"Within 3 Days" Covid Test Explanation?

nini

This testing and logistics is stressful! If I had known then, what I know now, then we would have just flown into London the day before embarkation and saved a TON of money! We could have tested at home and then boarded the plane with peace of mind.

Anyway, I realize that the 3 days does not mean 72 hours, nor does the 2 days mean 48 hours.

If we board on a Monday, when would the 2 or 3 day count begin? Thanks!

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

23 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I think it would be Friday for three days and Saturday for two. I'm basing that on the fact that we got our two days out test on Thursday for a Saturday departure. 

Agree with Sea Hag. Rather than rely on CC answers, call your TA or Princess!

• Like 1

Just now, cnd crsr said:

Agree with Sea Hag. Rather than rely on CC answers, call your TA or Princess!

I have and they remain sort of clueless so I wanted real life experiences.

• Like 1

If your cruise starts on Monday then 2 days is Saturday and 3 days is Friday

Be careful though

For our March 25 cruise out of the LA PORT We received an email saying it MUST be 2 days out ,not 3 even for fully vaxed and boostered folks

This email is causing a lot of confusion!

19 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Be careful though

For our March 25 cruise out of the LA PORT We received an email saying it MUST be 2 days out ,not 3 even for fully vaxed and boostered folks

The latest on their website is below. We're fully vaccinated and boosted, so for us it's either Antigen or PCR within 3 days. But I'd go with what your email says, if it's really recent, just to be safe.

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

Fully Vaccinated

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

19 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

The latest on their website is below. We're fully vaccinated and boosted, so for us it's either Antigen or PCR within 3 days. But I'd go with what your email says, if it's really recent, just to be safe.

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

Fully Vaccinated

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

Yes, I posted it above in Post #1. We fall under the first category. We DID NOT receive an e-mail. I had to go hunting for this on their website. AND, you can do the test just before boarding. That is why the interpretation is crazy.

12 minutes ago, nini said:

Yes, I posted it above in Post #1. We fall under the first category. We DID NOT receive an e-mail. I had to go hunting for this on their website. AND, you can do the test just before boarding. That is why the interpretation is crazy.

Yes, I know you did. You posted in the part with your situation. I posted in the whole thing in case somebody else into the same category, as riffatsea might do. It's all pretty confusing. The only part of it that I don't find confusing is the part about testing just before boarding. I take the "Within" part to encompass the entire timeframe from two/three days out until just before boarding. It seems logical to me that testing just before boarding falls into the requirements. This will probably all change over the next few weeks anyway.

• Like 1

At least in the States, The proctored home tests make this reasonable simple.  No hassles scheduling an appointment, no need to travel to a test facility.

I tested on the smart phone at 1:00 am on Thursday for a Saturday cruise.

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I think it would be Friday for three days and Saturday for two. I'm basing that on the fact that we got our two days out test on Thursday for a Saturday departure. 

Agree 

for Monday boarding.

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Ditto for my March 30 cruise out of Fort Lauderdale...

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

Yes, I know you did. You posted in the part with your situation. I posted in the whole thing in case somebody else into the same category, as riffatsea might do. It's all pretty confusing. The only part of it that I don't find confusing is the part about testing just before boarding. I take the "Within" part to encompass the entire timeframe from two/three days out until just before boarding. It seems logical to me that testing just before boarding falls into the requirements. This will probably all change over the next few weeks anyway.

Oh, @Sea Hag I so very much hope you are correct about a "positive" change in the next few weeks!

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Be careful though

1 hour ago, NRWPA said:

Ditto for my March 30 cruise out of Fort Lauderdale...

How far ahead of sailing did you get the email?

6 hours ago, nini said:

This testing and logistics is stressful! If I had known then, what I know now, then we would have just flown into London the day before embarkation and saved a TON of money! We could have tested at home and then boarded the plane with peace of mind.

Anyway, I realize that the 3 days does not mean 72 hours, nor does the 2 days mean 48 hours.

If we board on a Monday, when would the 2 or 3 day count begin? Thanks!

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

Fully Vaccinated

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

This appears in the FAQs directly below the table you’ve posted. Extrapolating to your Monday sailing, 3 days would be Friday and 2 days would be Saturday. 

As an example, for a fully vaccinated guest sailing on Sunday, the 2-day antigen test may be taken on Friday or Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

6 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Oh, @Sea Hag I so very much hope you are correct about a "positive" change in the next few weeks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, travellingnana said:

How far ahead of sailing did you get the email?

Received March 16 (I've received nothing further other than my Medallion since then) for March 30 sailing, titled "Emergency-Notification":

IMPORTANT REMINDERS FOR YOUR CRUISE
It's almost time for your cruise vacation! Please make sure you remember to:
- Download the MedallionClass app to complete all required check-in items.
- Complete online cruise check-in and the mandatory Health Questionnaire (MUST be completed by each guest at least 24 hours before your cruise).
- Bring your original proof of COVID-19 vaccination and a negative viral
COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of cruise check-in.
- Select an arrival time to the pier on the MedallionClass app. For the health and safety of all, do not arrive prior to your assigned check-in time or you will be asked to return at the correct time.
- Bring a mask to wear at cruise check-in and as required on board and in ports as this may be a requirement even for those who are fully vaccinated

I’m very confused about how soon we must get our test next week! One place it says 3 days before and in another it says 2 days. I know smartest move us to stay with 2 days test IF I can find one. It’s ridiculous that we might have to resort to home proctored test because of the lack of clarity in the passenger information.

5 hours ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

I’m very confused about how soon we must get our test next week! One place it says 3 days before and in another it says 2 days. I know smartest move us to stay with 2 days test IF I can find one. It’s ridiculous that we might have to resort to home proctored test because of the lack of clarity in the passenger information.

There are charts on the Princess website, depending on where you sail from. However, I think they are the same.

We sailed on March 12th and emails and booking all said we needed a negative covid test within 2 days.  HOWEVER, the Princess policy changed to the 3-day “Up to Date” so we got the test on Wednesday and boarded on Saturday.  Results were checked by a number of people at different stages and all four of us boarded without a problem.  I did take a screenshot of the new policy, just in case, but didn’t need it.

30 minutes ago, nini said:

There are charts on the Princess website, depending on where you sail from. However, I think they are the same.

my cruise is out of Vancouver BC in May.

what is the testing requirement there for the cruise?  Not flight. 

24 minutes ago, dog said:

my cruise is out of Vancouver BC in May.

what is the testing requirement there for the cruise?  Not flight. 

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Barter123 said:

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.

Hope the switch test is accepted by cruise line. Vancouver tests are very expensive