All cruises to Key West changed to another port?

Cinerama

Our 11/4 cruise to Key West was changed to Nassau. I cancelled it because of the change. Now I'm seeing other cruises (11/6, 11/30, 12/4) to Key West are also changed to another port. There are others leaving on 11/22, 11/27, 12/11, 12/27, 1/3, 1/8, 1/22, 2/14, 3/28, etc. that still have Key West on the itinerary  https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-search?portsOfCall=EYW . When I contacted Celebrity they just say the changes will be done as needed. I'm hesitant to book one these cruises as I don't know which ones if not all will be changed to another port. 

• Like 1

From the Key West Port Director:

"Because of the possible regulations that will limited passengers numbers both on ships and getting off ships most ships are not scheduling Key West at this time. The regulations were approved by referendum but then the Governor stepped in and said communities could not impose restrictions by referendums. However I believe ships are not willing at this time to risk their reputation and come into Key West when their passenger numbers go against the passed referendum limitations."

• Like 3

I have a separate thread on my NYE cruise that had been modified much more drastically and then put back to something pretty close to the original itinerary, but in short, yes Key West has been replaced, likely by Nassau in most cases.

From Palmetto, you could drive down to Ft Myers Beach and take the 3.5 hr ferry to Key West.  We did it many years ago and it was one of our all-time favorite mini vacations.  Stayed two nights in Key West at a B&B.  Absolutely loved the ferry rides!

• Like 1

Our Dec 16 summit sailing had Key West dropped ☹️, and Nassau was put in.   Then about 10 days later we got switched from Nassau to Costa May.   Now our 5 night goes to Cozumel and Costa Maya instead of Cozumel and Key West.   Definitely disappointing..

42 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

From Palmetto, you could drive down to Ft Myers Beach and take the 3.5 hr ferry to Key West.  We did it many years ago and it was one of our all-time favorite mini vacations.  Stayed two nights in Key West at a B&B.  Absolutely loved the ferry rides!

I've done this too- actually a few times. Spent 3 nights down there. Was a fantastic way to go to Key West

45 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Yeah I thought about that. The ferry is about $300 for the two of us plus cheap motel for one night around $200 plus food, drinks, etc. maybe $700? Then, I found a MSC five night cruise for $750 that included the alcohol package, tips and WIFI. But, shortly later all cruises on that ship were cancelled. So, I booked the 11/4 cruise on the Summit but, a few days later that was changed from Key West to Nassau. So, I will have the FCC from Celebrity for the 11/4 cruise and waiting to see if any of the Celebrity cruises will still be going. Probably wait for a few days before a cruise leaves and hope it doesn't change. 

It's a shame that cruises are still not stopping here, even though it is (at least for now) clearly legal for them to do so.  I could go on and on with my thoughts about this, but that wouldn't be appropriate.  I will say that I think the Key West residents were very happy with so many people vacationing there during the pandemic due to the very loose (if any) restrictions that were being placed on visitors.  Money was pouring in.  Once things get closer to 'normal' and travelers start to once again choose other options I have to think they may be regretting their attempt to prevent cruise visitors.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The Summit leaving 11/22 isn't going to Key West. It's Costa Maya and Cozumel.

I think this is a nice itinerary.  There is a great resort owned by U.S. ex-pats called Maya Chan.  You can get a reasonably-priced, all inclusive day pass and use their facilities.  The food is excellent, drinks are excellent, service is first-rate, and grounds are pretty nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cinerama said:

Yeah I thought about that. The ferry is about $300 for the two of us plus cheap motel for one night around $200 plus food, drinks, etc. maybe $700? Then, I found a MSC five night cruise for $750 that included the alcohol package, tips and WIFI. But, shortly later all cruises on that ship were cancelled. So, I booked the 11/4 cruise on the Summit but, a few days later that was changed from Key West to Nassau. So, I will have the FCC from Celebrity for the 11/4 cruise and waiting to see if any of the Celebrity cruises will still be going. Probably wait for a few days before a cruise leaves and hope it doesn't change. 

It may be a while before ships can go to key west.  This past April I did a day trip in Key West, booked two nights in Key Largo which was all in $100/night on hotwire; Key Largo is a two hour scenic drive to Key West.

1 hour ago, mattie123 said:

Love Maya Chan!!  But before booking be sure Celebrity is allowing on your own excursions.  

Unfortunately, they dropped Costa Maya from our Edge cruise next week, Had to cancel Maya Chan.

8 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Over the years we've found it best not to book a cruise because of any one port.  :classic_cool:

Just so. If a port is that important, then do a land visit instead.  There are all kinds of things that can cause a port to be dropped from an itinerary, even after embarkation. 

The kerfuffle in Key West over cruise ships has been going on since before the pandemic, and despite whatshisname's best efforts, it's not over yet. And the cruise lines will be reluctant to get in the middle of this spat between municipality and state. 

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

We were just notified today (Oct 25) that our seven night Nov 27 cruise on Apex will not be stopping at either Key West or Grand Cayman. Instead Apex will add Costa Maya and add a sea day. We are really disappointed about Key West, but I had doubts all along our ship would really stop there. Grand Cayman took me by surprise though.