Are the diamond drinks actual paper vouchers?

Bjbilly

14 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Why would you get a can of water? Even the inside cabins have a tap and you can get ice from your cabin steward/ess

14 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Your choice , my logic cannot possibly comprehend spending , vouchers or not , US $26  on something that is free out of a tap . 🙄

Because when I'm on a shore excursion, potable water is not always accessible, or comes with a charge.  But I can get a bottle/can of portable potable water for free with my voucher that I can then take on my shore excursion, so that's what I do, instead of having it go unused. 

Why should I spend money on a drink on shore when I don't have to?  

You do you, Boo.

7 hours ago, FireEMT978 said:

My understanding, is that the server that serves this "Voucher drink", also receives the "Credit" for the gratuity that would have been associated with a regular drink package purchase.

First time I have heard that one. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

We are not big drinkers and find that often drinks in Chops are not charged for. So 5/each is a lot. On the way back to our cabin we stop at a bar and get soda water, beer or soda. At the end of our last cruise we l left the cabin stewart a nice seller plus a free bottle of wine we never got to. My wife enjoys soda water instead of plain and I would never make it to dinner if I drank wine all day. So use soda water to make spritzers or have a few beers.

Please clarify "drinks in Chops are not charged."  That news to me.  Unless you are talking about the usage of drink vouchers in Chops.  Are we talking about water, iced tea, etc.

16 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Your choice , my logic cannot possibly comprehend spending , vouchers or not , US $26  on something that is free out of a tap . 🙄

Or paying, even the high price for the water, which is a LOT less than the $13 value of the voucher.  Unless you don't drink alcohol.

24 minutes ago, Greektreats said:

For sure I will tip when using the Diamond drink voucher on my upcoming cruise.......is $2 per drink an acceptable tip?

Whatever amount you are comfortable with. The voucher value is $13 per drink per RCCL. (Of course not all drinks carry that price, but that is the limit value).  So base it off that.  As purchased drinks typically include an 18% gratuity with the price, the $1 - $2 range per drink is fair IMO.  Our reason for always including a cash gratuity with our vouchered drinks is that although they are of no direct charge to us, the bartenders are still serving them, so a gratuity for this is certainly proper.  Simple enough but something that may be overlooked.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

Please clarify "drinks in Chops are not charged."  That news to me.  Unless you are talking about the usage of drink vouchers in Chops.  Are we talking about water, iced tea, etc.

I've had drinks in specialty restaurants not be charged. (in my case it was Izumi, not Chops). It's some sort of "special" the waiters make up on the spot, and then you basically tip them the price of the drink.  "Oh, sorry for the inconvenience of not having scallops to choose from, I didn't charge anyone for their drinks..." It's nice, but I wouldn't expect it.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, celoplyr said:

I've had drinks in specialty restaurants not be charged. (in my case it was Izumi, not Chops). It's some sort of "special" the waiters make up on the spot, and then you basically tip them the price of the drink.  "Oh, sorry for the inconvenience of not having scallops to choose from, I didn't charge anyone for their drinks..." It's nice, but I wouldn't expect it.  

Well I guess if you tip them the price of the drink you paid for it.  And what you describe is not a common practice in our experience - and we typically dine primarily at the SR's.  But to @nelblu's question, drinks most certainly are charged in the specialty restaurants unless vouchered or part of a drink package.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

We are not big drinkers and find that often drinks in Chops are not charged for. So 5/each is a lot. 

Confused by this.  What type of drinks are often not charged in Chops?  Certainly something new in our many years experiences in Chops. And what drinks are $5 each? - certainly not referring to alcohol based.

Please clarify. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

14 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Confused by this.  What type of drinks are often not charged in Chops?  Certainly something new in our many years experiences in Chops. And what drinks are $5 each? - certainly not referring to alcohol based.

Please clarify. 

5 drinks each; not $5.00.

Often wine and drink refillls there.

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

Because when I'm on a shore excursion, potable water is not always accessible, or comes with a charge.  But I can get a bottle/can of portable potable water for free with my voucher that I can then take on my shore excursion, so that's what I do, instead of having it go unused. 

Why should I spend money on a drink on shore when I don't have to?  

You do you, Boo.

Exactly 

1 hour ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Do you take an interest in your waiter? It helps!

Really?  Yeah that would be something I have learned over the past 30 years of cruising.😉  It's also just courteous to them to recognize their services to you without the expectation of a personal gain.

My point is to @nelblu, to whom I was initially responding in question to your comments, was that drinks are indeed charged on a regular basis in Chops, and that drinks at N/C are not a common practice or policy of that venue (or other SR's). 

Certainly "taking an interest in your waiter" may provide certain benefits - and you raise specific points of practices you've been involved with that have worked to your favor.  (Assuming buying the value of your drink through a gratuity is seen as a plus).  Those are just your individual anecdotes that don't represent the common practice of the venues in question. 

And that is all I am trying to express.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only drink one or two alcohol drinks a day.  This may blow some peoples minds:  I use the other four vouchers for water for washing my hair. I find the water on the ship makes my hair unmanageable.

Edited by gadaboutgal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, js1357 said:

Can you get more than one beer and keep them unopened?

Absolutely.  Do it all the time.  Near the end of the day we will stop at one of the bars and check for any remaining vouchers as they expire each day, and will then take any remaining beers (my typical drink of choice) or Truly's (one of my wife's choices) back to the room unopened and keep them in the room cooler for another time.

But you can do this at any venue any time with the vouchers - or any beverage purchase for that matter.