No sauna facilities on Freedom OTS anymore?????

I just got off 7 nights on Freedom OTS and was shocked that they took away the steam and sauna rooms; not even a Thermal Suite to enjoy.  It's a guilty pleasure of mine to go there after a workout or a massage but there's nothing at all.  Instead, there are oceanview and inside cabins.  What a shame.  I spoke to some of the crew in the salon's and they too said many guests' have complained.  I guess the almighty dollar wins again!! 😏

• Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 2:42 PM, Surfguyxxx said:

I just got off 7 nights on Freedom OTS and was shocked that they took away the steam and sauna rooms; not even a Thermal Suite to enjoy.  It's a guilty pleasure of mine to go there after a workout or a massage but there's nothing at all.  Instead, there are oceanview and inside cabins.  What a shame.  I spoke to some of the crew in the salon's and they too said many guests' have complained.  I guess the almighty dollar wins again!! 😏

So does that mean the locker rooms and showers are also gone? 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

So does that mean the locker rooms and showers are also gone? 

Correct. No locker rooms at all. Royal is slowly taking away those facilities. Oasis class and Quantum Class doesn't have locker rooms or free sauna or steam rooms. On those ship classes the spa locker rooms are only for Thermal suite guests or if you're having a treatment. Those locker rooms don't have any saunas or steam rooms, only in the co-ed thermal suite. Any new amped ships are having those locker rooms removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Correct. No locker rooms at all. Royal is slowly taking away those facilities. Oasis class and Quantum Class doesn't have locker rooms or free sauna or steam rooms. On those ship classes the spa locker rooms are only for Thermal suite guests or if you're having a treatment. Those locker rooms don't have any saunas or steam rooms, only in the co-ed thermal suite. Any new amped ships are having those locker rooms removed.

11 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I think so. Freedom was totally amplified and they gutted the spa/gym area to make way for more cabins. 

That sucks! I was afraid of that, just wanted to hear it out loud from someone. Thanks. 

• Like 1

RCI has been dead set on cramming more cabins, and people, into their ships. The only way to accomplish that is to take away public space and venues that people enjoy and pack those people closer together in the remaining space. This also decreases the variety of venues. Gyms, libraries, saunas all seem to be on the chopping block. It is all about cabins, bars, and up charge dining. Having just experienced Allure with less than 3500 guests it is going to be difficult to go back to fully booked ships.

• Like 3

The "amplified" gyms on Navigator, Freedom, and Voyager are terrible. It's a shame they got rid of those awesome facilities. 

I no longer sail on those ships for that reason. 

Explorer, Adventure, Mariner, Independence, and Liberty still have them (for now). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

The "amplified" gyms on Navigator, Freedom, and Voyager are terrible. It's a shame they got rid of those awesome facilities. 

Explorer, Adventure, Mariner, Independence, and Liberty still have them (for now). 

Good. We're doing a B2B on the Explorer in March. 

Edited by davekathy

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

RCI has been dead set on cramming more cabins, and people, into their ships. The only way to accomplish that is to take away public space and venues that people enjoy and pack those people closer together in the remaining space. This also decreases the variety of venues. Gyms, libraries, saunas all seem to be on the chopping block. It is all about cabins, bars, and up charge dining. Having just experienced Allure with less than 3500 guests it is going to be difficult to go back to fully booked ships.

It's a bit ironic that Royals approach to adding more cabins and cramming more people onto their ships pre-covid is now exactly the opposite of what people are looking for in this new world of COVID. I also agree that after taking 3 sailings since the restart at limited capacity it's going to be very hard...if not deterring to wanting to book future cruises when they go back to full capacity. I think the cruise lines may have a bit of a struggle in front of them to filling theses ships at full capacity going forward....at least in the near future. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bajathree said:

. I also agree that after taking 3 sailings since the restart at limited capacity it's going to be very hard...if not deterring to wanting to book future cruises when they go back to full capacity.

I honestly dont know if I can get back on a ship after experiencing Ovation with only 1900 guests.  Best cruise ever. It ruined me. 

• Like 5

On 2/2/2022 at 11:09 AM, kruzerci said:

We're with you. The more they "cr-amp" these ships, the fewer of Royal's there will be for us to sail on. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:09 AM, kruzerci said:

I've another 3 nighter and 4 nighter on Freedom in May and I'm most likely going to switch it over to Independence.  I know it seems silly to some to change because of a sauna/steam room but as I don't drink and usually don't get off the ships at these ports, it's something that I enjoy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I've another 3 nighter and 4 nighter on Freedom in May and I'm most likely going to switch it over to Independence.  I know it seems silly to some to change because of a sauna/steam room but as I don't drink and usually don't get off the ships at these ports, it's something that I enjoy.  

You should if you haven't Norwegian for their thermal suites.  We were on the Pearl and got a couples pass for the week.  We lived in there.  1000x better than anything Royal has.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

There is nothing silly about changing a ship because of an amenity. We all cruise for different reasons. If Indy will provide something you enjoy that Freedom no longer can, then go for it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I did both a couple times this fall and frankly think the Independence is better anyways, regardless of the sauna/steam, since it was not open at the time.