CVS Rapid Antigen Test

12cruise2

Seems to me there can be potential difficulties getting these tests . We gave cruises booked in Nov & Dec 2022 . If they still require that covid test ,we may just cancel all 3 cruises ;because it seems to me people have to jump through hoops to travel on a ship 

• Like 2

I had a pretty easy process with cvs getting rapid antigen test. Sign up for appointment 2 weeks ahead of time and fill out some info online. Got reminders and created a mychart sign on so I could print results out. Little confusing signage at the store where to go but I asked at the pharmacy and they directed me to the minute clinic. 

Don't be late or they will cancel your appointment.  I printed results within an hour of the test.

• Like 1

What guarantee does any one have that taking a Covid test at CVS  72  hours before boarding the ship that they will in fact have the test results in their hands in time for their cruise ?   Imo this leaves little wiggle room for human errors 

I don’t know about the timelines at cvs or Walgreens or rite aid but am going to pay the $170 for the test at carbon health  in Portland 2 days before cruise out of San Diego .   Carbon health also does these tests at San Diego airport .  They are a partner in the safe Hawaii travel program with Alaska air but will test for any trip . I used them in January and result came in 30 minutes , in may they said results will come next day and it did . 

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

What guarantee does any one have that taking a Covid test at CVS  72  hours before boarding the ship that they will in fact have the test results in their hands in time for their cruise ?   Imo this leaves little wiggle room for human errors 

If you'll read the earlier posts, people report that the Rapid Antigen Test results seem to be available within an hour.  And the timing for when the test must be taken/negative is now 3 days ahead, not 72 hours, so that gives all of the morning the third day before the cruise to get tested--huge help.  Schedule a backup appointment elsewhere so that if for some reason CVS is not available, you have that option.  Sad, but I think we need to schedule more than one.

18 hours ago, maggieq said:

Do you need the my chart app to receive results you can print out?  I though cvs would be able to email a copy. Thanks!

In the early posts on this thread, people report receiving email results in about an hour--their words.  So I take that to mean those results were not through MyChart but were emailed directly to them.  When one completes the signup for the test, it asks for an email address.  Need to be sure it is correct.  I haven't personally been tested yet, so I'm just repeating what others who have have reported.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

In the early posts on this thread, people report receiving email results in about an hour--their words.  So I take that to mean those results were not through MyChart but were emailed directly to them.  When one completes the signup for the test, it asks for an email address.  Need to be sure it is correct.  I haven't personally been tested yet, so I'm just repeating what others who have have reported.

I got a phone call from the guy who tested me at CVS telling me that I was negative and then also got an email from them saying I had test results available and had to view them through MyChart. I had to create an account with them to be able to view and download my results but it was easy to do. I had to do the same for the place where I took my PCR test so I’m guessing this is the norm and they don’t want to send sensitive medical info via email. 

I copied my own post from another HAL thread on this board but ,I feel the main content applies here as well   . So why doesn't the cruise line cTest at the port of embarkation ? Here is my copied & pasted other post :

"

• March 27, 2011
  • North Coastal San Diego county

"This discussion of days vs hours is hilarious ,when you consider what I already said that any person who has been vaccinated can get the Delta variant from some one else between the time they were tested for covid & boarding the ship . So testing before any cruise within 72 hours is definitely not a guarantee that covid will not board the ship . This already happened via a small cruise ship in the Bahamas .It made news ^ Cruise Critic people were aboard that small cruise vessel . Not only did they require testing 72 hours  our from boarding but gave the same test at the cruise pier  yet there were at least 6 or 8 people sick with covid on that vessel . So so much for the cruise lines requiring a test 72 hours in advance of boarding , They be far safer not to have covid aboard the ship if they tested every one when they arrived at the embarkation pier    .Other wise the cruise line is rolling the dice & the odds are dubious "

4 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

I got a phone call from the guy who tested me at CVS telling me that I was negative and then also got an email from them saying I had test results available and had to view them through MyChart. I had to create an account with them to be able to view and download my results but it was easy to do. I had to do the same for the place where I took my PCR test so I’m guessing this is the norm and they don’t want to send sensitive medical info via email. 

Okay, good to know.  Makes sense for sure to use CVS MyChart to return the results in writing.  We also have MyChart for our regular medical care as well.

Edited by 12cruise2
added words

On 8/20/2021 at 3:26 PM, zelker said:

Part of the problem finding rapid tests undoubtedly has to do with this!  

Maker of Popular Covid Test Told Factory to Destroy Inventory (msn.com)

I just ordered a set of 6 of the Abbott tests ($150) yesterday (8/20), and they have been shipped via FedEx and will be here on Monday. So at least that company still has them. Results are in about 15 minutes, with email confirmation sent to you. 

Note: The ones from eMed are "Medically Supervised" via telemedicine so they are acceptable to HAL and airlines. The ones you can purchase in the store (and possibly Amazon) are not supervised - so are not approved to prove to HALL/airlines. But they will tell you if you are/are not infested with The COVID Bug...

13 hours ago, Timbers said:

I don’t know about the timelines at cvs or Walgreens or rite aid but am going to pay the $170 for the test at carbon health  in Portland 2 days before cruise out of San Diego .   Carbon health also does these tests at San Diego airport .  They are a partner in the safe Hawaii travel program with Alaska air but will test for any trip . I used them in January and result came in 30 minutes , in may they said results will come next day and it did . 

Thanks for info. We are also in Portland area  and also on November cruise out of San Diego. Was stressing over testing your comments helped. 

Download the carbon health app, create an account with them, use a password you can easily remember . Schedule your pre travel covid test online for  a test at the Portland airport location ( it is outside under tents on the traffic island in front of the alaska airline check in area ).     I have had 2 tests there , a very streamlined process. Remember that it’s the Pdx test location at Portland airport . If you will be in San Diego 2 days prior to cruise their is a location of carbon health at San Diego airport .  The test result will be emailed to you and will also be shown in your account, a pdf format is available if you want a paper copy or to download to your phone . I suggest always having a paper copy of the test . Its $170 .   I guess you can always try a drug store and if you get a quick result just cancel your test with carbon .  I would advise making the online appointment now , you can see the times available and choose a time. 

• Like 1

Ok. SO what happens if the test come back +? You cannot cruise?

Do you get a refund from HAL or only if you purchased insurance?

Also, your airfare and hotel reservation may be lost as well?

Seems like a VERY stressful situation to endure.

Personally not worth it. 

Willing to wait until these draconian restrictions ease.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Timbers said:

Download the carbon health app, create an account with them, use a password you can easily remember . Schedule your pre travel covid test online for  a test at the Portland airport location ( it is outside under tents on the traffic island in front of the alaska airline check in area ).     I have had 2 tests there , a very streamlined process. Remember that it’s the Pdx test location at Portland airport . If you will be in San Diego 2 days prior to cruise their is a location of carbon health at San Diego airport .  The test result will be emailed to you and will also be shown in your account, a pdf format is available if you want a paper copy or to download to your phone . I suggest always having a paper copy of the test . Its $170 .   I guess you can always try a drug store and if you get a quick result just cancel your test with carbon .  I would advise making the online appointment now , you can see the times available and choose a time. 

That's what we did. We scheduled a rapid PCR with Carbon as our plan b, we gave credit card info, but they won't run it until time of test, so we can cancel if necessary.

Still not happy with HAL dumping the task of finding tests on their passengers and I lit into them when they asked me to do a recent survey on their website.

The way I understand it is if you have positive test result Holland America will give you a credit as part of their “no worry policy “.    This would be even if you don’t have cruise insurance from them .      

Quite stressful for sure especially since the test requirement was added after people booked the cruise . With only about 10 on the roll call for the sept 25 cruise does anyone have a guess as far a as the estimate of how full the ship will be on the Mexico cruise sept 25

3 hours ago, Timbers said:

Quite stressful for sure especially since the test requirement was added after people booked the cruise . With only about 10 on the roll call for the sept 25 cruise does anyone have a guess as far a as the estimate of how full the ship will be on the Mexico cruise sept 25

Stressful for me!!   I booked the Sea of Cortez Nov. 6 onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam July 31 sailing.  Final payment was due the day after we got home which was the full amount less deposit.  After I paid  I read the HAL web page about the negative COVID test, I was not happy.  I hope my health plan will be able to do the test in time.  In the desert where we live none of the stores do a rapid antigen test.  Nearest CVS doing it is in Riverside, CA. One possible company that is in my area covidclinic.org, has a BBB rating of F and pages of complaints.  Their rapid test is $129, but I am hesitant to use them after reading the horrible reviews.

Could you arrive in San Diego in November 4 and have the test there  such as at San Diego airport . Carbon health guarantees next day result  or quicker but it’s $170 for it in Portland, not sure how much in California .  Looks like you probably got a nice price for your cruise so maybe spend the extra money required for a guarantee quick result .  Pre travel is stressful enough without worrying about the test result coming in time 

7 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

Ok. SO what happens if the test come back +? You cannot cruise?

Do you get a refund from HAL or only if you purchased insurance?

Also, your airfare and hotel reservation may be lost as well?

Seems like a VERY stressful situation to endure.

Personally not worth it. 

Willing to wait until these draconian restrictions ease.

Draconian measures?! Yea, lax health measure will help keep everyone safe!!

• Like 1

BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag HOME TEST is accepted by Holland America. 

If you go to Carnival board you can see how easy it is doing it at home. Make sure you buy the home test and not the self test. Our neighbor just used this service. He had a bad cold and wanted to be sure it was not Covid. (Just a cold) The proctor walks you through the process. He told us it was easy and took a load off his mind knowing he was ok.