COVID Isolation HA questions, fire away !

Cate1

Are you in isolation now? Were you positive on the cruise, or after you got home? If you were on the ship when you got ill, was it handled well, or poorly?  I guess that's enough questions for now...

Felt tired that’s all , called medical Center, they suggested pcr , positive.. moved to isolation… not going to get another test as already positive.. will disembark back home ( thank goodness) in couple more days … so will self isolate till better and when regulations allow one to leave self isolation.

staff so incredibly kind and lovely ,  u r given new cabin , your own replacement supplies and no steward etc.. on own but they call and check on u… order room service but everything is in paper containers… worst part is no karafe for hot water so lots of hot drinks challenging though they will bring more anytime 

they seem to be arranging everything with authorities and are very authentic saying they are clarifying as we go… honesty is appreciated 

I would say had a wonderful time until now but if this had happened early in 14 day cruise and / or would they have made me disembark in Mexico or even US ( not home ) I might feel very different 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Lol to add… others descriptions of the isolation area that I had read previously made me giggle cuz kind of true .. hazmat suits , have to sort own garbage ( like at home );definitely feel less like a guest is many ways but they assigned a customer service rep to me … only negative thing was I hate to mention but new cabin was not clean at all and is not shabby chic just shabby. Head of housekeeping came by but I was just too tired to show him the issues.. so someone else’s toothpaste ring in bathroom cupboard and mirrors dirty .. the poor staff looked terrified… I felt for them … the cleaning staff and folks assigned to this —— hallway ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Cate1 said:

Lol to add… others descriptions of the isolation area that I had read previously made me giggle cuz kind of true .. hazmat suits , have to sort own garbage ( like at home );definitely feel less like a guest is many ways but they assigned a customer service rep to me … only negative thing was I hate to mention but new cabin was not clean at all and is not shabby chic just shabby. Head of housekeeping came by but I was just too tired to show him the issues.. so someone else’s toothpaste ring in bathroom cupboard and mirrors dirty .. the poor staff looked terrified… I felt for them … the cleaning staff and folks assigned to this —— hallway ..

That is not cool.  

Forgot to mention before thank you for answering questions so we can all learn.  Very much appreciated.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

I am curious as to why HAL is still using paper plates and no carafes for hot water, etc. CCers on other mainstream lines have reported that people in isolation are served on regular dinnerware and wine glasses too!  All dishes should be washed at temperatures to kill all types of germs in the normal practices so why make isolation folks use paper and plastic (compostable?) utensils?  I truly would like to be informed!  

Thanks,

~Nancy

• Like 2

We just finished a stint in quarantine on Oceania.  I have to say we were treated much better.  We were permitted to stay in our own cabin.  We were served with regular dinnerware and cutlery.  Housekeeping came in with hazmat suits periodically and cleaned our cabin and changed linen as often as we asked.

Medical staff visited us every day and took our vitals and brought us meds to get better.  After 5 days we were tested.  We were negative.  We’re tested again the following day and released from quarantine.  

The General Manager called every day to find out how we were doing and if there was anything we needed.  Housekeeping stayed in touch as well.

Room will be sanitized today so that we will have a very clean room to continue the cruise.

Just a comparison. It doesn’t have to be that basic.  Certainly, you should not have to be moved to a dirty room.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Do you know if there are many cases on your  cruise? Assuming you picked it up on the cruise and not in port, do you have any thoughts as to where or when? I guess I am trying to ask what level of precautions you and others had been taking. And before someone flames me for asking that - Not looking to blame the victim, I am just trying to prepare myself mentally for the level of risk on our upcoming cruise and whether we can minimize.

• Like 4

Only speaking from my experience.

yes balcony 

they provide cleaning supplies and request u sort all garbage in plastic bags they pick up from hallway daily.

it appears that initial testing is covered by HAL but meds after are not.

never saw dr. He allied me though right after positive test

super surprised I tested positive as wore n95 mask a lot and politely never shared an elevator with multiple folks or unmasked people.

i would say I was more careful than not . spent most of my time at ports outdoors and ship capacity was about 65% and for last segment is only 1/4 capacity..so no crowds except unmasked passengers in lido at busy times

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Cate1 said:

Only speaking from my experience.

yes balcony 

they provide cleaning supplies and request u sort all garbage in plastic bags they pick up from hallway daily.

it appears that initial testing is covered by HAL but meds after are not.

never saw dr. He allied me though right after positive test

super surprised I tested positive as wore n95 mask a lot and politely never shared an elevator with multiple folks or unmasked people.

i would say I was more careful than not . spent most of my time at ports outdoors and ship capacity was about 65% and for last segment is only 1/4 capacity..so no crowds except unmasked passengers in lido at busy times

I understand how you feel.  We always wore our masks, stayed to ourselves DH yet we got it.  Don’t know how.  Our only thought is that there are people that are ill and do not report it and then share the “wealth” infecting others as they go.  There is no blaming the “victim” here.  There are too many who have no idea where they picked it up after following the rules and yet there are others that go on their merry way and never get it.  Go figure!  Just met someone on the elevator that was complaining about wearing masks and that Oceania should not mandate.  i told him he was talking to the wrong person.  If he wanted to take it off, get away from me.

I hope you get better soon and I hope someone cleans your room.  That should not be your responsilibilty.  

I’ll say a prayer for you.

Terri

• Like 11

41 minutes ago, Cate1 said:

The Lido was probably the culprit. I'll only dine during offpeak hours. Will miss the MDR and Gala.

First of all, very sorry you have had covid and have to experience isolation on the ship.  However, I think it's ridiculous that HAL has handed you cleaning supplies so YOU can clean your stateroom.  I know my brother had covid and the  last thing on earth that he wanted to do is take a bucket of bleach and clean his surroundings.  Seriously, people get very sick with covd and I personally think it is insensitive of HAL to hand off the comet and sponges to you. Like you have any energy......jeepers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Again, sorry that you are sick and having to go through all of this.  Thank you for sharing.

My solution would be for HAL to clean up a different isolation room for you and then move you again.

Best wishes for a good recovery.

Barbara

@Cate1has HAL provided a “What to Expect” type paper outlining what to expect in isolation and how to proceed once off the ship (e.g., what they take care of, what is your responsibility, how to get meals, how many days in isolation, re-testing, refunds / credits,  how to disembark, isolation hotels, etc., those types of issues)? I’ve seen so many different protocols, even among various ships in a line, that I would think having a standard set of protocols communicated to passengers would be the way to go.

Do they provide complimentary internet for those in isolation / quarantine?

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Best wishes and prayers!

Edited by syesmar

Sorry you are in isolation. That is a bummer. Super happy to hear you are in a balcony room. Being quarantined in an oceanview is probably the biggest reason I'm not sailing yet. What type of room were you originally booked in? What floor are currently quarantined on? What ship? 

And please don't be too hard on yourself. I do not believe there is much people can do to avoid Covid on a cruise ship. If it wants you, it will find you.