What if you test positive at end of cruise in Barcelona?

Cobra1365

I asked this in another post.  But, it got buried.  So, figured it needs its own thread.  Additionally, the Port of Call board suggested I post over here.

So, NCL says they will “assist” if you test positive as you disembark in Barcelona at the end of your cruise.  Does anyone know what that entails?

We have air scheduled for the afternoon of disembarkation day back to the U.S. .  My biggest concern for this trip is not so much getting sick, as we’re both fully vaccinated.  But, testing positive the day of our return and being left to our own accord in Barcelona.

The Rep I spoke to wasn’t sure what exactly they would do for us other than provide testing.  Protocols were still being “developed” she said.

I’m just wondering if they have a specific hotel contracted for quarantine.  Will they assist with flight changes…without umpteen change fees applied, testing, etc.

if anyone has insight, it would be appreciated.

Cheers

When cruising resumed, Spain required people to quarantine in designated facilities. I do not know if that requirement is still in place. The point is that you will be under the jurisdiction of local authorities, and Norwegian may be limited in what they can do.

• Thanks 1

@SpainAlien might have an answer? 

Also I am not sure what a Covid self test costs in Spain (if embarking there) but here in Holland they sell them for around 2-3 Euro's each, whilst it may not prevent a positive test doing some tests during your cruise might ease your mind and may provide a better cruise experience. We brought some with us on our previous Caribbean cruise when we saw the online US prices for them. :classic_biggrin:

Might come in handy as a a first test, to monitor yourself if you get quarantained somewhere etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra1365 said:

I asked this in another post.  But, it got buried.  So, figured it needs its own thread.  Additionally, the Port of Call board suggested I post over here.

So, NCL says they will “assist” if you test positive as you disembark in Barcelona at the end of your cruise.  Does anyone know what that entails?

We have air scheduled for the afternoon of disembarkation day back to the U.S. .  My biggest concern for this trip is not so much getting sick, as we’re both fully vaccinated.  But, testing positive the day of our return and being left to our own accord in Barcelona.

The Rep I spoke to wasn’t sure what exactly they would do for us other than provide testing.  Protocols were still being “developed” she said.

I’m just wondering if they have a specific hotel contracted for quarantine.  Will they assist with flight changes…without umpteen change fees applied, testing, etc.

if anyone has insight, it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Honestly NCL would be the only ones that could answer that.  Basically you would have to quarantine, you wouldn't be allowed to fly until you test negative. I suspect that it would be up to you or your holiday insurance to pay any costs, I e. Quarantine hotel, airline change fees,  additional testing, etc., but in theory NCL would help you get a hotel organised.

We are going on the Epic out of Barcelona Spain in Mid June.  I did not do my research well on this cruise as here in the US we don't have to wear mask on any cruise we have taken in the past month.  NOW, i read that if you go on a cruise out of Europe, you are still required to wear a mask and reading OP post I was not aware that another COVID test has to be taken to come back to the U.S.  I must of missed that message somewhere.  my fault.....  I am curious if by June this whole thing will be a thing of the past or will Europe still make passengers go above and beyond unlike U.S  

1 hour ago, shipmate13 said:

We are going on the Epic out of Barcelona Spain in Mid June.  I did not do my research well on this cruise as here in the US we don't have to wear mask on any cruise we have taken in the past month.  NOW, i read that if you go on a cruise out of Europe, you are still required to wear a mask 

NCL is the only cruise line still requiring masks onboard for Europe cruises. Interestingly, their sister brand Oceania does not require masks in Europe except for cruises that are in Spanish waters.

1 hour ago, shipmate13 said:

We are going on the Epic out of Barcelona Spain in Mid June.  I did not do my research well on this cruise as here in the US we don't have to wear mask on any cruise we have taken in the past month.  NOW, i read that if you go on a cruise out of Europe, you are still required to wear a mask and reading OP post I was not aware that another COVID test has to be taken to come back to the U.S.  I must of missed that message somewhere.  my fault.....  I am curious if by June this whole thing will be a thing of the past or will Europe still make passengers go above and beyond unlike U.S  

It is the US requiring you to have a negative test for the international flight to return. The airlines have asked the government to rescind this, but there is no indication that will happen. The requirement for masks on public transportation is set to expire April 18. I’m sure the responsible agencies will consider both questions, and we’ll know soon if the order will be extended once again.

We are sailing out of Barcelona end of May. I wasn't aware we needed to get a test to get back into the USA. Is this something we need to arrange on our own? or does NCL provide the tests on the boat? We are using the air program with NCL if that matters. 

13 hours ago, susiesan said:

NCL is the only cruise line still requiring masks onboard for Europe cruises.

Nope, AIDA, TUI Cruises, MSC, Costa still require masks in Europe. And so far it´s still the regulation for cruises in Europe.

As for Barcelona and Spain: Yes, you will be handed over to a designated quarantine hotel (which is not up to NCL but chosen by the local health authorities). It used to be a 10 day quarantine.

steamboats

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bruce85 said:

We are sailing out of Barcelona end of May. I wasn't aware we needed to get a test to get back into the USA. Is this something we need to arrange on our own? or does NCL provide the tests on the boat? We are using the air program with NCL if that matters. 

NCL will provide the test on board prior to debarkation, free of charge.  

We too have air thru them.  It was the “what if we test positive” part that they didn’t fully answer for me, other than they would “assist.

The answers here have helped.  Thanks all.

15 hours ago, bruce85 said:

Watch here around April 18, maybe the  testing requirement will  be amended. 

This is as of a few months ago, but I read a not-so-pleasant account of a family testing positive in Barcelona after a cruise and having to quarantine in a Spain designated quarantine hotel. It sounded pretty bare bones with limited food until they started ordering delivery. It made me think twice about cruising in/out of Barcelona during this time. 

• Thanks 1

Fresh from the news: 

Spain is now treating Covid-19 like a regular flu. All isolation and quarantine regulations are dropped. You don´t need to isolate anymore when you are tested positive. You can even go to work.

steamboats

• Like 1

When are you traveling?  I don't think anyone knows at this point when the US will stop requiring negative tests to board a flight coming in from another country.  Yes, a large portion of Europe has already started to treat it like a regular flu and eliminate isolation requirements, but that does not pertain to a flight to another country.  

I would make sure if I was cruising Europe, I would have a good insurance plan that would cover me if I needed to isolate before traveling home.

5 hours ago, islesdave said:

When are you traveling?  I don't think anyone knows at this point when the US will stop requiring negative tests to board a flight coming in from another country.  Yes, a large portion of Europe has already started to treat it like a regular flu and eliminate isolation requirements, but that does not pertain to a flight to another country.  

I would make sure if I was cruising Europe, I would have a good insurance plan that would cover me if I needed to isolate before traveling home.

We’re cruising in May.  Plenty of time for things to change by then.  We have insurance and air thru NCL.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:17 PM, steamboats said:

Fresh from the news: 

Spain is now treating Covid-19 like a regular flu. All isolation and quarantine regulations are dropped. You don´t need to isolate anymore when you are tested positive. You can even go to work.

steamboats

Great news - except you still can't fly back to U.S. unless negative.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 1:17 PM, steamboats said:

Fresh from the news: Spain is now treating Covid-19 like a regular flu. All isolation and quarantine regulations are dropped. You don´t need to isolate anymore when you are tested positive. You can even go to work. steamboats

On 3/27/2022 at 6:35 PM, bruce85 said:

So, regardless of whether Spain doesn't require quarantine, the USA will not let you enter the country without a negative COVID test. That hasn't changed in 2 years. So, you're stranded in Spain.

And most of the people (vaxxed and boosted) I know who tested positive were feeling sick and not ready to go touring a foreign country. They were out trying to find some antiviral drugs to keep them out of a hospital.... which didn't always work. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

• If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
Edited by BirdTravels

16 hours ago, Cobra1365 said:

We’re cruising in May.  Plenty of time for things to change by then.  We have insurance and air thru NCL.

Double check the Ts&Cs of your NCL insurance to see what it covers for post-cruise issues in terms of positive testing.  It may differ based on which tier of insurance you have.