Update Oct 11th: Princess to have Mobile on-site Testing at a Cost...

LACruiser88

42 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

That is good to know about non pharmacy testing locations that don't accept insurance.  Didn't think about Medicare denying those claims.   As a pre planner, I have been checking for testing locations in Fort Lauderdale if testing is still required in Jan 2022.  So far found that the CVS with the walk-in  Minute Clinic seems to be the only one that would be free  if you can get an appointment.  Walgreens shows as a drive through site and with flying in - no car.  The locations at the FLL airport, and 3 Urgent Care clinics near the port  do not accept insurance - only cash or maybe credit cards. Their pricing ranges from $74 to $149.

Wishing you lots of luck with your testing.

While this is good news for US residents it's costly for international passengers. Testing seems to be so expensive in US compared to UK. For international passengers who cannot claim off health insurance $150 per person does seem a lot especially if you've already paid for tests for expensive transatlantic flights. In Northern Ireland (UK) where I live we can get a walk in supervised Antigen Test for £35 ($48) and PCR £59 ($80) per person. Unfortunately we will need to test in US again, prior to our forthcoming cruise in January 2022, as we arrive in California 5 days prior to our cruise. So unable to use our pre flight tests from our transatlantic flights. 

6 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I would assume that urgent care would cover the cost; glad that it worked out for you.  Our urgent care turnaround schedule wouldn't have worked for us.  I checked many options and finally decided to bite the bullet and pay for the tests.  Hopefully, this whole process will be a thing of the past one of these days.

I hear you on that hope! Our next sailing is 4/23/22, and I'm hoping it gets easier to get tested by then. I'm not of the opinion that the current protocols will be gone by then.

• Like 1

Just now, Sea Hag said:

I hear you on that hope! Our next sailing is 4/23/22, and I'm hoping it gets easier to get tested by then. I'm not of the opinion that the current protocols will be gone by then.

We will be doing a B2B (Vancouver to Vancouver) with a 3 day pre-cruise in Vancouver.  So, it will cost us heavily as we will need a PCR get into Canada and then a Rapid Antigen for the cruise.  UGH!

• Like 1

In California there is no charge for testing and is available for any reason as the purpose is to help suppress the spread of the virus. See https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/ for information and to find a testing site. At that site there is a a GIS map of the testing locations and who provides them.
The services they refer to perform PCR tests and have the results in 48 hours or less.

It is easiest to use the search capability of the GIS map on a larger format device than a mobile phone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

My My $300 per couple   a nice rip off imo 

However it is a last resort and better than being denied boarding. DW and I tested at Kaiser back in June for a trip to Hawaii. My test came back in 36 hours, nothing for DW. We paid $130 for a rapid test at airport the day before flying and it was worth is for peace of mind. Kaiser test came through at 10:00 pm, 6:00 am flight next day so would have been OK and within the 72 hours at the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

However it is a last resort and better than being denied boarding. DW and I tested at Kaiser back in June for a trip to Hawaii. My test came back in 36 hours, nothing for DW. We paid $130 for a rapid test at airport the day before flying and it was worth is for peace of mind. Kaiser test came through at 10:00 pm, 6:00 am flight next day so would have been OK and within the 72 hours at the time.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

In California there is no charge for testing and is available for any reason as the purpose is to help suppress the spread of the virus. See https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/ for information and to find a testing site. At that site there is a a GIS map of the testing locations and who provides them.
The services they refer to perform PCR tests and have the results in 48 hours or less.

It is easiest to use the search capability of the GIS map on a larger format device than a mobile phone.

And here lies the rub.  I've had to test before flying to Hawaii under the 72 hour limit.  Test results have always showed up before my departure.  BUT, BUT, BUT...you have to take into consideration when the PCR sample is picked up.  Where it is sent to be processed.  Labs "require" a 24 hour turn around time.  2 days for a regular PCR test is very risky unless they are done in-house (as in Walmart/Quest partnership).  

For now, I will locate and pay for a rapid antigen test (cheaper than a rapid PCR/NAAT test) just to get on a ship.  I just don't understand why CVS has dropped their 12 day appointment schedule for rapid antigen tests.  That worked really well and averted a lot of stress.  

Like the Medallion Class App, this too will pass.  It is something we have to live with, for now.

• Like 1

If you have a Walgreen’s, they do free antigen tests, results in an hour or so. They schedule 2 days out, so I got online this morning to schedule a Thursday test. Ordering a 3-pack of home tests from Optum is my backup. If you fly into LAX, they offer antigen tests for $80 at the airport, and rapid PCR for more money—the LAX website shows where and how to schedule.  So those are 3 options to avoid boarding delays and stress from port testing, or issues if you test positive, including mandatory quarantine.

The Norwegian Bliss will be sailing out of San Pedro in a few weeks, and they’ll need plenty of testing infrastructure for their free port testing for all passengers, with 100% passenger vaccination and zero mask requirements on board. Navigator of the Seas will also be sailing twice a week from San Pedro starting in Nov. and will offer port testing, so if a Princess ship sails on the same day as other ships it could make testing even more chaotic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

For now, I will locate and pay for a rapid antigen test (cheaper than a rapid PCR/NAAT test) just to get on a ship.  I just don't understand why CVS has dropped their 12 day appointment schedule for rapid antigen tests.  That worked really well and averted a lot of stress.  

Like the Medallion Class App, this too will pass.  It is something we have to live with, for now.

FYI -- Here in San Diego, CVS is back accepting appointments for antigen tests...

You might have read in the last couple of weeks about the self-home tests sold nationwide through pharmacies being re-called because of false-positive results, well CVS got caught up in the re-call with their supply of tests, and had to stop scheduling appointments because of lack of tests. They apparently have acquired a new supply, and restarted the minute-site testing here in San Diego

I have an appointment tomorrow morning for my free test at a local CVS for my Friday cruise.. Saved the $90.00 for the test I scheduled at a local clinic 🙂

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I chose not to pay when testing should be free!  I tried earnestly to find a rapid antigen test.  I live in Southern California and was unsuccessful in finding one.  I could have gone to Las Vegas or Yuma, AZ ..... LOL No way!  I opted for CVS PCR 1-2 day test.  I took it early this morning and keeping fingers crossed.  If I get denied boarding because the results were not in time, next time (November)  I will drive the 20 some miles and try Kaiser.  The CVS is 2 miles from home and both said the same about timing of results.

13 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

@srpilo  If you found a rapid antigen test at CVS, good for you.  None up here in Orange County/Long Beach area even into greater LA AFIK.

Keep checking everyday, for at lease 10 days here it went from appointments available everyday to ZERO anywhere in the county overnight, then on Monday morning this week appointments were suddenly available again all over the city 

So as supply becomes wide spread again it should open up to more and more cities... Keep checking

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

I chose not to pay when testing should be free!  I tried earnestly to find a rapid antigen test.  I live in Southern California and was unsuccessful in finding one.  I could have gone to Las Vegas or Yuma, AZ ..... LOL No way!  I opted for CVS PCR 1-2 day test.  I took it early this morning and keeping fingers crossed.  If I get denied boarding because the results were not in time, next time (November)  I will drive the 20 some miles and try Kaiser.  The CVS is 2 miles from home and both said the same about timing of results.

Check out Hoag Hospital parking lot in Irvine. Plenty of Rapid tests open for tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

If you have a Walgreen’s, they do free antigen tests, results in an hour or so. They schedule 2 days out, so I got online this morning to schedule a Thursday test. Ordering a 3-pack of home tests from Optum is my backup. If you fly into LAX, they offer antigen tests for $80 at the airport, and rapid PCR for more money—the LAX website shows where and how to schedule.  So those are 3 options to avoid boarding delays and stress from port testing, or issues if you test positive, including mandatory quarantine.

The Norwegian Bliss will be sailing out of San Pedro in a few weeks, and they’ll need plenty of testing infrastructure for their free port testing for all passengers, with 100% passenger vaccination and zero mask requirements on board. Navigator of the Seas will also be sailing twice a week from San Pedro starting in Nov. and will offer port testing, so if a Princess ship sails on the same day as other ships it could make testing even more chaotic. 

I live in San Francisco & no Walgreens do the test here. I would have to drive somewhere else to get the Walgreens test. Here’s what they say….Test results for travel purposes cannot be guaranteed in time for travel.  There is a CVS here that will provide the results in 45 minutes & they told me that I could just walk in but I will make an appointment. Kaiser is going to test me but won’t guarantee how soon. I’ll get the results.  

Tom😀

We got our tests at Walgreens here in Vancouver, WA today.  I got on the app Sunday morning to book and there were lots of appointments. The website did say that they only do the rapid antigen test if you have a risk of exposure or symptoms, but I figure with the amount of unmasked people working out at our gym, I could truthfully say that we were exposed to someone who was sick but not tested positive for COVID.  No ID NOW in Vancouver, and I didn't want to drive to Portland, and didn't want to chance it with PCR.

Many good ideas came out in this thread.  Thank You.

MY EXPERIENCE: I stuck with my CVS 1-2 day PCR test appointment at 9:30 AM Tuesday.  I arrived about 5 minutes early and drive-thru test was completed easily.  Negative results were received in approx 25 1/5 hours from test completion.  Email came from Quest Lab, but results also found on CVS' My Chart Page.  I am ready to board the Grand for a nice getaway.

Edited by hpeabody
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

MY EXPERIENCE: I stuck with my CVS 1-2 day PCR test appointment at 9:30 AM Tuesday.  I arrived about 5 minutes early and drive-thru test was completed easily.  Negative results were received in approx 25 1/5 hours from test completion.  Email came from Quest Lab, but results also found on CVS' My Chart Page.  I am ready to board the Grand for a nice getaway.

That's great news. Mine is 10:00am Sat. for a Monday cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

Thank you for the specifics.  I think I might take the plunge to use the PCR test at CVS.  I used the rapid antigen at CVS for my 1st short cruise but was hesitant to book another cruise because there was no availability for rapid antigen test at CVS in my area, southern CA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebeluga said:

Thank you for the specifics.  I think I might take the plunge to use the PCR test at CVS.  I used the rapid antigen at CVS for my 1st short cruise but was hesitant to book another cruise because there was no availability for rapid antigen test at CVS in my area, southern CA.

I am in SoCal too. Yup, no rapid tests available in these parts. I went to the CVS South St Lakewood location, but I imagine they use a common Quest lab.  Big relief now that results are done.  Appointments become available 14 days out, so try to get on website that exact day.  Good luck to you.

Edited by hpeabody
  • Thanks 1

@hpeabody I passed that CVS three times today.   I am glad you had such a positive result.  I am not as trustworthy.  I will pay a $25 administration fee from a site 14 miles away to get a rapid antigen test.  Still hoping Buena Park CVS will once again have rapid tests between now and when I need it.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@hpeabody I passed that CVS three times today.   I am glad you had such a positive result.  I am not as trustworthy.  I will pay a $25 administration fee from a site 14 miles away to get a rapid antigen test.  Still hoping Buena Park CVS will once again have rapid tests between now and when I need it.

We must not live far from each other.  I get do it all over again in about a month for Majestic cruise, Oh fun!

1 minute ago, hpeabody said:

We must not live far from each other.  I get do it all over again in about a month for Majestic cruise, Oh fun

It's not worth the stress.  I've had two CVS covid tests (rapid antigen/rapid PCR).  Both were returned within the hour.  Nice.  This time, I am going with SameDay Health....It is worth the extra $25 cost.  Several of my friends have used it to get on the Majestic.  

And yes, I think we must be fairly close to each other in California measures.