What Bucket List Item Failed to Live Up to Expectations?

mnocket

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I loved it; have visited it several times. 

I especially enjoyed climbing up to the rooftop (separate ticket) and getting to see the gargoyles and the bells up close, not to mention the stupendous view. I also happened to be up there at noon when the bells ring -- definitely something I consider one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences. 

Once when we were there over the week between Christmas and New Years, you could go inside and see an exhibit of all kinds of creches/nativity scenes from the very humble to the fancy. Again, very interesting and something that has stayed with me.

I've seen many of the spectacular cathedrals and churches of the world. I'm one of those who love to visit churches. My favorite was a small wooden church built in the 1400s in se Poland. Many of the walls were painted with scenes from the Tartar invasion.

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dolittle said:

Funny you should mention Notre Dame .Love Europe and historic buildings but Notre Dame did not do much for me.

Another vote for Notre Dame did not do much for me, though I believe DW did get more from the experience of being there.

On 12/18/2022 at 5:08 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Yes - at the Old Pier, gradually rotting away - but I must acknowledge I was happier to be there - in mid-February than at home port Norfolk. 

When you were there, was the "Black Witch" still moored nearby - an old schooner converted to a restaurant/night club-- you needed a water taxi to get to?

I can't remember that one.  We were more on St. John than St Thomas.  We were camping over at Cinnamon Bay campground in the NP.  

On 12/19/2022 at 6:15 AM, Ashland said:

Arctic Circle this past July .... Many of the ports were just big cities...Geiranger & Bergen were a favorite but that's only two out of 6 ports. Glad we did this itinerary at least once but won't repeat it like we do other's. 

Sounds like you probably should have done an expedition style cruise if you were looking for something with less big cities. Only the smaller ships can stop at the little towns or wilderness areas. 

On 12/19/2022 at 7:53 PM, ontheweb said:

Another vote for Notre Dame did not do much for me, though I believe DW did get more from the experience of being there.

Every time I visit it, I am struck by the sheer hubris of the architects, carpenters, stone smiths in the 1100s who set out to create such a soaring creation nearly 1,000 years ago. I love the stained glass windows (especially the rose windows), the carved entrance wall, the flying buttresses. (In fact I've been known to have brunch in a cafe just across the river from the flank of Notre Dame so I can study them.)

It moves me so much more than does St. Peter's, for example....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Every time I visit it, I am struck by the sheer hubris of the architects, carpenters, stone smiths in the 1100s who set out to create such a soaring creation nearly 1,000 years ago. I love the stained glass windows (especially the rose windows), the carved entrance wall, the flying buttresses. (In fact I've been known to have brunch in a cafe just across the river from the flank of Notre Dame so I can study them.)

Agreed - medieval magic beats Italian Renaissance.

On 12/21/2022 at 5:47 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I couldn't agree more about Notre Dame.  And about 400 yards away is another even older gem, Sainte Chapelle. 

• Like 4

Lots of cruises, and could fill the text box with a couple of excursions that did little for me. But, let me open the can of worms and say New Orleans. 
 I've had at least a dozen trips for meetings, conventions and personal vacations and it's gone down hill in the past decade. I'm the same with Las Vegas, but a larger number will agree with me on that city. 
 Opinions are like _____ , we all have them and the aroma is different.

See you at sea. 

I agree both Vegas and New Orleans have lost much of their appeal, but I've never considered them bucket list items......  of course if I'd never been to either of them they very well might have made the list. Funny how that works.

6 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I agree both Vegas and New Orleans have lost much of their appeal, but I've never considered them bucket list items......  of course if I'd never been to either of them they very well might have made the list. Funny how that works.

Reality being what it is, I suspect that very many bucket list items, once checked off, leave the list-maker wondering why he ever put it in the list in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Reality being what it is, I suspect that very many bucket list items, once checked off, leave the list-maker wondering why he ever put it in the list in the first place.

I've been following this thread but haven't posted on it, because I can't think of any significant destination that my wife and I have visited where we've been disappointed.  Perhaps that's because we choose to visit places that we know from our own interests and research will be of interest to us, and not in order to check something off a list or because others have created expectations for us.

I've been wondering whether it's the case that some folks on this thread who have been posting their disappointments in "bucket list" items have gone to places out of an expectation created by others that it is something they would find interesting, exciting, etc. ("you MUST see Paris!"), rather than a self-generated desire to visit that place.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I've been following this thread but haven't posted on it, because I can't think of any significant destination that my wife and I have visited where we've been disappointed.  Perhaps that's because we choose to visit places that we know from our own interests and research will be of interest to us, and not in order to check something off a list or because others have created expectations for us.

I've been wondering whether it's the case that some folks on this thread who have been posting their disappointments in "bucket list" items have gone to places out of an expectation created by others that it is something they would find interesting, exciting, etc. ("you MUST see Paris!"), rather than a self-generated desire to visit that place.

Thank you -- you beautifully put into words what I have been musing over. 

I also feel that, for myself anyway, the research I do before a trip helps ensure that the expectations match the reality.

Edited by cruisemom42

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

My understanding of the question is that bucket list item is something you yourself really desire to experience. That was why with my answer I said that none of my bucket list items has ever disappointed me but some famous places have.

I find myself usually dividing tourist destinations into three categories, the bucket list obviously something I really want to visit and will make every effort to visit even if it is out of the way. They can be famous but they can also be obscure like Montsegur or Semuc Champey. For me it is a pretty small list because it is highly personal. Second category is the curiosity list, places I keep hearing are amazing and I want to experience for myself. This is probably my longest list😂. I won't move heaven and earth to visit but when I know I'm visiting the area I will make a point to visit that attraction. Even if it is disappointing I still find satisfying a curiosity to be fulfilling. The third category is the let's just tick it off list. It is something usually really famous that I have little interest in but because I am nearby I figure let's just check it out. This sometimes can be surprising maybe because I have no or low expectations😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thank you -- you beautifully put into words what I have been musing over. 

I also feel that, for myself anyway, the research I do before a trip helps ensure that the expectations match the reality.

Thank you!

And I will add that the research you do, which you are so kind in sharing, has helped so many others here evaluate, plan, and enjoy their own trips.   (An aside: after a years-long delay because of the pandemic, we are hoping this coming fall finally to stay at the Albergo del Senato.  🙂 )

My actual "must do before I kick the bucket"  list is pretty short and pretty much accomplished.   What I do and see these days while traveling is just mainly for enjoyment.  Not to say some famous attractions, not on my bucket list, have not been as spectacular as advertised (little mermaid).  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

My understanding of the question is that bucket list item is something you yourself really desire to experience. That was why with my answer I said that none of my bucket list items has ever disappointed me but some famous places have.

I find myself usually dividing tourist destinations into three categories, the bucket list obviously something I really want to visit and will make every effort to visit even if it is out of the way. They can be famous but they can also be obscure like Montsegur or Semuc Champey. For me it is a pretty small list because it is highly personal. Second category is the curiosity list, places I keep hearing are amazing and I want to experience for myself. This is probably my longest list😂. I won't move heaven and earth to visit but when I know I'm visiting the area I will make a point to visit that attraction. Even if it is disappointing I still find satisfying a curiosity to be fulfilling. The third category is the let's just tick it off list. It is something usually really famous that I have little interest in but because I am nearby I figure let's just check it out. This sometimes can be surprising maybe because I have no or low expectations😉

Good point.  I suppose one could consider a bucket list to have sub-categories (e.g. Must See, Curious, If I get the chance, etc.) OR one could consider only Must See items to qualify.  To be honest I'm not sure it's so cut-an-dry for me.  For example 2 items from my Bucket List that I have planned for the near future are 1) Norwegian Fjords cruise and 2) Amazon cruise. Why?  Simply because they are places so very different from home and I'd like to see them.  Are these Must Do or just Couriousity?  To be honest I don't really care.  To me it's a distinction without a difference.

Now another "Bucket List" item for me is to see the Northern Lights.  I'd REALLY love to see them, however I can't say it's a Must Do item since I don't plan to make the attempt.  My research left me with the impression that it can be quite expensive and that it's a hit-or-miss  gamble with many reports of people spending a week or more in artic "resorts" going out every night at 1am to viewing areas in freezing conditions and never experiencing the Northern Lights.  I chose to spend my remaining time and money on more "reliable" endeavors. 

So maybe, at least for me, there aren't really any Must Do items - that is things that I will do come hell or high water.  I mean if seeing the Northern Lights were truly a Must Do item, I could book an artic excursion for a month or more and pretty much guarantee I'd see the lights. Ain't gonna do it. 

When I think about it..... is there really any experience that is Must Do for me in the sense that I'm 100% committed to doing it no mater what the cost, difficulty, danger, etc.....?  It's easy to say something is Must Do when it's within your resources (financial, time, etc.), but much different when it's not.🙂

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 9:51 AM, ldubs said:

My actual "must do before I kick the bucket"  list is pretty short and pretty much accomplished.   What I do and see these days while traveling is just mainly for enjoyment.  Not to say some famous attractions, not on my bucket list, have not been as spectacular as advertised (little mermaid).  

On 12/29/2022 at 1:00 PM, cruisemom42 said:

To be fair, they do warn you that she is "Little".  🤣

Another "attraction" that was a complete disappointment was the Fish Church in Gothenburg.  We walked over to it along the waterway from Kingsgate Av.  Nice walk.  Got there to find the place completely boarded up.    This was one time a little more research would have paid off.  haha.   

On 12/29/2022 at 12:51 PM, ldubs said:

Not to say some famous attractions, not on my bucket list, have not been as spectacular as advertised (little mermaid).  

On 12/29/2022 at 4:00 PM, cruisemom42 said:

To be fair, they do warn you that she is "Little".  🤣

Before a pre-cruise visit to Copenhagen several years ago, we'd read enough about the Little Mermaid to know we would not go out of our way to see her from land.  It did, however, turn out to be fun to view this scene from our (wonderful) canal cruise:

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQZn3JXmtuMQTrVJ2x7K9qAVqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1625502957

(photo by turtles06)

Speaking of Copenhagen, and no offense to anyone, it's not a city we would have visited independent of other travel (e.g., it's not like London or Paris to us), but we really enjoyed it and are very glad we had the opportunity to spend several days there (and also outside the city).  So that's a sort of reverse of this thread: what places have you visited that you did not expect to enjoy as much as you did? 🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

So that's a sort of reverse of this thread: what places have you visited that you did not expect to enjoy as much as you did? 🙂 

Tallinn, Estonia, although I had read only great reviews, I did not expect it to be as wonderful as it was.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Before a pre-cruise visit to Copenhagen several years ago, we'd read enough about the Little Mermaid to know we would not go out of our way to see her from land.  It did, however, turn out to be fun to view this scene from our (wonderful) canal cruise:

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQZn3JXmtuMQTrVJ2x7K9qAVqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1625502957

(photo by turtles06)

Speaking of Copenhagen, and no offense to anyone, it's not a city we would have visited independent of other travel (e.g., it's not like London or Paris to us), but we really enjoyed it and are very glad we had the opportunity to spend several days there (and also outside the city).  So that's a sort of reverse of this thread: what places have you visited that you did not expect to enjoy as much as you did? 🙂 

We have had that same view from the canal boat tour!   We have been lucky to have been able to visit Copenhagen 3 or 4 times, and I would be happy to go again.  It is a great city for just wandering around.  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 3:14 PM, Turtles06 said:

No, not at all. I think most people know what a bucket list is and its NOT what you're saying. Kind of rude actually to say that the people who have responded here about a disappointment is because we are simpletons and can't think for ourselves.