Walking off the ship right after boarding?

jnicktem

I will be leaving out of Port Canaveral next Saturday and will be meeting family on the ship. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can leave the ship to assist a family member once they arrive at the port? Or are you pretty much stuck on the ship once you board?

17 minutes ago, jnicktem said:

I will be leaving out of Port Canaveral next Saturday and will be meeting family on the ship. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can leave the ship to assist a family member once they arrive at the port? Or are you pretty much stuck on the ship once you board?

Let’s hope you’re stuck on the ship (assuming there’s an embarkation Covid test). If that relative tests positive and you’ve assisted them, you may find yourself SOL. Have the relative call the cruise line and arrange for boarding assistance.

• Like 4

I left once but it wasn’t planned. I left something important in my car and went back for it. It’s very awkward trying to get off a ship when a crowd of people are trying to get on. I had to fight my way through going against the grain all the way out of the building. The ramp was the worst. Then trying to get back on when you’ve already been on. I wouldn’t want to have to do it again. I’d adjust your arrival time if you need to help someone board later.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 4

Guest BasicSailor
9 hours ago, jnicktem said:

As others have commented, yes, I've done it a few times in the past with no problems. Forgot something or helped a friend with their luggage. But I can't say how that will work during covid times.

They could ask you to retest before boarding. Enjoy your cruise.

9 hours ago, jnicktem said:

There is always wheelchair assistance available at the terminal.

You will definitely be going against the tide of people coming onto the ship to try and get off. It's really just going to come down to if they have a security line set up to scan you off. I would think it would be far easier to coordinate arrival times and simply help your family member when you both are boarding.

• Like 1

From John Heald's FB this morning:

Name: V----
Message: Read that Carnival has a rule that if a passenger checks in and goes on the ship that they cannot get off again to spend time in a port like Galveston. We want to check in, drop our bags off in the room because we can being platinum. We want to get off and spend time in Galveston doing some shopping. I am told on---------that this is not possible. Why should we be trapped on board?! I wager I am not the only pax who wants to have this option. SMH as to why Carnival refuses us this option.
------------
Thanks “ V” and thank you for your loyalty. Honestly I do not think we do refuse you and if you need to go back ashore you can. Just make sure you have your sail and sign card and your photo ID with you as this will need to be shown as you get off the ship and then coming back through the terminal. You also need to make sure you ask what time the doors of the terminal will be closed as you not want to be late back so do check that time. But if you wish you can do so but I do not think many will wish to do this because once on board you can relax and allow the crew to serve and entertain you.
But as usual I may be wrong so let me ask you this.
In one of our North American home ports have you ever checked in and then gone back ashore?
Cheers

Can you?  Yes.  Should you?  Debatable.

I agree with others to either wait for your family members to arrive before boarding or ensure that they know how to access wheelchair assistance.  Staff members are very helpful with luggage and everything else necessary when someone needs it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Let’s hope you’re stuck on the ship (assuming there’s an embarkation Covid test). If that relative tests positive and you’ve assisted them, you may find yourself SOL. Have the relative call the cruise line and arrange for boarding assistance.

Excellent advice. Please have your relative reach out as I did to the Special Needs Department for boarding assistance .

26 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Can you?  Yes.  Should you?  Debatable.

I agree with others to either wait for your family members to arrive before boarding or ensure that they know how to access wheelchair assistance.  Staff members are very helpful with luggage and everything else necessary when someone needs it.

I personally board and do not disembark on embarkation day. Also Customs  and Immigration may prohibit this due to you already being processed to exit the USA. 

Edited by travelplus

2 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

As others have commented, yes, I've done it a few times in the past with no problems. Forgot something or helped a friend with their luggage. But I can't say how that will work during covid times.

There is no testing at the terminal for vaccinated travellers so I'm confused why you would say they may make you retest.

You would just show the same antigen testing, done 2 days ahead of time, whether you board once, or more then once.

• Like 2

While Carnival corporate may allow passengers to embark, drop off luggage then leave the ship for a short period of time on embarkation day, there may be a different policy at the terminal.  Before Covid passengers had much more freedom to come and go.  Shoreside policies, as well as the ship's policies were more accommodating.  Now, I would think that unless you have a truly legitimate reason to leave the ship on embarkation day, you will be told that you need to stay onboard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yankeegirl49 said:

From John Heald's FB this morning:

Name: V----
Message: Read that Carnival has a rule that if a passenger checks in and goes on the ship that they cannot get off again to spend time in a port like Galveston. We want to check in, drop our bags off in the room because we can being platinum. We want to get off and spend time in Galveston doing some shopping. I am told on---------that this is not possible. Why should we be trapped on board?! I wager I am not the only pax who wants to have this option. SMH as to why Carnival refuses us this option.
------------
Thanks “ V” and thank you for your loyalty. Honestly I do not think we do refuse you and if you need to go back ashore you can. Just make sure you have your sail and sign card and your photo ID with you as this will need to be shown as you get off the ship and then coming back through the terminal. You also need to make sure you ask what time the doors of the terminal will be closed as you not want to be late back so do check that time. But if you wish you can do so but I do not think many will wish to do this because once on board you can relax and allow the crew to serve and entertain you.
But as usual I may be wrong so let me ask you this.
In one of our North American home ports have you ever checked in and then gone back ashore?
Cheers

But notice the "wiggle words"?  JH never says "no problems to leave and reboard" because terminal staff aren't Carnival employees.

We were able to do that years ago in San Juan when the Carnival ship had a late departure time. That, however, was well before Covid. Also it was a small ship, Fascination, so there was not so much going against the grain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Just curious. Why would they have to re-test? You have to have a negative test within 2 days of your embarkation day. Just because you get on and back off does not change the result of the test you took two days ago. It would still be within the requirement window. 

• Like 1

Have the relative call the cruise line and arrange for boarding assistance.

THIS...

If you do choose to get off after boarding, make sure your S & S card was issued to you when you boarded and not put in your mail box at cabin location.  You will need to use it getting off and back on as previously mentioned since you will be officially counted as a boarded passenger on the manifest by then.  

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 hours ago, K_e_short said:

There is no testing at the terminal for vaccinated travellers so I'm confused why you would say they may make you retest.

You would just show the same antigen testing, done 2 days ahead of time, whether you board once, or more then once.

You never know with covid changing the cruising rules daily.

Edited by BasicSailor