COVID Isolation HA questions, fire away !

Cate1

As someone who was taken off the ship and quarantined in a hotel in Florida midway through a B2B Panama Canal cruise, I have a tip: Early in the cruise, grab a set of real metal dinnerware from the Lido or keep a set from room service. When you are spirited to your quarantine quarters you won't need to eat with the plastic or wood knives and forks they provide; just wash your own set.

• Like 8

Gosh , so touched by support …thanks so much… trying not to have pity party..

good idea re cutlery… it’s brutal , everything cold due to soggy paper…

they have provided very clear directions but they need to figure everything out as we go 

had over 20 calls so had to unplug phone.and have had days of getting calls for someone previously in cabin and their account statement on my tv till I mentioned it

too fatigued to clean.

It’s seems like they move everyone positive and give balcony no matter prior cabin due to fresh air ?
they say ventilation is negative pressure in this wing ?
staff really really kind …

not having a karafe is not acceptable as hot drinks are always cold fast and sore throat and need for hydration is paramount 

I suggest that they give one and sick passenger keeps it

internet .. brilliant point.. I would have gone crazy without and my family would have been so worried.

I happened to have package .. thank goodness.. since there is charge for even Tylenol I doubt Internet would be comped 

gosh not sure if it’s age of ship, lack of ongoing housekeeping but isolation  room in really rough shape … Zuiderdam.. my other cabin was old of course but clean… 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cate1 said:

My understanding is that the ship's ventilation is broken into sections (essentially the fire sections). It would not surprise me if they were able to set it up with negative pressure. As much as I would hate to give up my aft wrap Neptune to move to the isolation verandahs, I do like that they have it set up this way as I think it does provide better protection. 

It is really too bad there are no microwaves in the rooms. A microwave, a caraffe & one set of silverware would probably make a huge difference. I don't really understand the need to not even allow silverware. Covid is almost entirely airborne and not transferred by touch. I don't see why they can't give you food on a real plate. 

I’m sorry you are dealing with this! I hope you continue to have mild symptoms. Thank you for being an honest person and self reporting yourself to the medical office. If more people were conscious, the spread would be reduced. And thank you for posting on CC so others can learn about the big Q on a cruise ship.

I got off Zuiderdam on Fri. I walked along deck 4 and 6 to see where they blocked off the cabins. There’s a total of 72 cabins along the forward section of both levels. Most are verandas but there are some inside cabins there too (included in my total). I did not open the Staff Only doors. I noted where the doors were located and checked the deck plans to count the cabins. I was a bit surprised to learn there were that many cabins blocked off. I think someone told me there are about 800 cabins total on the Zuiderdam so it’s a high % taken out of inventory. But then again, it is for both passengers and crew.

2 hours ago, Cate1 said:

Gosh , so touched by support …thanks so much… trying not to have pity party..

good idea re cutlery… it’s brutal , everything cold due to soggy paper…

they have provided very clear directions but they need to figure everything out as we go 

had over 20 calls so had to unplug phone.and have had days of getting calls for someone previously in cabin and their account statement on my tv till I mentioned it

too fatigued to clean.

It’s seems like they move everyone positive and give balcony no matter prior cabin due to fresh air ?
staff really really kind …

not having a karafe is not acceptable as hot drinks are always cold fast and sore throat and need for hydration is paramount 

I suggest that they give one and sick passenger keeps it

internet .. brilliant point.. I would have gone crazy without and my family would have been so worried.

I happened to have package .. thank goodness.. since there is charge for even Tylenol I doubt Internet would be comped 

gosh not sure if it’s age of ship, lack of ongoing housekeeping but isolation  room in really rough shape … Zuiderdam.. my other cabin was old of course but clean… 

I had a long conversation with the General Manager of the Nautica yesterday about a number of things.  Most of them concerned the period of isolation that DH and I just endured on the Nautica.  I must say that I give Oceania high marks for how they handle the isolation.

One of the things she told me was that the CDC guidelines instructed using disposable utensils and dinnerware for meals.  Oceania chose not to follow that because they felt it would only make a bad experience worse.  I told her how the people on HAL were unhappy with the way food was served to them and she that is precisely why they decided not to follow those instructions. 

I must say, that while our food was not always piping hot, it was at an acceptable temperature and having real cutlery, a carafe of coffee or hot water, certainly made all the difference in the world.

I just cannot understand HAL moving people to rooms that have not been cleaned and then handing out cleaning supplies.  This is not even acceptable.  We are talking about people who are ill, not people who are employees of the cruise line.  And even then it is not acceptable. Not providing any meds is also not acceptable.

I really hope this ends for you soon.  Please try to make the best of it.  You did the right thing by reporting your symptoms.  Now the ball is in HAL’s corner.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Home … observations

It’s a roll of dice , cruising is high risk activity re Covid

Triple vaccinated , no prior health issues

Worked for 2 years as health care professional , no covid

first vacation and got COVID about 8 days in

wore N95 ( only applicable mask ) and never shared an elevator 

was careful

Wrong wrong wrong if folks think COVID is always mild illness

8 days in still unwell

Isolation on a cruise ship horrid

Wait another while to cruise

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Cate1 said:

Home … observations

It’s a roll of dice , cruising is high risk activity re Covid

Triple vaccinated , no prior health issues

Worked for 2 years as health care professional , no covid

first vacation and got COVID about 8 days in

wore N95 ( only applicable mask ) and never shared an elevator 

was careful

Wrong wrong wrong if folks think COVID is always mild illness

8 days in still unwell

Isolation on a cruise ship horrid

Wait another while to cruise

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am of the firm belief that there is absolutely nothing we can do to keep Covid off ships. There is no such thing as protection from catching the virus. Those with comorbidity may want to reconsider high density vacation choices.  Perhaps forever. 

I do hope you feel better quickly.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 3:19 AM, oakridger said:

Thanks for responding about the disposable plates.  Oceana's approach about food really makes the most sense to me.  HAL, please do better!

The fact that oceana is using regular plates probably helps with keeping food the appropriate temperature. Bravo oceana. 

@Cate1thank you for sharing all this.  I’m so sorry you are still not feeling well.  I can only imagine the isolation being horrid.  I’ve read several on here & Princess and most are like what you’ve said.  It’s sad that the staff can’t figure out how to better handle people in isolation.  What worries me is if someone is alone and ignored, they could die.  They need to have assigned people to check on the ones in isolation if they need anything.  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 11:47 PM, oakridger said:

I am curious as to why HAL is still using paper plates and no carafes for hot water, etc. CCers on other mainstream lines have reported that people in isolation are served on regular dinnerware and wine glasses too!  All dishes should be washed at temperatures to kill all types of germs in the normal practices so why make isolation folks use paper and plastic (compostable?) utensils?  I truly would like to be informed!  

Thanks,

~Nancy

I was reading about this on another thread.  Here's what it says:

here's the cruise ship guidance for anyone else who's wondering what cruise lines that have opted into the new program have agreed to follow.

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC (this covers crew and passengers

As was explained to us (while we were in isolation on Zuiderdam), by agreeing to follow the new program guidelines, HAL cannot pick and choose which things to follow.  So if another cruise line chooses to serve food in non-disposable dinnerware as an example, they are not following what they agreed to do, assuming they have opted into the new CDC program.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 7:56 AM, HappyInVan said:

The Lido was probably the culprit. I'll only dine during offpeak hours. Will miss the MDR and Gala.

Please don't do that for COVID's sake. We just disembarked Zuiderdam on March 22nd, and enjoyed every second of every day; unmasked 24/7. MDR was wonderful, and so was Lido.

Tested negative 5 days after returning home, so all is good. Of course we are quadruple vaxed, and have had/recovered from the virus, so that probably helped! 🙂

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, HappyInVan said:

The Lido was probably the culprit. I'll only dine during offpeak hours. Will miss the MDR and Gala.

I think it’s far more risky to be in the entertainment venues then the lido.  When there are only 500 to 700 people onboard it should be fairly easy to sit way from others.   In entertainment venues you are cheek to jowl.  I have no interest in sitting that close to others speaking only for myself.

• Like 2

I’m so sorry that you got Covid and had to experience quarantine.  It was interesting to me to see what has changed since I did 10 days of quarantine In January.  I am so glad that they finally are giving a letter to people explaining how everything works.  I had several conversations with both guest services on the ship and with Seattle headquarters about this. We were dumped in our room and had no idea how to do anything.  I’m glad they have fixed that part.  They really need to give real dinnerware however.  

There is no excuse to putting you in a dirty room.  I’m sure none of the staff wants to walk into those rooms but you shouldn’t have to worry about germs from previous guests.  I didn’t feel they should have to come into my room when I was there but I would have been horrified to arrive at a dirty room.  

Covid cases are going to be on every ship.  It’s a chance you have to decide you are ready to take if you want to cruise.  I have a friend who met a group of singles on a recent cruise.  One by one they all got Covid.  All were vaccinated and boosted.   I’m sure not ready to hop onboard to experience it again.  

Edited by Riversedge
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

I’m so sorry that you got Covid and had to experience quarantine.  It was interesting to me to see what has changed since I did 10 days of quarantine In January.  I am so glad that they finally are giving a letter to people explaining how everything works.  I had several conversations with both guest services on the ship and with Seattle headquarters about this. We were dumped in our room and had no idea how to do anything.  I’m glad they have fixed that part.  They really need to give real dinnerware however.  

There is no excuse to putting you in a dirty room.  I’m sure none of the staff wants to walk into those rooms but you shouldn’t have to worry about germs from previous guests.  I didn’t feel they should have to come into my room when I was there but I would have been horrified to arrive at a dirty room.  

Covid cases are going to be on every ship.  It’s a chance you have to decide you are ready to take if you want to cruise.  I have a friend who met a group of singles on a recent cruise.  One by one they all got Covid.  All were vaccinated and boosted.   I’m sure not ready to hop onboard to experience it again.  

I was worried about testing  positive on my cruises because I’m Canadian and I was doing b2b so lots of testing.  Thank goodness I have not had covid to this point and that I never tested positive.  The worry is real.  It’s much appreciated that people share their experiences so we can all make informed decisions.  Thank you.

• Like 2

Just now, HappyInVan said:

May I introduce you to Mr. N95?

Is there anyone wearing them? Not from what I’ve seen personally walking through the area.  I’m one of the very few that has worn a mask anywhere on the ship indoors.  Mask or not I’m not interested in being that close to others while the pandemic is still ongoing while on vacation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Is there anyone wearing them? Not from what I’ve seen personally walking through the area.  I’m one of the very few that has worn a mask anywhere on the ship indoors.  Mask or not I’m not interested in being that close to others while the pandemic is still ongoing while on vacation.

Agree.  There are circumstances in life where it's best to avoid covid as well as other unfortunate and unecessary bad juju.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Based on our experience on Zuiderdam last week, only about 10% of all passengers were wearing any kind of mask... N95 or otherwise. 100% of staff wore them..

That is what bothers me. HAL requires their hard working staff to wear masks 100% of the time, but not passengers. Doesn't that send a message that they care more about their staff(as they should) than us passengers? Required for staff, but not for us?

Doug

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, echoshipmate said:

That is what bothers me. HAL requires their hard working staff to wear masks 100% of the time, but not passengers. Doesn't that send a message that they care more about their staff(as they should) than us passengers? Required for staff, but not for us?

Doug

In reality, wearing a mask is more protective of others, not the wearer.  So requiring crew to wear masks means they care about the passengers more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

In reality, wearing a mask is more protective of others, not the wearer.  So requiring crew to wear masks means they care about the passengers more.

So by passengers not wearing masks doesn't that mean passengers are not caring enough about the crew? It's their livelihood, families at home counting on them. Sounds selfish to me.

Doug

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, echoshipmate said:

So by passengers not wearing masks doesn't that mean passengers are not caring enough about the crew? It's their livelihood, families at home counting on them. Sounds selfish to me.

Doug

I’ve said it before I wear mine out of respect for the crew.  Also being from Canada it seems to me we’ve had to wear them almost everywhere we’ve gone for a very long time, at least where I live.  I still try to maintain 6 feet of space when possible. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve said it before I wear mine out of respect for the crew.  Also being from Canada it seems to me we’ve had to wear them almost everywhere we’ve gone for a very long time, at least where I live.  I still try to maintain 6 feet of space when possible. 

We wear ours's when out of the cabin, except eating and drinking and avoid gatherings, just being aware of surroundings. No shows, no problem for us. So far, so good with over 84 days since the re-start!

• Like 1