Info about Canada's new covid rules for Cruise ships?

Harrylinden

For those flying into Vancouver (Alaska / Hawaii / Pacific Coastal) and need any tests prior to embarkation, we found a clinic at YVR which was easy peasy to book and reasonably priced:
https://covid-medical.ca/#covidtestpricing

We had our appointments booked when we arrived (2 days prior to embarkation); but easily revised them to 1 day prior to embarkation (*minor* inconvenience of having to go back to the airport!) to comply with the CA Guidance (vs. HAL policy).

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, broberts said:

Worse than I hoped. I suspect it is going to kill another season of Canadian cruising. I don't see how a ship can perform 3500+ antigen tests in 31 hours at a reasonable cost.

Especially if we only are stopping in Vancouver for 4 hours.

1 hour ago, gilboman said:

For Canadians (and maybe Americans), you can just use your free rapid tests and get it proctored online..$20 for first person and $5 for each additional one as long as the tests are approved by health Canada

https://lifecenters.ca/

That's very interesting.  Have you used the site?  It certainly would make life easier!

• Like 1

Not that I take AK cruises for a Canadian port, so I won't be too disappointed if I can't get off, but am I understanding this correctly that I will need to take a test on the ship in order the debark in Victoria?  The stop is at the end of the cruise and therefore about 8 days since my test to board.  

Just now, Aquahound said:

Not that I take AK cruises for a Canadian port, so I won't be too disappointed if I can't get off, but am I understanding this correctly that I will need to take a test on the ship in order the debark in Victoria?  The stop is at the end of the cruise and therefore about 8 days since my test to board.  

I do believe so - testing on the ship is free and quick.  But things change, I'm hoping testing won't be required in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

That's very interesting.  Have you used the site?  It certainly would make life easier!

Not that one as I just recently found out about it but others have and reported no issues. Just bear in mind their hours are mountain time and not 24/7 like switch health

Definitely will consider using for my May cruise out of Vancouver just for ease of being able to do it online at home with tests we already have 

You can find list of approved tests to be proctored remotely here (quickvue ones I bought online early on from states also approved )

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/medical-devices/authorized/list.html

Edited by gilboman

5 hours ago, broberts said:

Worse than I hoped. I suspect it is going to kill another season of Canadian cruising. I don't see how a ship can perform 3500+ antigen tests in 31 hours at a reasonable cost.

What HAL ship is sailing with 3500 passengers?  NONE.

If the precautions remain in place, I suspect the ships will not sail full.

these are rapid tests - not PCR - I think you are being pessimistic.

It’s only March - a lot can change between now and when the Alaska season starts.  Don’t be such a grinch 😉 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

What HAL ship is sailing with 3500 passengers?  NONE.

If the precautions remain in place, I suspect the ships will not sail full.

these are rapid tests - not PCR - I think you are being pessimistic.

It’s only March - a lot can change between now and when the Alaska season starts.  Don’t be such a grinch 😉 

The number I used included crew. But I take your point about sailing less than full. Of course how profitable is sailing well below capacity?

Collection procedures are not materially different between antigen and molecular testing.

Not trying to be a Grinch, just don't think compliance is going to be easy or inexpensive.

Edited by broberts

17 hours ago, Aquahound said:

For RT Seattle cruises,  my question would be if we will have the option to stay on board at Victoria and not test.    Also wondering if there is still the chance of bypassing Canada like they did last year.    I would prefer that, as last year they extended the time in Ketchikan by a few hours.   

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Nothing to upload.  Just answer yes or no.

7251646C-5732-4872-84DF-6B656897A121.thumb.jpeg.064b30d73362163d267627b2b6a7af25.jpeg

What about the 14 day quarantine plan ? What address is a disembarking cruise passenger in Vancouver suppose use for that requirement ?

2 minutes ago, srpilo said:

What about the 14 day quarantine plan ? What address is a disembarking cruise passenger in Vancouver suppose use for that requirement ?

There's a pretty good chance that the app will be updated and tweaked to account for the recent announcement. The cruise line might supply an address for one of their contracted hotels, or something similar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, srpilo said:

I pick a suitable hotel and enter that address.  If HAL puts you up in a different hotel that you’re happy with then you change the address.

1 hour ago, srpilo said:

you just need to provide a hotel/address of where you'll stay should you test positive. that's all they need. you don't even need to have it booked obviously 

Edited by gilboman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So If and that's a big IF someone tests positive on the ship or on the land part of a vacation, does Holland America pay for the hotel for the 14 days or are we responsible for that? Curious as to who pays for what while on a land/cruise vacation beginning and ending in Vancouver?

5 hours ago, Harrylinden said:

So If and that's a big IF someone tests positive on the ship or on the land part of a vacation, does Holland America pay for the hotel for the 14 days or are we responsible for that? Curious as to who pays for what while on a land/cruise vacation beginning and ending in Vancouver?

At least for now, the answer is yes. You either stay at their contracted hotel or you find an alternate hotel and get reimbursed, but only as much as the rate at their contracted hotel. It’s under the FAQ section of the COVID 19 Protection Program on the website . 

On 3/2/2022 at 7:32 PM, lderochi said:

I believe that currently HAL takes care of testing for any passengers who require it at disembarkation. From the FAQ If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Holland America Line administer and cover the cost of the test?

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Holland America Line will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test after your cruise outside the terminal. 

Unfortunately, this won't do it as Canada requires the test to take place one day before arrival in Canada.  People seem to be missing that point.  Not a problem to do this but what happens if you test positive.?  That's the big question. 

On 3/4/2022 at 3:35 PM, XLVIII said:

The Canadian Transportation Minister will be making an announcement Monday March 7 about the upcoming Canadian cruise season. Hopefully all testing requirement questions will be addressed then. 🤞🤞🤞

Unfortunately, his announcement just raised more questions.  They don't want us travelling anywhere, they want us to spend our money in Canada.

44 minutes ago, darstamp said:

Unfortunately, this won't do it as Canada requires the test to take place one day before arrival in Canada.  People seem to be missing that point.  Not a problem to do this but what happens if you test positive.?  That's the big question. 

It's no different than testing positive before a cruise out of Port Everglades.

If you are arriving on a cruise the ship will arrange quarantine quarters.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, broberts said:

It's no different than testing positive before a cruise out of Port Everglades.

If you are arriving on a cruise the ship will arrange quarantine quarters.

I'm sorry I was not clear enough.  We are supposed to test one day before the ship arrives back in Canada.  What happens if we test positive. We are both Canadians and I live in Vancouver.  I believe this will be a question for many of the passengers.

27 minutes ago, darstamp said:

I'm sorry I was not clear enough.  We are supposed to test one day before the ship arrives back in Canada.  What happens if we test positive. We are both Canadians and I live in Vancouver.  I believe this will be a question for many of the passengers.

The cruise ship will make quarantine arrangements for any positive passenger. Presumably at a local hotel. Hopefully cruise lines will publish details, including who pays, before cruises start.

1 hour ago, darstamp said:

We've discussed this in the Canadian forum...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

I live in Vancouver and have three doses. I'm be happy to sail again. No problem with a test at 72 hours, test at the pier, and test before disembarkation.

Under the rules, I'll be able to isolate at home should I test positive. I can't use public transport to get home. But, I can be picked up by a private car. I assume that Uber qualifies as a private hire.

Let's sail!!!

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Under the rules, I'll be able to isolate at home should I test positive. I can't use public transport to get home. But, I can be picked up by a private car. I assume that Uber qualifies as a private hire.

Do you have a link to the section that details this?