Heads up….quarantine is actually 11 days, not 10

Riversedge

I’m going to start a “Live From Koningsdam Quarantine” thread but wanted to give you a heads up that the 10 days they say you have to quarantine is actually 11 days.  Even though you might start isolation in the morning, HAL counts it as day ZERO.  As if I needed another day of boredom!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Are you only a test result victim, or do you actually have symptoms and feel sick? Can you track back your possible exposure?

They did two tests, one rapid and a pcr.  I have a runny nose and am a little tired.   We have been so careful.  Not around anyone, no crowded bars, no elevators.  We don’t do indoor dining at home for this reason or go to bars.  It’s pretty much impossible to stay safe no matter how careful you are.  There are quite a few positive people onboard but of course no information  about actual numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

My sympathies. Thanks for your ongoing reports. I recall the room service chicken quesadillas were pretty good - as meals will be about the only routine you will now have - a blow by blow review of all the room service items maybe?

Best wishes - what you report will be helpful to many, including a walk through of symptoms over the course of this confinement,  if you choose to disclose them.  Are any therapeutics offered, or did you pack any of the home brew remedies currently touted? 

• Like 2

I guess I am lucky. We tested positive on Monday for the cruise to Hawaii on Princess  that left LA on Wednesday. Wasn't the only one on my roll call that couldn't cruise. The funny thing was we were on a New Years cruise and someone also on my Hawaii roll call was on it too. He too tested positive for the Hawaii cruise. So good possibility we got it on the other cruise.

I guess I am lucky that I wasn't already cruising and test positive. Doubt that being in isolation on a ship would be a fun cruise. Am anxious to hear how life will be for a isolated person on a cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope your symptoms remain mild. One of our adult daughters just was tested positive and her symptoms are sinus pressure and being tired whereas her boyfriend who also tested positive had a bad sore throat and cough. I went to the local drug store to get them some OTC meds and the shelves were practically bare. We have our next cruise in 8 weeks and will plan to pack some cold drugs just as a precaution. Thank you for taking the time to recount your experience.

Were you tested because you reported to sickbay with your symptoms or did the ship test everyone on board when heading to Hawaii?    Did the move you to a veranda cabin?   Hope you don't get to feeling too bad.

2 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Were you tested because you reported to sickbay with your symptoms or did the ship test everyone on board when heading to Hawaii?    Did the move you to a veranda cabin?   Hope you don't get to feeling too bad.

I’ve started a thread with the testing procedure.  I had no symptoms when they tested, only slight symptoms now.  The entire ship was tested over a two day period as well as testing on the dock and they found quite a few positive cases onboard.  I will be glad to report the blow by blow on the Live thread I have started.  Thanks for the well wishes.  My biggest symptom right now is BOREDOM!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I guess I am lucky. We tested positive on Monday for the cruise to Hawaii on Princess  that left LA on Wednesday. Wasn't the only one on my roll call that couldn't cruise. The funny thing was we were on a New Years cruise and someone also on my Hawaii roll call was on it too. He too tested positive for the Hawaii cruise. So good possibility we got it on the other cruise.

I guess I am lucky that I wasn't already cruising and test positive. Doubt that being in isolation on a ship would be a fun cruise. Am anxious to hear how life will be for a isolated person on a cruise ship.

I’m so sorry you missed the entire cruise.  That may be preferable to this where I will only get partial FCC.  But I wouldn’t want to be stuck in San Diego either.   We were on the previous 7 day cruise to Mexico.  I felt safe on that cruise.  900 Mormons who didn’t drink and attended meetings all day.  This ship is overwhelmed with people drinking around the bars and showroom so therefore masks are not required.  We were tested between the two cruises and I was negative.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Riversedge said:

I’m going to start a “Live From Koningsdam Quarantine” thread but wanted to give you a heads up that the 10 days they say you have to quarantine is actually 11 days.  Even though you might start isolation in the morning, HAL counts it as day ZERO.  As if I needed another day of boredom!  

I believe everywhere counts the day of a positive test as day zero.

• Like 3

So sorry this happened to you. Hope that your symptoms remain mild to none and that your days alone pass quickly. 

If it makes you feel any better, starting with day zero as the date of your positive test, the next day is day one  and at that time you have been in isolation for one 24 hour period.  Keep counting and on day ten you will have isolated for ten 24 hour periods, or ten and not eleven days. 

Take care and feel well.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Riversedge said:

The entire ship was tested over a two day period as well as testing on the dock and they found quite a few positive cases onboard.  

Trying to sort this out....everyone who embarked in San Diego tested negative, in the terminal, before boarding. How many days after the ship left San Diego did people test positive ? 

2 hours ago, arzz said:

So sorry this happened to you. Hope that your symptoms remain mild to none and that your days alone pass quickly. 

If it makes you feel any better, starting with day zero as the date of your positive test, the next day is day one  and at that time you have been in isolation for one 24 hour period.  Keep counting and on day ten you will have isolated for ten 24 hour periods, or ten and not eleven days. 

Take care and feel well.

I understand what you are saying.  I guess it’s hard for me to think that they need to count the time I would be sleeping in my room when I wouldn’t be out anyways. Checkout time better come early. 

19 hours ago, msmayor said:

I believe everywhere counts the day of a positive test as day zero.

Regarding the 10 vs 11 days, the above is correct.

How many days are in a week?  Seven, right?

So if you start on Sunday, one generally starts by saying, "Monday, Tuesday... Sunday", which is seven, not eight, days.  Two Sundays are not "counted", but both would be "involved" in, say, a week-long cruise.  The first full "day" would end on Monday... etc.

If you reserved seven nights at a hotel, you don't pay for that last (e.g., Sunday) night, but Sunday itself is involved.  In such cases, it's usually from check-in on Sunday at, say, 3pm... until checkout on Sunday [again!] at, say, 11am.  Seven days/seven nights in common parlance, but 8 separate days are involved.

However, only seven nights are included, even though eight days are involved, given that the occupancy/counting doesn't usually occur precisely at midnight.

But we aren't typically accustomed to starting counting at "zero".

[I thought I read somewhere here on CC that someone already mentioned about coding - or most computer type work].  So when we count "day one", typically one day has not yet passed.

There's nothing nefarious going on; no one is trying to disguise a time-out of 11 days as only 10.

GC

Thank you for taking us along for your quarantine cruise.   I'm super sorry you got it, being in quarantine is no fun on a cruise ship.  4 days with norovirus about made me go bonkers....the first couple of days when I didn't feel good it was no big deal....but on day 3 I was ready to pull my hair out from boredom.

With all that being said, you really are a big help for those that are concerned about the quarantining process.   It's everyone's biggest fear at the moment, and everyone has questions.

Like the previous poster, it's helpful if you relay your symptoms as well if you are so inclined.  Covid fear is huge and it's helpful to us people that are nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof about cruising.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Thank you for taking us along for your quarantine cruise.   I'm super sorry you got it, being in quarantine is no fun on a cruise ship.  4 days with norovirus about made me go bonkers....the first couple of days when I didn't feel good it was no big deal....but on day 3 I was ready to pull my hair out from boredom.

With all that being said, you really are a big help for those that are concerned about the quarantining process.   It's everyone's biggest fear at the moment, and everyone has questions.

Like the previous poster, it's helpful if you relay your symptoms as well if you are so inclined.  Covid fear is huge and it's helpful to us people that are nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof about cruising.

Thanks again!

I tested positive on Wednesday.  Runny nose and cough from sinus drainage.  100 degree temp the first morning and then fine.  Tired if I tried to do anything, but really there’s not much to do.  Sunday now and I’m feeling pretty normal.  Still have all this week to go.  I had 3 full Moderna vaccines and I’m sure the vaccines have kept my case light.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Riversedge said:

I tested positive on Wednesday.  Runny nose and cough from sinus drainage.  100 degree temp the first morning and then fine.  Tired if I tried to do anything, but really there’s not much to do.  Sunday now and I’m feeling pretty normal.  Still have all this week to go.  I had 3 full Moderna vaccines and I’m sure the vaccines have kept my case light.  

Glad you mentioned your temp.  Are you taking it daily and reporting it to the medical team?  Assume they must have given you a thermometer?  

Interesting symptoms - I have seasonal allergies that do that to me almost year-round (except no temp) so I always travel with OTC meds for that.  Do you think your tiredness is from the low-grade fever or just because you're stuck in a box and bored?

Can you see water if you look to the right?  

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Glad you mentioned your temp.  Are you taking it daily and reporting it to the medical team?  Assume they must have given you a thermometer?  

Interesting symptoms - I have seasonal allergies that do that to me almost year-round (except no temp) so I always travel with OTC meds for that.  Do you think your tiredness is from the low-grade fever or just because you're stuck in a box and bored?

Can you see water if you look to the right?  

They were supposed to bring me a thermometer on day zero but they didn’t. I do carry one of my own.  We have a form we have to fill out with symptoms and record our temps as well.  No guidance as to how often they want that.  They called yesterday and today from med center..first communication. I wonder if it’s a Hawaii requirement. I feel really good today.  Haven’t had a low grade fever since first couple of hours in quarantine.  I also have allergies and I’ve always had sinus problems, surgeries, meds etc.  This doesn’t feel any different.  Tiredness may have been from stress or boredom.  Anyways I have too much energy now. 

After the football games today I discovered there are whales everywhere.  Can see the blows with the naked eye but I have a really good set of binoculars that I am using.  They are putting on a show today!  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

How is the food service - do you order off the room service menu or  the dining room menu?

Terrific you are seeing lots of whales - might be a private bonus others less confined might be missing.  Thanks for the reports. Interesting data evolving about who is getting Omicron, you will learn more once you get home as the studies continue.

7 hours ago, Riversedge said:

They were supposed to bring me a thermometer on day zero but they didn’t. I do carry one of my own.  We have a form we have to fill out with symptoms and record our temps as well.  No guidance as to how often they want that.  They called yesterday and today from med center..first communication. I wonder if it’s a Hawaii requirement. I feel really good today.  Haven’t had a low grade fever since first couple of hours in quarantine.  I also have allergies and I’ve always had sinus problems, surgeries, meds etc.  This doesn’t feel any different.  Tiredness may have been from stress or boredom.  Anyways I have too much energy now. 

After the football games today I discovered there are whales everywhere.  Can see the blows with the naked eye but I have a really good set of binoculars that I am using.  They are putting on a show today!  

So glad to hear you are feeling better.

I suppose if they didn't hear from you when you would be ordering meals (or supplies, etc.), then they'd be checking up more.

Maybe we should plan to add binoculars to the medical supply bag, eh?  Thank goodness you have them!

Is there anything else you now wish you had brought along "to have during isolation" that you don't have and can't [easily?] get from the ship?  You know, such as flatware, china, and a wineglass, although those won't fit in our medical bag.   Those "What To Pack For Your First Cruise" lists might need to change. 😉

GC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1