When will covid test stop being required?

B113

Even if tests are no longer required by the CDC and other countries’ health authorities, Royal may choose to keep them for now if it believes that would give more people confidence to book as opposed to putting them off.

AFAIK the UK government no longer requires cruise passengers to be tested - yet Cunard, P&O etc are still insisting on it.

• Like 5

It's not just what the CDC says, but the cruise lines still need to follow the requirements of the countries in which they port. Wouldn't make sense to drop the testing requirement to board if it means that many passengers wouldn't be able to get off the ship on port days.

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

Even if tests are no longer required by the CDC and other countries’ health authorities, Royal may choose to keep them for now if it believes that would give more people confidence to book as opposed to putting them off.

AFAIK the UK government no longer requires cruise passengers to be tested - yet Cunard, P&O etc are still insisting on it.

In my opinion there’s a tipping point for this where testing drives more people away, than it attracts. As time goes on, that tipping point will veer more towards relaxing testing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If the governments want to have a good summer vacation season, maybe June 1st, if we get past that and there is no change to testing, I would guess beginning of next year.

Edited by binro01
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, binro01 said:

If the governments want to have a good summer vacation season, maybe June 1st, if we get past that and there is no change to testing, I would guess beginning of next year.

I don't care what kind of summer vacation the "government" wants...they can do and go wherever they want if they have the vacation time.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I bet 2023 at the earliest. The CDC will make sure of it, even though travel testing has proven to be a huge waste of time all over the world.

I’m genuinely curious about the CDC influence. When it comes to sailing outside of the US, how much do you feel RC will stick to what keeps the CDC happy?

Another good sign is I saw online that crew members are now allowed to get off ship at certain ports and relax, shop, whatever.     They must be thrilled!

And if they test positive but remain asymptomatic they only have to quarantine for 3 days.   I am sure this is helping with any anxiety crew members have had about their weekly testing.

I predict testing will be gone by summer as long as no nasty mutants show up😁

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

When it comes to sailing outside of the US, how much do you feel RC will stick to what keeps the CDC happy?

None, but as RCI has found in Hong Kong, there are places where the local gov't rules are even worse than the CDC ones.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

And if they test positive but remain asymptomatic they only have to quarantine for 3 days.   I am sure this is helping with any anxiety crew members have had about their weekly testing.

Quarantine for a positive test hasn't changed, only their sign-on quarantine. New crew who are joining a ship and tested negative in their sign-on test need only quarantine for 3 days if they remain asymptomatic after joining the ship. They won't need a negative test to be released from their initial quarantine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xtremegk said:

Quarantine for a positive test hasn't changed, only their sign-on quarantine. New crew who are joining a ship and tested negative in their sign-on test need only quarantine for 3 days if they remain asymptomatic after joining the ship. They won't need a negative test to be released from their initial quarantine.

I guess I heard wrong then. TY for clarifying.  At least that is a step in the right direction.