Make sure you have a COVID test backup plan

Oletruckdude

Just a reminder to everyone. Make sure you have a COVID test backup plan.

We were scheduled to get our rapid COVID tests this morning at CVS. One hour before testing we received text messages that our tests were cancelled and the facility was temporarily closed.

Luckily we had backup tests scheduled for a few hours later at another CVS and all went well. 

Don't schedule backups at the same facility in case it gets closed!

Good luck too all. We'll be on the Magic Sunday!

Regards!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, Oletruckdude said:

We were scheduled to get our rapid COVID tests this morning at CVS. One hour before testing we received text messages that our tests were cancelled and the facility was temporarily closed.

Luckily we had backup tests scheduled for a few hours later at another CVS and all went well. 

Regards!

Great advice, we will do as you suggest!

I've had mixed feelings about taking up a scarce testing slot that I don't intend to use, but that is exactly what I did for our cruise last month, two different CVS locations on two subsequent days.  (I figured leaving nearly a full day between them would allow enough time to cancel the backup so someone else could have a chance at it).  As it turns out my backup time slot got cancelled a couple of days ahead of time.  

43 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I've had mixed feelings about taking up a scarce testing slot that I don't intend to use, but that is exactly what I did for our cruise last month, two different CVS locations on two subsequent days.  (I figured leaving nearly a full day between them would allow enough time to cancel the backup so someone else could have a chance at it).  As it turns out my backup time slot got cancelled a couple of days ahead of time.  

Which is exactly what we did. Then we cancelled the backups as soon as we got our results. 

• Like 2

I scheduled CVS 13 days ahead of time.  In the mean time, I read some of the issues posted by others so I ordered the emed for online as a backup.  I received a test reminder yesterday from CVS so I felt good about being able to get tested today.

I arrived at CVS 15 minutes early today and was the only car in the test parking area.  I was greeted in less than a minute and completed the sampling procedures in just a couple of minutes.  My test result (NEGATIVE!!) was available once I got home after making a stop; maybe 30 minutes.

I feel a little guilty having the emed test kits now in case there ends up being a shortage any time soon.  I will probably keep them though in case I jump on another cruise deal within the next couple of months.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, day-day said:

I scheduled CVS 13 days ahead of time.  In the mean time, I read some of the issues posted by others so I ordered the emed for online as a backup.  I received a test reminder yesterday from CVS so I felt good about being able to get tested today.

I arrived at CVS 15 minutes early today and was the only car in the test parking area.  I was greeted in less than a minute and completed the sampling procedures in just a couple of minutes.  My test result (NEGATIVE!!) was available once I got home after making a stop; maybe 30 minutes.

I feel a little guilty having the emed test kits now in case there ends up being a shortage any time soon.  I will probably keep them though in case I jump on another cruise deal within the next couple of months.

Please don't feel guilty; you paid for them and they're yours. And you never know - I hope this doesn't happen but you may need to use them before your cruise for other purposes. 

• Like 2

That’s why I scheduled five people, to get five Covid test at Walgreens first. And then later in the day I had CVS scheduled for the same five people. But I never needed them, because I had the results back from the Walgreens Covid tests within one hour of taking the tests. 

• Like 1

We booked both CVS and Walgreens. We did CVS first. It was a crap show. We sat there for over two hours and the person administering the test couldn’t get her act together. The following day, we did Walgreens. Pulled up right to the window, self tested, and we were on our way in 10-15 minutes. 

The Walgreens results came in before the CVS results even though we’d done CVS first. Is it obvious that our experience with CVS sucked? 

But yes, I do agree about getting two tests. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 11:58 AM, pinniped71 said:

Was the Walgreens Rapid test the ID NOW?  Is this accepted by CCL?  We have Rapid antigen  tests scheduled for next Sat for Monday sailing at CVS.  Reading this makes me want a back up appointment.  

Yes it is accepted by Carnival. Just got off the Dream today and two of our group of 5 used this test and it drew no more scrutiny than the monitored self tests during embarkation. We just printed the results out and also kept PDF files on our phones as a backup. I had my results back in about an hour when I did mine at Walgreens.

On 10/15/2021 at 1:38 PM, Oletruckdude said:

Regards!

Hmm, when I tried to schedule a second test at a different CVS near me the same day, their system wouldn't let me schedule two tests on the same day.  😮  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 2:09 PM, stellarose said:

hence I bought the home tests...

Christmas Eve can be dicey....

We need to test Xmas eve too. Did you order tests already? It sounds like from the previous post that most of the test shipping right now expire December 21. So I was hesitant to order them

I’ve noticed a few on here saying they made 2 appts at different CVS’s for the rapid test in case one was cancelled. When I called CVS they said the system wouldn’t allow a 2nd test scheduled if you already have one. Can anyone respond how this is possible?  

7 minutes ago, Lalory777 said:

I’ve noticed a few on here saying they made 2 appts at different CVS’s for the rapid test in case one was cancelled. When I called CVS they said the system wouldn’t allow a 2nd test scheduled if you already have one. Can anyone respond how this is possible?  

I had the same experience trying to book a second round of tests at CVS.  The site asked me if I wanted to cancel the previous appointments.  I booked with Wal Mart and cancelled after the CVS tests came back negative.  This was for a cruise beginning of Sept and we had 3 days to test, not just 2 like it is now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lucyjlou said:

We need to test Xmas eve too. Did you order tests already? It sounds like from the previous post that most of the test shipping right now expire December 21. So I was hesitant to order them

I have a Jan 13, 2022 cruise and I am unsure when to order at home tests.  What date should I order them?  TIA!

On 10/15/2021 at 6:37 PM, Tapi said:

The following day, we did Walgreens. Pulled up right to the window, self tested, and we were on our way in 10-15 minutes. 

The Walgreens results came in before the CVS results even though we’d done CVS first. Is it obvious that our experience with CVS sucked? 

Glad Walgreens worked out for you.  We live in a state where CVS doesn't offer rapid tests.  The Walgreens locations in our area stay packed with people getting tested. Anyone know how much rapid tests cost out of pocket?  Our insurance doesn't cover them.  I think I read somewhere that they are $200/each?  Just wondering so that we are prepared.  May also consider the home test once I have some time to research the online how to videos.  An unfamiliar process can be daunting! 😵

Public Service Announcement - I live in a very small town.  The closest facility like a CVS or Walgreens that can provide rapid testing prior to cruise is about 4 hours away.  I arranged with my local medical clinic to have a rapid test done two days prior to boarding (October 29th).  Today I called to confirm my appointment for next Thursday and was informed that they will not be able to accommodate me due to a shortage in supply of tests.  As such, they are not testing for "Travel" to insure they have enough supply on hand for those requiring it for medical procedures.

Fortunately, I can order a telemedicine test to arrive in time to take it on Thursday, but had I not called to confirm, I would have really been in a bind. 

I share this so that those who may be in a similar situation can plan accordingly to just proceed with pre-ordering a telemedicine Covid test in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While the medical clinic's position is understandable, it seems they should have notified you that they couldn't give you the test. Though they are no doubt overworked like almost every other medical facility these days, and I can see such a notification as being the thing that doesn't get done when they have patients to care for.

Good thought for you to confirm.

• Like 1