Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The Planning

I’m the travel planner in the family and I think I enjoy the planning as much as the cruise itself.   Being a technology geek I am constantly finding new gadgets and websites to enhance our cruise. 

This cruise was a bit more difficult to get booked as I had to figure out what FCC’s were still out there unused as well as working with my agent and Celebrity to get the free cruise and the open FCC’s  applied.  

Next up was planning the flights.    As many of you have seen the cost of flights have really increased and Flights by Celebrity don’t seem to have any deals, at least for our travel dates.    I finally found the flights that work with our schedule but had to settle for a return flights to SF to reduce the flight time and find a flight after noon.    I try not to book flights before noon on disembarkation day.  I ended up booking direct with the airlines as it was past final payment date when we booked and Flights by Celebrity charge a $200 fee for cancellations after final payment and the airline on a full fare ticket do not.

After booking the flight United made a change in flights with a connection time that concerned me so I rebooked out of SFO.    The good thing was the price had dropped and was able to get about a 25% refund.    The outbound flight ended up being an International Dreamliner with lay  flat seats in 1st class so should have plenty of social distancing. 

Hotel –

I was initially shocked by hotel prices when I first looked.    Embassy Suites, which is our go to hotel, was quoting $350 a night so I booked a refundable reservation Hilton Marina for 185.00.    I checked back a couple days later and found Embassy Suites dropped their rate to $158   so I cancelled the Marina and booked Embassy Suites.     In reality the hotel really isn’t that important to us as we usually don’t arrive from the West Coast until Midnight and then just get up and go to the ship in the morning. 

Thanks for always including information on your trip planning; I've learned a lot from posts like that.  I'm looking forward to reading about your trip; it's always a good read.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Stock Holder’s Credit

Many of you are also RCL stockholder and take advantage of their Stockholders Cruise Credit.

What is the benefit?
•    $250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights
•    $100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 13 nights
•    $50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less

I purchased 100 shares over 20 years ago and have more than covered my initial price of $11.00 a share and even with the drop in price the stock in now at $81.   They also use pay a nice dividend but suspended this with the pandemic.

You can either use a portal on line or send a form by Fax or Email.    This time I requested for both cruises using the portal and only had one applied.   It took me 3 more portal submissions before I finally submitted a form via e-mail and it was applied within 48 hours.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

In addition to the great travel tips, the photos are always  amazing!

Can't wait...

Geez.... I can only hope that I can live up to those accolades.   I love shooting photos but gave up on the bulky SLR camera and now live with my IPhone. 

2 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Thanks for always including information on your trip planning; I've learned a lot from posts like that.  I'm looking forward to reading about your trip; it's always a good read.  Enjoy!

I am constantly learning  new things here on CC.   What wealth of crowd knowledge and friendships.

• Like 1

Testing - By the way, Celebrity does accept the ID Now test at Walgreens (they've added this to their website).  We had our results in 30 minutes before we flew to St. Maarten for Summit two weeks ago.

I'm already excited to follow along, Jim!!!  Keep the posts coming!

57 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Testing - By the way, Celebrity does accept the ID Now test at Walgreens (they've added this to their website).  We had our results in 30 minutes before we flew to St. Maarten for Summit two weeks ago.

Another CC'er following along !! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

I wish Walgeen or CVS had it available in my area.  

One would think that living in the SF Bay Area with a population of 8 Million it would be easy to come by.    I've look a number of times and closes I could find was about 600 miles away.     With CVS I could schedule one but is in SF about 50 miles away. 

Jim. on your rollcall board you posted that currently, if you test positive during your cruise. X will fly you home "or at least to FLL". I understood the policy to be fly you to your home. I hope that perception is correct. If I test positive for covid,  i wouldn't be allowed to fly home from FLL. Can you clarify, please?

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I wish Walgeen or CVS had it available in my area.  

One would think that living in the SF Bay Area with a population of 8 Million it would be easy to come by.    I've look a number of times and closes I could find was about 600 miles away.     With CVS I could schedule one but is in SF about 50 miles away. 

When I looked, the nearest was Carson City, Nevada.  About 350 miles I think

1 minute ago, 39august said:

Jim. on your rollcall board you posted that currently, if you test positive during your cruise. X will fly you home "or at least to FLL". I understood the policy to be fly you to your home. I hope that perception is correct. If I test positive for covid,  i wouldn't be allowed to fly home from FLL. Can you clarify, please?

I was trying to find where i saw it posted.    I wouldn't expect them to fly us all the way back to California but would be OK to at least be on U.S. Soil.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Geez.... I can only hope that I can live up to those accolades.   I love shooting photos but gave up on the bulky SLR camera and now live with my IPhone. 

I am sure you will but of course the enjoyment of the cruise comes first!

We no longer use the old SLR with the lenses and filters...sometimes I take my little Sony along just for fun  but travelling lite is the new way to go!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

When I looked, the nearest was Carson City, Nevada.  About 350 miles I think

I found a Rapid Test site at $95 in Palo Alto -   CovidClinic.Org.   We got tested at 2:00 and just had our results in about 30 minutes.    It is a small little clinic with space for one car in the  drive through area but no lines at all.    

CVS has Rapid Test available at Sutter Hospital in SF (Mass Vaccination Site).

This is on the X website:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

Towards the bottom, under head "We've got you covered is this:

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Travelling Party.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

I am sure you will but of course the enjoyment of the cruise comes first!

We no longer use the old SLR with the lenses and filters...sometimes I take my little Sony along just for fun  but travelling lite is the new way to go!

I use to like my small little camera but the quality of the IPhone 12 Pro Max camera is very impressive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abbydancer said:

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Travelling Party.

Thanks Abby ---   I remember reading that and I though they used the word "Travel Home"  

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the recommendation.   I'm sure scuba is spectacular in Bonaire.

One of our favourite islands for scuba. Unfortunately, due to ages (mid-70s) and some medical issues, we are no longer diving. We now limit ourselves to snorkeling, but love all our time in and under the water.

4 minutes ago, 39august said:

Thanks wrk2cruise. That eases my concerns. Aren't you on the Sept. 26 cruise? That is our first of a b2b. 

No we are on the prior 2, will be getting off on the 26th.  Just tested negative today and packed the suitcases.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I found a Rapid Test site at $95 in Palo Alto -   CovidClinic.Org.   We got tested at 2:00 and just had our results in about 30 minutes.    It is a small little clinic with space for one car in the  drive through area but no lines at all.    

CVS has Rapid Test available at Sutter Hospital in SF (Mass Vaccination Site).

Same as us in the North bay. To get the rapid test actually have to go into the city. Not my cup of tea, not doing anymore investigation until 2 weeks prior to our sail date 10/29.  Can’t wait to follow along. United has changed my flight going to FLL twice, not real happy with them. My return trip is non stop in Polaris, very happy about that.

11 hours ago, abbydancer said:

How long will this be in effect? Heard it might ebd by tge tume of our cruise?

We are hoping to cruise in January 2022 on Reflection, rt  Port Port Ev, if all goes well. Driving to port from W Coast fl. Starting to look at enhanced trvl ins options.

Jim...did you buy any trvl ins from X or other company?