Flying home after the cruise

cruiser3775

I've read all the good advice about not flying to the cruise embarkation port on the same day as the cruise departs, so I have booked into a local hotel for the night before.  But no-one seems to give the same advice about flying home after the cruise. I have a three hour flight home. My cruise is scheduled to dock at 7am.  It's 15 minutes to the airport.   I was planning on buying flights that allow changes to later flights without penalty. Would it be too risky to book a mid or late afternoon flight on the last day, or would all you experienced cruisers recommend that I pay for another hotel night once I get off the ship? 

5 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I've read all the good advice about not flying to the cruise embarkation port on the same day as the cruise departs, so I have booked into a local hotel for the night before.  But no-one seems to give the same advice about flying home after the cruise. I have a three hour flight home. My cruise is scheduled to dock at 7am.  It's 15 minutes to the airport.   I was planning on buying flights that allow changes to later flights without penalty. Would it be too risky to book a mid or late afternoon flight on the last day, or would all you experienced cruisers recommend that I pay for another hotel night once I get off the ship? 

Normally it's fine to do what you're planning. But it would be helpful to know what port/airport you're talking about on the admittedly miniscule chance there's some condition unique to that port and airport that would make a same day flight home difficult. 

5 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

It all depends on itinerary.

With the exception of an occasional itinerary with a Miami  disembarkation (where we have zero interest in spending any time), an important factor fir us in choosing a cruise, is a preference for different start and end ports that are favorite or interesting new destinations for added land visits. 
In those cases, we usually add 3-5+ days onto the end of the cruise. Pre-Covid, we did the same at the front end. However, pre-Cruise testing has modified that with our length of land stay being adjusted to only 2-3 nights so that we can test pre-flight on our way to our home airport SFO for the trip. That said, if we want to stay longer, we figure out a testing plan for the embarkation city.

At the bottom line: where cruises are involved, the most critical choice is flights pre-cruise where (with the exception of ground transfer from home to late same-day west coast departures from SFO) we most often would want to arrive at an embarkation port at least two nights prior to the cruise.

Why? BUFFER! Ground transfer issues, plane delays/cancels, missed connections, lost luggage? All critical elements for us, particularly since we generally do longer cruises of 3-5 weeks and do not want embarkation problems.

BTW, also a part of the most important pre-Cruise sir arrangements is preference for non-stop flights on consortium carriers (e.g., United Airlines and Star Alliance partners as needed) and, if intercontinental connections are required, a choice of large Star Alliance hub airports with a minimum 3 hour layover (for all of the obvious reasons including easier ticket “assignment” should anything go FUBAR.

Finally: As for that occasional Miami disembarkation? 
The ship’s published arrival time is NOT the same as your disembarkation time. And traffic et al. possible ground transport issues (even with our preferred-arranged private can service) can add to any ship delay. So, our minimum “4-5 hour rule” (from our actual disembarkation to “boarding time)” is always the choice for MIA (one of our least favorite airports because it is not a United Airlines hub [with a United Club] and the first flight out is in the afternoon - so bring reading material!).

sounds like you will be fine on timing.  When flying after a cruise we’ve done it both ways…..flown out day of arrival and stayed a day or so before flying.  I prefer staying because there is no rush, no wondering are we going to make it on time and no long wait because everything went smoothly and you arrived at the airport 5 hours before your flight.   Sometimes timing doesn’t allow that so here are options we’ve used…Next trip we are using the cruise line transportation to get to the airport and flying out that day to make things easy (1st time we’ve done this).   We’ve also used a driver to get us to the airport and we’ve had a private tour guide pick us up, show us around then drop us at the airport 

Your timing more or less matches what we've done in the past on all our cruises.  However, on one cruise to and from San Francisco our debarkation was delayed by 2 hours due to a medical helicopter evacuation of a critically ill patient.  So, stuff can happen even returning to port, though I think it's rare.   Since you'll have the no-cost change you should be fine with your plans.

6 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

When flying after a cruise we’ve done it both ways…..flown out day of arrival and stayed a day or so before flying.  I prefer staying because there is no rush

6 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Next trip we are using the cruise line transportation to get to the airport and flying out that day to make things easy (1st time we’ve done this).  

Just as the poster, I have done the same.  If possible, I do like to have a 1-2-3 day hotel stay post-cruise.  I use such time as a wind down time from the cruise and preparation for a return to "reality".  

OP, I think your plan to fly out the same day you disembark your cruise will work for you.  I would try to book a flight after Noon or later, if possible, to give yourself a bit of a "cushion" in case things go awry during disembarkation.  

Thanks everyone for the advice. The port is Brisbane, and they have a new International Cruise Terminal, just opened. Hopefully that will make things easier for cruise ship arrivals and departures, once it gets settled in, now Australian cruising has just recommenced. I don't feel the need to stay there to see the city, which I am quite familiar with from previous visits, so I think I will just book a mid afternoon flight home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thanks everyone for the advice. The port is Brisbane, and they have a new International Cruise Terminal, just opened. Hopefully that will make things easier for cruise ship arrivals and departures, once it gets settled in, now Australian cruising has just recommenced. I don't feel the need to stay there to see the city, which I am quite familiar with from previous visits, so I think I will just book a mid afternoon flight home. 

Makes sense.  The key factor on spending the night BEFORE your cruise is avoiding missing sailing in event of an unanticipated delay. There usually is not that sort of concern about getting home after a cruise.

• Like 1

For us it is simply a matter of risk analysis.  Flying in at least a day early is just a simple way to protect our investment in a cruise…which can be a substantial amount of money.  But catching a flight home involves much less risk other than the possible loss of some air fare.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 3:12 AM, cruiser3775 said:

I've read all the good advice about not flying to the cruise embarkation port on the same day as the cruise departs, so I have booked into a local hotel for the night before.  But no-one seems to give the same advice about flying home after the cruise. 

The big difference is that if you miss your ship, there isn't another one leaving in two hours. You may have to fly, at your own expensive, to the next port-of-call and rejoin the cruise there. With a flight, if you miss your scheduled flight, there is usually another one leaving within a few hours. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You'll pretty safe with a 12 or later flight.  We have made a 10:30 with ease in Ft. Lauderdale, but I wouldn't do that unless of real necessity.  It does depend on the port of course.

We always book homeward flights the same day as the ship docks unless we are going to be touring after the cruise, as, say, 3 days in Rome.

I concur with the people saying "12:00 PM or later flight".  I honestly don't have any desire to linger in the local city after debarkation.  I'm tired from not sleeping enough on the cruise, I'm out of clean underwear and socks, my clothes are dirty, I'm sunburned, my feet are blistered, and I just want to get home!  Then sleep in for 10 hours, unpack, wash my cruise laundry, put the souvenirs in their rightful places, upload my cruise photos to the internet, and get ready for the next workweek.  Plus, I always get pretty bad debarkation vertigo, despite never getting seasick; that'll thwart the enjoyment of any post-cruise days in the local city.

Most, if not all, cruise lines offer airport transfers.  That's what I always did.  I got to the airport on time every time.  I ended up putzing around the terminal aimlessly for hours, due to how early I got there, but at least the chance of missing my flight home was exactly 0%.  

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 4:12 PM, cruiser3775 said:

Honestly it would be fine to fly home same day.  They tend to kick you off in early morning so anything in the afternoon will give you plenty of time to arrive.  For peace of mind you might want to arrange a car and driver to fetch you but otherwise I wouldn't stress.

14 hours ago, unrealHeather said:

Honestly it would be fine to fly home same day.  They tend to kick you off in early morning so anything in the afternoon will give you plenty of time to arrive.  For peace of mind you might want to arrange a car and driver to fetch you but otherwise I wouldn't stress.

In virtually all cases you will be off the ship by 9:00 -10:00 ---  LATEST ---.  If you are that close to the airport, anything after noon should be fine

You will be fine with a noon departure if it's available. Wife and I take our time getting off the ship, have breakfast, get a cup or two coffees and relax letting the crowd die down then just walk off, collect luggage and on our way,  we very rarely book flights before 1pm.

• Like 2

Any time at noon or later will be fine, and in some ports earlier will work too.  They want everyone off the ship--often by 9 or 10--so that the ship can be readied for the next group.  We usually stay as late as possible, just so we are not rushed, but have gotten off much earlier if we have an earlier flight.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that’s fine! I won’t book a flight before noon, even if the airport is close. But we’ve always flown home on the same day we disembark. Usually because  we need to get home for work. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 6:45 AM, kelkel2 said:

I think that’s fine! I won’t book a flight before noon, even if the airport is close. But we’ve always flown home on the same day we disembark. Usually because  we need to get home for work. 

We would only stay over in port of debarkation if we were interested in seeing the area or if there were simply no convenient transportation options on debarkation day.  When we have come in to a west coast port -- San Diego, LA, San Fransisco or Seattle, we stayed over one night because we did not want the hassle of getting to the airport for an early flight to the east coast - and we were not interested in a red eye.  Once, coming into Miami, we stayed over because we were catching an Amtrak train to NY (about 8;00 AM) next morning.

• Like 1