"Where we ordered the Chops Filet Mignon in the MDR for an Additional $16.95".....WHAT???

I'm trying to find the video on youtube - a couple was in the MDR and ordered the Chops Filet Mignon dinner there for $16 and change.....WAIT.....why did I pre-book Chops then? Is this for real? If I can buy a Chops steak in the MDR for that price.....?? when I am paying nearly $50 each for the visit?

Edited by johnjen
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Umm, Chops is more than a piece of meat.

And FWIW, the preparation of that piece of meat is much better in the Chops kitchen vs MDR

You do have a good point. The ambiance, more serene! And, the route time from Chops to MDR? The meat is already just sitting, losing it's "rare" status....when I saw that on the video though, I didn't give what you said any thought. Thanks!

Do Chops for lunch. Same 8oz Filet, although apps & sides are fewer to choose from, but $21.95 in lieu of the dinner price. DW & DS both get the burger......Great way to spend a leisurely lunch with a few glasses of Vino. 

Edited by TYMAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's really all relative John.  I don't think the sides and desserts are any better than MDR. Which means I am paying for just the meat at $90.  I think paying the $17 is way better even if the prep is different in Chops.  But hey, to each their own.  The other specialties may be worth the extra, but to us Chops...not so much.  And Tyman, we did do lunch on Adventure  last month, and it was substandard to all other times we've done it. That's what made us decide to skip Chops from now on.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

Do Chops for lunch. Same 8oz Filet, although apps & sides are fewer to choose from, but $21.95 in lieu of the dinner price. DW & DS both get the burger......Great way to spend a leisurely lunch with a few glasses of Vino. 

Actually, the filet at night is 9 oz. But I agree that the 8 oz at lunch is just as good and you won’t really notice missing that extra ounce. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I'm trying to find the video on youtube - a couple was in the MDR and ordered the Chops Filet Mignon dinner there for $16 and change.....WAIT.....why did I pre-book Chops then? Is this for real? If I can buy a Chops steak in the MDR for that price.....?? when I am paying nearly $50 each for the visit?

For the price, you are getting a better quality of service and ambiance, plus nicer appetizers (love the size of the shrimps cocktail )and desserts as you want.  What I noticed on my recent Anthem sail, was that the sides are advertised as family style. but the portions are smaller than what I remember.

As a solo, it was worth as i used the D+ BOGO coupon and used it for Jamie's and the entire meal was fantastic.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Umm, Chops is more than a piece of meat.

And FWIW, the preparation of that piece of meat is much better in the Chops kitchen vs MDR

I would be interested in knowing what they would do that's different? Is the Chops Filet a prime as opposed to maybe a choice cut in the MDR? Also is there different seasoning?

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I would be interested in knowing what they would do that's different? Is the Chops Filet a prime as opposed to maybe a choice cut in the MDR? Also is there different seasoning?

By the nature of how you want your steak finished (rare, medium, well done, etc.) by the time it arrives at the MDR, if you ordered, say, rare, it will be well done by the time it reaches you at the MDR. And, the ambiance at Chops is more nicer and laid back than the MDR. Kudos again to John&LaLa for pointing it out to me.

Edited by johnjen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

For the price, you are getting a better quality of service and ambiance, plus nicer appetizers (love the size of the shrimps cocktail )and desserts as you want.  What I noticed on my recent Anthem sail, was that the sides are advertised as family style. but the portions are smaller than what I remember.

As a solo, it was worth as i used the D+ BOGO coupon and used it for Jamie's and the entire meal was fantastic.

I agree the sides were definitely smaller portions, on our 3 Anthem sailings this year.    

they destroyed the creamed spinach, used to be one of my favorites.    

Potatoes were "normal" size compared the monster potatoes we used to get served. 

I am not a fan of the location of Chops on Anthem.   I find the location on the radiance class ships - Serenade to be much nicer

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I find the location on the radiance class ships - Serenade to be much nicer

Schooner bar for cocktails then a few steps to chops - priceless😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

By the nature of how you want your steak finished (rare, medium, well done, etc.) by the time it arrives at the MDR, if you ordered, say, rare, it will be well done by the time it reaches you at the MDR

The Chops filet that is served in the MDR is prepared in the MDR galley. Each venue has its own dedicated galley. However, I’m not entirely sure the waiters in the MDR are trained to recognize anything other than medium or well done when taking an order.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I agree the sides were definitely smaller portions, on our 3 Anthem sailings this year.    

they destroyed the creamed spinach, used to be one of my favorites.    

Potatoes were "normal" size compared the monster potatoes we used to get served. 

I am not a fan of the location of Chops on Anthem.   I find the location on the radiance class ships - Serenade to be much nicer

Agree, the creamed was blah.  Also, the view looking at the lifeboats makes the experience a bit off.

Have never even thought about this, and we always sail in suites and frequently dine in suite by ordering room service from the MDR menu, but can you order the MDR version of the Chops filet from the suite room service?

Edited by orville99

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

It's really all relative John.  I don't think the sides and desserts are any better than MDR. Which means I am paying for just the meat at $90.  I think paying the $17 is way better even if the prep is different in Chops.  But hey, to each their own.  The other specialties may be worth the extra, but to us Chops...not so much.  And Tyman, we did do lunch on Adventure  last month, and it was substandard to all other times we've done it. That's what made us decide to skip Chops from now on.

Well, the shrimp in the appetizer is 100% better. MDR doesn't have the Berkshire pork belly, nor the goat cheese salad. Not sure what accompaniment are the same. 

Personally, I'm fine with the lamb chops in the MDR

We never make it to dessert

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Ccoked in a different broiler/grill for one. Plus it's cooked by staff that are likely more talented. Meat should be the same.

• Like 1

The C&A BOGO at Chops  cost us over $80  for the second person on a recent Harmony cruise.  It was a nice  experience but we are still deciding if it was worth the cost.  We took two family members and used  both our BOGOs  so it was in the $170 range.    Other evenings we had a lovely table in the dining room and frankly it never occurred to me to suggest we simply order the Chops Filet. 

Yes, the appetizers were good in Chops, the vegs just OK, but  the  dessert wasn't any better than the MDR. 

OP - thanks for the reminder.

M  

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Plus it's cooked by staff that are likely more talented.

Based on our recent experience in Chops on Harmony in April, this might currently be a stretch - my medium rare filet was raw, and DW's half chicken was Cornish game hen sized and overcooked to the point of inedibility - She could hardly cut it with my steak knife, and forget about trying to chew it.