Arcadia being sold?

Port out

10 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Arcadia is sailing Tyne - Southampton on 24 Jan where she arrives 26 Jan and departs on 3 February. She is due to be going to dry dock, returning on 21st March. She is then alongside until her first cruise on 27 March. 

Looking at the amount of time she is away for dry dock, she may also be going via Belfast as this has been used as a option for crew embarkation as its been easier to run charter flights to Northern Ireland.

As for the crew, Omicron has caused crew shortages across the existing fleet. Its not a surprise that crew are being redeployed to ships already in service. There is still time to bring additional crew across from their homelands.

All in all, this doesn't (currently) have legs.

Sounds positive, so hope it is. Thank you molecrochip

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Arcadia is sailing Tyne - Southampton on 24 Jan where she arrives 26 Jan and departs on 3 February. She is due to be going to dry dock, returning on 21st March. She is then alongside until her first cruise on 27 March. 

Looking at the amount of time she is away for dry dock, she may also be going via Belfast as this has been used as a option for crew embarkation as its been easier to run charter flights to Northern Ireland.

As for the crew, Omicron has caused crew shortages across the existing fleet. Its not a surprise that crew are being redeployed to ships already in service. There is still time to bring additional crew across from their homelands.

All in all, this doesn't (currently) have legs.

Thank you for the clarification. 

Are you aware of any internal refurbishment works being carried out, either whilst she has been docked in the North East,  or to be done prior to March 27th ?

18 hours ago, Zombatar said:

Back in 2016 we went on Adonia and it was great. So great that we booked another cruise for the next year.

Rumours started to spread that P&O were going to sell her and I mentioned that on here. I was immediately slapped down being told not be ridiculous as P&O wouldn't take bookings on a ship they were going to sell. Needless to say they cancelled all the bookings with little or no apology.

Adonia now sails for Azamara. I wouldn't be the least surprised that Arcadia is to be sold and I hope that all those already booked are not as surprised and hurt as we were.

Peter

My wife and I lost two cruises when Adonia was sold. What really peed us off was that we had no communication from P&O regarding the sale whatsoever - we only found out second hand via social media. We received a full refund plus £100 pp per cruise compensation. Of course, the prices of cruises with similar itineraries on ships like Aurora and Oriana immediately rocketed, thus negating the £100 compensation.

Bob

Edited by LondonLad60
To correct spelling error

18 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Adonia is now Azamara Journey, but quest is also an old R ship and will be very similar.

No, she is now Azamara Pursuit. We have been on her as that, but also as Minerva II and Adonia.  Must say we did not like the cruise style of her in P&O, particularly the fixed dining and the self service was only open four nights out if 17.  We also spent a lot of time wandering about the ship with drinks in hand trying to find a quiet place to sit, as there always seemed to be quizzes or other "entertainments" starting in the various bars.  The other guises were/are lovely quiet ships with peaceful bars.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

We have a couple of cruises booked on Aurora (16 and 28 nights).  What is the problem with her balconies, which some people have mentioned?  We are booked in a superior deluxe balcony for the 28 night Caribbean.

4 minutes ago, tring said:

We have a couple of cruises booked on Aurora (16 and 28 nights).  What is the problem with her balconies, which some people have mentioned?  We are booked in a superior deluxe balcony for the 28 night Caribbean.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with Aurora’s balconies.
B deck ones are bigger and with a better vista, but A and C deck ones are perfectly acceptable. I would agree that they are not as big as some of Azura’s balconies tho!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tring said:

ROttThe t
YTALTY-FREE STOCK PHOTO
P&O Aurora Cruise Ship

TghThe superior delux cabins have the glass frontage
Edited by Gettingwarmer

23 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:
ROttThe t
YTALTY-FREE STOCK PHOTO
P&O Aurora Cruise Ship

TghThe superior delux cabins have the glass frontage

Thanks, I remember that difference from when we booked now.  We liked both Oceana and Oriana, but did not like Arcadia, though we were not in balconies for cruises on those ships.  We did not like Arcadia, but again were not in a balcony and felt the ship was quite closed in.

Edited by tring

Not really sure where to post this,  but this seems as good a place as any !

Many of us prefer the smaller ships, and may be considering Saga (we have already booked with them for September)

Fot those of you considering "jumping ship" from P&O, there is a 'live' blog from Spirit of Adventure on the Saga forum, with lots of excellent pictures.  Worth popping over for a read.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

B deck ones are bigger and with a better vista, but A and C deck ones are perfectly acceptable. I would agree that they are not as big as some of Azura’s balconies tho!

They were being compared with Arcadia  and even the de luxe B deck balconies do not compare favourably with any of the Arcadia balconies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

I also remember when booking the Eastern Seaboard of N. America cruise for Sept just gone, we decided the extra metal which surrounded the standard balconies would perhaps give a bit extra protection from winds on a cruise which would spend a lot of time in cooler weather conditions.  Never found out if that held out though......   

In fact we have re booked that cruise for Sept 2023, but have gone for an inside cabin at this stage, so we do not have to spend much, in case we decided to transfer to something else if we feel there may be problems in the ports on that route, but are thinking we may try to upgrade nearer the time.  We have had to change a one month cruise previously because of family commitments (MIL relocating to a care home near us from the south and was not going to be diplomatic to disappear for a month 2-3 weeks later).  With P&O's normal T&C's we had to change to a cruise which was the same price or more, which was not easy to find at a reasonable price.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

I like the balconies very much on Aurora  - the ones we have had are very private as they have wrap around sides and ceiling  - so enclosed from neighbours.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

They were being compared with Arcadia  and even the de luxe B deck balconies do not compare favourably with any of the Arcadia balconies.

I’ve only been on Arcadia twice and to be honest it was so long ago, I cannot even remember the balconies on there….. whereas I’ve always enjoyed and remembered the Aurora balconies (and have been on her over 20 times!).

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The Saga ships look good, but the prices are eye-watering.  Even if they throw in free pick ups etc.  It's still way more than P&O

I agree totally, Saga prices are incredibly high.  The transfers are no good to us as we are over the distance when they normally do a private transfer (I know covid is different), but we also would have no intention of leaving home in the early hours of the morning, much preferring to take our time travelling down in our own car at leisure, when we can stop off as we want and have a relaxing night in a hotel pre-cruise.  I think all their departures are still from the south as well as not having the sort of interesting itineraries which they used to offer with the much smaller ships.  The insurance is useless to us as well as we travel so much that we would still want an annual travel insurance policy. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 2:15 PM, Port out said:

Just had confirmation from an Indian waiter that the boys due to join Arcadia shortly have been told they won't be but it would appear that are joining other ships which is good news for them. 

Conformation? From an Indian waiter? Get a grip.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We’ve only been on one cruise on Arcadia and we had a suite which was lovely (if a bit dated), although having been on all the P&O ships (other than Iona, which we will rectify next year), it was our least favourite ship.

When we did a ships tour prior to booking that cruise it seemed as though the accessible balcony cabins were all at the point where the recessed section along the side of the ship starts or finishes, resulting in odd shaped angled balconies with poor outlooks from within the cabin. By contrast, having stayed in pretty much all the accessible balcony cabins on Aurora we have been very happy with the outlook from all of them and, being very wide, the part enclosed ends suited us for privacy and shelter (as others have said). Did we miss something on Arcadia?

32 minutes ago, cockneyjock said:

Conformation? From an Indian waiter? Get a grip.

Now now don't be like that, my third cousin twice removed great aunt overheard the crew talking about iceberg's that was laughed off, strangely we never heard from them since, I believe they was on a maiden voyage, what was the name of that ship ?

• Haha 11

3 hours ago, tring said:

The balcony we had on Aurora was metal fronted with two iron railings above it, not the glass fronted type we've had on Arcadia, and it felt quite cramped. Don't always book balconies as quite happy with an inside depending on the length and destination of cruise as we mostly get showered/changed and sleep in them and spend the majority of our time out and about or sat on deck . I am aware there are differing types pf balcony on Aurora but this was what we got on that particular cruise

• Like 1