Power outlets around bed on Princess ships?

kywildcatfanone

It seems to me that on the Sky a couple of years ago, they had outlets built into the lamp by the bed which you could use, but it seemed to me on ships older than that you had no outlet near the bed?  Is that true? 

Royal/Regal

Crown/Emerald/Ruby

Caribbean

This thread has some details on grand class ships.

There is a 220v outlet behind the bed, that the nightstand lamp is plugged into.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2715497-stateroom-outlets-ruby/?tab=comments#comment-58934998

I don't remember checking on Royal/Regal.  Sorry.

Edited by Roberto256

On the Majestic in a mini- suite there is a European outlet under the bed, I used an adapter and then crawled under the bed to plug in a device. My steward came by and offered help but I had already completed my task.

2 hours ago, ghgeckos said:

On the Majestic in a mini- suite there is a European outlet under the bed, I used an adapter and then crawled under the bed to plug in a device. My steward came by and offered help but I had already completed my task.

That is a good excuse to remember if I ever hit the 15 drink maximum and have fallen on the floor!  "I'm just plugging a device into this 220 volt outlet".

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Was just going to ask this same question about the Royal class ships. I'll add my query to this thread. We are sailing on Discovery and was wondering the same thing. If memory serves, the Ruby had electrical outlets near the desk. Took a 10 foot cable to allow ease of use. Was hoping for a USB port (or outlet) on the nightstand where many of us keep our phones. (I use mine as a clock) Also think using USB ports are safer (more efficient) than having everyone plug into a charger. Curious where the hookups might be on Discovery.

USB ports on the bedside lamps seems to be hit or miss. Some ships have them in all cabins, some are in some cabins and some ships have none (?). Since the pause, there may be more than not.

@cruisingram1 We were on the Ruby about 4 years ago (inside, aft) and had USB ports. Others reported same ship/no USB.

Every Princess ship I have been on (admittedly, not all...) have had 220 volt outlets behind the bed.  I pull the bed out and use an adapter to use with my CPAP.  On the Sky just about 3 weeks ago (mini-suite) I was surprised to find the outlet had nothing plugged into it.  In the past the lamp had always been plugged in there.  They are apparently hardwired now.  So...I did not need to use a dual outlet style adapter to keep the lamp plugged in.  I had a "dedicated" outlet.

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

It seems to me that on the Sky a couple of years ago, they had outlets built into the lamp by the bed which you could use, but it seemed to me on ships older than that you had no outlet near the bed?  Is that true? 

Royal/Regal

Crown/Emerald/Ruby

Caribbean

Pretty sure there were USB ports bedside on Enchanted. There was nothing near the beds on Regal last week. Used an extension cord plugged in at the desk. 

14 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Pretty sure there were USB ports bedside on Enchanted. There was nothing near the beds on Regal last week. Used an extension cord plugged in at the desk. 

We've sailed on the Regal. There were outlets behind the bed.  You have to go actively looking for them i.e. pull the bed away from the wall.  It all depends on what you need it for.  If it's just for USB charging ports...yes, they are now built in to the lamps (most ships, anyway).  If you need it for a CPAP then I much prefer to do a little bit of "engineering" so that you don't have an extension cord running across your cabin floor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We've sailed on the Regal. There were outlets behind the bed.  You have to go actively looking for them i.e. pull the bed away from the wall.  It all depends on what you need it for.  If it's just for USB charging ports...yes, they are now built in to the lamps (most ships, anyway).  If you need it for a CPAP then I much prefer to do a little bit of "engineering" so that you don't have an extension cord running across your cabin floor.

Thanks. I even tried that, pulling back the mattress and bed and did not locate them. Must have been well hidden (or I didnt look hard enough!)

11 minutes ago, Joy12345 said:

What is the voltage of those European outlets by the desk?  Will an adapter be sufficient or do we need a voltage converter to bring it down to 110V?

European voltage is 220 volts (or close) You just need an adapter...not a converter.  Almost all devices now are "dual voltage" meaning that they sense what is being input and adjust accordingly.  But...you should make sure before plugging anything in!  Look on the device spec label.  It should say what voltages it will work with.  Phone chargers and CPAP machines are almost universally dual voltage.  Anything else...check now (at home) so you can plan accordingly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Here's an interesting site that addresses a lot of this:

https://emmacruises.com/cruise-ship-plug-socket-guide/

Thanks.  I looked at Emma's site before, but it just says "European".  Per the Amazon Basics version listed below, at these type E/F, or Type C?  Want to make sure I get the right one.

-Amazon Basics 3-Pack Travel Plug Adapter Type E/F, Europe - France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania and Spain

-Amazon Basics 3-Pack Travel Plug Adapter Type C, Europe - Italy, Iceland, Austria and More

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VZNHJ53/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

50 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Thanks.  I looked at Emma's site before, but it just says "European".  Per the Amazon Basics version listed below, at these type E/F, or Type C?  Want to make sure I get the right one.

-Amazon Basics 3-Pack Travel Plug Adapter Type E/F, Europe - France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania and Spain

-Amazon Basics 3-Pack Travel Plug Adapter Type C, Europe - Italy, Iceland, Austria and More

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VZNHJ53/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Use the E/F type. The others *might* work but I have the E/F type and have never had issues. 

• Like 1

We were just on the Emerald.  I didn’t know to look behind the bed for a plug.   (I do now 😀).  I used a small portable charger.  I would charge it during the day and use it to charge my phone at night. That worked great for me. 

19 hours ago, Joy12345 said:

What is the voltage of those European outlets by the desk?  Will an adapter be sufficient or do we need a voltage converter to bring it down to 110V?

Depends on what you're planning to plug in. Many electronics that are sold internationally are dual voltage.

You have to be careful w/converters. Years ago, I had a customer who was going on a 2-week vacation in Europe. Here CPAP had fuses (110V for the US). When she told me about her trip, I gave her the 220V fuses & showed her how to change them. Her FIRST night in London, the hotel loaned her a converter (I think she asked, maybe forgetting my detailed explanation re: fuses), plugged in her CPAP and killed it. She spent the whole 2 weeks without her CPAP.

33 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Depends on what you're planning to plug in. Many electronics that are sold internationally are dual voltage.

You have to be careful w/converters. Years ago, I had a customer who was going on a 2-week vacation in Europe. Here CPAP had fuses (110V for the US). When she told me about her trip, I gave her the 220V fuses & showed her how to change them. Her FIRST night in London, the hotel loaned her a converter (I think she asked, maybe forgetting my detailed explanation re: fuses), plugged in her CPAP and killed it. She spent the whole 2 weeks without her CPAP.

This is my fear, so I use a cord and duct tape on the floor. 

All I want to do is charge my phone and have it near the bed. Was hoping for USBs on the lamps or in the vicinity of the bed so I don't have to run a 10 ft cable across the room. We'll be on Discovery - the newest of the Princess ships - so hopefully these lamps are similar to those found in the hotels we've been to recently. Will report back upon our return.