Starbucks on all NCL ships

EllieinNJ

uh, thanks for your providing your personal opinion of Starbucks brand coffee, very helpful

Honestly, didn't even remember they were on NCL ships it has been so long now ha ha.....it looks like you can use your reward program, so if they can do that, they should be able to do gift cards

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Starbucks-coffee-on-every-Norwegian-Cruise-Line-ship

Edited by pghflyer
  • Like 6

In theory, any ship with a licensed Starbucks will accept the Starbucks gift cards/Starbucks app for payment at those stores. NCL recently announced an expanded partnership with Starbucks but that does not seem to include licensed stores across the fleet. The ones on Sky and Getaway are supposedly actual licensed locations but I can't confirm that they take the cards or app. Per the announcement, licensed stores will be added in the near future to Gem, Breakaway, Pearl, Epic, and Escape. Prima will also have a licensed store. 

I can vouch from personal experience that your gift card and the Starbucks app work just fine in the licensed Starbucks stores on Bliss, Encore, and Joy. Heck, Joy has two of them - one by Guest Services and a smaller one in the Observation Lounge. 

Caveat: The gift card & app only work in a licensed store, which will look like the ones in Target or supermarkets. If it's a place like the Atrium Bar where the signage says "we proudly serve Starbucks," that doesn't count.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I have two cruises booked.  One on Breakaway and one on Epic.  It would be nice if I could use them for cappuccinos.

I’m not a fan of their coffee TBH, but that wasn’t your question. I think the Gem has at least one dedicated Starbucks cafe and would expect them to honor the gift card. One option would be to add the gift card to your Starbucks app and I believe they can just scan the app when you’re on the ship. I don’t know when you’re traveling but I plan to be on the Gem next month and can try it out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I have a $50 Starbucks gift card.  According to my friend Google only Bliss and Joy accept them but maybe their info is not yet updated.  Anyone know if they are now accepted fleetwide?

The answer to your very specific question is "no", not fleetwide since Starbucks is not on every ship. If you are asking about your upcoming Epic cruise, the answer is "yes". 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 4:53 PM, pghflyer said:

uh, thanks for your providing your personal opinion of Starbucks brand coffee, very helpful

Honestly, didn't even remember they were on NCL ships it has been so long now ha ha.....it looks like you can use your reward program, so if they can do that, they should be able to do gift cards

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Starbucks-coffee-on-every-Norwegian-Cruise-Line-ship

I have no firsthand knowledge.  However some non-traditional Starbucks don't accept gift cards.  I seem to recall having difficulty -- not on a cruise but in a resort-like setting, though can't remember the specifics.

Another question is whether the Beverage Plus package includes everything at Starbucks as well.  The brochure is silent to that.

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I have no firsthand knowledge.  However some non-traditional Starbucks don't accept gift cards.  I seem to recall having difficulty -- not on a cruise but in a resort-like setting, though can't remember the specifics.

Another question is whether the Beverage Plus package includes everything at Starbucks as well.  The brochure is silent to that.

If you are referring to the premium plus beverage package upgrade, it does indeed include Starbucks beverages (aka specialty coffee). https://www.ncl.com/terms/premium-plus-beverage-package-full

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 1:09 PM, EllieinNJ said:

I have a $50 Starbucks gift card.  According to my friend Google only Bliss and Joy accept them but maybe their info is not yet updated.  Anyone know if they are now accepted fleetwide?

I have personally used my Starbucks app and/or gift card on the Getaway, Sky, Bliss and Encore. The app will not update in real time but the barista can give you a receipt with your remaining balance. You will earn 'Stars' for your purchases but you cannot redeem them on the ship.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 8:15 PM, DCGuy64 said:

I’m not a fan of their coffee TBH, but that wasn’t your question. I think the Gem has at least one dedicated Starbucks cafe and would expect them to honor the gift card. One option would be to add the gift card to your Starbucks app and I believe they can just scan the app when you’re on the ship. I don’t know when you’re traveling but I plan to be on the Gem next month and can try it out. 

What did you find out?  Did it work on the Gem?

• 3 weeks later...

After a long chat with a lady on NCL it appears that if you get the Premium Plus drink upgrade then the Starbucks beverages from the onboard franchise are included… in case you are considering that option . 

Phylicia (2021-10-31, 7:42:01 AM): Yes, it includes all drinks at the Starbucks franchise

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:52 PM, AwesomO said:

If you are referring to the premium plus beverage package upgrade, it does indeed include Starbucks beverages (aka specialty coffee). https://www.ncl.com/terms/premium-plus-beverage-package-full

The above link includes this:

"For non-select bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included), “Wine and Spirit Experiences”, tastings, and flights, guest will receive a 40% discount when purchased on board."

How does one know which bottles of wine are included as "non-select"?

Perhaps I'm just missing it, but on the NCL wine list, I don't see any special grouping of "select" choices or such.

Getting 40% off bottles of wine would certainly help offset the cost of the gratuities on the beverage perk.

The other thing that might tilt it in favor of the beverage perk is that bottled water is included, and that includes sparkling.  Does that mean that the San Pellegrino that we usually run through (wherever we are) is also included?

And NCL no longer has Coca Cola products... just Pepsi now?

DH will be delighted about the Starbucks 🙂

Thanks.

GC

On 8/28/2021 at 6:51 PM, debenson0723 said:

I have personally used my Starbucks app and/or gift card on the Getaway, Sky, Bliss and Encore. The app will not update in real time but the barista can give you a receipt with your remaining balance. You will earn 'Stars' for your purchases but you cannot redeem them on the ship.

Great news since I’m on the Bliss in 2 weeks. 😉 I’ll make sure to keep my receipts to check my balance and stars. 

Did the Breakaway get Starbucks yet?

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have yet found a Starbucks on a ship that would allow us to use our Gold card to buy their overpriced coffee.

Have you been on the Getaway? I think I read that the SB app was welcomed on the Encore just this past season.

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

How does one know which bottles of wine are included as "non-select"?

Perhaps I'm just missing it, but on the NCL wine list, I don't see any special grouping of "select" choices or such.

On the Premium Plus list, there are specific bottles which are included with your dinner each night.  The rest would not be included but would be 40% off.  Of course, all wine by the glass is included but most would be in the basic package as well.  Champagne, at ~$35/glass, would quickly make the Plus package worthwhile.

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

The other thing that might tilt it in favor of the beverage perk is that bottled water is included, and that includes sparkling.  Does that mean that the San Pellegrino that we usually run through (wherever we are) is also included?

And NCL no longer has Coca Cola products... just Pepsi now?

Correct on the Pellegrino.  And NCL has been Pepsi only for at least 10 years, I believe.

Edited by phillygwm