• Reduced service
    • Shore excursions
    • Other - please describe
  3. 3. What was better than expected

• Lack of crowds
    • Improved service
    • Just being on vacation
    • Other - please describe

I just got back from my first cruise and I am still deciding what I thought.  I am certainly happy that I went, but it seemed to me that the lines are in a rebuilding phase and not everything is all back.  The plus was that the staff onboard was really appreciative that the business was returning and were very appreciative to be working again.  Same holds true in the ports as they also have gone through lots of pain.

What did you all think?  Was it better or worse than you thought going in and why?

• Like 2

I'll answer this question/poll based on my first cruise since the pandemic on the Celebrity Summit back in September.  We had only 320 passengers and 750 crew on a ship that could fit 2200 and 1000, respectively.

At this time there were no masks required, which I really liked.  This was my introduction to Abbott's at-home proctored test, which went quite well across the board.  But neither of those experiences were what I selected.  I thought the best thing was the lack of crowds and how that made things relatively easy for the crew to provide me with high-quality service when I wanted it.

Perversely, I also thought the lack of crowds was the biggest negative.  There was a distinct lack of buzz around the ship that made the journey even more sedate than it would ordinarily have been.  Also, after spending time in various places where there was no one but crew within 20 feet of you and no one walking by, it makes you think something is wrong with you - even though it couldn't possibly be true.  Anyway, I'm making more of a big deal of it than it was because everything else was near flawless.

My second cruise on Princess in December was distinctly more crowded even though it was still about 25% occupied by passengers.  And I have two cruises coming up in the next month.  We'll see how things go on those.

I've had 3 on carnival and then 3 on rcl. I still hate masks and glad they are mostly going away. Too much service on my last rcl. Drove me crazy to keep being asked if there was something else I wanted. Leave me alone and let me eat. 

No idea how to answer that poll. I was mostly happy except with the Mdr on carnival for dinner. I ate in pay restaurants every night but lobster night on vista. Food seems cut back in quality. 

Right close in still some bargains but prices are on the rise what I'm booking.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

No idea how to answer that poll.

no worries - I was curious how others saw it.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Right close in still some bargains but prices are on the rise what I'm booking.

Agreed - there seems to be tons of pent up demand.  I will be good as my other cruises were locked in a while ago based on my estimate of cruising opening back up.

6 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

At this time there were no masks required, which I really liked

We had masks required indoors.  It was more annoying than I thought.

I also thought the lack of crowds was the biggest negative

I could see how this would change things.

And I have two cruises coming up in the next month.  We'll see how things go on those.

I think you will see much bigger crowds as more people are willing to venture out.

• Like 1

We sailed on RC last week (Enchantment).  It was one of the best cruises we've taken.  I think we got in at the Sweet Spot: perhaps 40% of passenger capacity, and full crew.  Always enough people around to feel festive, but never any crowding in WJ or elsewhere.  We loved the extra attention from crew, and the opportunity to chat with them when they had a pause in their duties.  The food, overall, was excellent, a step up from previous cruises.  We felt very fortunate to have been aboard at just the right time, even though the testing, and then the last-minute weather, were very stressful.

We came home and booked another for June, and will do further ones in September and November.  Although I expect to enjoy them greatly, I feel like there will never be another such perfect moment in time.

28 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The food, overall, was excellent, a step up from previous cruises. 

Our food last week was also good.  We were at just about 60% capacity.  The hotel crew was still not at full strength according to our waiter.  The crew removed lots of chairs from the pool deck to minimize crowding outside.  The only busy spot were the pools on sea days.

31 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

It was one of the best cruises we've taken... I feel like there will never be another such perfect moment in time.

Glad you felt that way.  

One more thing - the supply chain issues seem to have cut back on the junk t-shirt and other sales.  I think the lines are having some trouble stocking the usual tourist merchandise.

We've cruised twice since the restart, and the worst thing I have to say is that the lack of crowds has left me a bit worried that I'll be sad when normal passenger counts return. Other than that, it was great. Masks simply weren't a big deal.

• Like 2

Overall, we were super-glad to return to the sea. We can't wait to do it again.

The reduced crowds were a blessing and a curse. Great for wanting to secure spots at venues with traditionally limited seats. Dinner service was also speedy. It was not so great when the ship felt like a ghost town at night.

I could also do without the masking. I didn't really see many problems with "reduced service". Sure some things weren't exactly how they were. There was plenty of options and plenty of service for me to find any issues here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I have to say is that the lack of crowds has left me a bit worried that I'll be sad when normal passenger counts return

This is probably a common reaction.  The ship we were on was about 60% full and on sea days the outdoor pools were jammed.

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I didn't really see many problems with "reduced service".

I was trying to come up with some possible negatives.  The major negative for me was the uncertainty around passing the test before leaving for the cruise.  Second was the masking on board whenever inside including on the dance floor.

Edited by SelectSys

On last week's cruise we saw something we've never seen before:  No lines at Guest Services.  A short line upon boarding; maybe people hoping for upgrades?  After that, every time we passed, we could see one or more crew behind the counter, ropes in place.....and no passengers.  Ever.

I am pretty impressed that among those polled, only one person so far said that the cruise was worse than expected.  I would take this as a sign that the cruise lines are doing well in managing the comeback.

On 2/25/2022 at 4:01 AM, shipgeeks said:

No lines at Guest Services.

Our cruise did have a line at Guest Services from time to time.   

• Like 1

1st cruise back.. oasis...being on a ship with less than 2K when 6K is capacity spoiled us so badly! got to see aqua show 2x and had very attentive service with the suite.. masks sucked but not the end of the world. hard to get buffet seat but not the end of the world. the escape room was tons of fun and coco cay was too. and i'm not a beach person

2nd cruise NCL to bermuda, no masks! freedom! less than half capacity. fantastic. only downside was 3 hours to get tested before the cruise. my gf was a 1st timer and i told her she would never have a ship this empty again. 

Our first cruise back was Carnival Mardi Gras in October.  We loved the new ship.  We loved being back to sea.  We didn't mind the testing but didn't like the masks.  We didn't stay in ports long because we didn't like being masked up outside when we could be the ship either outside or at the bars with our masks off.

Our next cruise is next month on NCL.  Looking forward to cruising without those masks.  Still may not be getting off the ship for long if we are still going to be required to wear the masks at them.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, luckyinpa said:

1st cruise back.. oasis...being on a ship with less than 2K when 6K is capacity spoiled us so badly! got to see aqua show 2x and had very attentive service with the suite.. masks sucked but not the end of the world. hard to get buffet seat but not the end of the world. the escape room was tons of fun and coco cay was too. and i'm not a beach person

2nd cruise NCL to bermuda, no masks! freedom! less than half capacity. fantastic. only downside was 3 hours to get tested before the cruise. my gf was a 1st timer and i told her she would never have a ship this empty again. 

Question -- if only 1/3 capacity, why was it hard to get a buffet seat?  

The smaller crowds are definitely a silver lining.  Your second cruise sounds terrific!  

We just returned from our second sailing on Legend, having sailed the first sailing since she returned to service. In November we sailed at 60% capacity and our last sailing was at 110%. The protocols remained the same. I will be glad when we can cruise without tests (too much stress for many) and of course masking it quickly going away. Our last sailing was one of the last with mandatory testing and while everyone knew this most people were still compliant with the requirement.

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

The smaller crowds are definitely a silver lining.  Your second cruise sounds terrific!  

they closed off a crazy amount of seating. one entire corner was closed off at the rear. they did let a wheelchair in to sit there so maybe thats what its for. there's zero chance of getting a seat if they have full capacity and block off any tables. to me, if they allow full capacity there needs to be zero distancing on the ship or no one will be able to see a show etc etc. 

regarding 2nd cruise we are going on her sister ship this sunday but in haven so now my gf will have another first crossed off the list. haven always is full but rest of the ship still should be low capacity

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Our last sailing was one of the last with mandatory testing and while everyone knew this most people were still compliant with the requirement.

Did you mean to say mandatory MASKING?

On 2/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, luckyinpa said:

1st cruise back.. oasis...being on a ship with less than 2K when 6K is capacity spoiled us so badly! got to see aqua show 2x and had very attentive service with the suite.. masks sucked but not the end of the world.

That was exactly my opinion after my Ovation cruise in October.  I was spoiled by the 40% capacity.   It was a fabulous cruise; one that I hope to repeat in May on Quantum.  

On 3/3/2022 at 9:10 PM, ldubs said:

In addition to social distancing of tables, our waiters indicated that the hotel staff is also reduced to correspond to the number of passengers on board.

• Thanks 1