Cruise anyone?

We are booked on Radiance of the Seas for November. Our fave family ship - 4th cruise on her! I’d love to do something mid year, maybe a barrier reef cruise. Carnival has some good deals but need to convince hubby they aren’t ‘crazy clown cruise lines’ after one bad cruise with them 😂. We’ve had 5 P&O short breaks cancelled so far and I can’t face booking anything else until we have a firm restart date. Ugh I get so frustrated every time I see one of those ‘important information about your upcoming cruise’ emails…..

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:15 AM, Chiliburn said:

I have been chatting with a fellow from sydney who is in the US and is doing 8 cruises with his wife.

They left sydney just after Christmas and he said with a little research it has been a fairly normal experience.

He must have a quid, lol. A bit foolish I think, a lot of risk.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NSWP said:

He must have a quid, lol. A bit foolish I think, a lot of risk.

It would cost a few bucks but I believe he’s something to do with the cruise industry.

I can’t see it being any more risk that being home.  Cruise ships are probably safer that the local club.

Anyway every second person I know has had it including me and my family.

The strange thing is uncle Les, I think I caught it of a couple of mates on New Year’s Eve. They weren’t vaccinated and I’m triple vaccinated and I had more symptoms.
 I had mild flu symptoms with a bit of temperature and they didn’t know they had it. As they where tested positive at work straight after New Years.
I just don’t know anymore.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

We can't get RAT test because our govt has been so slow to order them that there simply aren't enough.  A bit of a bureaucratic bungle.  Yes, I do tend to agree with you re 50000 but it is exponential.  We have an immune naive population in that we have had very little virus circulating but then our adult population is about 90% vaccinated.  We're like you were a couple of months ago.

Hopefully you have a high rate of 3rd dose in the population - that's the one that makes the difference with this omicron beast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Hopefully you have a high rate of 3rd dose in the population - that's the one that makes the difference with this omicron beast.

Trouble is here in Oz most of us aren't having a "third" dose - we are having a 1st dose of  Pfizer after having two doses of AZ. There is next to no "Science" in any/all of this - the Health Authorities are winging it as they go along. I guess that is why it was originally called a "Novel" virus. It is also apparent that the vaccines are not doing what we were told that they would do and why we should have them - but have now been pivoted for us to accept that they do something else ( well, maybe they do - or don't). The only valuable thing I have got out of the last 2 years is - that you can only catch this virus form another person - so stay outside and hug the trees. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bazzaw said:

Trouble is here in Oz most of us aren't having a "third" dose - we are having a 1st dose of  Pfizer after having two doses of AZ. There is next to no "Science" in any/all of this - the Health Authorities are winging it as they go along. I guess that is why it was originally called a "Novel" virus. It is also apparent that the vaccines are not doing what we were told that they would do and why we should have them - but have now been pivoted for us to accept that they do something else ( well, maybe they do - or don't). The only valuable thing I have got out of the last 2 years is - that you can only catch this virus form another person - so stay outside and hug the trees. 

There was "science" behind the recommendation to have a different vaccine type for the booster if possible. Those that had AZ for the first two shots were recommended to have Pfizer or Moderna. Those who had Pfizer for the first two shots were recommended to have Moderna but not AZ as studies had shown that didn't give as much protection. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

My first two were AZ and Moderna booster a few weeks ago.  No doubt we will be required to have a 4th shot soon, like some European countries and Israel.

5 hours ago, Port Power said:

I went on two Coral Expeditions expedition cruises late last year, Kimberley coast and Coral coast, and in March will be on Coral Discoverer in Tasmania.  I am certain that will go ahead.  Then there will be Caledonian Sky in April and Coral Discoverer in May, both from Broome around the Kimberley coast again.  Again, I am confident they will go ahead.  Being small ships and not mainstream cruise lines, they can operate when large ships cannot.  

At the end of this year is a deferred Viking European river cruise which I am 50/50 about right now. I’m sure the cruise will go, but not sure I’ll be on it.  In December I’m booked on Azamara Quest from Fremantle to Melbourne with New Year’s Eve in Sydney.  I really hope that does go ahead this year. Pretty confident it will.🤞

Wow I'm impressed that you were able to go on two Coral Expeditions expedition cruises last year, with another one due next March in Tasmania.  APT's Caledonian Sky's itinerary from Fremantle to Broome in April looks interesting. Unfortunately only WA people can cruise on the WA cruises at present.  However, it is lovely to see small ships cruising in Australia. 

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There was "science" behind the recommendation to have a different vaccine type for the booster if possible. Those that had AZ for the first two shots were recommended to have Pfizer or Moderna. Those who had Pfizer for the first two shots were recommended to have Moderna but not AZ as studies had shown that didn't give as much protection. 

"Reports" in the Press do not mean there was any Science behind those decisions - Most of the reports I have read regarding this use words like "may", "could" , "appear to be", etc. The Science may just be starting however - as per this article dated December 2021  https://www.uwa.edu.au/news/Article/2021/December/Clinical-trial-to-examine-whether-mixing-COVID-19-vaccine-boosters-is-more-effective

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Wow I'm impressed that you were able to go on two Coral Expeditions expedition cruises last year, with another one due next March in Tasmania.  APT's Caledonian Sky's itinerary from Fremantle to Broome in April looks interesting. Unfortunately only WA people can cruise on the WA cruises at present.  However, it is lovely to see small ships cruising in Australia. 

The first one was Broome to Darwin, but only 25 passengers because people from the eastern states were not allowed into WA from a few weeks before boarding. The second was Broome to Fremantle with 49 pax.  Western Australians have been lucky in that regard with such a big and diverse state.

I would have jumped on APT’s Broome to Fremantle on March 14 but that’s at the same time as Tassie.

Let’s hope 2023 will be much more open for travel.  I have three long cruises booked including from Vancouver to and around Japan, then Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona via Portugal.🤞 

Just now, bazzaw said:

"Reports" in the Press do not mean there was any Science behind those decisions - Most of the reports I have read regarding this use words like "may", "could" , "appear to be", etc. The Science may just be starting however - as per this article dated December 2021  https://www.uwa.edu.au/news/Article/2021/December/Clinical-trial-to-examine-whether-mixing-COVID-19-vaccine-boosters-is-more-effective

Those recommendations were in fact based on research and published as scholarly articles in medical journals.

The vaccines were always said to do three things: reduce transmission of the virus; reduce severity of symptoms and reduce likelihood of death. The current scientific reports as well as the observations of the epidemiology confirm this is still the case but with reduced efficacy for the omicron variant. I will repeat my former point, which has been borne out by research, that the third dose of Pfizer or Moderna (yes! even after 2 doses of AZ) is required to protect you as much as possible and to any significant degree, from the omicron variant. AZ has been shown (research) to have useful residual effects in the immune system so it's not as though it was a waste of time. In fact, it seems to be proving to be as good a basis for the third shot as either of the others we're using here.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I'm fairly certain the reports I read quoted reliable sources but it was a few months ago so I can't recall specifically what those sources were.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It would cost a few bucks but I believe he’s something to do with the cruise industry.

I can’t see it being any more risk that being home.  Cruise ships are probably safer that the local club.

Anyway every second person I know has had it including me and my family.

The strange thing is uncle Les, I think I caught it of a couple of mates on New Year’s Eve. They weren’t vaccinated and I’m triple vaccinated and I had more symptoms.
 I had mild flu symptoms with a bit of temperature and they didn’t know they had it. As they where tested positive at work straight after New Years.
I just don’t know anymore.

Everyone's immune system is different.  It may be you would have been worse without the vaccination. Remember that you are a sample of one, you have to look at the stats for a much bigger sample than that.  It's like arguing that the climate isn't warming because it's a cold day.  I can understand being pssed off about it though.

• Like 3

bazzaw — just a couple of points:

the designation was novel coronavirus, not a novel virus. There are lots of coronaviruses around, most importantly the family of SARS. The current vaccines  are based on the extensive development worked done when the original sars outbreak appeared to be a lot worse than it turned out. Saved a vast amount of time.

Second, plenty of science. Here’s one from The Lancet https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3874014

• Like 3

On 1/27/2022 at 8:57 PM, onlyslightlymad said:

What do you think the probability is that it will go and, more importantly, that you will be on board...

We just booked a 7 day Majestic Princess cruise ex Los Angeles to Mexico, departing April 23 (ie in 2.5 months). We will only need to Covid test once before departure from Melbourne and then once at the dock in LA on disembarkation from the cruise (no testing on board required for this itinerary). 

So if we are good to get on the plane, we will be good to get on the ship (can use the same test). Biggest risk is testing +ve when we get off the ship and having to delay our return flight. Not a big deal as we can both work remotely and Princess will cover the quarantine cost if our insurance doesn't.

Slightly crazy doing a 15 hour flight both ways for a 7 day cruise, but not cruising for 2 years has made me..... slightly crazy.

Probability cruise will go: 95% (they are already happening)

Probability we will be on board: 90%

Managed to get the flights on QF points, so the whole thing is pretty low risk.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beagle5 said:

We just booked a 7 day Majestic Princess cruise ex Los Angeles to Mexico, departing April 23 (ie in 2.5 months). We will only need to Covid test once before departure from Melbourne and then once at the dock in LA on disembarkation from the cruise (no testing on board required for this itinerary). 

So if we are good to get on the plane, we will be good to get on the ship (can use the same test). Biggest risk is testing +ve when we get off the ship and having to delay our return flight. Not a big deal as we can both work remotely and Princess will cover the quarantine cost if our insurance doesn't.

Slightly crazy doing a 15 hour flight both ways for a 7 day cruise, but not cruising for 2 years has made me..... slightly crazy.

Bon Voyage for your cruise in April from LA to Mexico.  You must really miss cruising.  They might have cruising with covid down to a fine art by end of April.  As you say they are cruising already.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Beagle5 said:

Well done.   We have booked a cruise around the UK for July.   Can visit relatives in Edinburgh.   Decided as there is reciprocal health rights and they speak the same language…perhaps..made our decision.

you mentioned insurance..,can I ask who you got your insurance with…did it include cruise insurance.

thanks.  Eileen

Just now, Cruisers47 said:

I ask who you got your insurance with…did it include cruise insurance.

Covermore - they specifically ask if you will be going on a cruise and the price adjusts when you tick the box (it increased the cost by only $4!!).

1 hour ago, Beagle5 said:

Covermore - they specifically ask if you will be going on a cruise and the price adjusts when you tick the box (it increased the cost by only $4!!).

Could that be because they don't cover covid and Princess covers quarantine costs in US?

52 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Could that be because they don't cover covid and Princess covers quarantine costs in US?

Hmmm.

Princess recommended Covermore and sent a promo code for Covermore after we booked.

There is a Covid exclusion, but going on a cruise doesn't nullify the insurance (which I believe it does with some other providers). You still have unlimited medical cover for non Covid issues.

Quarantine costs are covered by Princess, and if you are quarantined on the ship you get an FCC for those days. So monetary/inconvenience type costs are largely covered.

But you're right-  it doesn't cover Covid related medical costs after the cruise if we catch Covid on the cruise. 

I think we are extremely low risk for ending up in an ICU (early 50s vaxed/boosted/no health issues), but may be worth having a think about it.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:43 AM, Port Power said:

I went on two Coral Expeditions expedition cruises late last year, Kimberley coast and Coral coast, and in March will be on Coral Discoverer in Tasmania

That is awesome, how was the cruise? good operator?

Seriously thinking of the GBR trip with CE.

Cheers

Craig