The E.U. is set to reimpose travel restrictions on U.S. visitors.

tuxala

Story from the New York Times:

"The European Union is set to advise member states that they should reintroduce travel restrictions for visitors from the United States, three E.U. officials said on Sunday, as coronavirus infections and hospitalizations have surged in the U.S. in recent weeks.

Starting Monday, the officials said, the United States will be removed from a “safe list” of countries whose residents can travel to the 27-nation bloc without additional restrictions, such as quarantine and testing requirements. The suggested restrictions, made by the European Council, will not be mandatory for member countries, and it will remain up to those countries to decide whether or not to impose them."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/08/29/world/covid-delta-variant-vaccine?type=styln-live-updates&label=coronavirus updates&index=0#the-eu-is-set-to-reimpose-travel-restrictions-on-us-visitors

Crud . . .

29 minutes ago, tuxala said:

Story from the New York Times:

"The European Union is set to advise member states that they should reintroduce travel restrictions for visitors from the United States, three E.U. officials said on Sunday, as coronavirus infections and hospitalizations have surged in the U.S. in recent weeks.

Starting Monday, the officials said, the United States will be removed from a “safe list” of countries whose residents can travel to the 27-nation bloc without additional restrictions, such as quarantine and testing requirements. The suggested restrictions, made by the European Council, will not be mandatory for member countries, and it will remain up to those countries to decide whether or not to impose them."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/08/29/world/covid-delta-variant-vaccine?type=styln-live-updates&label=coronavirus updates&index=0#the-eu-is-set-to-reimpose-travel-restrictions-on-us-visitors

Crud . . .

have to set up account to read..........

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'd want to find out how that will effect flights through Heathrow since that is a very common first stopping point when headed to Europe.

We will see.  I was watching the EU and the U.K. restrictions earlier in the year as we were planning a trip to Ireland.  Passing through the U.K. made no difference on restrictions.  This was for Ireland.  As the article notes, the member states can modify the requirements,  but are encouraged to follow the EU’s advice.  

2 minutes ago, milolii said:

We will see.  I was watching the EU and the U.K. restrictions earlier in the year as we were planning a trip to Ireland.  Passing through the U.K. made no difference on restrictions.  This was for Ireland.  As the article notes, the member states can modify the requirements,  but are encouraged to follow the EU’s advice.  

That's good to hear. I read recently on the MSC forum that Italy would consider just passing through the UK at Heathrow as a reason to quarantine.

Sadly, EU aren't alone imposing restrictions for US travelers flying into / arriving ...

I don't believe NCL and/or any other major cruiselines are planning to sail or even make a port stop in Hong Kong, SAR (China) anytime soon - any one of us carrying or using USA passports, coming from the US are now in the "A" list of countries - high risk places.  And, must jump thru hoops and get pre-tested and still face mandatory nasal testing on arrival, then be shuttle bused to one of the approved & designated hotels nearby for a mandatory 21 days of quarantine/preventive isolation - at one's own expenses, that's including meals, etc. - a single word describe it, CRAZY ... godda be kidding me, but no and it's for real.  A close cousin of mine cancelled her planned trip next month to fly there to attend a wedding function, hell no - as much as she was committed and wanted to go, and being a nurse herself & know all the if's and but's, risks & all - not going, just not worth all the trouble AND expenses involved.

Here are the details posted on CX airline's website - http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/covid-19/worldwide-travel-restrictions.html

So what is NCLs policy if we are paid in full, less than 60 days to sail, but now we can’t go due to not being allowed in the country?   Do we get FCC or a refund?  I can’t find that policy on their page.  The only thing I can find is regarding testing positive for COVID.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, goodmanl1975 said:

So what is NCLs policy if we are paid in full, less than 60 days to sail, but now we can’t go due to not being allowed in the country?   Do we get FCC or a refund?  I can’t find that policy on their page.  The only thing I can find is regarding testing positive for COVID.

I chatted with them today about switching to another sailing, we are supposed to sail from Greece next week. If you are within 14 days of sailing you have to go along with everything they and the governments throw at you or lose your money. Unfortunately they are not giving another option to those feeling uncomfortable with all the last minute changes and it doesn’t seem like they are going to cancel either 

2 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

I chatted with them today about switching to another sailing, we are supposed to sail from Greece next week. If you are within 14 days of sailing you have to go along with everything they and the governments throw at you or lose your money. Unfortunately they are not giving another option to those feeling uncomfortable with all the last minute changes and it doesn’t seem like they are going to cancel either 

I am 47 days out so I have time to decide.  But if as an American I am not even allowed into Italy or Greece without quarantining,  I will definitely be canceling.  Just curious if I would get a refund or FCC, as their policy is confusing to me.

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goodmanl1975 said:

I am 47 days out so I have time to decide.  But if as an American I am not even allowed into Italy or Greece without quarantining,  I will definitely be canceling.  Just curious if I would get a refund or FCC, as their policy is confusing to me.

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

If they cancel you would get a refund, but what I’ve seen so far is they are avoiding cancelling even as more and more warnings and changes come up. At least for those sailing in the near future. If you cancel you only get a credit 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

If they cancel you would get a refund, but what I’ve seen so far is they are avoiding cancelling even as more and more warnings and changes come up. At least for those sailing in the near future. If you cancel you only get a credit 

Well, we well wait and see what tomorrow brings.

• Like 1

Also bear in mind that not all EU countries will actually follow the recommendation. Not long ago the EU made a similar announcement regarding certain batches of the Astra Zeneca vaccine because of where they were manufactured. Only a few countries actually imposed the ban. The individual countries take their own decisions on if they follow or not and many of them rely on tourist money. Keep an eye on the the official travel advice from the government of the counties you are travelling to. 

From reading here it seems the Barcelona/Italy cruises are already fairly sunk due to port and quarantine restrictions. Someone said the Greek cruise this week is extremely empty. 

I wish they would just cancel them now so we can do something else with our planned time off this week. I can deal with wearing  masks and jumping through texting hoops, but this is quickly turning into a ride gone bad and we can’t get off anymore. Super low capacity means no real parties or fun atmosphere. And the chance of getting stuck in quarantine overseas or missing ports  keeps increasing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

From reading here it seems the Barcelona/Italy cruises are already fairly sunk due to port and quarantine restrictions. Someone said the Greek cruise this week is extremely empty. 

I wish they would just cancel them now so we can do something else with our planned time off this week. I can deal with wearing  masks and jumping through texting hoops, but this is quickly turning into a ride gone bad and we can’t get off anymore. Super low capacity means no real parties or fun atmosphere. And the chance of getting stuck in quarantine overseas or missing ports  keeps increasing. 

Not everyone are from America.

18 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

Sorry yes that’s true of course. I was under the impression that the majority of passengers are American though since it’s a US cruise line. 

We have a lot of UK residents on our cruise in Sept on Epic

55 minutes ago, larrywizzit said:

Randy, no. Countries on the list are subject to testing and quarantine. At no point is vax status mentioned, I’m afraid. 

Somebody on our Roll Call posted this, though I haven't seen anything official yet:

589. Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) Information in Italy
Aug 29, 2021, 3:05 AM

BREAKING NEWS:

VACCINATED PERSONS ARRIVING IN ITALY FROM CANADA, JAPAN AND THE UNITED STATES STARTING ON AUGUST 31 WILL NEED TO PRESENT A NEGATIVE COVID-19 TEST RESULT

The negative test result, which may be either a PCR or an antigen test, needs to be collected no more than 72 hours prior to ARRIVAL in Italy.

FULLY VACCINATED PERSONS WILL STILL NEED TO PROVIDE A NEGATIVE TEST RESULT.

The foregoing requirement applies to all persons who have stayed in or transited through Canada, Japan or the United States in the 14 days prior to entry into Italy.

The new restrictions remain valid through October 25.

OTHER CHANGES TO THE ITALIAN ENTRY REGULATIONS:

1. Persons arriving in Italy for ANY LIST "D" COUNTRY (including the United Kingdom) are exonerated from the 5-day self-isolation requirement provided that they are (i) fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine; (ii) present a negative PCR or antigen Covid-19 test result collected no more than 72 hours prior to ARRIVAL in Italy (in the case of the U.K., no more than 48 hours beforehand); and (iii) complete the digital passenger locator form.

2. The Entry Regulations for persons arriving in Italy from Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka and Brazil have also been tweeked.

https://www.trovanorme.salute.gov.it/norme/renderNormsanPdf?anno=2021&codLeg=82596&parte=1%20&serie=null

THE NEW ENTRY REGULATIONS REMAIN VALID THROUGH OCTOBER 25

Not surprised with this development if indeed it comes to pass.  I been saying on here for months now that it's not a good time to travel outside of one's home country.  Too many things can go wrong along the way.  

I do feel bad for the cruise lines.  It's so hard for them to plan anything.

So the EU is tightening down  but Italy is opening up. I need a spreadsheet to keep this straight. Best to everyone sailing across the pond in the upcoming weeks! On a good note, @DCGuy64 is an American sailing on MSC in Europe right now and is doing a live report on the MSC forum. He has not experienced any difficulties at all.

• Like 3