Would RCCL let me bring aboard two 1-liter bottles of wine?

It’s a risk whichever way you try it. 9 times out of 10 you would probably get through, but there’s no saying..you could be the 1/10.

Princess would let you pay corkage on excess amounts, but don’t think it’s the same with RC , or even 1l bottles on Princess.

Sorry nothing helpful to add.

5 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I don't recall with Royal, but is there a fee imposed for wine brought onto the ship, or is that only if you take it to a restaurant to enjoy (corkage)?

No charge unless you bring the bottle to the MDR or restaurant and then there is a corkage fee, but I think they are not very diligent in charging it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 12:57 PM, rudeney said:

I've never had my carry-on wine bottles inspected.  They see them in the scanner and point me to another rep with a list who then checks off my room number.  

Nope, not even that.  It's never even mentioned.  

The strangest one was when we took a transatlantic and were bringing a bottle of bourbon to a Brit friend. I had it wrapped in bubble wrap in my carryon, and labeled with our room number, expecting them to take it at the port and hold it for me until debarkation.  They didn't say a word, so we put it in the safe for the duration.  

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 12:27 AM, Stockjock said:

I do understand that the usual limit is 2 750ml bottles of wine which can be brought aboard.

I like a particular Italian wine that, to my knowledge, only comes in 1 liter bottles.  It's not the double-sized 1.5 liter bottles, but rather, just a bit larger than the normal bottle.

If I tried to bring this aboard would they likely:

1. Waive it through.

2. Confiscate it.

3. Allow it only if an additional fee is paid at the time of boarding.

OK, I'll bite.  Most of us are drinking your native California wine.  I hope you are able to bend the rules and get your two 1 liter bottles on board.  Tell us more about this particular wine from Italy?

On 5/14/2022 at 5:08 PM, Stockjock said:

I took this pic on Carnival 5 years ago.  I tried to sneak booze aboard using Rum Runners.  They flagged my bag and then smiled as they poured it out.

That hurt.

23517514_10212401802374031_8026117380754540123_n.jpg

He smilin because he know it's gonna be a swell cocktail party later that night in his cabin!  LOL 

Seriously, tho .. I'm shocked they caught you with Rum Runners in a checked bag .. I've always gotten them through in mine with no problem ... bummer !!  😉

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2022 at 12:17 PM, pasodancer said:

Just a thought .......Give them a red herring..........something else very obvious to catch so that they will by-pass the bottles in your carry on.  Things that immediately pop in my mind - a clothes iron, clothes steamer, slew of old electrical extension cords, adult toys, etc.  No idea if it would work - any opinions?

Not likely.  They look at ALL the contents on x-ray, not just one.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:08 PM, Stockjock said:

I took this pic on Carnival 5 years ago.  I tried to sneak booze aboard using Rum Runners.  They flagged my bag and then smiled as they poured it out.

That hurt.

23517514_10212401802374031_8026117380754540123_n.jpg

Shoulda told them you were transporting medical urine samples and offer them to taste.

On another note, instead of dumping, would they let you just guzzle it all down on-the-spot?

You know... start the cruise off right!

Edited by BillHoo
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, F27TW said:

He smilin because he know it's gonna be a swell cocktail party later that night in his cabin!  LOL 

Seriously, tho .. I'm shocked they caught you with Rum Runners in a checked bag .. I've always gotten them through in mine with no problem ... bummer !!  😉

I didn't see him dump it out, lol.  I'll probably give the rum runners another try this time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gcelkk said:

OK, I'll bite.  Most of us are drinking your native California wine.  I hope you are able to bend the rules and get your two 1 liter bottles on board.  Tell us more about this particular wine from Italy?

Since you asked...

It's not my favorite wine ever, but it's a great deal for what I think is a very good wine.

Let's start with the price.  $10.99 per 1 liter bottle and if you buy 6 (different brands usually okay) bottles, it's $9.99.  I think it was on sale for $1 off, so only $8.99 for a liter.

The wine is D'amati Red Blend.  I think it gets a Vivino score of just under 4 (5 scale) and on the website of where I bought it (Total Wine and More), I believe they gave it 4.2.  I'd rate it 4 on a 5 scale.

It's a lot of wine for the money.  Plus, if they let it through, you're getting an extra 500 ml of wine onboard. 🙂

https://www.totalwine.com/wine/red-wine/red-blend/damati-red-blend/p/219502010?s=1006&igrules=true

12257728561182.png.webp

Edited by Stockjock

26 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I didn't see him dump it out, lol.  I'll probably give the rum runners another try this time.

What if you just wore them under your clothing?

I doubt the cruise terminals have the fancy body scanners that the airports use.

My last cruise, I think they just ran a magnetic wand over me and didn't even do a pat down.

32 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Since you asked...

It's not my favorite wine ever, but it's a great deal for what I think is a very good wine.

Let's start with the price.  $10.99 per 1 liter bottle and if you buy 6 (different brands usually okay) bottles, it's $9.99.  I think it was on sale for $1 off, so only $8.99 for a liter.

The wine is D'amati Red Blend.  I think it gets a Vivino score of just under 4 (5 scale) and on the website of where I bought it (Total Wine and More), I believe they gave it 4.2.  I'd rate it 4 on a 5 scale.

It's a lot of wine for the money.  Plus, if they let it through, you're getting an extra 500 ml of wine onboard. 🙂

https://www.totalwine.com/wine/red-wine/red-blend/damati-red-blend/p/219502010?s=1006&igrules=true

12257728561182.png.webp

Or NO WINE if they notice the difference in size. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Rum Runners!  I didn't know that was a thing until yesterday!

Was watching lots of videos on using them to smuggle alcohol onto a boat.

The way they successful smugglers do it is to put them in the pockets of jean pants and fold the clothes over.  Then put them dead center of mass in the suitcase to help thwart the scanners.

Saw a video where guys tried smuggling vodka in water bottles and got busted.  Security took out each bottle from the pack and gave it a shake to look for the tiny bubbles.

My favorite is the Freedom Flask which you wear like a fanny pack tucked in loose fitting shorts.

https://www.amazon.com/Sneaky-Booze-Hidden-Flask-Pouch/dp/B07G512GDD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=ELXAHV7VH7QM&keywords=Freedom+flask&qid=1652885362&sprefix=freedom+flask%2Caps%2C356&sr=8-2

• Like 1

January 2022 my famiily of three cruised on Holland America’s New Statendam from Port Everglades. My wife told me that we could bring on three bottles of wine so we purchased three at the local Publix Supermarket. As usual she was wrong and we were flagged by security at the terminal. We were advised to check with the Liquor Police Officer at the desk. He explained we could leave the wine with him and he would consume it with his friends onboard or we could pay twenty dollars plus the eighteen percent gratuity to carry it on. My wife signed the voucher and we were advised that the charges would go on our onboard account. We were pleasantly surprised that the sixty plus dollar charge never showed up on our account. The Liquor Police Officer was a member of the bar staff who I never saw during our ten day sailing.

• Haha 3

On 5/14/2022 at 12:27 AM, Stockjock said:

I do understand that the usual limit is 2 750ml bottles of wine which can be brought aboard.

I like a particular Italian wine that, to my knowledge, only comes in 1 liter bottles.  It's not the double-sized 1.5 liter bottles, but rather, just a bit larger than the normal bottle.

If I tried to bring this aboard would they likely:

1. Waive it through.

2. Confiscate it.

3. Allow it only if an additional fee is paid at the time of boarding.

Great question. I don't think it would get noticed though. And, confiscation - does this mean they keep it, or give it back at the end of the cruise, maybe even a report in person to the naughty room?

On 5/14/2022 at 7:03 AM, John&LaLa said:

I've had success re sealing wine bottles with a cork. Just need the plastic seals and a hair dryer

The real question is: What did you put in the bottles? Surely, not wine. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have never had a problem with bringing wine aboard.  They never checked the size or even took them out of our carry on.  Just glance in and wave on.  That being said, don't blame me if they take it from you, lol.  I would try though.  You can always go back and put it in your car.  

• Like 1

Back when I was using Rum Runners, I had them confiscated (checked luggage) once out of perhaps a half dozen times. Never had an issue carrying smaller amounts in my cargo pants - just don't draw attention to yourself - a couple of pints should fly below the radar.

Those days are behind me (since Cheryl told me to stop..)

Tom

• Like 1

OP, it's just up to you how much of a risk you are willing to take.  Personally I would carry them in one of those cloth like wine carriers with just the tops showing.  That's how we bring our wine on every time and they hardly glance at it.  In the proper carrier, probably wouldn't look much different than a normal 750mL bottle that way.  This is one of those areas where technically you are over the allowed limit, but really is it going to decrease their liquor sales because of it?  Doubt it.

Worst case they hold it until after the cruise I believe.

Dan

image.png.3c1445f70f4611725179d11b9f441c6e.png

Edited by The Fun Researcher

57 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Back when I was using Rum Runners, I had them confiscated (checked luggage) once out of perhaps a half dozen times. Never had an issue carrying smaller amounts in my cargo pants - just don't draw attention to yourself - a couple of pints should fly below the radar.

Those days are behind me (since Cheryl told me to stop..)

Tom

I never was caught bringing booze on board , I just stopped when they started the drink package. I drill bring in tequila to movies that serve margaritas to enhance my drink.

Just now, George C said:

I never was caught bringing booze on board , I just stopped when they started the drink package. I drill bring in tequila to movies that serve margaritas to enhance my drink.

Pretty much the same here - the arrival (and my acceptance) of beverage packages helped to seal the deal.

Tom

• Like 1