Has Celebrity heard us? Isolation is not so bad after all……

VitaminSea53

8 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

The 2 others who gave extensive day by day reports were also suite guests.  They were treated miserably.

We happen to have been one of those.   We were in a RS but tested one day before end of cruise at B2B testing.   We were unable to get lunch and waited for 3 hours or dinner finally getting it about 9:30 PM only after raising the roof.

In our case, and maybe it was all the B2B's that tested positive and the last night of the cruise but no one would even answer the Room Service Phone nor Front Desk.   I'm not sure what you would do in an emergency.  Thank goodness when someone delivered some documents they gave me the Retreat Hosts phone number and she came to our rescue. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I have developed a pretty bad cold after foolishly standing on the windy deck in Ketchikan for a while and been high on Tylenol Severe Cold for two days now (which I thankfully had with me). Obviously I'm not reporting this to the medical team, knowing the origin of it, even though I've casually mentioned it to a few people including officers and they didn't care either.

Congrats on knowing you caught a cold from the chilly exposure. I would not report it to medical either. I would write it up for the New England Journal of Medicine.

Hint: Cold weather can make you susceptible to catching a cold, but cannot cause one. A cold is caused by a virus,, which if you missed the past 2 years, is transmitted by people (or sometimes animals).

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

To oversimplify the point of the thread, its just wrong to isolate anyone in a room without a veranda for days or possibly over a week, so they should not keep any Inside staterooms or OVs for isolation staterooms.  Some may be on team "you isolate in the same stateroom category you booked" so if one books an Inside stateroom then they need to isolate in an inside.  However, the majority of those who book inside cabins do so because they're never in their room therefore isolation is hard of them.  Also imagine being stuck in an isolation Inside stateroom on an Alaskan cruise.

I personally would not want to be isolated for days on a ship in an Inside cabin.  An Oceanview would be better but still not good for me.  If I had a choice I would want at minimum the ability to get fresh outside air (balcony or IV).    I would imagine most would agree with this.  But is it wrong to isolate in Inside cabins as you stated?  Unpleasant yes, wrong probably not depending on circumstances on board.  The ship needs to consider operations, logistics,  number of positives onboard, etc.  I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they know that infected passengers strongly prefer the ability to get fresh air.  It might not be possible in some cases.  Unfortunately this is reality of cruising right now.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

As we toy with the idea of a Med cruise this summer it's really hard to decipher the reality. It certainly seems like there was room for improvement regarding communication. But as soon as some of these accounts start throwing around their draconian treatment, inhumane, panic attacks at the thought of a room without a balcony, meltdowns and all of this totally over the top theatric, it really makes it difficult to assess what's really going on. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

panic attacks at the thought of a room without a balcony

On land, nobody would get a balcony if quarantined in a hotel room. But it likely would have quite a bit more room. Anyone claustrophobic might have a serious problem. For my wife, it is the knowledge that she cannot get out that makes it scary. Me? No problem. Kind of like motion sickness--if you don't suffer from it, it is hard to imagine what it is like....

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

As we toy with the idea of a Med cruise this summer it's really hard to decipher the reality. It certainly seems like there was room for improvement regarding communication. But as soon as some of these accounts start throwing around their draconian treatment, inhumane, panic attacks at the thought of a room without a balcony, meltdowns and all of this totally over the top theatric, it really makes it difficult to assess what's really going on. 

As I am someone who is in the thick of things at the moment , perhaps I can pull back the curtain for you. 
If you test positive for Covid having sailed into Rome or Departing from Rome you are effectively screwed. 
You will be sent to a quarantine cabin. You cannot even think about leaving until you test negative on Day 7. If you test positive  on that date, you will test again on Day 12. 
Quarantine  has improved considerably since arriving in Mediterranean waters. 
My husband tested positive before Madiera. 
He was sent to Deck 12. Every meal was served tepid, on paper products. 
When we arrived in Rome the quarantine passengers were moved to Deck 6. 
Food was served on china plates and as for the crystal, we are not sure of that as we have not ordered champagne. 
At all times the Quarantine passengers on Edge were in Infinite Balconies .
My husbands first cabin post Rome was in one which did not have a window which could be opened. 
I was still able to help coordinate his care. 
And then I was not. 
I tested positive for Covid. 
I was moved out of our Suite and I am with him now. 
He tested Negative yesterday but has chosen to stay with me until I recover. 
Champagne is not on order as I am far too weak to enjoy it. 
As for theatrics and panic attacks, perhaps you have never been in a situation such as ours. 
None of us who have been through this expected our cruises to turn out this way. 
We were using the Edge as our mode of transportation for our dream three week cruise in the Owners suite on Regal Princess. 
We had one day between cruises. My husband was re-tested at Day 7 on the final day of this cruise. Had he passed he would somehow be able to board Regal. He failed again. We had decisions that had to be made, over a 6 hour time difference as we approached a weekend. 

I am certain that your choice of words was made in haste and you are not normally so condescending but if you are then I am certain you will have a great time in Quarantine. It is quite the learning experience. IT humbles you. 

Edited by bananavan
not enough rage
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We happen to have been one of those.   We were in a RS but tested one day before end of cruise at B2B testing.   We were unable to get lunch and waited for 3 hours or dinner finally getting it about 9:30 PM only after raising the roof.

In our case, and maybe it was all the B2B's that tested positive and the last night of the cruise but no one would even answer the Room Service Phone nor Front Desk.   I'm not sure what you would do in an emergency.  Thank goodness when someone delivered some documents they gave me the Retreat Hosts phone number and she came to our rescue. 

We should have special shoes made up for us and 360Guys and the others who came before on Transatlantic. 
Who knows, they might catch on and people could try wearing them for a mile at a time, 
We have been blessed that the Daytime Room Service person is the wife of our Butler.
The evening one is not very nice, but at least we have one who loves us and takes such good care of us. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bananavan said:

As I am someone who is in the thick of things at the moment , perhaps I can pull back the curtain for you. 
If you test positive for Covid having sailed into Rome or Departing from Rome you are effectively screwed. 
You will be sent to a quarantine cabin. You cannot even think about leaving until you test negative on Day 7. If you test positive  on that date, you will test again on Day 12. 
Quarantine  has improved considerably since arriving in Mediterranean waters. 
My husband tested positive before Madiera. 
He was sent to Deck 12. Every meal was served tepid, on paper products. 
When we arrived in Rome the quarantine passengers were moved to Deck 6. 
Food was served on china plates and as for the crystal, we are not sure of that as we have not ordered champagne. 
At all times the Quarantine passengers on Edge were in Infinite Balconies .
My husbands first cabin post Rome was in one which did not have a window which could be opened. 
I was still able to help coordinate his care. 
And then I was not. 
I tested positive for Covid. 
I was moved out of our Suite and I am with him now. 
He tested Negative yesterday but has chosen to stay with me until I recover. 
Champagne is not on order as I am far too weak to enjoy it. 
As for theatrics and panic attacks, perhaps you have never been in a situation such as ours. 
None of us who have been through this expected our cruises to turn out this way. 
We were using the Edge as our mode of transportation for our dream three week cruise in the Owners suite on Regal Princess. 
We had one day between cruises. My husband was re-tested at Day 7 on the final day of this cruise. Had he passed he would somehow be able to board Regal. He failed again. We had decisions that had to be made, over a 6 hour time difference as we approached a weekend. 

I am certain that your choice of words was made in haste and you are not normally so condescending but if you are then I am certain you will have a great time in Quarantine. It is quite the learning experience. IT humbles you. 

So sorry to hear about your ruined vacation and this unfortunate (but now unfortunately common) situation.  Best of luck and thanks for posting your experience.  How are you getting home?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I have developed a pretty bad cold after foolishly standing on the windy deck in Ketchikan for a while and been high on Tylenol Severe Cold for two days now (which I thankfully had with me). Obviously I'm not reporting this to the medical team, knowing the origin of it, even though I've casually mentioned it to a few people including officers and they didn't care either.

We have to learn how to live with Covid. Locking people up because of it can't be the answer for the years to come.

Sorry you are sick but you can't catch a virus like your "cold" from the wind.  If you have Covid there's a chance you are spreading it to others who could get sicker than you  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I personally would not want to be isolated for days on a ship in an Inside cabin.  An Oceanview would be better but still not good for me.  If I had a choice I would want at minimum the ability to get fresh outside air (balcony or IV).    I would imagine most would agree with this.  But is it wrong to isolate in Inside cabins as you stated?  Unpleasant yes, wrong probably not depending on circumstances on board.  The ship needs to consider operations, logistics,  number of positives onboard, etc.  I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they know that infected passengers strongly prefer the ability to get fresh air.  It might not be possible in some cases.  Unfortunately this is reality of cruising right now.  

I'll dive a bit deeper the inside.  I just got off the 'Nox this past Friday, they blocked off sections of deck 6 which don't have any insides or OVs on the deck.  So right off the bat the decision was made to pick a deck without any insides or OVs which is a better solution than picking a deck/section that has insides and letting them remain empty.

Once in isolation, you have no idea how long you'll be in there but at worst it could be the entire sailing.  Also, if there's the "threat" of possibly being relocated to an inside for the entire sailing, then you have a lot more passengers would may elect to not seek medical attention/testing who may spread it all over the ship.

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

Sorry you are sick but you can't catch a virus like your "cold" from the wind.  If you have Covid there's a chance you are spreading it to others who could get sicker than you  

Unreal. Must have received the diagnoses from the 1934 New England Journal of Medicine. 

Wear a hat too. It prevents pneumonia. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I doubt it's a policy change. She might just be lucky in the sense that the ship had space and maybe some crew members took pity on her. It might also depend on ship management if they have gotten wind that their vessel earned itself a bad rep for shoddy treatment and it circulates online.

We have to learn how to live with Covid. Locking people up because of it can't be the answer for the years to come.

Are you isolating in your cabin?

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

“Head cold” SMH. Not sure when we will learn to live with this. The mutations appear to be getting weaker and weaker, especially for fully vaccinated people. 

Exactly. 
Were I writing my blog in 2019 I would have state that my husband seemed to have a bit of a headache when we arrived in Madiera and decided to stay onboard. We had already visited Funchal in 2018 and he decided to give it a pass. 
There was no reason to go to the Medical center because I was able to provide adequate care and he decided to rest up. 
INSTEAD: 
2022. UGHHHHHH
International Crisis team brought in to determine what to do with Americans bearing Gifts for the Greeks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

So sorry to hear about your ruined vacation and this unfortunate (but now unfortunately common) situation.  Best of luck and thanks for posting your experience.  How are you getting home?

Celebrity is taking care of that. 
Our original flights were attached to our now canceled Princess Cruise. 
There is a rockstar called Caitlyn, a Junior Officer  who has already changed our flights once. 
Then when I became sick, they had to be changed. 
Not sure at this point what those arrangements will be, but I feel assured that they will be wonderful. 
Our original flights were in Business Class, so finding flights become more difficult, but Caitlyn has worked  magic before. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'll dive a bit deeper the inside.  I just got off the 'Nox this past Friday, they blocked off sections of deck 6 which don't have any insides or OVs on the deck.  So right off the bat the decision was made to pick a deck without any insides or OVs which is a better solution than picking a deck/section that has insides and letting them remain empty.

Once in isolation, you have no idea how long you'll be in there but at worst it could be the entire sailing.  Also, if there's the "threat" of possibly being relocated to an inside for the entire sailing, then you have a lot more passengers would may elect to not seek medical attention/testing who may spread it all over the ship.

Yes this is a key point.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Hot Food, timely delivery and a cabin with access to fresh air

that truly is a cabin by cabin thing. 
Evenings are problematic. 
You have to order before 6pm otherwise it will take up to 90 minutes for it to arrive. 

And so far, there is only one person who claims that the isolation is great. That person has posted on the Facebook page. 
That person has not replied to other postings.
Simply too busy dancing the night away drinking champagne from Reidel glasses. 
That I might appear a bit annoyed at this is an understatement. 
Insisting that what I have posted is NOT True. 
As I stated on the Facebook post, my husband was originally in cabin 6227 (after being moved post Transatlantic) That is definitely a Panoramic Ocean VIEW. it does not have a window that opens. 
Like everyone else has posted regarding the isolation prior to arrival in Europe, the food was delivered and eaten from paper products. 
When he was moved to Deck 6 the meals improved in that. they were not as cold, and were served on real dishes and using actual flatware. 
Celebrity is doing a wonderful job trying to make this a tolerable experience but I will see about the champagne in Reidel for myself tomorrow night. I dont know what champagne is available in the Premium drinks package but I will order it anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Having a congestion from cold weather is common and doesn't mean you have a virus. I'm not living my life on the premise that I *might* have Covid. I guess there's the chance for everything in life. We *might* also have disease xyz but aren't testing ourselves for that, let alone isolate at home. Life goes on.

Anyway, off the ship today. It was an interesting cruise of this first Solstice Voyage. A bit rough around the edges in particular maintenance and service wise. If they are already this unorganized in the main areas I don't want to know how they treat people in isolation. Safe travels!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Are you isolating in your cabin?

Obviously not. Neither are any of the other folks. You hear people sneezing and coughing all over the place on this trip and that's not an exaggeration on my part.

So someone who thinks they got a cold from standing in the wind and doesn’t think it’s a Virus (we all do understand a cold is a virus, and you don’t get it from a cold wind, right?) and wont report it because they heard somebody else sneeze who I guess got the non-virus cold from the wind.

Got it.

My assumption is they Know it’s probably COVID. And they ‘obviously’ wouldn’t self isolate let alone contact the medical personnel.  But glad the poster brought Tylenol. I wonder if they brought along the leeches to draw the bad blood out too? 

Personally, the reason I’m concerned going on a cruise isn’t because I may get isolated, it is because there are people onboard who contract COVID, know it or suspect it, and hide it thus spreading it to so many others. But I face that situation here in my area, so unless it gets worse, I’ll enjoy my cruises. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

Having a congestion from cold weather is common and doesn't mean you have a virus. I'm not living my life on the premise that I *might* have Covid. I guess there's the chance for everything in life. We *might* also have disease xyz but aren't testing ourselves for that, let alone isolate at home. Life goes on.

Anyway, off the ship today. It was an interesting cruise of this first Solstice Voyage. A bit rough around the edges in particular maintenance and service wise. If they are already this unorganized in the main areas I don't want to know how they treat people in isolation. Safe travels!

So you prefer to ignorantly pass it on to everyone you come into contact with (if you have Covid)?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I doubt it's a policy change. She might just be lucky in the sense that the ship had space and maybe some crew members took pity on her. It might also depend on ship management if they have gotten wind that their vessel earned itself a bad rep for shoddy treatment and it circulates online.

Highly unlikely you got a cold from standing on the windy deck in Ketchican. More likely you are experiencing symptoms of Covid.  NOT mentioning this to the medical team has the potential to other staff, pax at risk.  Please don’t be selfish….and do the right thing.

I have a question that I'm sure someone on here can answer for me.  If you have no symptoms at all, how are people getting tested on cruise ships and finding out they have Covid? Is it all contact tracing?  Are their cabin stewards getting Covid and then all their particular passengers have to be tested?  I see all these posts about people testing positive, but wondering what lead up to them getting a test.....

Just curious.

I can only speak for Cunard- on my TA in March when passengers got tested postiv they all went into quarantaine in BALCONY CABINS! No matter what cabin they had in the first place.

Quarantaine without a balcony should and is not the done thing! Terrible idea!

I also agree, that step by step C-19 should be treated as cold- 99% - thanks to vaccination - are even milder then the usual flu.

• Like 3