STILL STRUGGLING CELEBRITY OR NCL, WESTERN OR EASTERN MED???

etravel

Have it down to 2 different cruises, both in mid-September next year...NCL Jade 7 Day Greek Isles...does a nice selection of Greek Isles and is on the Jade...Celebrity is West.Med on the Edge, sails out of Rome does Ajaccio, Corsica, Portofino Italy, Cannes, Barcelona, and Palma De Mallorca...Edge is 8 nights with 2 days at sea..NCL sails from Athens and pretty much does an Island every day...but a few short port days and a late port call into Patmos...So some ship time there as well...I think the Edge is def. the nicer of the ships and the ports are interesting..but then the Jade looks like not quite as nice of a ship but some awesome Greek Isles...Anyone have any thoughts or have done both and prefer one over the other...have never done a Celebrity but several Royal, NCL, Disney, Carnival etc...! Hmm, can't decide! 

oh and Celebrity has a $600 OBC (for early booking and Elevate extra credit), NCL has $100 OBC but does have the air included but I know sometimes their air isn't the greatest...NCL is about 1K total more than the Edge...

11 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

Edge!  Especially if you’ve never been to Rome.  We also loved Barcelona!  Having said that we loved our Greek Island cruise too.  

Have been to Rome as a Chaperone on a school trip, but would love to take my husband to the Vatican on this one! 

• Like 1

Celebrity all the way. The line is far superior. We used to sail NCL but they really started nickel and dimeing. Charging for steak in the MDR things like that. Celebrity has superior service, food and accommodations. I’d say the ports sound amazing.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Unless things have dramatically changed the food on NCL is the worst of all the big cruise lines. When we docked next to NCL in my cruising I heard some very unflattering comments on the food from numerous NCL passengers. I’ve been on one NCL cruise myself quite a while ago, food was ok. My meals on Celebrity have been excellent.

I second this. Sailed NCL Jan 2020 and the food was ranged from okay to bad. I ordered pad thai one night and could not finish it. I ended up getting the steak most nights because they actually did that nicely. Sailed Edge recently and had some incredible meals and only dined buffet or MDR. If food is important to you, definitely go Celebrity. 

• Like 2

We had an aft suite on Jade for 11 nights Med cruise and it was a great experience but we both felt we would have been disappointed with a 'regular' cabin on the ship. Having been on S Class X ships to me the Edge (and X) would be a superior choice in every way (itinerary in the eye of the beholder).

• Like 1

I cannot speak to NCL because I have never cruised on one of their ships. I am a Celebrity cruiser, including the Edge, because that is where I am comfortable and find much enjoyment. Itineraries, service, ships etc., it all works for me. NCL has never been an attraction.

Obviously, you are comfortable with NCL. That is important. If something new is attractive to you, then the X brand will certainly be a step up and will not disappoint. If you must have the Greek Isles itinerary, there are other X ships cruising those waters at that time, the Edge as well. 

Difficult sometimes to move away from familiarity and comfort and peace of mind. Many factors in making the decision to do so. However, in this case, if everything can be worked out to your satisfaction, cruising on a Celebrity ship will be a very wise decision.  

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, etravel said:

Have it down to 2 different cruises, both in mid-September next year...NCL Jade 7 Day Greek Isles...does a nice selection of Greek Isles and is on the Jade...Celebrity is West.Med on the Edge, sails out of Rome does Ajaccio, Corsica, Portofino Italy, Cannes, Barcelona, and Palma De Mallorca...Edge is 8 nights with 2 days at sea..NCL sails from Athens and pretty much does an Island every day...but a few short port days and a late port call into Patmos...So some ship time there as well...I think the Edge is def. the nicer of the ships and the ports are interesting..but then the Jade looks like not quite as nice of a ship but some awesome Greek Isles...Anyone have any thoughts or have done both and prefer one over the other...have never done a Celebrity but several Royal, NCL, Disney, Carnival etc...! Hmm, can't decide! 

We have done a cruise on the NCL Jade, it is a nice ship, never done the Edge.

We don't pick cruised by the ship, but the itinerary and price.  The Jade is out of Athens and does the Greek Isles, which we liked more than the W. Med.

You didn't mention prices!  What are they.  Celebrity's prices have tended very high as of late.  

Between NCL and Celebrity, we would pick Celebrity based on better dining and service.   NCL has better entertainment.

Are you looking for more of a relaxing "beachy" Greek islands holiday, or are you looking to do some sightseeing in a mix of European cities with interesting history, etc.  It's hard to get a sense from your post as to your priorities.  Itinerary is a very important part of the Med experience, especially for US cruisers that can't get there so easily.

From what you've said of the itinerary differences, the Edge one would excite me more. You've got a mix of grand cities (Rome, Barcelona) and ritzy W. Med resorts.  You don't give the full Jade itinerary -- Athens is clearly worth a couple of days but -- and forgive me because I'm not a beachy person -- I think a cruise with a different Greek Island every day sounds nice, but a little dull. You may feel very different!

At any rate, my pick would be Celebrity both for ship AND itinerary. And yes, I have sailed NCL and actually have an upcoming cruise booked on them -- an itinerary I cannot find with anyone else. But they would never be my first choice.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Are you looking for more of a relaxing "beachy" Greek islands holiday, or are you looking to do some sightseeing in a mix of European cities with interesting history, etc.  It's hard to get a sense from your post as to your priorities.  Itinerary is a very important part of the Med experience, especially for US cruisers that can't get there so easily.

From what you've said of the itinerary differences, the Edge one would excite me more. You've got a mix of grand cities (Rome, Barcelona) and ritzy W. Med resorts.  You don't give the full Jade itinerary -- Athens is clearly worth a couple of days but -- and forgive me because I'm not a beachy person -- I think a cruise with a different Greek Island every day sounds nice, but a little dull. You may feel very different!

At any rate, my pick would be Celebrity both for ship AND itinerary. And yes, I have sailed NCL and actually have an upcoming cruise booked on them -- an itinerary I cannot find with anyone else. But they would never be my first choice.

Thanks for your help...We have been on NCL Caribb. cruises and have mainly done their Haven cabins, the Haven Spa Suites..which is VERY nice...but on this cruise we have another couple going so don't want to sticker shock them, so we would be doing the Concierge balcony cabins on either of the lines. The Jade makes stops at Kusadasi, Turkey (this one looked interesting!), Patmos, Rhodes, Mykonos, Argostoli, Corfu, and Santorini...So definitely an Island hop adventure and more of the very pretty scenery, villages,  and beaches...The Edge does interest me with more of the better sightseeing aspect. The Edge also seems to offer the plus of the very upgraded ship! We are going to do a NCL Haven on their Breakaway in May (Future cruise credit with the 125% helped us a lot on that one, Eastern Carib). So might be nice to switch it up and do the Celebrity. Celebrity does have an Italy and Greece 17th of September which looks awesome too, but one in our group has a date issue with that one...Thanks again for all the advise! 

On 8/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, Cg52 said:

Celebrity all the way. The line is far superior. We used to sail NCL but they really started nickel and dimeing. Charging for steak in the MDR things like that. Celebrity has superior service, food and accommodations. I’d say the ports sound amazing.

True, but the price on a Celebrity cruise is typically way more than a comparable cruise on NCL, so you have a lot of nickels and dimes to upgrade your steak or eat at the specialties. The service on Celebrity is typically better, the ships seem less crowded but on the flip side if you like to party NCL has a lot more going on in the evenings.  We did a 7 day Celebrity out of LA a few years back and it was just over $4k, our upcoming Nov NCL 7 day out of LA is $2800.  So I have $1200 worth of nickels and dimes to upgrade my meals and ride the go carts 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

I have been on the Celebrity voyage (Reflection) that went to Rome, Naples, Messina (Sicily), Athens, Kudasi, Mykonos , Santorini, and Rhodes. All of those stops were great. Kudasi- with the tour of the ancient town of Ephesus is incredible! I even had time to bargain for rugs in Kudasi ( the government ships them free to US). I’m going out of Rome next August 8 on the new Beyond (Edge class) to the Greek islands again from Rome with 2 new Greek ports on the mainland. The western Med is nice but the Jade itinerary IMO is the best. Too bad the Celebrity Greek islands voyage is not a good date. If it was me , a diehard Celebrity cruiser I (gasp) I would go on the jade. The ports are all excellent! 

Dwight1...I think you are right, I would like to do the Greek Isles and the stops look excellent...But I so wish Celebrity had a date that would work for us!! My husband is in the accounting field and has a lot of deadlines so we have to watch out for those! 😒 I did notice that Royal Caribbean has their new Odyssey of the Seas doing the Greek Isles and they have one date that might work...Although on Royal during the summer I think there would be a lot of kids (Gasp..lol) but looks like a beautiful ship and great rate on a balcony (of course we would have to consider what you have to add to the rate i.e. the drink pkg, wifi, some specialty restaurants)...So still pondering but I think Celebrity seems like a wonderful line! 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 1:45 PM, etravel said:

In all honestly I think it really depends on what type of cabin you are looking at. I feel the Haven product is a touch better that Retreat. If we are talking basic balconies, then I would go with Celebrity. Food and drinks are far superior on Celebrity and that sells it for me. My opinion only but if you look at what you get for the money with Celebrity (drinks, tips, basic WIFI), you really get a great deal.

58 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

My Celebrity Italy/Greek cruise was in July as I was a Finance Manager too. The number of children on the cruise was very reasonable even though it was in the middle of the summer, I really never noticed them . We were in a balcony cabin as at 12 days my usual upgrade was a little pricey. You may want to consider a June/ July/August cruise on Celebrity as an alternative. On Celebrity the children crush you may very well run into with that time period on NCL and RC would be far less. On purpose Celebrity does not have climbing walls, go karts, big pool slides, miniature golf and all the other bells and whistles for the young crowd to cater to a more adult passenger. 

I can’t speak about NCL, but I doubt Very Much that any season cruising on Celebrity in the Med would have any ‘children crush’. I’ve made 25 Celebrity cruises and made 6 East/Wed Med cruises in a mix of months and never noticed kids much at all. So that really isn’t an consideration, in my opinion.

Den

• Like 1

I like the Haven experience on NCL.  Going to try the Retreat on Celebrity in a month.  The one thing that I like about NCL is the Haven, being self contained.  Celebrity has always had awesome food and service, although it has been awhile for me.  Frankly,  I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Interesting that the COST of a cruise is hardly mentioned when people post remarks comparing cruise lines.

We have cruised Celebrity, Royal C. and NCL and prefer them in that order.

HOWEVER, COST can have us pick a specific cruise.

We have done 20 ocean cruises and none were bad.   

Of course, some people go first class when flying, clearly cost is not  a big deal.  No problem, it is an individual decision, but the less we pay for a cruise, the more cruises and travel we can do.