Why is RCCI ship (maybe Grandeur OTS) moored since early morning off St Martin?

TrinaLC

Title pretty much says it all. There are two RCI ships in port (St Martin’s). And one moored off island (well beyond tendering). It has been there at least five hours (since 7 a.m. this morning if not longer.  

Anyone know the story?  I thought I’d see something posted here on CC but didn’t see anything …

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

It's Rhapsody.  Our cruise on her coming up in February out of Tampa was cancelled months ago.  

Guessing she is in "storage".  

Thanks, I’m sure you must be right. I don’t know why that never occurred to us!

🙂

22 minutes ago, island lady said:

It's Rhapsody.  Our cruise on her coming up in February out of Tampa was cancelled months ago.  

Guessing she is in "storage".  

Yup. She might have ventured out once or twice but been there for many months. Vision was with her for most the time. During shutdown everyday would take peak at Port Cams and would see both docked at St Martin Pier. Had get my fix. Funny thing is 18 months ago Brilliance was spending weeks in Tampa and would see a Crew Member living/sleeping in my Aft Cabin on weeks I was to be on her. Was even able see them make our Bed at 7am each day. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yup. She might have ventured out once or twice but been there for many months. Vision was with her for most the time. During shutdown everyday would take peak at Port Cams and would see both docked at St Martin Pier. Had get my fix. Funny thing is 18 months ago Brilliance was spending weeks in Tampa and would see a Crew Member living/sleeping in my Aft Cabin on weeks I was to be on her. Was even able see them make our Bed at 7am each day. 

Great story!  

We had an NCL ship for a few months during early COVID days in North Charleston SC. Saw her every day, which was cool because NCL doesn’t port in Charleston (and nobody ports in North Charleston). Evidently some repairs were being done (and AFAIK that is pretty much a one-off since that is certainly not a regular activity in the Charleston area for cruise ships). 

• Like 1

I was on Coco Cay during a 9/19 Oasis cruise. I saw Rhapsody docking. I asked an RCI employee since they were not scheduled on the port guide. He said that they were there to disembark workers on contracts with ships arriving in Coco Cay. He also said they were picking up workers who were being transferred or going home.

A crew shuttle.

44 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I think the proper term is warm layup.🙂

Yes. If completely shut down, then it would be "cold iron" waiting to restart.

If ship is out of commission but not scrapped, it would be "moth-balled"

(USN terms anyway)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Yes. If completely shut down, then it would be "cold iron" waiting to restart.

If ship is out of commission but not scrapped, it would be "moth-balled"

(USN terms anyway)

Mother In-Laws house smelled like Mothballs, she was out of Commission but but not scrapped yet... But yeah, wish had been around 70+ yrs ago see all the US Navy Moth-balled Fleets from WW2. Did spend some time touring multiple Active US Ships in the 80's

Visit Philadelphia, or if driving through on I-95, look towards the Delaware as you cross the Schuylkill River. 

Image for 6 Reasons to Plan a Visit to Philly's Navy Yard  article

See the ships

Is your child obsessed with ships? The Navy Yard is one of three Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facilities owned by the US Navy, where inactive ships are docked until further instruction. Walk along the side-walked perimeter of the Yard to discover multiple decommissioned ships, including aircraft carriers USS John F. Kennedy and USS Forrestal! Or, head straight to the Reserve Basin and make a game of counting the number of naval ships in the bay.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Grandeur was in St M today unless I misread her name

The one that was moored outbound...once again...was Rhapsody.   Grandeur is on the move, maybe this will help you.  

https://www.marinevesseltraffic.com/vessels/GRANDEUR-OF-THE-SEAS/CURRENT-POSITION/9102978/311315000

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

Brings to mind the navy “ghost ships” on the James River (Virginia)…

https://www.pilotonline.com/history/article_778167b3-6da4-5a3d-8cd2-60638c4bc86c.html

Live on the newport news peninsula ~james river and have many fond memories of evening sailings by the fleet. And yes we told ghost stories to the kids. It has been sad watching the fleet diminish over the years. We are still able to show our grandkids the few that remain. Thanks for the story

13 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Visit Philadelphia, or if driving through on I-95, look towards the Delaware as you cross the Schuylkill River. 

Image for 6 Reasons to Plan a Visit to Philly's Navy Yard  article

See the ships

Is your child obsessed with ships? The Navy Yard is one of three Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facilities owned by the US Navy, where inactive ships are docked until further instruction. Walk along the side-walked perimeter of the Yard to discover multiple decommissioned ships, including aircraft carriers USS John F. Kennedy and USS Forrestal! Or, head straight to the Reserve Basin and make a game of counting the number of naval ships in the bay.

That must have been a few years ago, the Forrestal was towed to be scrapped in 2014, I served on her sister ship USS Saratoga. Both were scrapped in Brownsville, Tx. The JFK is also slated to be scrapped.

32 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bought a small pair of Steiners with case, years ago in St. Thomas (when we still docked at Havensight).   Been great size for traveling.  Small but powerful!  🙂 

Optics are a great example of you get what you pay for.  Steiner is a good brand 🙂