Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

10 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

Could this be because there is also less testing?

The UK figures are calculated using sampling methodologies,  the actual number of tests being carried  out  is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Spreading to whom?  The vaccinated?  The unvaccinated?  If others are concerned about someone else spreading covid to them, they should be wearing an N95 from the moment they step outside their home regardless of their vaccination status.  And if they are unvaxxed, I'd say they are not too concerned.

The virus is here to stay.  The vaccines and therapeutics are working and I place my trust in them to keep me safe, not other people.

Anyone waiting for zero cases is going to have a long wait. 

So are you advocating that we all just spread it around in the hope that those who think they might be vulnerable take precautions?  Isn't that rather selfish? I guess you are happy to have people coughing on you at close quarters or on the buffet food on the grounds that 'we should just live with it?'  If not what is your point?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fjord4Fun said:

So are you advocating that we all just spread it around in the hope that those who think they might be vulnerable take precautions?  Isn't that rather selfish? I guess you are happy to have people coughing on you at close quarters or on the buffet food on the grounds that 'we should just live with it?'  If not what is your point?

Did I say I was advocating we all just spread it around?  No.  But since you seem to miss my point, I'll restate it:

"If others are concerned about someone else spreading covid to them, they should be wearing an N95 from the moment they step outside their home regardless of their vaccination status.  And if they are unvaxxed, I'd say they are not too concerned.

The virus is here to stay.  The vaccines and therapeutics are working and I place my trust in them to keep me safe, not other people."

What will you advocate during the annual flu season?  Will it be that we all wear a mask so that we don't " just spread it around in the hope that those who think they might be vulnerable take precautions?"

I am vaxxed and double boosted and wear a mask when required.  I do not, however, feel compelled to wear a mask in the virtue signaling guise of protecting others.  Let them wear a mask to protect themselves.

• Like 5

Has anyone used On Point for the video portion with the free tests from the government for Princess cruises?  Princess policy says the telehealth provider has to be affiliated with the maker of the test.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, doth55 said:

Has anyone used On Point for the video portion with the free tests from the government for Princess cruises?  Princess policy says the telehealth provider has to be affiliated with the maker of the test.

It kinda looks like they are affiliated with the free government tests as they sell them.

20220731_153844.thumb.jpg.2f46752aa9ed9b1e50985bb5ed5476db.jpg

FWIW it's $14.99 if I use one of the boxes in the cupboard

Waiting to hear if anyone's used them

• Like 1

It still says this on the website from Southampton sailings:  

It clearly states FROM Laboratory or Healthcare provider…as I read it.

What is acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test result?

The following formats are acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test: paper COVID-19 test results (original only, no photocopies accepted), digital or emailed COVID-19 test results or record of COVID-19 testing from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification or personal electronic health record.

The negative COVID-19 test result must include:

• Where the test was administered, including name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test
  • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  • A specimen collection date within the necessary time frame before cruise departure
  • Guest’s name and either date of birth, age or passport number
  • A negative test result using words or phrases including: 
    • Negative
    • Undetectable
    • SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected
    • SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected
    • COVID-19 not detected
    • Not reactive

Test results marked “invalid” are not accepted.

On 7/31/2022 at 10:10 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Did I say I was advocating we all just spread it around?  No.  But since you seem to miss my point, I'll restate it:

"If others are concerned about someone else spreading covid to them, they should be wearing an N95 from the moment they step outside their home regardless of their vaccination status.  And if they are unvaxxed, I'd say they are not too concerned.

The virus is here to stay.  The vaccines and therapeutics are working and I place my trust in them to keep me safe, not other people."

What will you advocate during the annual flu season?  Will it be that we all wear a mask so that we don't " just spread it around in the hope that those who think they might be vulnerable take precautions?"

I am vaxxed and double boosted and wear a mask when required.  I do not, however, feel compelled to wear a mask in the virtue signaling guise of protecting others.  Let them wear a mask to protect themselves.

Not to belabor the point (which I guess I am doing anyway), but the mask I wear is to protect others, not myself.  Masks provide very little, if any protection, to the wearer.  However, I would rather someone sneeze into the inside of their own mask than on the outside of mine, which won't help me much at all.  People seem to miss that point.  There is plenty of anecdotal evidence from people who wore masks constantly on a ship yet still caught covid (and the same will happen with the flu, norovirus, etc.).  The best defense is just personal diligence in hand washing (this goes the same for flu and norovirus).  But, as a secondary risk reducer I wear a mask and stay away from those who choose not to wear one. Having just returned from a month long train and cruise vacation without catching covid (or anything else),  I can attest to my methods being effective for me.  

Having said all that, I will maintain that my biggest worry with cruising is not catching covid, but in failing the covid test.  And so I take those precautions because I had to take a test in the middle of my month long vacation to get on a cruise ship.  And I have to take another test in a week and a half to get on another ship.  And halfway thru that cruise I have to take another test to be able to get off the ship in Bermuda.

Edited by WEGL81
spelling error
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is what I don't understand about the entire COVID issue:  If you believe that the vaccine and boosters along with a mask, help to protect yourself, that is what you should do; If you believe that the vaccines, boosters and masks also help protect others from you, why wouldn't you do what helps others?  Now, that said, if you are vaccinated, boosted and masked, and come upon a non-masked person, well, that is their choice and hopefully they won't get the virus or spread it.  

As far as testing prior to embarkation, if testing stops one person, if testing alerts a person to them having the virus, then testing has just worked and just maybe, helped prevent someone else from getting it, so why not test?

I have said right from the beginning of this virus, I am so very disappointed in those who are tasked with the responsibility to protect the American population, for not putting their collective butts in a conference room or laboratory and finding a solution to this issue.  We have become so obsessed with so many side issues, that common sense, urgency and protecting one another has fallen to the bottom of the list.

Please do what you feel is right for yourself but keep in mind that we can also help each other at the same time.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Here is what I don't understand about the entire COVID issue:  If you believe that the vaccine and boosters along with a mask, help to protect yourself, that is what you should do; If you believe that the vaccines, boosters and masks also help protect others from you, why wouldn't you do what helps others?  Now, that said, if you are vaccinated, boosted and masked, and come upon a non-masked person, well, that is their choice and hopefully they won't get the virus or spread it.  

As far as testing prior to embarkation, if testing stops one person, if testing alerts a person to them having the virus, then testing has just worked and just maybe, helped prevent someone else from getting it, so why not test?

I have said right from the beginning of this virus, I am so very disappointed in those who are tasked with the responsibility to protect the American population, for not putting their collective butts in a conference room or laboratory and finding a solution to this issue.  We have become so obsessed with so many side issues, that common sense, urgency and protecting one another has fallen to the bottom of the list.

Please do what you feel is right for yourself but keep in mind that we can also help each other at the same time.

What are your thoughts on the seasonal flu?  It kills 30-50 thousand Americans every year.  Do you plan to wear a mask to protect others then?

Just curious about people's perceptions now that covid is mutating into a less deadly form and will continue to do so.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

What are your thoughts on the seasonal flu?  It kills 30-50 thousand Americans every year.  Do you plan to wear a mask to protect others then?

Just curious about people's perceptions now that covid is mutating into a less deadly form and will continue to do so.  

The flu season 2021-2022 that just ended shows 5,000-14,000 deaths.

Covid in 2021 shows 386,000 deaths and that’s just the US. So, it’s not the same. But, you are correct in 2022 it has gone lower in deaths for covid. These are CDC figures.

The reason, they state the flu deaths were much lower, is because a lot of folks were masking.  We would mask if we had the flu and isolate until we were no longer contagious. Probably wouldn’t want to go anywhere anyway.  I certainly would not to pass it on to anyone.

I pray it will continue to get lower for deaths with both the flu and covid. And that another more deadly variant does not surface.

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Well, my thoughts are if I were to be diagnosed with the flu, I wouldn't be getting on a cruise ship for fear of spreading it to my family and or others.  If traveling to and from a doctor's office, yes, I would and have used a mask.

Not knowing your qualifications for making the statement, "now that covid is mutating into a less deadly form and will continue to do so", I will only say that I hope you are right and that this happens very soon.

• Like 2

FWIW, I spoke to my PVP earlier this afternoon and asked if she had heard of any changes coming up to the testing policy.  She indicated that they had been told that the current policy will remain in effect through September but there are likely to be revisions after that.  She didn't know what exactly, ie short cruises, longer cruises or whatever.  But it seemed from her wording that they had been told that changes are in the works, but that Princess is playing it safe and taking its time.  

I've read that pier testing in Southampton is being cut back.  We were counting on it as we're disembarking from a Celebrity ship the same day we embark a Princess ship.  Is it still available?   If so, do we book ahead?  How?  If not, we will try to find something in Southampton.   Lloyd's doesn't offer it on that particular day (September 30),  but I believe there's a regenerative clinic in the shopping centre that does.  TIA for information. 

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

The flu season 2021-2022 that just ended shows 5,000-14,000 deaths.

Covid in 2021 shows 386,000 deaths and that’s just the US. So, it’s not the same. But, you are correct in 2022 it has gone lower in deaths for covid. These are CDC figures.

The reason, they state the flu deaths were much lower, is because a lot of folks were masking.  We would mask if we had the flu and isolate until we were no longer contagious. Probably wouldn’t want to go anywhere anyway.  I certainly would not to pass it on to anyone.

I pray it will continue to get lower for deaths with both the flu and covid. And that another more deadly variant does not surface.

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that.

CDC estimates that flu has resulted in 9 million – 41 million illnesses, 140,000 – 710,000 hospitalizations and 12,000 – 52,000 deaths annually  between 2010 and 2020.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

CDC estimates that flu has resulted in 9 million – 41 million illnesses, 140,000 – 710,000 hospitalizations and 12,000 – 52,000 deaths annually  between 2010 and 2020.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Yes, prior to covid. The results I showed were 2021-2022 flu season and covid in 2021. 

But, you are correct in that it does continue to be less deadly than the other variants.  Will it continue that way?  Sure hope so.

11 hours ago, WEGL81 said:

Not to belabor the point (which I guess I am doing anyway), but the mask I wear is to protect others, not myself.  Masks provide very little, if any protection, to the wearer.  However, I would rather someone sneeze into the inside of their own mask than on the outside of mine, which won't help me much at all.  People seem to miss that point.  There is plenty of anecdotal evidence from people who wore masks constantly on a ship yet still caught covid (and the same will happen with the flu, norovirus, etc.).  The best defense is just personal diligence in hand washing (this goes the same for flu and norovirus).  But, as a secondary risk reducer I wear a mask and stay away from those who choose not to wear one. Having just returned from a month long train and cruise vacation without catching covid (or anything else),  I can attest to my methods being effective for me.  

Having said all that, I will maintain that my biggest worry with cruising is not catching covid, but in failing the covid test.  And so I take those precautions because I had to take a test in the middle of my month long vacation to get on a cruise ship.  And I have to take another test in a week and a half to get on another ship.  And halfway thru that cruise I have to take another test to be able to get off the ship in Bermuda.

You should do whatever you are comfortable with.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 5:19 PM, Steelers36 said:

Princess provides these tests.  Many postings have been made about these.  There is much less testing done now for B2B's than many months ago.  They might drop all of the tests by October - who knows?

Thank you very much.  Just the information I was looking for. 🙂

3 hours ago, stamford57 said:

Does anybody have experience of being within the 90 days post covid and going to the port at Southampton with a recovery letter? 

I think with all the new covid variants going around you will still need to test... as you might have had covid and recovered, but you might get it again - albeit a new variant

3 hours ago, stamford57 said:

Does anybody have experience of being within the 90 days post covid and going to the port at Southampton with a recovery letter? 

No need  for a recovery letter - just a negative test result.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stamford57 said:

A positive test result no more than 90 days ago at least 10 days after the result, should be what you need. This does result in additional screening, so if you can just get a negative antigen test, that would be easier....

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months from the date of their cruise departure or cruisetour departure (whichever starts first) do not need to take a viral test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19.

Documentation of recovery consists of the following:

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago) or
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal, and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion. Guests who are unable to provide documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements must take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

No need  for a recovery letter - just a negative test result.

Apparently PCR can give a false positive I.E. detecting fragments of the virus. Hence the need for a letter, at least in US.