HAL in Grand Turk

stickey_mouse

You are correct. Unless you want a fabulous beach day with killer drinks, there's not much to do. Our 1st time we rented "the ride from hell scooters" and a "private driver, just for tips" to the lighthouse. There are lots of friendly donkeys and some horses roaming around. I bought a mask and a bracelet. 

Our 2nd time we stayed on board and I had a massage. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

You are correct. Unless you want a fabulous beach day with killer drinks, there's not much to do. Our 1st time we rented "the ride from hell scooters" and a "private driver, just for tips" to the lighthouse. There are lots of friendly donkeys and some horses roaming around. I bought a mask and a bracelet. 

Our 2nd time we stayed on board and I had a massage. 

Any beach in particular?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There is a pretty nice beach right as you get off the ship.  I don't see much of a reason to go any further.

Also good snorkeling from beach. Can snorkel within few hundred feet of ship and can see large fish in ship channel.

• Like 1

I used to see a lot of posts that sang the praises of spending the day at Jack's Shack.  There was a playful dog that had many fans here on CC until he crossed over the 'Rainbow Bridge.'  There is food and a bar and a private beach.  Many would spend the day there instead of Margaritaville.

Jack's  Shack is supposed to be in walking distance of the ship, halfway between the cruise center and Governor's Beach.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

We went for a long walk and found the town and locals.  Personally we weren’t thrilled with Grand Turk - but we are not beach people nor snorkellers much.

We like experiencing culture, history and the locals.  We accomplished that but it was a long walk.  A golf cart like @Live4cruisesdid would have been a wise idea 😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

We went for a long walk and found the town and locals.  Personally we weren’t thrilled with Grand Turk - but we are not beach people nor snorkellers much.

We like experiencing culture, history and the locals.  We accomplished that but it was a long walk.  A golf cart like @Live4cruisesdid would have been a wise idea 😉 

We rented scooters and the roads were terrible. Lots of gravel and rocky. Maybe a golf cart would be fun since Allen no longer has the balance. I'll check it out!

• Like 1

Walk to town past wild, glorious beaches, old salt pans, visit the charming oceanside hotel on the edge of town (dive center if so inclined), poke around the old town and visitors/history center - some great photo ops of rustic times past and crumbling architecture.  Those (ahem) "cropped" photos are rather remarkable memories of this place in retrospect - rusting iron work gates, bougainvillea in full bloom, stone walls and verdant pathways. 

Very low key, nice change of pace. Donkeys and John Glenn's early space capsule (replica?) plucked from the sea near Grand Turk, at the airport on the way into town plus the very unique "Turk's hat" cactus. 

Agree, renting the golf cart would be the way to go exploring more widely, little traffic -outside the port entrance there were many available. Nice to see a Caribbean island that is definitely not over-developed. (understatement)  Though it did have its share of a notorious past being on the drug trade route out of Columbia - probably still is. Take a taxi back to town.

Leave Grand Turk wondering, did you in fact see where Columbus actually made landfall in the alleged New World? Many spots make this claim, Grand Turk also one of them. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's not my favorite stop.  The Margaritaville complex doesn't interest me in the least.

The first four times I was there (on Carnival), I did the Horseback Ride & Swim.  Love it.  Better than the one on HMC, imo.  The ride up to the tip of the island gives you, basically, an island tour.  Depends on the driver how much information you get.  The trail ride portion is fairly dull.  They changed the route the last time I did this (it's been a few years) and started going up near the lighthouse.  The ride in the water is So Much Fun.  Yeah, that bareback pad on the horse isn't terribly comfortable, but once you're in the water and the horses and running/swimming, it's great.  Hang on, though!  And avoid the clumps of horse doodoo floating by, for sure.

After I did that excursion a few times, I started getting off the ship, going through the duty free shop, and turning right.  That area used to be quiet and had loungers you could drag into the shade.  Then they built a bar and now they have to blast bad music the entire time.

A lot of people walk down the beach to Jack's Shack.  Did that once and wasn't impressed.

Sort of hoping our December stop there doesn't happen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Now-Now...  some folks may have an awesome time snorkeling. The sea is filled with beauty. 

Now now not everyone snorkels.  There certainly are worse places to visit but there are also better ones.  The water is beautiful to look at, very turquoise blue and the sand white but you can pretty much see the entire Island from the ship. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

To the lighthouse and coast on the northern tip of the island of Grand Turk. Interesting story about the locals turning the light off until a ship founders and then stealing the cargo and enslaving the crew. Nice guys!

An island tour for a first time visitor is OK.  When I first visited, there was a Queen Conch Conservatory Institute on the island that was quite interesting if one is interested in environmental issues.  Whether that facility is still in operation or not, I don't know.  

• Like 2

My favorite spot is Bohio Dive Resort for an outdoor, beach-side lunch and a refreshing beverage.

It's quiet, away from town, never crowded, and a welcome escape from a busy ship. Plus the taxi drivers are happy to take you there, and return later to pick you up.  Everyone I've taken there for lunch and drinks loves it because it's not touristy, the food and service are good,  and the ocean view is fantastic.. Trip Advisor Travelers Choice Award in 2021.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147397-d595616-Reviews-Bohio_Dive_Resort-Cockburn_Town_Grand_Turk_Turks_and_Caicos.html

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Snarky people.. anyway

@NCTribeFan hope to see you aboard. We will be on Rotterdam 12-12 to Jan 16th. 2 more visits to Grand Turk for us 😉 Perhaps I can convince you to snorkel!! 

I can't swim.  I did snorkel once from a beach in Cozumel.  I enjoyed it but it's not something I feel compelled to do again.  I believe it's just plain silly to get out there is deep-ish water when I can't swim.  I have no plans to be one of those people who drowns while on an excursion!

I'm more inclined to get off the ship and wander around in places like Nassau and Freeport, which people seem to dislike more than most ports.  There's plenty to do and see in both ports.  I get off and walk the streets, stop and have a drink somewhere (that's NOT a chain restaurant/bar), use the wi-fi to check in at home (when I don't have it on the ship, and I often don't).

I'm really not much of a beach person, except for visiting HMC.  That's paradise, imho.  Probably not so great for snorkeling, though. 😄

• Like 1

We always enjoy Grand Turk, but then, we love the beach.  It’s been a while since we have been there, in the past we walked down the beach to the left of the ship to Jack’s Shack, much less crowded than near the pier.  To the right of the ship you find a small attraction about John Glenn’s splash down.  The pier area has the usual shopping and a nice Margaritaville complete with pool.  It’s a nice relaxing day for us.

• Like 2

We love Grand Turk also. It is an easy port as you are docked right there and can slip back to the ship quite easily if you need to. We are big on snorkeling, and have seen a lot of fish there swimming among the sunken cannons. Every time we have been there, the weather has been amazing. We have also snorkeled at Governor's Beach and explored the shops, but for us, seeing a Trunk Fish or a Parrot Fish (yup, we are Parrot Heads too) makes for an amazing day!

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 2

Thanks, everyone!

A few follow-up questions:

Is governor's beach as beautiful as the one right outside the ship? I assume it's much less busy? Is it too far to walk? 

Are the beaches farther upshore accessible via golf cart, if we rent one? 

This question is particularly silly: for all the snorkelers, do you bring your own equipment? I don't own any but would be willing to purchase some pre-trip. 

Thanks!