QM2 USA

BigMac1953

On 11/4/2021 at 6:19 AM, BigMac1953 said:

We're on board QE at the moment.

Just heard from a member of staff that Cunard are quitting Red Hook and intend to use a little known port in NJ., miles from anywhere.

Seems a strange move, but no doubt cheaper.

Stewart

I just called Cunard about this as I have clients booked on TA in April 2022 and Cunard said this is not true and they are not moving port to Cape Liberty.

• Thanks 1

It has been a few years since we’ve sailed from Port Liberty — but I recall it was a real hassle being picked up by car service. There was very limited space and less co-ordination.  It may be a good port to drive to yourself, but the worst we’ve experienced when being dropped off/picked up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I recall it was a real hassle being picked up by car service.

There's a very funny YouTube video about someone who took an Uber from Newark International to Port Liberty. His driver got lost two or three times en route.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Can't understand why crew members would dream this up

Agreed. I think the situation might be that all of the documents haven't been finalized, and until then the party line is that Brooklyn is the port.

I worked for a Philadelphia family-owned department store. They had made an arrangement of sale to a California company. They scheduled a press conference to announce the sale, but then discovered that they forgot to take into allowance the time change in California, where the announcement was to be made at the same time. So they had to invite the press into a briefing to say 'The chain is not for sale'. Then hours later announce that it was!

• Like 1

Cruisemapper is not a reliable source, as it shows all cruises from NYC coming and going from Cape Liberty port. It currently shows the Crystal Symphony on their ‘Cape Liberty’ schedule as being docked Nov 5 in New Jersey. It’s not. It’s docked at the Manhatten cruise terminal.  Here’s a deck webcam from today. I also called Cunard myself this morning, and yes, they’ve heard the NJ rumour, and it wrong. The QM2 is scheduled to dock Nov 20, 2021 at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

D853703D-0111-4341-8774-1A9FFD0FD7E1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, artyhues said:

I also called Cunard myself this morning, and yes, they’ve heard the NJ rumour, and it wrong.  The QM2 is scheduled to dock Nov 20, 2021 at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

If Cunard did indeed say that, I *am* worried since we dock on December 20th.  😀

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, frankp01 said:

Here's a very good video on the embarkation experience at Cape Liberty (note: it IS Cape Liberty. I keep calling PORT Liberty for some reason). As I suspected, there's no shuttle bus involved. It's very similar to Brooklyn.

Frank,

Many thanks for taking the time to find this video. Now I know what Port Liberty looks like now. It's been sometime since people described it to me. But I must admit not being silly or petty, WOW there is a lot of walking then Brooklyn. Really a lot of walking. Really upgrade from last word.

Now I know what it looks like. The last building at the end of the pier is the past Military Terminal that at 2001 my DW was transported to after the 9-11 attack from Lower Manhattan.

But the Terminal Building is quite impressive in it's setup. But again lot of walking. I know the video was fast forward also.

Once again, thank you......

Thank you all for verifying this situation today. It really stirred up conversation on the board.

Though we all would like to sail down the Hudson, Brooklyn is a nice alternative. Brooklyn Terminal gets us on board to enjoy the ship. 

Hopefully this topic is resolved and all will be properly directed on their future sailing now booked.

BonVoyage To All.....

I enjoyed Brooklyn- the nice ferry ride to Pier 11 Wall Street was a Highlight on my back to back cruise Soto- NY- Soto. ( QM2)

Also docked on the westside piers ( Pier 88 ) once on board the Infinity-  that also was very conveniend.

NJ would be a bit of a bummer, when doing a BTB.

I am booked on QM2 in March - NY to Hamburg- so for that voyage I would be okay with NJ.

Glad to read, that the change is only temporary - if there is a change at all.

Thanks for the video- it brought back nice memories of a Silhouette cruise out of Cape Liberty.

• Like 1

Since we have 2 days in NY before we have to disembark, being stuck in an industrial port in Newark seems like punishment for those of us who want to have fun in NYC.  I hope this turns out to be not true.

I wonder how much before the first sailing of the QM2 will Cunard let the passengers know what port to go to.  The passengers that are flying into LGA or JFK need to book some type of transportation to the port whether it is to Brooklyn or Cape Liberty before too long.  I hope someone will let us know as soon as they get confirmation as to the port.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, shippmates said:

I wonder how much before the first sailing of the QM2 will Cunard let the passengers know what port to go to.  The passengers that are flying into LGA or JFK need to book some type of transportation to the port whether it is to Brooklyn or Cape Liberty before too long.  I hope someone will let us know as soon as they get confirmation as to the port.  

That is the point I was addressing from my initial posting.

We are 10 months to go before you all that are ahead of us, you have my sympathy with prior plans needed to be arranged. They have a obligation to allow you all to feel relax and prepared towards your journey to a wonderful vacation and adventure.

We only live as I have said 12 minutes from the Brooklyn Pier and when something challenges us before leaving it disturbs us. I can imagine coming from a distance how disruptive it can.

2 hours ago, shippmates said:

The terminal is usually listed on the e-tickets.

image.png.a1ce3ba8afd97b230856d06d3af130d4.png

In the past, e-tickets have been issued about 40-45 days before departure. We are past that timeframe for the December 13th crossing to New York. Perhaps someone on that crossing  can let us know if e-tickets have been issued. If so, perhaps they can also confirm what is listed on their e-tickets for their disembarkation terminal in New York.

On one occasion, our original e-tickets simply stated "Terminal to be confirmed" for New York until closer to departure when they were updated to list "Brooklyn Cruise Terminal", but that was unusual.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The terminal is usually listed on the e-tickets.

In the past, e-tickets have been issued about 40-45 days before departure. We are past that timeframe for the December 13th crossing to New York. Perhaps someone on that crossing  can let us know if e-tickets have been issued. If so, perhaps they can also confirm what is listed on their e-tickets for their disembarkation terminal in New York.

Just checked and as of now e-tickets are not yet available. Will advise as soon as they are and what it says in regard to arrival port in NY.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Just checked and as of now e-tickets are not yet available. Will advise as soon as they are and what it says in regard to arrival port in NY.

I can confirm this. Our balance is fully paid, so I thought the eTickets might be available. "Check In" generates an "Opening soon" message and Print e-Tickets returns "Not Available".

Interesting development.  Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne was fully developed by Royal Caribbean, for use of their Royal Caribbean, Azamara, and Celebrity brands (Azamara has now been sold).  So I'm assuming Cunard is leasing the space from them.  Red Hook was of course developed by Carnival Corp. for use of the Princess and Cunard brands.  Odd it's not being used.  I'll have to look at some Princess schedules and see what port in NY they are using.  If they are using Red Hook, that would be even more odd that Cunard isn't using it.  

Personally whether it be Red Hook or Cape Liberty, both are substandard to Manhattan's West Side terminals.  I loved when QM2 docked there her first year of service.  What a treat! 

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, eroller said:

Personally whether it be Red Hook or Cape Liberty, both are substandard to Manhattan's West Side terminals.  I loved when QM2 docked there her first year of service.  What a treat! 

Agreed -- just doesn't seem like a proper TA unless the ship sails/arrives at the West Side piers!  No elegant procession up and down the Hudson.  <sigh>  

• Like 1