Ten Gallon cowboy hats

Acrusa

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In this case, my meal wasn’t spoiled.

Maitre d’ sat him at the far left end table out of sight of LaReserve passerby’s. And we chose to sit at the right table. Needless to say, that other table had the most folks leave immediately after the meal.

Had it been our table, I’d have stepped away with the maitre’d and reminded him/her of the ship’s hat policy. Absent a reasonable explanation (without violating cowboy’s HIPPA rights) that would make accommodation the obvious “right thing to do,” I’d expect, at least, a reseating arrangement and, absent that, I’d want compensation for having to endure the lack of decorum. That might have required a brief conversation with the F&B manager (whose job, quite honestly, bottom lines at doing his/her best to avoid conflict by throwing SBC at it).  

My wife and I have been eating at an Italian family style restaurant for the past 50 yrs in Queens. As of 3 yrs ago they put a large sign in the window letting the new generation of the rules

NO HATS NO BABY CARRIAGE NO CREDIT CARDS

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Acrusa said:

My wife and I have been eating at an Italian family style restaurant for the past 50 yrs in Queens. As of 3 yrs ago they put a large sign in the window letting the new generation of the rules

NO HATS NO BABY CARRIAGE NO CREDIT CARDS

Which demands this clip.  The Sopranos - Take your hat off - Bing video 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Possibly a religous issue?

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Right.......,Like may be" the universal church of self adoration and importance.",

...( not associated with Mystic Knights of the Sea, Rev George Kingfish Stevens")

We have Cowboy Churches here, perhaps one of them. 😇

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

Would you still have an issue and complain if he was wearing a turban?  I think the cowboy hat represents a part of his culture and where he is from.

Sorry but: Are you nuts? If a turban is a recognized religious requirement for certain Islamic sects, that’s one thing. But a cowboy hat? Get real!

• Like 2

My husband and I are relatively younger Oceania cruisers in our mid-40s, and while we would never dream of doing this because we both have very proper parents, I can't see why it matters.  With that said, if it breaks the dress code, it should be handled like any other violation.  I don't wear hats, so I have no clue if that is the rule.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, emd138 said:

My husband and I are relatively younger Oceania cruisers in our mid-40s, and while we would never dream of doing this because we both have very proper parents, I can't see why it matters.  With that said, if it breaks the dress code, it should be handled like any other violation.  I don't wear hats, so I have no clue if that is the rule.

Some of us are hell bent on maintaining some reasonable level of decorum. Perhaps you haven’t noticed how much of basic human kindness, concern and decorous standards  have fallen by the wayside thanks to that corner of the “me generation” (as well as the still existing miscreant subset of baby boomers) who only care about themselves.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Some of us are hell bent on maintaining some reasonable level of decorum. Perhaps you haven’t noticed how much of basic human kindness, concern and decorous standards  have fallen by the wayside thanks to that corner of the “me generation” (as well as the still existing miscreant subset of baby boomers) who only care about themselves.

Oh, trust me, I have noticed it!  The basic human kindness and concern I 100% agree with.  I just don't understand some of the decorum standards.  In my area of the country, disgusting scraggly long beards are the thing, so maybe I do relate now that I think about some other examples.  A hat wouldn't bother me, but I see what you mean.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, emd138 said:

Oh, trust me, I have noticed it!  The basic human kindness and concern I 100% agree with.  I just don't understand some of the decorum standards.  In my area of the country, disgusting scraggly long beards are the thing, so maybe I do relate now that I think about some other examples.  A hat wouldn't bother me, but I see what you mean.

Oceania rules have always explicitly prohibited men’s hats of any type at dinner in any dining venue. 
Don’t like the rules? Don’t book the cruise!

Wanna know why it’s not acceptable? Google is your friend!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oceania rules have always explicitly prohibited men’s hats of any type at dinner in any dining venue. 
Don’t like the rules? Don’t book the cruise!

Wanna know why it’s not acceptable? Google is your friend!

Google is my friend, but since we don't wear hats, I never had to Google it.  I only said I don't see the issue with it, but if it is against the rules, then I get it.  Thankfully, the people that I have met on board are not so condescending.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, I believe the wording on men's hats in restaurants is "ball caps" and not hats of any kind.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Actually, I believe the wording on men's hats in restaurants is "ball caps" and not hats of any kind.

I believe you are correct. Funny you should mention that fact,  but I distinctly remember a guy that wore a black beret everywhere he went. Kind of a funky French type thing. I don’t remember him being chastised at all! 🤔

I was just taught gentleman don’t wear headwear indoors. In the military, hats/caps came off immediately upon going indoors. Of course, not everyone is a gentleman nor are we in the military.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

If I remember the wording, It specifies something to the effect that ball caps can be worn at non-dinner meal venues. Basically, it’s saying that the only acceptable hat is a baseball cap and you can’t wear it to dinner. 
But, even that is non-decorous -especially when a guy then takes it off and puts it on the table.

• Like 1

I guess it is a sign of the times

We grew up in an era where  hats  came off at the door  for men  ..ladies actually wore hats  well the older generation did LOL

My grandmother would not go anywhere with her  "at"

Women dressed nicely for work suits or dresses  etc..

long gone are some of those  traditions  some for the better but not all

JMO

Lyn

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If I remember the wording, It specifies something to the effect that ball caps can be worn at non-dinner meal venues. Basically, it’s saying that the only acceptable hat is a baseball cap and you can’t wear it to dinner. 
But, even that is non-decorous -especially when a guy then takes it off and puts it on the table.

I inquired about this rule in 2019, when I was seated, repeatedly, behind a guy earing his ancient, frayed, sweat-stained Indiana Jones hat in every restaurant.  He had clearly worn that hat around the world and was not taking if off for anyone.  I was told by the Maitre'd that they had approached him about it, he had spouted the ball cap wording, and in general created a major scene.  

I understood their position.  It's not worth getting the asst maitre'd punched in the face over a hat, and apparently that's where it was headed.  Yeah the guy and his wife would have been thrown off the ship, but that would be cold comfort for the guy that got punched.

Hat in sight or not, it was still a great cruise for us.  But, I was taught the same as you growing up (and no hats in church).  The fact that guy's hat still irritates me three years later probably doesn't say great things about me.

5 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

I inquired about this rule in 2019, when I was seated, repeatedly, behind a guy earing his ancient, frayed, sweat-stained Indiana Jones hat in every restaurant.  He had clearly worn that hat around the world and was not taking if off for anyone.  I was told by the Maitre'd that they had approached him about it, he had spouted the ball cap wording, and in general created a major scene.  

I understood their position.  It's not worth getting the asst maitre'd punched in the face over a hat, and apparently that's where it was headed.  Yeah the guy and his wife would have been thrown off the ship, but that would be cold comfort for the guy that got punched.

Hat in sight or not, it was still a great cruise for us.  But, I was taught the same as you growing up (and no hats in church).  The fact that guy's hat still irritates me three years later probably doesn't say great things about me.

Actually it says something very positive about you.

The bulk of O’s clientele are generally accomplished, well-traveled folks who maintain a reasonable sense of decorum and understand value for their hard-earned money.

And O has always targeted that exact group of consumers. It’s been a winning combo for more than 15 years and some of us want to see it remain that way for, at least, another 15.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

We have a private dining club that opened up recently. Dress code is stricter than O’s and is enforced. Best chef, by far, in the surrounding area. Many said a private club with a dress code would never make it. There’s a wait list for membership. 

Those that abuse the dress code and want to make a scene might be admitted to calm a situation. Then they get a letter in the mail, along with any prorated paid dues, informing them their membership has been revoked. End of that problem, it only happens once.

If you don’t want to adhere to an established dress code, don’t join a club that has one. Lots of restaurants to eat at with no dress codes. If you don’t like a ship’s dress code, sail another line. Not interested in why one doesn’t believe the rules don’t, or shouldn’t, apply to them.

• Like 6

On 3/31/2022 at 8:42 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Attempt at humor🤔?

I had a real life experience when in service. I was on a train in northern Japan heading towards an isolated site. A US civilian contractor joined me for dinner and I was surprised when he put on a hat according to his religious custom. Since then I don't rule anything out. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

To whit....The  subject of decorum is nothing more that manners.  Plain and simple   Manners that have been in vogue for several hundred years if not longer.     To many of the newer generations  these standard's of personal behavior are something to be challenged as in need of being challenged because new is always better than old  Tradition is the enemy to be assaulted.       So that is the state of affairs...

Between 2 camps  the new age enlightened woke and the traditionalist      That seems to be ongoing state of affairs.   

As Pinotlover  so  aptly spoke....." If ya' don't like the rules... don't friggen book Oceania "    

15338766_1737033829947838_1617702137729648833_n.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Basically, it’s saying that the only acceptable hat is a baseball cap and you can’t wear it to dinner. 

Well no, you can't interpret that to fit your perspective. While I also am annoyed when someone is wearing a hat while eating, this really isn't saying that. I would say there is absolutely no issue when someone decides to wear any style of hat to breakfast or lunch, or Waves. 

I'm in complete agreement that a person with class will take it off while at the table. 

23 minutes ago, ORV said:

Well no, you can't interpret that to fit your perspective. While I also am annoyed when someone is wearing a hat while eating, this really isn't saying that. I would say there is absolutely no issue when someone decides to wear any style of hat to breakfast or lunch, or Waves. 

I'm in complete agreement that a person with class will take it off while at the table. 

+ 1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJB said:

+ 1

I was on RVA in 2019 and had a long talk with the F and B manager..and I told him I didnt think  they should let people eat with hats on in the MDR..I pointed to a Man and said he shouldnt be wearing one.The F and B manager went over to talk to him and came back and said he is on Chemo and hates being bald..trust me I felt like 2 cents and never mentioned it again..

Jancruz1

• Like 3