrespect me . OK - OK , go ahead -- I'll get over the implication ( in about 10 seconds ) that I don't have no pride in my work " . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1