Mask Requirements Extended to April 14?

wake74

However, if enough people have used their credits and then don't come back and enough people hear about all the restrictions and don't book then things may change.  At some point the cruise lines are going to have to fill those big ships week after week not to just stay afloat but to actually make money.  People want to get a good value for their vacation money and may find a better experience going places that don't have testing, masking or the fear of having to isolate for days at a time in a cabin of lesser value.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Why? Flights resumed within the EU last year based on vaccination only. 

Flights are different than cruises where you're spending a prolonged period of time with people from across the world and can be exposed to many different people.  In a flight, you're only there for a few hours at most in a fixed position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

I've sailed a few times since last November and wearing a mask is no big deal. Don't wear it when I'm on the pool deck, only really wear it when I'm walking from our cabin to the show or dinner. It's a lot easier than wearing my mask from airport to ship cabin!

Agreed - about the only times we were wearing a masks was walking from point a to point b.  Once we sat down at a vaxxed-only bar, the mask came off.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Amberle3 said:

I've come to regard the mask as being "normal" now. I wear it 8hrs a day at work, and then I'll often have 3-4hrs of errands and wear it for those as well.  Today I actually forgot to take it off when I got home and realized it about 20min later.

I've managed to evade Covid so far, although more than half of my workplace has had it. But I can also say that I haven't had as much as a cold in the last 2 years and my allergies have also been way better, which is a first for me in about 30 years. So honestly I'm kinda liking the masks. My cousin makes mine, they're really comfortable and I pick out the fabrics so I'm getting exactly what I want. I just consider them an accessory now.

Plus I can mouth insults to people and they have no idea 🙂

I am in total agreement.  Sounds like we have very similar circumstances.

8 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

Agreed - about the only times we were wearing a masks was walking from point a to point b.  Once we sat down at a vaxxed-only bar, the mask came off.

Can i ask how the nightclub works? Is everyone inside no mask and vaxxed or do you have to put a mask on to move about the club or dancefloor etc?

36 minutes ago, BeginnercruiserHD said:

Flights are different than cruises where you're spending a prolonged period of time with people from across the world and can be exposed to many different people.  In a flight, you're only there for a few hours at most in a fixed position.

and the vertical ventilation on aircraft is ideal for helping keep airborn illness from spreading as much or as far.

1 hour ago, BeginnercruiserHD said:

The point I was making is that I can fly anywhere in the EU without a test. I can already go to restaurants, bar and even nightclubs without a mask. 

I love cursing. Everyone here does. But if

cruise lines persist with testing and masking, when (and that date is coming) the rest of hospitality has moved on then, IMO, they’re in serious trouble. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, binro01 said:

Once again, a wonderful thread full of speculation but lacking in substance

Including your extremely long monologue.

However, the new CEO will be on CNBC in a few minutes, so maybe he will lay out their plans going forward.

Edited by orville99

27 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

The point I was making is that I can fly anywhere in the EU without a test. I can already go to restaurants, bar and even nightclubs without a mask. 

I love cursing. Everyone here does. But if

cruise lines persist with testing and masking, when (and that date is coming) the rest of hospitality has moved on then, IMO, they’re in serious trouble. 

Flights within the EU without testing require that adults be vacinated and have had their final vaccine or booster not more than 270 days prior.  And do require the wearing of masks.  I am really not sure what your point is?

And, while I am hopeful that vaccination rates will keep climbing and covid incidence rates will fall as the weather warms, and then things CAN ease up...Ireland and Denmark are not repsrentative of all of Europe...so it is a little silly to expect the cruise lines, or the nations they visit, to just drop everything right now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Ireland and Denmark are not repsrentative of all of Europe...so it is a little silly to expect the cruise lines, or the nations they visit, to just drop everything right now.

I agree. It would be silly now. I was looking toward the summer when RC have cruise ships in Europe. All I’m saying is that in my opinion it would be a mistake for RC not to follow the local restrictions as the situation improves, as we hope it does. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I don't care about the mask requirement, but I wish they's stop the pre testing, which is useless. If it shows negative today, you can be positive tomorrow, or even later that day.

But if you test positive within 2 days of sailing that would be helpful to know. 

• Like 2

We cruised on RC in November and December. Personally, I would like to see the continuation of Vaxxed and Non-vaxxed areas, which basically equals no mask and mask. If someone was particularly concerned, they could go to the masked areas. Have no problem with hallways, elevators, etc. requiring a mask. RC has the luxury of ships large enough and with a lot of venues where I think this could work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I don't care about the mask requirement, but I wish they's stop the pre testing, which is useless. If it shows negative today, you can be positive tomorrow, or even later that day.

But if you test positive today, you won't be brining COVID onboard the ship tomorrow. Which is a GREAT thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

Can i ask how the nightclub works? Is everyone inside no mask and vaxxed or do you have to put a mask on to move about the club or dancefloor etc?

Not long ago, to ensure social distancing, you had to dance only in the spot lights. The dot-police would push you into a dot if you strayed (like the people in the middle of the dance floor). 

image.png.f36da06ebca7e45f92efcb87b4e274e2.png

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

All I know is that I can hold a drink up to my mouth for an hour on a plane.  

Fly all the time, only had an issue on one. Flight Attendant trying to enforce take a bite, chew with mask on, repeat. Hard enough trying do this with my bag of Doritos but then my nice White Mask ended up with Cheesy dust and finger prints all over it. After few minutes I just gave up... Miss days when CV was new and first 6 Months Masking on Flights were not required. Got my Shots/Booster but counting days when Masking one first things to go on Ships and Flights, never soon enough for me!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

As you are curious, I'll report the situation in BC province.

Last heard, BC Public Health said that 42% of recent covid hospitalizations were not covid related. These people entered the hospital for non-covid illnesses, and tested positive.

Interesting, thanks for sharing that stat.  It would be interesting to know the same stat for the US, but I don't think we are reporting a difference between "with" or "due" in either hospitalizations or deaths.