Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

As of this morning, second boosters were approved for anyone over 50. I had an appointment for mine this morning (I have a lousy immune system), and Hubby came with me. Because of today's news, he was allowed to get one, too. 

I got mine today as we're boarding Ruby in two weeks. DH will get his tonight. I didn't waste any time when they offered the second booster to 50+! Our previous booster was six months ago, so we're extremely happy to have this extra protection for our cruise.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

More seriously, if you are at a resort in a foreign country or even in your home country, checking out early only works if you can drive back to your home.  If you have to catch a flight you are in a similar predicament.

You could always find another place on land to stay.

28 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

It appears that I will have to drop it from the deck above, ninja style … only because of the alarm.  We’ve also opened the fire doors before but no alarm sounded.  😂 

No judgement from me … ever!  I would go to the ends of the earth to make sure my friends and family had something to eat!  

I'm just curious.  How many of the people on any cruise ship's quarantine quarters starved to death?  Is it really necessary to break the Covid rules so one can be Spiderman or a Mutant Ninja Turtle?  After you've left the Covid passageway, how many people can you infect after your visit?

You would be much more of a hero if you were to rappel from a helicopter and winch up your loved one to get them out of the horrid conditions they're suffering under... 🪂  🚁  🥰 

Edited by Daniel A
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm just curious.  How many of the people on any cruise ship's quarantine quarters starved to death?  Is it really necessary to break the Covid rules so one can be spiderman or a mutant ninja turtle?  After you've left the Covid passageway, how many people can you infect after your visit?

There is an expectation that if in quarantine, there would be plenty of food choices readily available with minimal wait time in receiving it. Unless there is a staff shortage, which PC probably wouldn't tell you.  

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Actually, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. 🇲🇽

(Sorry. I couldn’t resist). 

I fully agree with your post though. I do feel a little like I’m waiting for a shoe to drop while on board. Understanding that there may be risks, and entering an already risky environment are two different things. 

is there an atmosphere on board or do you feel that way because you are aware that there have been cases on board?   Take care 

1 hour ago, Sunwanabe said:

Exactly. If I could drive home I would take that course of action.

I take cruises from my home port of SF, what I understood is folks who could drive themselves home were free to do so.   This is common sense.

• Like 3

Currently on the Ruby.........husband is on day 4 of quarantine....... I went for my day 4 test today and the medical personel ran out and caught me as I was getting on the elevator and told me I was positive within minutes of testing.

I have gone to the same cabin as my husband.  The first 3 days he had a terrible time getting through to room service and ordering food but after several trips by me to guest services they have finally got it worked out.  The maitre 'd has called twice and apologized and someone now calls and ask for order and what time he (now we) wants our next call/meal.  Glad they finally got it worked out!!!!  The first few days was frustrating to say the least.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Joy_K said:

Currently on the Ruby.........husband is on day 4 of quarantine....... I went for my day 4 test today and the medical personel ran out and caught me as I was getting on the elevator and told me I was positive within minutes of testing.

I have gone to the same cabin as my husband.  The first 3 days he had a terrible time getting through to room service and ordering food but after several trips by me to guest services they have finally got it worked out.  The maitre 'd has called twice and apologized and someone now calls and ask for order and what time he (now we) wants our next call/meal.  Glad they finally got it worked out!!!!  The first few days was frustrating to say the least.

Thank you so very much for keeping us updated on this. I am incredibly happy to hear that the food situation has been sorted out. Everyone currently in quarantine & everyone who goes into quarantine in the future owes you a debt of gratitude for bringing that issue to the forefront and getting management involved. 
I sincerely hope you don’t feel poorly during your quarantine.  Please let us know how it all goes. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I'm just curious.  How many of the people on any cruise ship's quarantine quarters starved to death?  Is it really necessary to break the Covid rules so one can be Spiderman or a Mutant Ninja Turtle?  After you've left the Covid passageway, how many people can you infect after your visit?

You would be much more of a hero if you were to rappel from a helicopter and winch up your loved one to get them out of the horrid conditions they're suffering under... 🪂  🚁  🥰 

Generally healthy people, even those with COVID can survive missing a meal or two. Diabetics may not have that much of a margin.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joy_K said:

I went for my day 4 test today and the medical personel ran out and caught me as I was getting on the elevator and told me I was positive within minutes of testing.

Sorry to hear you tested positive.  I hope you have mild symptoms.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I took this as light hearted but in terms of how many people I would infect from the Covid passageway, I can assure you that going into the buffet or sitting in the theater probably carries just as much risk.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Level six said:

Sorry to hear you tested positive.  I hope you have mild symptoms.  Good luck. 

23 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thank you so very much for keeping us updated on this. I am incredibly happy to hear that the food situation has been sorted out. Everyone currently in quarantine & everyone who goes into quarantine in the future owes you a debt of gratitude for bringing that issue to the forefront and getting management involved. 
I sincerely hope you don’t feel poorly during your quarantine.  Please let us know how it all goes. 

Do you have a balcony ?  Just curious if you can get some fresh air?  Stay positive and take care 

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I’d be interested in what would happen if you got caught it there.  Hopefully anyone that does that will be the next person in quarantine.

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’d be interested in what would happen if you got caught it there.  Hopefully anyone that does that will be the next person in quarantine.

You must be kidding.......it is Princess.....they have zero tolerance for enforcement of their policies....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dear Joy, your husband and everyone else currently in quarantine on the Ruby Princess.  We send you an abundance of strength, patience, positive thoughts and a speedy recovery.  Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

George and Stacey (we were with you the last 30 days).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joy_K said:

Day 4?, hasn't ship only been out for 2 days?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cruisingawayfromthesnow! said:

Do you have a balcony ?  Just curious if you can get some fresh air?  Stay positive and take care 

Yes, we are in a balcony.  From the middle elevators all the way to the front of the ship is the quarantine area on Aloha deck.  I think only time anyone gets an inside is if they run out of balconies.  Pretty sure no suites on Aloha nor minisuites, so balconies are it until they fill all those like the did on last day of last cruise with the 120 cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joy_K said:

Joy_K.Oh no! Is all I can think of. Sorry to hear of your Covid + test & now you are in quarantine.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Thanks 1

I can't help wonder if these stories of how positive folks are handled, both on the ship and off, will make others think twice about reporting if they feel sick/have symptoms. If that is the end result, all those potentially infected folks are off in the world infecting others...but cruiselines get to report no covid....

• Like 6

San Francisco Hotel .

Each CQ Hotel features a restaurant and bar and offers room service. Additionally, we offer a unique, in-room delivery service from neighborhood restaurants. Order using the menus located in your room and a member of our staff will deliver your order to your room, with charges being applied to your room bill.

Embarcadero: Complimentary $20 inclusive breakfast per guest at neighboring classic American restaurant, Fish and Farm, known for their fresh and locally-sourced ingredients – choice of entrée, coffee or tea and a juice.

Superior Room With Kitchenette

group

1–2 Guests

BOOK THIS ROOM

No hidden fees when you book direct

Room Highlights

• Queen size bed with premium bedding 
    Multipurpose work space, ergonomic chair and task lighting 
    Free ultra-fast 1 GB Wi-Fi 
    Flat-screen LCD TV 
    Keurig brewer with complimentary coffee and tea 
    Small kitchenette with microwave and refrigerator 
    MP3 Alarm Clock Radio 
    Free PrintMe wireless printing 
    Bathroom amenities include toiletries and hairdryers

• Of course other rooms and extended stay apartments available at this location,CQ.

Safeway grocery store is very close to this location and Amazon go- grocery? Many restaurants in area as it borders Little Italy.

But as the author( Covid +) of this post says he’s not leaving his hotel room, his wife( Covid negative )is and is able. But no instructions from Princess ,city of San Francisco,hotel, or cdc that they are suppose to do this.

Apparently a Canadian Covid + man who’s family is already back home from the cruise in Canada is also wandering the ice  area & or lobby according to the authors wife as she saw him .And then there was another couple in Florida  that disembarked not long ago -one was Covid positive the other was negative and they went outside the hotel with a mask on. I guess I’m still missing something ,if you test Covid positive on the ship and you’re sent to a hotel for isolation ,pretty sure that means you’re supposed to stay in your hotel room for five days or the prescribed time.

So who is telling/ allowing that Covid positive people and or a negative traveling companion can go outside of the hotel room? If you’re in a non-high-rise hotel and you have a first floor patio room then I totally understand that you could be outside and not be near anyone potentially.The isolation letter that was posted says stay in your hotel room. Yes totally understand how frustrating this can be and you need an advocate on the outside ,but that’s why you went to the hotel that Princess arranged and everything would be brought to you ,but apparently that is not the case?

Wonder what happens when both people in a cabin test positive and are sent to a hotel for isolation? I Have not heard anybody posting that yet.

Edited by arizonaperson

47 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I can't help wonder if these stories of how positive folks are handled, both on the ship and off, will make others think twice about reporting if they feel sick/have symptoms. If that is the end result, all those potentially infected folks are off in the world infecting others...but cruiselines get to report no covid....

A good point.

There is very little benefit to the passenger to be honest and self report an inferred sickness, particularly if they are only mildly sick.  While they may get a FCC equal to the days left if quarantined, being cloistered away for the remainder of a cruise and being treated like a leper is far from a vacation and a disincentive to be forthright.

This is similar to how so many jobs have eliminated sick time and vacation time for a joint "paid time off".  When you equate vacation time to sick time, for many, only the sickest will stay home, where as the rest who are probably contagious, will make their way in to the office and spread to others because it's an overall disincentive to take time off and get better if you can "fight it out".

I suppose for some they may get an "upgrade" into a balcony cabin, but it's a fine line between an upgrade and a sort of "house arrest".

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Joy_K said:

Sending get-well-soon (and test-negative-soon) wishes to you both!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joy_K said:

B2B and made the decision to stay on when given the choice.

Joy_K- If your husband’s Covid test on day five and day six come out negative does he get to move back into your original cabin and then you’ll do the same testing procedure? Well I really hope you get to enjoy some of your Hawaii cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1