Masking Requirements on Domestic Flights

DirtyDawg

Now that the U.S. has dropped masking requirements on Airplanes (for now) will Canada follow suit? 

If not, will they just drop it for Airports? If they don't I wonder about the shock our American cousins will have when they fly up here, on a U.S. carrier for a Cruise, and then have to wear a mask as they depart the plane in our Great White North. 🤔

Edited by DirtyDawg

My guess is they will not, but have been wrong on timings before.  Regardless, we're wearing masks in airports and especially in plane.  In my opinion the plane is by far the most "dangerous" portion of a cruise vacation.  Everyone jammed all together with the normal hustle and bustle of the plane.  Sitting side by side with strangers with little or no distancing.  People moving about the cabin in the isles, again in very close proximity.  We are seriously considering N95 masks while on the plane, but that is just us being overly cautious I guess.   

• Like 8

Not sure why Canada should automatically  drop our masking rules just because the US did (was forced to). If your neighbour jumped off a bridge would you follow?

We will continue masking on both flights and indoors on  cruises for the foreseeable future, regardless. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

If not, will they just drop it for Airports? If they don't I wonder about the shock our American cousins will have when they fly up here, on a U.S. carrier for a Cruise, and then have to wear a mask as they depart the plane in our Great White North. 🤔

They’ll have to wear the mask on the flight to Canada.

4560DCA2-7116-41CA-A76D-281CD493A40A.thumb.jpeg.c6b2772d888a6f10d711d6ae4674e51d.jpeg

07A8E806-88EB-42A9-A1A6-A5D88EA7EC67.thumb.jpeg.5ed9d7d69e37175a46d15fa999ca1da9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I wonder how many American flyers realize that a flight to Vancouver is not a domestic flight? 😉

It will start to sink in when they have to complete an ArriveCAN submission! Maybe... 🙄

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

It will start to sink in when they have to complete an ArriveCAN submission! Maybe... 🙄

I'm thinking about some Yanks flying from, say,  Miami to catch a cruise out of Vancouver. Early am domestic, no mask, flight to Dallas on American Airlines. After a short layover in Dallas on to a direct American Airlines flight to Vancouver. Those flights attendants will have better luck herding cats then getting some of that crowd to start to wear a mask for that leg of the journey. 

This might be fun to watch in a NASCAR Big Wreck sort of way. 💥

5 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I'm thinking about some Yanks flying from, say,  Miami to catch a cruise out of Vancouver. Early am domestic, no mask, flight to Dallas on American Airlines. After a short layover in Dallas on to a direct American Airlines flight to Vancouver. Those flights attendants will have better luck herding cats then getting some of that crowd to start to wear a mask for that leg of the journey. 

This might be fun to watch in a NASCAR Big Wreck sort of way. 💥

I honestly hope it doesn’t come to that as it puts the flight attendants and other passengers at risk.  I have had my fill of unruly people over the past two years.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

🙄

That's their problem, and their legal jeopardy. Frankly, I would be pleased if those cousins didn't arrive in time to board our ship. 😷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Now that the U.S. has dropped masking requirements on Airplanes (for now) will Canada follow suit? 

My mother used to ask me "If Johnny jumped off a cliff does it mean you should?".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

My mother used to ask me "If Johnny jumped off a cliff does it mean you should?".

My mother used to say; ""If Johnny jumped off a cliff, start a bungy jumping business and profit from that lunatic!"

Sorry, but do I need the 😁 for this one?

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

In my opinion, change here is likely though not immediate and folks still need to mask up on our Canadian planes. If you've been through any of our customs halls recently, most people actually want to mask up for their own safety. Provinces are considering extending their own mask mandates so that’s another few curves to anticipate.  The change in US masking was approved by the CDC so that’s a very major step for our neighbours in the south.  

• Like 1

Just now, Tango99 said:

The change in US masking was approved by the CDC so that’s a very major step for our neighbours in the south.

The change wasn't approved by the CDC. It was a Federal judge in Florida who ruled (by really stretching the law in my opinion) that the CDC had overstepped their mandate.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

The change wasn't approved by the CDC. It was a Federal judge in Florida who ruled (by really stretching the law in my opinion) that the CDC had overstepped their mandate.

Very much a stretch, but not surprising, as she had been given a "not qualified" rating by the American Bar Association, based on her limited amount of experience post-law school when the 33 year old was nominated and subsequently appointed by the outgoing Administration in November 2020.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Very much a stretch, but not surprising, as she had been given a "not qualified" rating by the American Bar Association, based on her limited amount of experience post-law school when the 33 year old was nominated and subsequently appointed by the outgoing Administration in November 2020.

Now I see the connection, her mentor/nominator wasn’t qualified for his (I presume) position either. JMHO. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 4/20/2022 at 10:41 AM, Tango99 said:

In my opinion, change here is likely though not immediate and folks still need to mask up on our Canadian planes. If you've been through any of our customs halls recently, most people actually want to mask up for their own safety. Provinces are considering extending their own mask mandates so that’s another few curves to anticipate.  The change in US masking was approved by the CDC so that’s a very major step for our neighbours in the south.  

Sorry. My mistake.  I should have said CDC authorized lifting part of the federal mask mandate. That still applies to closed in areas, and planes, but generally it no longer applies indoors. That has already been changed in several states. I found it very interesting while cruising S and W Caribbean first 2 weeks in March, that all the stores have a No Mask No Service policy posted very prominently on their doors. I saw very few unmasked. 

I'm getting the sense, personally and viewing other posts, that the majority of people are moving very cautiously towards no masks.  Sure there are a lot of people who are dropping the masks as fast as they can because where ever they are from has said they can.  But I seriously believe "most" people, especially those 40-50 years old and higher are still going to mask up, especially in high concentrations of people.  I don't have an issue, to a degree, not wearing a mask through airports if it is relatively uncrowded.  But as you get closer to check in and especially through customs and on the plane we will be masked up for sure.  Same thing on the ship, outside and uncrowded areas maybe no mask.  To and from the theatre, dinner, etc think a lot of people will keep the mask on.  Maybe just my take on it............

• Like 1

In Quebec  they have just extended the mask policy.

Seems silly to take a covid test at home now. And have no protection on the higher risk part of the journey to get to the ship. 

I am on a b2b in June.  Seems to me we will need to be extra careful to ensure our test is still negative for leg 2

• Like 1

I went grocery shopping yesterday. We haven’t had to mask in Saskatchewan for several weeks, but most people were, more than when the mask mandate was dropped. I was wearing a K95 mask. 

People appear to be taking the upswing in cases seriously, at least for Regina. 

• Like 3