Another Transatlantic covid story

AussieGirlKaz

Hi All

I wanted to share my experience so far.

I am on the Constellation and on my 4th full day of isolation.

On Day 7 I was identified as a close contact of a covid case and was initially tested and negative. I would have had to have been tested for the next 5 days.  That night i developed a dry cough and that morning tested Covid positive. 

I was then moved to Level 2 room with an ocean view for what it's worth.

I have not seen a person since then other than the daily nurse visit in full PPE (understandably), and only the regular calls from room service for my food orders and check in from the front desk.

I was in Aqua class and still have access to the Blu menu and drinks. The food comes in throw away boxes and pretty much has the texture and taste of cardboard. My taste buds are ok my symptoms have been limited and seemed to be only sneezing..tho am half certain now that I was sneezing due to the flowers on the room, as it stopped when I threw them out lol.

Finally have some ability to stream after being at sea.

Have been told there will be some refund or FCC but the amount seems small given pretty much 1/2 the trip is spent in a box.

I was travelling alone so while used to being on my own having no real conversations a day is hard 

They do try and look after your basic needs but not much thought is given to the mental aspect. There is a huge amount of work that can be done in this area. 

I have made a routine for the day which includes making my bed, cleaning the room, some sort of movement to try differentiate the day from night. Even got dressed up to simulate formal night.

Even tho this is the opposite to how I wanted to spend my time I would still cruise again... life is too short for what ifs.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 6

What could be a very disappointing situation, has been met by a positive attitude and resilience.  I think using the Internet as a resource for connection is smart.  One gets the impression you are a resourceful person.  Please do take care of yourself.

If I may,    Good on Ya!

Edited by cruisefam38
  • Like 8

I’m sorry you are ill and hope you recover soon. I appreciate your positive attitude, and hope you will continue to use CC for some semblance of your daily conversations.  

It seems quite apparent that more could be done by Celebrity in terms of the “mental aspect.”  That’s precisely why the CDC has put balcony cabins on the list to be considered for passengers in isolation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Confused.

The deck two cabins on the Constellation are used to quarantine crew, not passengers.

We had booked a deck two cabin for our Constellation cruise and was moved to a balcony on Deck 6. We were told at check in that our cabin was taken to be used for crew quarantine.

Passenger quarantine area was on a higher deck (deck 7?) and were balconies.

Other posters on this forum have been given the same information.

You state you are traveling alone and yet was identified as a close contact of someone who tested positive. Curious to know how you were tracked as a close contact.

8 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Confused.

The deck two cabins on the Constellation are used to quarantine crew, not passengers.

We had booked a deck two cabin for our Constellation cruise and was moved to a balcony on Deck 6. We were told at check in that our cabin was taken to be used for crew quarantine.

Passenger quarantine area was on a higher deck (deck 7?) and were balconies.

Other posters on this forum have been given the same information.

You state you are traveling alone and yet was identified as a close contact of someone who tested positive. Curious to know how you were tracked as a close contact.

I had been dancing and interacted with the contact. So yes I got it having a fun old time. But had been speaking with the person I was dancing with before hand and we had exchanged names and types of rooms.

Deck 6 and 7 are definitely in use this cruise. Was told that no balcony cabins could be supported and these rooms gave the HVAC in place. These are the only isolation rooms in use. Attached is the view of the Dock on Seville

16512696867173376911211767185529.jpg

• Like 1

OP sorry you had to go through this.  If I quarantine, I'll be wearing my pajamas for the 5 days.  I plan to load up my phone with videos and books.  So maybe that will get me through.  Saw my doctor for a physical yesterday.  I asked for another booster.  He said, come back in August or September.   Cruise is late Sept.

• Like 3

Celebrity policy of isolating folks in a cabin without a balcony is very unfortunate and inconsiderate of the mental health issue and really not very humane. As I understand it, the CDC recommends that  isolated passengers be given access to an open window when possible. Excuse they have put out that it is necessary to house you close to the medical office is BS. We have one 7 day Celebrity cruise scheduled for October to Mexico. We may take a chance and go ahead with it. However,  longer "bucket list" cruise to Australia/NZ planned for 2023 is now out of the question due to this "no balcony" isolation policy. 

• Like 7

Sorry OP that your cruise turned into an isolating experience. I have traveled solo in the past and caught West Nile virus once after hiking in Vermont. It stinks to be alone when you're sick and traveling, but at least I was free to move about (and go home). I feel for you.

Seems like the least they could do is offer you library books and the daily crossword, etc. Hope you recover quickly and get home safely.

• Thanks 1

I would order extra food. Maybe there will be one thing that is appealing out of what's delivered. Fruit, dessert, wine, a beer - I don't think calories count in isolation.  Pastries, muffins, bagels, rolls. You seem to be good at making yourself happy. Food would be another way. Chocolate chip cookies, milk, chips, pretzels, popcorn. Who knows what junk food might be available if you ask. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So sorry you caught covid.  I’m impressed that you dressed up for formal night. I spent all of my Silhouette jail time wearing sweats. (I slept a lot. Fatigue was and still is an issue for me.)

Was your food delivered cold? If it’s something that can be remedied give Room Service a call. I’m guessing there were some complaints on Silhouette since Room Service starting calling me after meals were delivered asking if everything was OK and if I wanted anything else.

Don’t hesitate to call Guest Services if you need anything.

Hope your antigen retests are negative and you get out of jail. I flunked.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AussieGirlKaz said:

Hi All

I wanted to share my experience so far.

I am on the Constellation and on my 4th full day of isolation.

On Day 7 I was identified as a close contact of a covid case and was initially tested and negative. I would have had to have been tested for the next 5 days.  That night i developed a dry cough and that morning tested Covid positive. 

I was then moved to Level 2 room with an ocean view for what it's worth.

I have not seen a person since then other than the daily nurse visit in full PPE (understandably), and only the regular calls from room service for my food orders and check in from the front desk.

I was in Aqua class and still have access to the Blu menu and drinks. The food comes in throw away boxes and pretty much has the texture and taste of cardboard. My taste buds are ok my symptoms have been limited and seemed to be only sneezing..tho am half certain now that I was sneezing due to the flowers on the room, as it stopped when I threw them out lol.

Finally have some ability to stream after being at sea.

Have been told there will be some refund or FCC but the amount seems small given pretty much 1/2 the trip is spent in a box.

I was travelling alone so while used to being on my own having no real conversations a day is hard 

They do try and look after your basic needs but not much thought is given to the mental aspect. There is a huge amount of work that can be done in this area. 

I have made a routine for the day which includes making my bed, cleaning the room, some sort of movement to try differentiate the day from night. Even got dressed up to simulate formal night.

Even tho this is the opposite to how I wanted to spend my time I would still cruise again... life is too short for what ifs.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but I love the attitude.  We are hoping to catch Constellation's westward TA in October--but not catch COVID, so I am reading with great interest.

Sorry about the isolation and loneliness, too.  It is not the same, but we are here for you to converse with.

What part of Australia are you from?

David

Covid happens and I know it might happen to me, but this isolation on Deck 3 sounds worse than the illness itself. We bought the premium drink package. I wonder if they deliver cocktails? If so, I'd keep the staff hustling from the bar to my cell on 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dear OP...I am so sorry that this is happening to you.  Bear in mind, you are not alone!  We are here to talk and laugh with you anytime day or night.  What a tough time you are having now but you sound like a strong, intelligent and fierce individual.  Continue to fly!

• Like 1

I wonder how the passengers feel who can only afford inside or outside Oceanview cabins.   Everyone says that staying in these cabins is inhumane.    Will those staying in an inside room be upgraded to an Oceanview room if they are placed in isolation.   I know you are in isolation but it is hardly jail.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I wonder how the passengers feel who can only afford inside or outside Oceanview cabins.   Everyone says that staying in these cabins is inhumane.    Will those staying in an inside room be upgraded to an Oceanview room if they are placed in isolation.   I know you are in isolation but it is hardly jail.

How  can you compare choosing to book an inside cabin to use to sleep and shower only and being confined to the same cabin for five or more days, without a breath of fresh air?  And yes, it would be nice if everyone had access to fresh air, no exceptions. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Um..there's a difference between booking those cabins and being able to traverse the ship, dining in restaurants, visiting the pool, having a drink at a bar versus someone being TOTALLY CONFINED to the cabin unable to leave.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.  Though none of us wants to end up in quarantine, it is still a slight possibility.  it is too bad that you met someone, but then ended up on isolation; however, your response is positive and you do have some sort of routine.  I hope you have a speedy recovery without any lingering symptoms.  Good Luck!

11 hours ago, AussieGirlKaz said:

I have made a routine for the day which includes making my bed, cleaning the room, some sort of movement to try differentiate the day from night.

Your account is very enlightening. Can't even imagine at our ages enduring something you are experiencing. Life is frustrating to begin with let alone compounded by this covid and draconian cruise line policies to stem the spread. The reason we all choose to cruise is to alleviate our life frustrations. Contributing to our anxieties could lead to more serious complications. Many of us no longer have the ambition to take on more than we can handle. You ,on the other hand, appear to have the fortitude for a six month excursion to the planet Mars should you so desire.

• Like 1

If Celebrity did not isolate the passengers testing positive would most likely continue to spread the virus.   The antigen test shows that you are capable of spreading the virus whether or not you have symptoms.   Prospective passengers should be aware of the probable isolation rules before they make the decision to cruise.       The fact that some passengers have been allowed to isolate in their own cabins should not cause other passengers to expect similar experiences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

If Celebrity did not isolate the passengers testing positive would most likely continue to spread the virus.   The antigen test shows that you are capable of spreading the virus whether or not you have symptoms.   Prospective passengers should be aware of the probable isolation rules before they make the decision to cruise.       The fact that some passengers have been allowed to isolate in their own cabins should not cause other passengers to expect similar experiences.

Why would SOME passengers then get to stay in their own cabins? I get the isolation, but inside rooms 24/7 are a bit much, don’t you think? 

• Like 4