How much do people tip on the QM2?

Jon_pw

We will be heading out on the QM2 on the 13th and are still a bit confused about how tipping works - online I've seen it suggested that we pay $11 per person per day, but my girlfriend has read on a German forum that most people pay lower, about $6 - 8 (but this may be outdated information)

What is considered the standard amount?

Thanks for reading!

40 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

A service charge is added to your bill (which you can have removed). Otherwise you aren't expected to tip anything. Last time I think it was $11 pppd.

Currently [for US bookings] its $11.50 per person, per day for Britannia bookings.

The Grills change $13.50

We just treat the daily charge as part of the basic fare.

Mrs Bear and I will also provide a modest cash gratuity to waiter, assistant waiter & sommelier at the end of each segment [sometimes these folks change when a segment ends]. We have also handed out a couple of 'you have been a star' cards - apparently Cunard uses [or used to use] these cards for employee evaluations and perks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon_pw said:

We will be heading out on the QM2 on the 13th and are still a bit confused about how tipping works - online I've seen it suggested that we pay $11 per person per day, but my girlfriend has read on a German forum that most people pay lower, about $6 - 8 (but this may be outdated information)

What is considered the standard amount?

Thanks for reading!

Since your cruise is departing from Hamburg and your profile does not indicate your country, did you book in Germany? If so, my understanding is you would actually opt in to have an auto-gratuity added to your account via a form left in your cabin.

Otherwise, if you booked under the terms and conditions for the UK or US, the "hotel and dining service charge" will be added to your onboard account. As already mentioned, that amount is currently $11.50 per person per day for Britannia cabins and $13.50 per person per day for Grill suites. You can remove or amend that amount if you wish by visiting the pursers desk.

Those $11.50 and $13.50 per person per day amounts might be considered the "standard" amounts. However, discussions about how much anyone choses to tip is a personal matter and tends to be a hot button issue on this forum, so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

I thought that Cunard agreed to meet a minimum amount for tips received by guests  which was agreed with the persons employed on board. . If the cruise passengers failed to keep on board tips on their account and the amount did not meet the agreed amount at the end of the cruise, then Cunard would make up the difference.  So it benefitted staff if they received their  tips from passengers in Cash also benefitted the passenger by only having to tip once.   Hot topic 🤣

Edited by LifeonMars

1 hour ago, LifeonMars said:

I thought that Cunard agreed to meet a minimum amount for tips received by guests  which was agreed with the persons employed on board. . If the cruise passengers failed to keep on board tips on their account and the amount did not meet the agreed amount at the end of the cruise, then Cunard would make up the difference.  So it benefitted staff if they received their  tips from passengers in Cash also benefitted the passenger by only having to tip once.   Hot topic 🤣

Correct and many do tip by both methods……

24 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Correct and many do tip by both methods……

🤣 yes they do but not all passengers have money to do that, especially with the UK spiralling energy costs. It is nice to brag about tipping and show it, but those that are lucky enough to have money  were I live , very rarely spend their own, in my opinion 🤣 That why they have money. 

Did say it was a hot topic.,  Never understand tipping twice,

Edited by LifeonMars

7 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

🤣 yes they do but not all passengers have money to do that, especially with the UK spiralling energy costs. It is nice to brag about tipping and show it, but those that are lucky enough to have money  were I live , very rarely spend their own, in my opinion 🤣 That why they have money. 

Did say it was a hot topic.,  Never understand tipping twice,

There is no call to tip twice. In fact to take it to the extreme, I have known a couple who removed all grats. from their onboard account, a practice I thoroughly disapprove of but it was their call. Luckily on this board, no one  brags about giving grats. on top of the daily on account 'charges'. Advice is sought and advice through experience, is given. Then whatever anyone does about their personal  method of remuneration, is just that, personal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

There is no call to tip twice. In fact to take it to the extreme, I have known a couple who removed all grats. from their onboard account, a practice I thoroughly disapprove of but it was their call. Luckily on this board, no one  brags about giving grats. on top of the daily on account 'charges'. Advice is sought and advice through experience, is given. Then whatever anyone does about their personal  method of remuneration, is just that, personal.

Removal?  
Witnessed worse.  

A group, having free OBC as part of a TA’s offer, were at Purser’s trying to have all the prepaid grats monies removed, then placed as a credit on their accounts, so they may purchase cigarettes from the Duty Free.

Declined.  

Their threat type response was “This is the first and last time time we sail Cunard”

One gave a mental wave of goodbye

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Never understand tipping twice,

One gratuity method is “General” for every crew member, with the other being a show of gratitude to an individual, or many, that enhanced one’s cruise experience, this mode being more personal and in greatly appreciated cash.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Cash
  • Like 2

What annoyed me on an occasion on TA on QM2 with American couple somehow the conversation got to "tips" and they said it was the norm and expected in US and anyone who removed them onboard were basically the lowest of the lowest. It then transpired that they had a included in their booking free drinks package and tips. With reference what has been said previously by LifeonMars #8 that Cunard agree to make up shortfall, if any, so that staff do not lose out on what is agreed on contract, surely this means it is in Cunard's interest for you to not take tips off as if they have to pay it this will then have an effect on their profits. I am sorry but in this day and age I dont know why tips are not included in cruise fare and there is no obligation to tip further unless for an exemplary reason. Seems to work on other cruise lines.

• Like 1

I usually get into trouble with my tipping comments, but here goes again. First of all. Most of the staff you will encounter come from third world countries and every little bit helps. 

I am also an American where tipping is part of any dining and may service experiences, so it comes naturally.

I would never consider removing the auto gratuities from my bill. 

I almost always add an additional tip to members of staff who have worked hard and been kind to me on a regular basis, wait staff, bar staff, room staff. 

I don't provide extra if the service has been average or less. 

I give the tips at the end of the voyage with a personal note of thanks in a sealed envelope. 

I won't go into the amount I give each, (since that seems to cause a real stink)  but the longer the voyage the larger the tip.

As a post script. Over my voyages on the Queens over the past decade and a half, I frequently have run into staff who met my expectations a received a gift. They generally remember me with a kind "welcome back".

• Like 5

This is an uncomfortable area for so many of us.  We are from the US where tipping is unfortunately part of the culture and where service staff are not well compensated for their hard work.  On board we accept the automatic service charges as part of our fare.  If we do not have a drinks package, we accept the 15% service charge on drinks, but generally don't add more.  If a server or steward has dome a special service, we give some extra cash in an envelope at the end of the cruise.  But the whole thing does make use feel awkward.  We don't want to appear cheap and uncaring, but we also don't want to look like flush Americans who throw their money at service workers.  It's all very awkward.

• Like 2

Oh, if only Cunard would follow the way of P&O and Saga.

Tips included in the cruise price now afford so much more satisfaction to us folk that have been  accustomed to 'Cruise Tipping' over the last 31 years:  no longer having to listen to the boasts of the 'tight wads' who'd gleefully queue at reception to have them removed.

1065406973_RichardatBarbadosAugust1990.thumb.jpg.38849089bf7b0b9cefc8df464506b95c.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tv24 said:

This is an uncomfortable area for so many of us.  We are from the US where tipping is unfortunately part of the culture and where service staff are not well compensated for their hard work.  On board we accept the automatic service charges as part of our fare.  If we do not have a drinks package, we accept the 15% service charge on drinks, but generally don't add more.  If a server or steward has dome a special service, we give some extra cash in an envelope at the end of the cruise.  But the whole thing does make use feel awkward.  We don't want to appear cheap and uncaring, but we also don't want to look like flush Americans who throw their money at service workers.  It's all very awkward.

First of all, no one should feel they have to 'give extra, No one, and if anyone feel under pressure to do so rather than want to, then they need to pay no attention to others and follow their own path.

Ostentatious giving, as an onlooker would make me feel awkward for the recipient as it smacks of Lord/Lady Bountiful  distributing to the serfs, but extra grats. given discretely shouldn't make the giver awkward at all.

The bare truth is, we probably are more flush than most of those who look after us so well on Cunard and they will be delighted with any extra show of monetary gratitude, given very discretely, and with grateful thanks.

I have said many times, no one will see us giving extra. It's between us and the recipient, no one else.

Edited by Victoria2
removed capitals
  • Like 4

I am an American who has been cruising for decades.  People always tipped in cash after a cruise, but as cruising expanded, so many cheapskates skipped out on the practice that the cruise lines were forced to institute the automatic mandatory charges.

The amount we pay per day is much less percentage-wise than I would tip in a fine restaurant or a first class hotel.  Yes, we also always provide an additional cash tip to our dining staff and room steward, etc.  Do I feel like this is awkward--absolutely not--we can afford to cruise, so we should be able to afford to tip properly.  We present the money in a discreet and elegant way in the envelopes with appreciation messages.

There are many newer cruisers who do not understand the sacrifices and lifestyles of the workers on the ship.  They toil long hours away from family for many months.  Yes, that is their choice, but sometimes there are not a lot of options available for jobs in their home countries.

Right now our U.S. service industry is somewhat chaotic, because low-paid wait staff have finally decided they no longer want to be worked to the bone for minimal wages.  I am not sure what the cruise lines would ever do if they could not hire staff from poorer countries--we might see cruise fares skyrocket if Americans and British were asked to do the same jobs, because they would never accept the low incomes.

4 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

I am an American who has been cruising for decades.  People always tipped in cash after a cruise, but as cruising expanded, so many cheapskates skipped out on the practice that the cruise lines were forced to institute the automatic mandatory charges.

The amount we pay per day is much less percentage-wise than I would tip in a fine restaurant or a first class hotel.  Yes, we also always provide an additional cash tip to our dining staff and room steward, etc.  Do I feel like this is awkward--absolutely not--we can afford to cruise, so we should be able to afford to tip properly.  We present the money in a discreet and elegant way in the envelopes with appreciation messages.

There are many newer cruisers who do not understand the sacrifices and lifestyles of the workers on the ship.  They toil long hours away from family for many months.  Yes, that is their choice, but sometimes there are not a lot of options available for jobs in their home countries. Staff that do work on cruise lines do so because due to the culture and wages in their respective countries they are highly paid and will continue to do so.

Right now our U.S. service industry is somewhat chaotic, because low-paid wait staff have finally decided they no longer want to be worked to the bone for minimal wages.  I am not sure what the cruise lines would ever do if they could not hire staff from poorer countries--we might see cruise fares skyrocket if Americans and British were asked to do the same jobs, because they would never accept the low incomes.

Sorry but just because you come form a country that tips as a culture doesnt mean everyone should do so and those that dont are not "tightwads". If you "tipped" in some countries they would be offended so please dont think just because it is the "norm" in your country expect everyone to be the same. Also take into account that many that cruise with Cunard from the US get free gratuities as part of their booking which other countries dont get and certainly dont in the UK. So when you are sitting drinking from your free drinks package and criticising others for not tipping when yours is again free please be aware tipping is a personal decision taken by every individual and nothing to do with anyone else. We once holidayed in US and was told by the rep that in a restaurant the normal expected tip is 20% if it is average 15% and if poor 10%. That ruins the whole idea of tipping and is a reward for good service and should not be given in advance, expected as the normal or even worst automatically charged to your account on the first night of your cruise before you know whether you have good service or not. It has become a culture on cruise lines to autotip cruisers so that the cruise lines can get away with paying staff very poor wages and boost the cruise lines profits.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but just because you come form a country that tips as a culture doesnt mean everyone should do so and those that dont are not "tightwads". If you "tipped" in some countries they would be offended so please dont think just because it is the "norm" in your country expect everyone to be the same. Also take into account that many that cruise with Cunard from the US get free gratuities as part of their booking which other countries dont get and certainly dont in the UK. So when you are sitting drinking from your free drinks package and criticising others for not tipping when yours is again free please be aware tipping is a personal decision taken by every individual and nothing to do with anyone else. We once holidayed in US and was told by the rep that in a restaurant the normal expected tip is 20% if it is average 15% and if poor 10%. That ruins the whole idea of tipping and is a reward for good service and should not be given in advance, expected as the normal or even worst automatically charged to your account on the first night of your cruise before you know whether you have good service or not. It has become a culture on cruise lines to autotip cruisers so that the cruise lines can get away with paying staff very poor wages and boost the cruise lines profits.

Feel one may be taking a heavy stance against LibertyBella, as there is no proven evidence to uphold your suggestion that LB had received free gratuities and drinks.  
For one’s part, the daily fee is actually treated as a hotel service charge (part of the final bill-as in the USA), not as a gratuity.  Gratuities on Cunard are a personal cash thank you, with destinations and values confidential.

6 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Feel one may be taking a heavy stance against LibertyBella, as there is no proven evidence to uphold your suggestion that LB had received free gratuities and drinks.  
For one’s part, the daily fee is actually treated as a hotel service charge (part of the final bill-as in the USA), not as a gratuity.  Gratuities on Cunard are a personal cash thank you, with destinations and values confidential.

No it isnt because if it was a true hotel service charge you would not be able to have it removed from your Onboard Account. Cunard might call it that because they are trying to deter you from removing it. I am quite happy at the end of the cruise to reward my cabin steward and waiters if deserved as the true meaning is of tipping/gratuity " a reward for good service" and normally the same or more than what Cunard auto add when not knowing or they dont care whether you have received good service or not as long as it saves Cunard money. We once had an experience on a cruise line where money was auto added at beginning of cruise on first night and then went on to have a terrible cabin steward the worst we have ever encountered on a cruise ship. Went to reception to remove his part of tip and was told could only remove it all and therefore the waiters wouldnt have received their part and they had been excellent. My only option was to leave whole amount on but make an official complaint about cabin steward which I did but since then whatever the cruise line always remove tips and pay directly at the end of the cruise. Princess on the other hand prove what happens with tips as all the money collected on every ship is pooled and then split under pre arranged terms with staff across the whole fleet so in effect part of your tip could be going to someone on a ship  you have never even met. Sorry but in this day there should be no auto added tips/gratuities/service charge and it should be included in the fare so then it is fair that everyone pays it and then if you decide to top extra for "exemplary" service then it is up to the individual.

Edited by majortom10