BACK TO BACK FIRST LEG CANCELED

BEACHBARB

HELP!!!!

We were booked on a back to back on the Joy 1/22 and 1/29.  Now the 1/22 is canceled but the 1/29 is scheduled to sail.  We don't want a one week cruise  We booked for 2 weeks and now only have the option for 1 week.  What are out options?  Our "NCL insurance tells me via phone call that not wanting to go for just one week of a two week cruise isn't covered.  Great.   We are booked in a 2 bedroom Haven for 3.  Not inexpensive,  Getting partial credit or anything similar isn't going to work for us.  And an FCC only good thru 12/31/2022 isn't good either.  Options?  You friends know the whats up so let me know.  We're desperate !!!!!!!

Pre-covid I had a b2b "modified" - first leg cancelled, dates of 2nd leg  changed.  They did a lift and drop to another ship with a similar itinerary for passengers on the cancelled cruise, which of course created an issue for me.  For those affected by the date change (my second leg) we were given a few alternatives but nothing matching my original itinerary and I wasn't interested.

I contacted Katty Byrd, customer services and was able to negotiate a different cruise - so they were willing to work one on one. Figure out what you think would be reasonable and ask.  

Sadly, after all the negotiations, covid cancelled everything anyway😪

• Like 1

i agree with the recommendation in post #3. reach out and negotiate on an individualized basis.

the single biggest factor you have going for you here may be the fact that you're booked in the haven. and for haven guests, even those that have not yet boarded, they can probably bend the rules. reach out to katty bird, as recommended, but you also might want to send a note to the haven pre-cruise concierge desk, who may be able to forward your inquiry or see that it gets the time sensitive attention it needs.

• Like 1

You should be able to get cash back for 1/22 cruise, since they canceled.  understand if you don't want to go on second leg, but if you booked it all under one reservation number, you should be entitled to full cash refund.  Dont give up.  

2 hours ago, BEACHBARB said:

HELP!!!!

We were booked on a back to back on the Joy 1/22 and 1/29.  Now the 1/22 is canceled but the 1/29 is scheduled to sail.  We don't want a one week cruise  We booked for 2 weeks and now only have the option for 1 week.  What are out options?  Our "NCL insurance tells me via phone call that not wanting to go for just one week of a two week cruise isn't covered.  Great.   We are booked in a 2 bedroom Haven for 3.  Not inexpensive,  Getting partial credit or anything similar isn't going to work for us.  And an FCC only good thru 12/31/2022 isn't good either.  Options?  You friends know the whats up so let me know.  We're desperate !!!!!!!

book the cruise after 1/29 as the 2nd leg?

Unfortunately a B2B cruise IS NOT a 2-week cruise. They are in fact 2 separate cruises. The first cruise is canceled and not much you can do other than get a refund or FCC. The second 1-week cruise is still going. You have to make a choice to keep it or not. This is how insurance works. People do not understand insurance well and they learn a lot when they finally have to use it. Every piece of a trip is a separate entity and none are dependent on another. If flights are booked separately, they are treated separately. You could still fly to the destination, so that was a choice. 

As for your lost 1st week, get the refund and figure something else to do. There really is no option unless you want an FCC for the second week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

why not booked 2/5 as a new leg?

8 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

book the cruise after 1/29 as the 2nd leg?

Because maybe they can't get that week off from work or other responsibilities/engagements?

• Like 2

Not ideal, but my suggestion would be to try to make the best of it.  Look for a nice resort style place in your port city and use the first week as a land vacation, then take the second week on the ship.

I know it's disappointing but try to allow yourself to enjoy whatever you can.  It's not what you wanted or planned but it's still a vacation.  The time factor and last minute changes are, I'm sure, very stressful and frustrating, but try to work something out so that you can still have a great vacation. 

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aero777 said:

Not to hijack, but is doing back to back Haven like all you can eat lobster, after awhile you never want to see another lobster?

Yes, even after a week of never ending lobsters in the Haven restaurant, you do get a bit tired of lobster.  First world problems....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Unfortunately a B2B cruise IS NOT a 2-week cruise. They are in fact 2 separate cruises. The first cruise is canceled and not much you can do other than get a refund or FCC. The second 1-week cruise is still going. You have to make a choice to keep it or not. This is how insurance works. People do not understand insurance well and they learn a lot when they finally have to use it. Every piece of a trip is a separate entity and none are dependent on another. If flights are booked separately, they are treated separately. You could still fly to the destination, so that was a choice. 

As for your lost 1st week, get the refund and figure something else to do. There really is no option unless you want an FCC for the second week. 

Insurance won''t cover this.  I called them and they have a very specific list of things that are covered.  A FCC that's only good till the end of this year isn't something we want but we may be forced to take a cruise to somewhere we don't even want to go.  This damn virus.  Screwing up so much. 

17 hours ago, julig22 said:

Pre-covid I had a b2b "modified" - first leg cancelled, dates of 2nd leg  changed.  They did a lift and drop to another ship with a similar itinerary for passengers on the cancelled cruise, which of course created an issue for me.  For those affected by the date change (my second leg) we were given a few alternatives but nothing matching my original itinerary and I wasn't interested.

I contacted Katty Byrd, customer services and was able to negotiate a different cruise - so they were willing to work one on one. Figure out what you think would be reasonable and ask.  

Funny you mentioned Katty Byrd because I was looking up names of people I could contact and she is at the top of my list.  

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I think anyone that is staying in a 2BR Haven Suite with 3-people can make schedule changes in their life. If not, then the cruise cannot be that important to them.

You are a ray of sunshine.  You know nothing about what's going on in our family since we booked this cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bigrednole said:

This is how insurance works. People do not understand insurance well and they learn a lot when they finally have to use it. Every piece of a trip is a separate entity and none are dependent on another.

If flights are booked separately, they are treated separately. You could still fly to the destination, so that was a choice. 

so booking with ncl air would be better since if ncl cancels the 1st leg of cruise, you can reschedule flight without penalty?

17 hours ago, julig22 said:

Do you happen to still have her phone number.  I tried calling and they person answering tried to help me but never gave me Katty Byrd's number.  Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

so booking with ncl air would be better since if ncl cancels the 1st leg of cruise, you can reschedule flight without penalty?

Are you guessing, with a question mark?  Or are you stating a fact because you know for sure?

We just got our first leg of a b2b Panama cruise cancelled (Jewel 2022.3.20). 

Our TA emailed us right away but there's still no official notification from NCL to us directly and the cruise is still showing booked in our NCL account. 

I thought we'd have to buy our own air to fly to Panama (and ground transfer to Colon) to get on the 2nd leg if we still want to go.

Call NCL and ask to speak to the Peace of Mind group. Tell them why You want to cancel under their Peace of Mind policy. Seems to me that being forced into a 1 week cruise because of COVID when you booked 2 weeks isn't giving you peace of mind.

Edited by Snowrose

1 hour ago, Middleager said:

Are you guessing, with a question mark?  Or are you stating a fact because you know for sure?

We just got our first leg of a b2b Panama cruise cancelled (Jewel 2022.3.20). 

Our TA emailed us right away but there's still no official notification from NCL to us directly and the cruise is still showing booked in our NCL account. 

I thought we'd have to buy our own air to fly to Panama (and ground transfer to Colon) to get on the 2nd leg if we still want to go.

NCL would not allow me to add back the airfare promo when my b2b couldn't happen because they changed dates and itinerary.  However, I didn't really pursue it at the time because I was able to get it on my own for about the same cost. 

5 hours ago, BEACHBARB said:

Do you happen to still have her phone number.  I tried calling and they person answering tried to help me but never gave me Katty Byrd's number.  Thanks in advance.

I've always initiated contact via email.  Got an email and call back from a staff member the following day.

kbyrd@ncl.com