Alaska Sampler May 1, 2023 - Questions

Wave61

Just happened to come across this cruise and am seriously considering it.  We have only cruised on Carnival so have lots of research to do on the Grand Princess.  This has been on our bucket list and while I realize this will only be a 'taste' it fits our budget and time frame since we have some years left to go before retirement.

Being from Canada, there are so many restrictions and very difficult to arrange all the testing timelines.  This one might actually be doable being that it's 2023 and it sails out of Vancouver and back.

I am considering either a balcony or premium ocean view.  Would we get use out of a balcony in May?

What side of the ship would be best?

Is this particular cruise out of Vancouver and back a regular itinerary?

Any recommendations on best deck for a balcony cabin would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

We sailed on the Grand out of San Francisco in late May 2019 to Alaska.

I've never sailed on Princess, but I'd consider Princess to be more of a "calm" ship over Carnival. Definitely skews older - I was 32 when on the ship and was probably one of the youngest passengers.

I would honestly recommend another itinerary though. Typical itineraries to Alaska (that aren't a "one-way") include Skagway/Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Juneau and Victoria (if sailing out of the US) as well as a "scenic cruising day" to Glacier Bay or one of the fjords.

These are the excursions we did at each port - you can weigh if it's worth a longer cruise for you but, if I were you, I'd do a 7 day with the inclusion of Skagway and Glacier Bay/a fjord.

Skagway - White Pass Railway - you take a train slightly into interior Alaska, very scenic
Ketchikan - hike into the rainforest
Juneau - whale watching and glacier hike tour
Victoria - we just walked around Victoria

One other perk of the Grand vs all of the other Princess ships:

On the Lido deck, there are oceanview cabins with floor to ceiling windows. On any other ship, these are balcony cabins but on the Grand, the interior of the cabin is extended to what would be the end of the balcony and covered with floor to ceiling windows.

We *loved* this cabin. You do get some noise from the exterior door, but you get the benefit of the balcony without the chill (especially that early in the season) and if you do want to go outside, you're 25 steps from the exterior deck/Slice/Salty Dog.

One other note: I've only sailed NCL other than Princess, but, for "cultural" cruises (think Panama Canal, Alaska) we've always been impressed with Princess's programs around that - they have a North to Alaska program and bring on sled dog puppies (might not now due to COVID), a naturalist and other people to talk about what to expect to see.

I would not bother to book this cruise because it doesn't give you a glacier viewing experience. The times in port are also pretty scant. 

We got a lucky upgrade to a cabin with a balcony on one cruise. It was nice to have, but not something I'm willing to pay a lot extra for. Since it's a roundtrip cruise, the side of the ship won't matter. 

The 5-day itinerary is not offered except at the very beginning or end of the cruise season. 

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

A ‘taste’ is right!  On this cruise, you spend a total of 12 hours on land!  Not much time to experience Alaska.

Not a cruise I would book even though I know the prices look good.  My suggestion to to book at least a 7 day cruise that visits Glacier Bay for a taste of Alaska.  An Alaskan cruise is all about the ports, not the ship in my opinion.  Book an itinerary that maximizes time at the different ports so you will be able to get away from the ship for some truly exceptional experiences.

I’ve cruised to Alaska in balconies as well as inside cabins.  I liked liked the balcony but it is usually too cold for me to fully enjoy the cabin.  Book an inside cabin instead of a balcony (especially so early in May) and use the savings to book excursions.  Excursions in Alaska are pretty pricey!

2 hours ago, bronzey214 said:

One other perk of the Grand vs all of the other Princess ships:

On the Lido deck, there are oceanview cabins with floor to ceiling windows. On any other ship, these are balcony cabins but on the Grand, the interior of the cabin is extended to what would be the end of the balcony and covered with floor to ceiling windows.

The Grand is also one of only 2 (?) ships still in service that have Window Suites on the Fiesta deck.

You would have the opportunity to see a glacier (Mendenhall) at Juneau.  f this is a taster and fits your budget and schedule, do it.  Side of the ship doesn't matter because there is scenery both sides, and you retrace your steps/route coming back.  Balconies are not necessary for everyone.  Grand has a wraparound promenade deck, better for moving quickly when the captain/naturalist announces wildlife spotted...or the opposite side of the ship...  EM

If it fits your budget, I recommend doing it.  Truth is, all the cruises are just a taste.  I lived in Alaska for 4 years and what we got from a cruise was just the tip of the iceberg...no pun intended.  🙂  See how you like it...get an idea of what you can experience...and then save up for a combo land & sea trip.  That will truly give you a better taste of Alaska.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wave61 said:

Just happened to come across this cruise and am seriously considering it.  We have only cruised on Carnival so have lots of research to do on the Grand Princess.  This has been on our bucket list and while I realize this will only be a 'taste' it fits our budget and time frame since we have some years left to go before retirement.

Being from Canada, there are so many restrictions and very difficult to arrange all the testing timelines.  This one might actually be doable being that it's 2023 and it sails out of Vancouver and back.

I am considering either a balcony or premium ocean view.  Would we get use out of a balcony in May?

Any recommendations on best deck for a balcony cabin would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

I say anytime spent in the most beautiful state of Alaska will be worth the cost in time and budget.  If your budget allows for a balcony, Alaska is one place I recommend the splurge.  And those unique premium oceanview cabins (I am assuming you are referring to those on the Lido deck) are a great choice if I balcony does not fit into your travel budget.  Another thing about those cabins is that you are just steps away from the outside decks, coffee, pizza, movies under the stars, cocktails, burgers, etc.  Either side of the ship will be perfect as the scenery surrounds the ship.  If you do get a balcony, I highly recommend the Caribe deck.  The balconies are all half covered and are huge.  We've gone to Alaska in May a few times, one time it was so nice, we wore shorts and tshirts, another time, it very chilly and once, it was quite rainy.  We take clothing for the cooler temps so we always get use of a balcony when we have one ... period!  The nice thing about the balcony cabins is all of them are at least half covered so you can duck out of the rain and still enjoy being outside.  

This itinerary is barely a taste... it is more of a millisecond snapshot. As you can see by my signature, we have cruised Alaska 4 times and will be doing a 12 night in Sept. 2022 from Vancouver.

And yes, we always book a balcony; a larger balcony and aft. We DO use our balcony as you never know when you will enjoy a pod of whales. We are from the Northwest, and it is not too chilly for us. One time, we pulled out of Ketchikan and it was 76 degrees and sunny! Of course, that is not always the case.

8 hours ago, Wave61 said:

Thanks!

You did a really good job if detailing your needs.  I will try to point out a few of your concerns.

If this is on your bucket list and budget, go for it, even though it is only a sampler cruise.  You will have plenty of time to repeat a longer cruise in the future.

Anything can change before 2023.  A round trip out of Canada is shorter, therefore, a day sailing the glaciers is not possible.

For this itinerary, the Grand will do a Vancouver round trip.  On a longer sailing, she will do a one way passage from Vancouver to Anchorage/Whittier and another one in reverse.  This would mean flying into or out of an American city.

If you are able to afford a balcony, then you will enjoy scenic views from you stateroom.  BUT....do not remain there all day.  Get out and walk the promenade.  Walk the Lido Deck.  There are no premium ocean views on the Grand but nice large ocean views on Lido Deck forward.  It is an inside passage, so motion should not be too much of a concern.  Caribe deck has the largest balconies. My next choice would be Aloha Deck aft.  Steps up to Lido Deck but be careful not to be under major traffic areas (Think high 700s).

I would book 2023 now in a balcony.  You can always cancel if the deposit if refundable.  You can also cancel if the restrictions are lifted and you can do a one way (including Glacier Bay) and fly in/out of an American port.

I love the Grand (and Grand class ships).  Not a fan of the Royal Class ships.

My suggestion is to get an interior cabin and use the saving to book a full 7-day Alaska cruise. No point going to Alaska without seeing the glacier at least once. The icefield is constantly shrinking and may no longer be around one day due to ongoing global warming threat.

8 hours ago, sfaaa said:

My suggestion is to get an interior cabin and use the saving to book a full 7-day Alaska cruise. No point going to Alaska without seeing the glacier at least once. The icefield is constantly shrinking and may no longer be around one day due to ongoing global warming threat.

Current projections for the Ice Fields to disappear are somewhere around 2200 so they likely have time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The samplers seem to be short cruises in May and September to line up the days for the 7-day sailings they do the rest of the summer. If you've done Carnival, you might find Princess a little too dull for you, with an older crowd without the Carnival emphasis on 'fun'. I've gone on the Norwegian Joy, which has a go-kart track, Beatles tribute band, and Broadway shoes, and this September I went on the Ovation of the Seas from Seattle, which had a skydiving simulator and amazing shows. So I'd watch some videos of different ships, although all are going to be 7-night cruises, but Norwegian and Royal Caribbean offer great last-minute deals. Going out of Seattle is easy, with train and bus service to Vancouver, and the bonus of Seattle is that the larger ships that don't fit under the Lion's Gate Bridge go out of there.

The bonus of the sampler cruise is that it looks to go up and back on the inside of Vancouver Island, whereas a lot of the other ships go out on the west side of the island. If you want just to enjoy the scenery and perhaps stop off in a few ports, check out the Alaskan State Ferry, which goes from Bellingham to Ketchikan and then many other little towns from there, ones that cruise ships don't visit.